Quantcast Bringing a child's friend

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bringing a child's friend

My trip in May has morphed from just DH & me to just me & 2 9 1/2 year old boys. One of the boys is my DS best friend. Any advice on bring a child's friend? I know this boy well, he's always @ my house. Do I need any type of medical consent papers from his mom? Anything other documents I should have? The friend does have asthma and medication for it.
    01-93 off sight
    03-04 POP
    08-04 POP
    03-05 POP
    11-05 POP
    06-06 POR
    05-07 CSR
    01-08 POP
    07-08 POR
    03-09 ASMU
    08-09 POP
    08-10 POP
    02-11 POP

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately get a medical release form from his parents so if their is any medical emergency you can handle it. Make sure you know how to handle his Asthma before you leave and ask his parents for as much info as you can about it. I would also make sure to go over the rules with your son's friend and also his parents to make sure there are no misunderstandings once you get their. We are a bit strict with our DD's so alot of times their friends are permitted to do things that mine are not. It just helps to know the rules ahead of time so your sons friend knows what to expect.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about obtaining the medical consent from the parents. As a mom w/ one w/ asthma our best trick in the park for breathing is caffine. A coke can act as a great stimulant (got this tip from my SIL pediatrician). My dd reacts to the scents in the countries- perfumes and candles and the high humidity. A/C is also great.
    Other issues--$$. Do plan any spending amounts w/ the parents. If the kids have different spending amounts it can lead to sad faces. I'm not talking about a couple of dollars but if one has a greatly different amount. Also discuss the security for the money. Some kids are not use to handling money.
    Food, it's great to have a good idea on what types of food he enjoys or any allergies. My dd's doctor didn't want her having milk b/c of her asthma.
    It's pretty easy at that age b/c they are still young enough to follow your park plans.
    It can be a lot of fun when your child has a friend b/c they have a partner too.
    Sounds like a great time....
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

Taking friends can be tricky but a great experience if handled well. Have a "family meeting" with his parents to discuss things like behavior, discipline, spending, what he can (or can't) eat, how much sleep he needs, his hygeine needs, etc. The more you know about his and his parents expectations, the better. I would especially make sure that both of the boys and the other boy's parents agree on expected behavior and disciplinary action - you don't want his parents angry because you felt the need to discipline him but they don't agree. As far as the asthma, speak to his parents and find out how they handle it and plan to treat him accordingly. Also find out what his symptoms are - does he just wheeze, does he gasp for breath, does he turn purple (I'm not kidding!), etc so you are not caught off guard and freeze because you've never seen him like that before. Definately take his medical information and a medical release authorizing you to sign for his care in case he needs medical attention. Carry his inhalers and/or other medications with you and keep him on his medication schedule - set an alarm if you need to. Don't treat his asthma based on what other people tell you - follow his doctor's and his parents' treatment plan - these are the people who know him best. Sometimes the treatment that works for one may be detrimental to another. If the need arises, don't hesitate to get professional medical help. Have a great trip!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

on top of medical release or power of attorney, don't forget a copy of his insurance card!!! also a child that age that has grown up with illness know how to handle it themselves alot of times. which is also a perk because it may mean he's more mature so you might not have to worry so much, only a little. but definately sit down with his parents and ask what they would expect from him on a vacation like that, being that it is a vacation if they were super strict i would cut him some slack but other wise i would hold him to his parents expectations. also make sure you have a number where you can reach at least one parent at all times!!!
    Last edited by tigger24601; 03-31-2007 at 09:23 PM. Reason: one more thought

Post Thanks / Like

We took DD's best friend (11) last Sept. and we had the parents right several notorized (spell) notes: one for medical attention, one giving us permission to take her out of the state, and one with several emergency numbers. It went off without a hitch. We had a great time. Good luck!!!
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

Besides all the info posted above, I would also take some form of ID for the friend ( copy of birth cert, state issued ID, etc). Make sure everyone knows the rules, expectations, etc and what will happen if rules are broken. You might also have the other parents ask their son what concerns/questions he has (and may not be comfortable asking you in a family meeting) and they can share with you. (ex; sleeping in a room with adults who are not his parents, what if he has an "embarrassing moment" etc) The more you can talk beforehand about whatever may come up, the more prepared you will be.

Post Thanks / Like

I too was going to suggest getting the medical release form notarized. My doctor told me that it needs to be notarized in order for the doctor to accept it. I'm not sure if that's just a MA ruling or not. Maybe try calling one of the medical centers/hospitals down there to see what would be needed? But hopefully it won't be needed.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I let each of my children take a friend when they were younger. I knew one parent extremely well and we had lots of discussion and the other parent not well at all, but had talked with her prior to going. The only problem I had was my daughter's friend got extremely homesick beginning the first night. That was really hard to deal with because I never experienced a child going through that before. You might check to make sure if there are any comfort items the child might need in this case.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: