Quantcast Two different Space Mountain tracks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Two different Space Mountain tracks?

I was watching the Travel Channel yesterday and they said that Space Mountain has two tracks. Is this true? I've never heard anything about it. And if there are two, is there a way to ride both tracks? Would I ask a CM to ride on a specific track?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes there are two tracks, one on the left and one on the right. When you get to the entrance to the main waiting area (the room where you actually board the ride) you will see the queue split. I believe both rides are supposed to be the same but a lot of people will tell you that they have a preference.
    1130 miles from the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, two tracks same layout. You can watch it on youtube going with the lights on!
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

That is true, there are two different tracks, one for each loading area. I do not think you can anymore, but you used to be able to choose, and the CMs would tell you which was the more intense ride (This was back in the 80s) Last time I was on it, you could not choose. I suspect if you asked the CM though they would let you ride the side that you did not ride on the first time.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

You will choose either the left or right side about 3/4 of the way through the line/queue.

Folks will tell you one side is scarier than the other, but they are identical except that the turns go in different directions (according to a CM I asked on our last vacation).

Post Thanks / Like

I found this a few days ago about the track layout.

Space Mountain - Magic Kingdom

This roller coaster is an 2 1/2-minute trip traveling at top speeds of 28 miles per hour inside a building 300ft wide and 180ft tall. The Florida version has two identical but mirrored tracks and guests are seated one behind the other in 6 seat cars. (The California version has only one track with passengers seated side by side).
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I've done both and for whatever reason, I prefer the left track.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ž.•*š)ž.•*š)ž.•*šMagicž.•*š)ž.•*š)ž.•*š

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    Folks will tell you one side is scarier than the other, but they are identical except that the turns go in different directions (according to a CM I asked on our last vacation).

I find it intresting that CMs say this now, because back in the 80s the CMs used to tell you they were different, the one on the right was supposed to be a rougher ride with bigger drops. I wonder if they redid the track layout, or if not enough people were riding one side of it. When I was a kid I rode it so much I could tell the difference between the sides. As an adult I usually only manage to get on it once per trip.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

The tracks are supposed to be mirror images of each other. One side is slightly longer (10-15 ft.)so it can cross over but that's about it
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there for the PIrate and Princess Party this Feb, we were randomly chosen for a tour of the Space Mountain control tower. The CM giving our tour said the tracks are the same, but one with a few extra feet of track to get to the ride started. I'm not sure if that has always been the case, but apparently now there is no difference.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

There never was any difference - the two tracks have always been identical, but mirror images of one another. I don't care what a CM might have told you - they were probably teasing you, anyway. All turns, all drops are identical, except opposite. Used to be called Alpha and Omega. They have never re-worked the tracks in any way (WAY WAY WAY too expensive an undertaking - the tracks are intertwined and it would be almost impossible to change one and not the other).

By the way, Space Mountain at Disneyland has undergone major rehab, and is smooth as glass and has a fabulous sound track (like RRC) that can CHANGE. I think there are three variations to the sound track, one is advertised to be featured at night (more rock-music-like) and one is more star-wars like.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan369 View Post
    I was watching the Travel Channel yesterday and they said that Space Mountain has two tracks. Is this true? I've never heard anything about it. And if there are two, is there a way to ride both tracks? Would I ask a CM to ride on a specific track?

Yes, when you board the ride, you are asked to go either to the right or the left. IMHO, the one on the left is crazier. But maybe that's all in my head.
    Stephane Morrell

[B]"Here we see Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous scientist Albert Falls"

Next Trip March 2008 - AKV/BCV split stay

Post Thanks / Like

Last year at 1 a.m. EMH's my son and I rode both sides of SM back to back. We both swore that the right side was a more intense ride. Isn't that the side where the car seems to leave the track for an instant? Mirror image, maybe, but there is a distinct difference to each side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    By the way, Space Mountain at Disneyland has undergone major rehab, and is smooth as glass and has a fabulous sound track (like RRC) that can CHANGE. I think there are three variations to the sound track, one is advertised to be featured at night (more rock-music-like) and one is more star-wars like.
    Rockin' Space Mountain stinks. It takes all the fun out of SM. It's like RRC Lite, and listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers is not what I call Disney, at least not in Disneyland. They have concert lighting all over that lights up the dome and you can see the track in front of you.

As for MK's SM, as said above, it's the same track, each side mirrors each other. One is a bit longer to cross over the other. The only major change has been the trains. They went from the Matterhorn bobsled type trains, to individual seating.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

mttafire Guest

Default Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post
    Rockin' Space Mountain stinks. It takes all the fun out of SM. It's like RRC Lite, and listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers is not what I call Disney, at least not in Disneyland. They have concert lighting all over that lights up the dome and you can see the track in front of you.

As for MK's SM, as said above, it's the same track, each side mirrors each other. One is a bit longer to cross over the other. The only major change has been the trains. They went from the Matterhorn bobsled type trains, to individual seating.
    This is the first complaint ive ever heard about the new S.M. at Disneyland. We LOVED it. It is my hope that the rehab that the M.K. Space M. is about to undergo will be the same as D.L. I have heard that the M.K. Space M. is very close to the refurb date..?

Post Thanks / Like

I have ridden it before and never knew this, thanks for the little bit of trivia.
    1986 Off Site
    1994 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2004 Off Site
    2008 Pop Century
    2011 Off Site MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post
    Yes, when you board the ride, you are asked to go either to the right or the left. IMHO, the one on the left is crazier. But maybe that's all in my head.
    you go left or right befor the Control Tower not after you board the trains. Both tracks are mirror images of each other except that they go in opposite directions of each other.
    someone said that one side might feel more intense then the other depending on which hand is your dominate hand(left or right). I don't know about that because I've ridden both sides and on diferent days B side seems more intense then A side then visa versa. Have any of you ridden Space Mountain with the lights on?
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    This is the first complaint ive ever heard about the new S.M. at Disneyland. We LOVED it. It is my hope that the rehab that the M.K. Space M. is about to undergo will be the same as D.L. I have heard that the M.K. Space M. is very close to the refurb date..?
    The ride itself, is great. It's the one of the smoothest Vekoma's out there. It was the Rockin' layover that's just terrible. Red Hot Chili Peppers in Disney? And in Tomorrowland? What's this all aboot?
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

its true that there are 2 tracks. i have ridden both and there is no real difference besides that one is on the right and one is on the left.
    Taylor

been over 10 times and aint stoppin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post
    Oh good. I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that
    Mark, Disney Dork & proud of it șoș

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: