Quantcast Down Town Disney...yeah or nay?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Down Town Disney...yeah or nay?

My last trip to WDW was sooo busy that we did not get a chance to go to Down town Disney. Did I miss much? Is it just shopping? I am totally clueless? Any info would be awesome. Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I can't go home without visiting downtown disney

Yes mainly shopping and food, but it is very fun to walk around. A lot to see. But I would never go to dd over a park.
    4.19.02- Baked for the mouse
    2002-Baked at Epcot’s Food and Wine
    11.13.02- Took a Norwalk Virus Disney Cruise
    6.20.04-Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion/ Reception at Boardwalk
    Old Key West:My Home
    "But father...I'm indecent" C.O.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! Downtown Disney is pretty much shopping, but the atmosphere is great. The little shops are great to browse even if you don't buy anything. At the Marketplace there is a small train, a carousel, and you can even rent boats down at the marina. There is also the Lego Imagination Center at the Marketplace, and your kids can build anything they desire outside on little work tables (thats if you have boys that are into legos). Pleasure Island is nightclubs, and the West Side is more shopping, but has a city feel to it. Again, the shops at the West Side are very cool and interesting, especially Starabilias. They have some great movie-related memorabilia. Then there is also Disney Quest, which is an indoor interactive theme park (read: video games). The admission is a little steep at 30+ per person, but great for a rainy day! You also have quite a few table service eateries to choose from such as the Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood.
    -Ray

Over 15 week-long trips since 1988, as well as...

Many, Many day trips now that I live 20 miles away!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there are a lot of shops. But they also have several great restraunts, Disney Quest, the Cirque Du Soleil® La NouBa, Paradise Island, etc. It wouldn't be bad to check out maybe when you first arrive at WDW or maybe later on during the evening after a visit at one the parks.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much just shopping. WIth all the merchandise being offered in every store on property the usefulness of shopping at DTD has greatly dimished.

We used to go so we could ship everything from the same store, but the benefits of that no longer exist. We spent all of 4 hours there on our last trip, probably less next time.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a shopping and entertainment area. We skipped it last trip, too, but we have been there and will go back next trip. If time is short, better to spend it at the parks.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We went there last year after we had eaten at Boma. We were staying at GF and had to go to AKL, so changed buses at DTD. We enjoyed just strolling though the shops and people watching. My DD(20) headed back to the resort, so it was just the DH and I enjoying ourselves. I don't know if I'd do it with kids though, it might cost too much!!!
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    Dec. 07--Wilderness Lodge,
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I love DTD Marketplace.

When I am in the parks, I am too busy doing rides, shows, etc. to really shop. I use DTD as my "after hours" shopping time. When the parks close, I head straight down there. I like the "one stop shopping" of World of Disney. Plus the 10% AP discount helps too!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't like DTD because it's usually much too crowded for my liking. I can put up with crowds in the parks but not at DTD. I don't even plan time to go there anymore - I can't see wasting time to go shopping when I could be in the parks.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Pretty much just shopping. WIth all the merchandise being offered in every store on property the usefulness of shopping at DTD has greatly dimished.
    Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenuff View Post
    Personally I love DTD Marketplace.When I am in the parks, I am too busy doing rides, shows, etc. to really shop. I use DTD as my "after hours" shopping time. When the parks close, I head straight down there. I like the "one stop shopping" of World of Disney. Plus the 10% AP discount helps too!
    This is so true....because you cannot get the discount at the park....
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

DTD is fantastic, but do it after the parks have closed....it's really relaxing down there and a lot of neat shops to explore.
    Kristi Kay
    2003 CP Cast Member

“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
    –Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I say Yea to Downtown Disney.............

Why you ask.......

I like the market place.....
    I can go through the Christmas store and look around at the great stuff... A lot they don't have in the parks.....

Out back you can take pictures with Snow Goofy and Mickey.......

I like to walk through the Art Of Disney.....

And I like to eat at Earl Of sandwich.... Very cheep sandwiches.......

BRET/TTFN
    DVC Member 7/04 Wilderness Lodge Villas 6-08 Saratoga Springs
    Next Trip 6-16
    Disney Cruise 6-16
    Disney World tons of times

Post Thanks / Like

You must go at some point. We go once almost every trip. It is amazing just to walk through the stores and look at all the details (Hint look up), they have so many stores and places to eat. We just enjoy walking around and taking in the sights, watching the kids play in the water, looking at the large lego sculptures, Disney Art work in the gallery, etc... There is also the west side and the stores over there and the movie theater.

Post Thanks / Like

Yay!

I love DTD particularly for the atmosphere and great places to people watch. Lots of great Kodak moments, some unique shops, and there's something about Cirque that makes me feel giddy too...it's a lively place and a lot of fun to walk around and soak it all in, especially through Ghirardelli's window, soaking up a chocolate soda as well.
    Now, bring me that horizon... 8(:-D
    TIx2GR
    [/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

There is SO MUCH TO DO in Downtown Disney!

When I lived down there I'd always go to Giradelli's for ice cream and sit outside and people watch.

Now, the Earl of Sandwich is the place to be- BEST sandwiches EVER (and I'm a Panerea Bread and Fresh City girl!)

Downtown Disney is great for if you rean out of passes or didn't get a hopper, it's a nice back-up. Also, if the weather is crummy, you have a ton of shops to hide in, you can head over to the West Side and sometimes sneak into Disney Quest on a discount (suring the off seasons) or learn a magic trick at the magic store, or even catch a movie at AMC.

DON'T recommend Bongos, though. They had multiple healt code violations when I lived down there. May have cleaned up their act since then but I still envision the rats from the Muppets Take Manhattan making my food.
    07-08 Prem Annual Pass-logged 27 days!
    06 Off Prop- Renaissance
    06 PC
    06 Off Prop-DTD
    05 Off Prop- DTD
    05 Off Prop- Masters Inn
    04 WL
    03 Off Prop- Masters Inn
    02 College Program
    99 ASM
    96 Off Property-Magic Music Days
    94 POR (Dixiel Landings forever)

Post Thanks / Like

its primarily shopping but there are also restaurants too. if you get a chance to go to DTD for lunch, stop by Earl of Sandwich. they have the best sandwiches EVER!
    -Corey-

Excuse me? Are you lookin' at me? Did you rub my lamp? Did you wake me up? Did you bring me here? And all of a sudden you're walking out on me? I don't think so, not right now. You're getting your wishes, so sit down!

Post Thanks / Like

Love DTD!!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I concur. DTD is a must for us. It's a really neat atmosphere, lots of great shops, and Ghiradelli's!
    Gawrsh

1979 - Polynesian Village
    1988 - Treehouses
    1990 - Treehouses
    1997 - Disney Institute Villas/Yacht and Beach Club
    1999 - Disney Institute Villas
    2001 - Carribean Beach
    2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 - Pop Century
    2010 - Offsite/Port Orleans Riverside
    2014 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We go there just for the Earl of Sandwich sometimes. Delicious

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

i say yeah. it has shopping but also has lots of restaurants, shows and the virgin record show which is a must for me. another good place you should visit is the boardwalk. i love the boardwalk more than DTD because it is homier to me and not as crowded. hope this helps
    Taylor

been over 10 times and aint stoppin.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: