Quantcast how young is too young?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default how young is too young?

What is the youngest age infant that's reasonable to bring to WDW? We're planning on going in Sept with my DH and DD6, but we're signed at an adoption agency and we could get an infant any time. I am wondering at what point do I cancel the trip - if we get an infant a month before, 3 weeks before? Is two months old too young? Any advice?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First I would ask my pediatrician. Then it’s really up to you. A very young child definitely won’t remember anything from your trip and may not even react to anything she or he sees. Infants are a lot of work, if you think you can enjoy yourself, and enjoy your new baby while filling all of her or his needs, then go for it.
    1130 miles from the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I think your 6 year old will have a fun time because around the 5-6 range they actually remember bits and pieces (but make sure to take a lot of pictures for them to look back on!) But if you do have a newborn infant that may make your trip a little more stressful, but if you decided to go you can always do the baby swap thing on the rides. Have fun!
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, the first rule would be to follow a pediatrician's advice.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take an infant that could not yet support itself very well sitting up. (Once again, this is IMHO. I'm not a licensed physician...nor have I played one on TV.)

Post Thanks / Like

If the infant is healthy... don't cancel. First, you'll destroy the 6yo.

Secondly,

It's never too early.

There are two Birthing centers onsite... one located near the rear entrance to Cindy's castle the other in the land at epcot. So the......

Just kidding.........LOL

With an infant I would definatly divide and conquer. Depending on heat, I would base out of my hotel room and go out to the parks in stages with the infant based mainly at the room. The 6yo can go with dmom or ddad to the park while the other hangs out with the newbie.

I realize this may sound a little unfair as one parent spends time in the room or at the pool for a short trip...etc. but It's the way I would go
    I would freak if I had to spend all day at one of the parks with an infant. The worrying would probably negate any fun I would have had....

And while it IS disney... I still wouldn't feel right if I left "him, her" with grandma or sig other.

not to mention with a new child just getting away for a few hours while DH or someone else watches "him, her" is a welcome relief.... not to mention those few hours WOULD BE AT DW....

The anticipation of DW coming to "relive" me of my watch and being able to to go out and park hop as I wish is a kinda neat...

I have DD's 3 and 8 (3's first trip) We plan on doing a lot together but the above plan is "option 2" if she melts down or needs extended naps.

Scott
    Honeymoon, 89
    Poly 2002
    CR 2003
    Shades of Green May 2007
    GF June 2014 (25th Anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

We took our youngest in the blazing July heat when he was 6 months old. It was a terrific trip -- and it was really easy manoevering through WDW with an infant! I wouldn't take a child until he/she had all his/her vaccinations (after about 2 months) -- of course I am not a doctor either . Good luck with everything!!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

It also depends on the agency's rules. We were not allowed to take our son out of the state without notifying them. DS was technically not ours until we went to court, which was 7 months later. Also we had several visits from the social worker in the first couple of months to make sure everything was going OK.

But if the agency says OK, I would go for it.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

mttafire Guest

Default Well...

As long as everyone "kids" are healthy there really isnt a too young age. BUT, If its too difficult or too stressful on everyone involved then i would say thats too young.

Post Thanks / Like

My answer depends on how often you go to WDW. If the trip is a once in a lifetime experience I recomend that you wait until the child is at least four, so they will remeber some of it.

If WDW is something you do on a fairly regular basis, I would say go as soon as the the Doc says that the child can be in public.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

First off...congrats on becoming parents again..soon hopefully Secondly, I have to concur with many here. I think you should first find out what a doctor and the agency thinks about it. If they are both cool with it, then the next question would be how much patience do you have with carrying an infant around? I personally would not want to risk it. I would wait til the child is old enough to interact with others and be able to walk for it's self and enjoy many of the rides. My parents waited til me and my sis were 10 & 11. They wanted us to be able to walk for ourselves, be able to enjoy most of the rides, and be able to remember our experiences there. BUT I know many who have gone with an infant and found it to be no hassle at all. I guess it is up to you and what you and your family can handle.

Good Luck!!!
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

My best friend is a pediatrician. I recall a trip we made together to MK several years ago, where we encountered a lady with newborn quadtuplets (is that the right word for 4?). He spent several minutes talking to her, with no mention of any issues bringing them to the park. She obviously was unable to experience the major attractions, yet seemed to be having a good time just being there. Bringing an infant to WDW is a personal issue. Can you enjoy yourself just being there? Can you be attentive to your child despite all the distractions of the park? Will you be upset if the child's needs conflict with your own? Different people will answer these questions in different ways. Think about the situation, because really, only you know if it is a good idea or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I wouldn't take a child until he/she had all his/her vaccinations (after about 2 months) -- of course I am not a doctor either . Good luck with everything!!
    I'm not a doctor either, but I caught whooping cough either at WDW or on the plane down. I wouldn't bring a baby there before he or she had his/her vaccinations.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

As a mother of 3 DDs I would say if he/she is old enough that you would feel comfortable taking them out of the house for prolonged periods of time at home then why not at WDW? We took our middle DD when she was 3 1/2 months old and didn't have any problems at all. As long as the agency doesn't have a problem with it and neither do you then go for it!

P.S - My mother and aunt saw a mother changing a baby with the umbilical cord still attached on one of their trips! ( that usually falls off in the first 7-14 days) Not that's way too young!!! But other than that go for it!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tick-Tock View Post
    I'm not a doctor either, but I caught whooping cough either at WDW or on the plane down. I wouldn't bring a baby there before he or she had his/her vaccinations.
    Jeez, you are the only other person that I have heard that has had Whooping Cough. I had it this past winter and I was shocked when the Dr told me. Everyone else was shocked when I told them what it was. Everyone is under the impression that no one gets it anymore. I guess you and I are prrof that is not the case.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others who said to check with the agency first. Other then that I would say go and have fun! We're going in March 08 and will have a 9 month old. I think taking a little one maybe easier then taking a toddler.

Congrats and good luck!
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Riley Taylor's Mom View Post
    Jeez, you are the only other person that I have heard that has had Whooping Cough. I had it this past winter and I was shocked when the Dr told me. Everyone else was shocked when I told them what it was. Everyone is under the impression that no one gets it anymore. I guess you and I are prrof that is not the case.
    Same here! When I was diagnosed, I had no idea WC was still around. But apparently it's on the upswing, especially among teens and young adults, because the immunization they gave us as kids wears off (which no one realizes).
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

We took DD this past December when she was 2 months old. She had just been in the hospital with RSV 2 weeks before. We asked the pediatrician and she was ok with it. We did not have to fly of course. We had a great time and with the stroller/car seat combo we were able to keep her covered and warm. DH and I shared baby duty but I was just as content to let the kids and him enjoy the rides..but I am a big people watcher!
    michelle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone. It's been a while since I have had to deal with ages at immunizations, etc...Grandpa is coming with us already anyway, and this is only our second trip to the Kingdom. I didn't think to check with the agency about their rules! I will do that and check with the Dr., Thanks again!

mttafire Guest

Default Have fun...

Quote Originally Posted by dinahvixen View Post
    Thanks, everyone. It's been a while since I have had to deal with ages at immunizations, etc...Grandpa is coming with us already anyway, and this is only our second trip to the Kingdom. I didn't think to check with the agency about their rules! I will do that and check with the Dr., Thanks again!
    You' all will have a great time! I cant see any reason at all medically or legally why you wont be able to go. Have a great time!!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as the doctor and the agency have no problem with it, I think you should go. Your 6-year-old might have a hard time adjusting to sharing the parents, and it might make it harder if a very-looked-forward-to-trip is cancelled due to the baby also. Plus, if one parent does take the baby back to the room, it will give your 6-year-old some special one-on-one time with the other parent to know that he/she is not any less important.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: