PDA

View Full Version : Kid "Leashes"

PrincessJadesMom
03-24-2007, 06:35 PM
I am taking my DD (age 6) to WDW next month. We are going by ourselves (just the 2 of us). I am afraid we might get seperated. We had some friends that took their DD who was the same age and he got lost. Obviously his mom was terrified when she couldn't find him (which she did later). I panick when I think of that happening to us. My mom suggested that we get one of those "kid leashes", but those are for really little kids and I don't think it would fit my DD. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Rick Blaine
03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
I think the politically correct term for those things is tethers.

iluvdizney2
03-24-2007, 07:05 PM
we got a wrist strap for my youngest and it worked really well. He is 5.5 and he didnt mind as he felt free from hand holding. It basically is a velcro strap on the wrist and a 4 foot long strap that has a "handle" on the parents side. So what we did was loop the handle part around a belt loop on us, and strapped his wrist up. no one was holding hands and no arguments about "my arms hurt" !
We did have one person at the airport very loudly and ignorantly say "kids have parents, DOGS have leashes" and my reply was equally as loud and "yes that may be true but I KNOW where my child is and I AM keeping it that way, but thank you for your very uneducated comment."
Good luck....and have a BLAST at Disney!

Spartan_Jeff
03-24-2007, 07:25 PM
I stare in awe every time I see a child on a leash. I have 2 young girls and we have went to WDW for years and have never use a "leash". We also have never had any problems with losing our children. This is just my opinion, but let your child have a bit of dignity and scrap the child "leash/teather/strap" idea. I always feel my children are at Disney to have fun, not to be dragged around like a mule.

Monkey Magic
03-24-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't understand why someone would put their child on a leash. Unless you've had severe issues in the past, it just seems mean. I know I wouldn't have wanted my parents to put a leash on me when I was little!

kadesha
03-24-2007, 07:36 PM
i am a proud user of the harness. i have a 2 and 3 year old, it's impossible to just "hold hands" and keep up with them. I use the harness for freedom so they aren't stuck in the stroller all day. I don't understand why people "stare in awe," because I am taking necessary precautions to prevent my kids from getting away from me, or from someone snatching them for that matter. I don't think my kids are going to run away, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a harness, they are a wonderful way to keep small kids safe without using a stroller.

Monkey Magic
03-24-2007, 07:44 PM
i am a proud user of the harness. i have a 2 and 3 year old, it's impossible to just "hold hands" and keep up with them. I use the harness for freedom so they aren't stuck in the stroller all day. I don't understand why people "stare in awe," because I am taking necessary precautions to prevent my kids from getting away from me, or from someone snatching them for that matter. I don't think my kids are going to run away, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a harness, they are a wonderful way to keep small kids safe without using a stroller.

Wouldn't you rather sit in a shady, comfortable stroller all day and be wheeled around than have to walk in the hot, Florida sun?

iluvdizney2
03-24-2007, 07:55 PM
we have a hyperactive autistic child with MD and personally it really comes down to personal choice and safety for the individual family....we could use a wheelchair because of his disability. We chose to let him move as much as he can to prevent any outbursts that would happen in a public setting, and the strap keeps us in control which is exactly what some children need in order to feel safe. personal choice, and I would hope no one would judge.

PrincessJadesMom
03-24-2007, 08:13 PM
I am more concerned about my little girls safety than I am about what people think about what I do. :angry: "iluvdizney2" I was wondering if you could tell me where you got your arm strap? That sounds like a great idea! Thanks! :thanks:

kadesha
03-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Wouldn't you rather sit in a shady, comfortable stroller all day and be wheeled around than have to walk in the hot, Florida sun?

I sure would!! However, my 2 and 3 year olds HATE the stroller and want to walk! I'm not taking the chance of letting one or both of them get away from me or be snatched by a stranger. It gives them more freedom than a stroller.

iluvdizney2
03-24-2007, 08:24 PM
I got it at Toys R Us...
and as far as the rude coments go, I live with them all the time because ignorance is what people tend to rely on when they cant come up with educated conversation.
When you deal with medical issues every day and people act this way you really need to let it roll off your back and take it with a grain of salt...so I will suggest to just let it roll of your back. Those people are not worth the time it takes for you to reply....

PrincessJadesMom
03-24-2007, 08:37 PM
"kadesha" and "iluvdizney2", thank you very much for your answers and your support!!! :mickey:

kadesha
03-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Just to add:

I get negative stares sometimes, but I get far more compliments from people! I dont know how many people have asked where I got them (they are backpacks shaped like puppy dogs, with the detachable wrist strap) and just gave a general compliment that they are a good idea this day and age. So don't think you'll be stared at like a freak or anything because it's not like that. It's sad to see that there are so many judgemental people on here who are against a form of children's safety! :confused:

mouseaddict
03-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Let me point out that there are tons of threads on these boards about people with strollers and how they are annoying and offensive. I too am proud to say that I used a harness for my son. Have you watched the news lately? I personally do not want to be the one to identify my child at the morgue.
You can get a really neat harness at Target, it is made by Eddie Bauer. It is a little bear backpack with a pocket in it. The bear's tail has a wrist strap for parents. I never "dragged" my son, I held his hand and if he let go I knew that he could not get far. He loved his "back pack" and we put his park passes and door key in it so that he would feel "grown up"
I don't know if your 6 year old will fit the harness. I also make sure that when I get to the park that I point out cast members and we also attach a card to his pants with our cell # on it.
Enjoy your trip and don't let what others think bother you. If your child is safe that is all that matters.

NotaGeek
03-24-2007, 09:28 PM
The first time I went to Disneyland in Anaheim I was 8 and my brother was 5 and if ONLY those pesky kid leashes had been invented (I am 38!) ... my parents would have used them ... or a LoJack since my brother managed to wander off at least 3 times! I say. leash, Lo-Jack, whatever it takes to keep the kids safe.

I am single and child-less (thank goodness) but I actually frown and get WAY more annoyed by kids running around by themselves knowing that WDW and DLR aren't always the safest places for kids on their own. My friend and I happened upon a little boy that looked about 3 years old crying his eyes out wandering through DTD last summer at Disneyland. It made me SICK to think that if it hadn't been us that stopped and took him into a store and called security what could have happened. After we turned him in we found a frantic and hysterical mother running through DTD screaming his name. SCARY.

As a parent it's not about personal freedom, it's about your kids safety!

bratmaster
03-24-2007, 10:43 PM
I have never been a fan of the leashes, but when we went last time my youngest was 2, and i bought one just in case it got real bad. It turns out, he was the BEST behaved of all my kids! I never had a problem with him, and he mostly stayed in the stroller anyhow. (Turns out my oldest, who was 9, was the one i wanted a leash for - to wrap around her neck.)
Anyhow, i think it is all personal choice. However, i really can't see using one for a 6 year old. I think that would be more for your benefit than hers. does she know her name, phone number, your name, things like that? If she does i wouldn't worry. I would think it is more in her best interest to teach her about who the safe people are to go to if she gets lost at that age, and about stranger safety. I know that if my 7 year old gets separated from me i would be in a panick, but i know that she can talk to somebody and would get back to me eventually. The leashes i think benefit toddlers more so because they cannot talk or help themselves at all, and they could be easily picked up and carried away without a fuss. I would say that unless your child is very shy and cannot speak to adults, or unless she has some sort of handicap, i would forego the leash. If you are really worried another good option is some sort of ID. If she is afraid to talk to people or doesn't know her phone number you can just teach her that if she gets lost to show somebody her ID.

wdw_bound
03-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Having a daughter who is a stroke survivor has taught me not to judge others. I used to. Like many of us, I was one of those self-righteous, holier than thou people who couldn't understand why that healthy looking grade-schooler was in a stroller, or why that mom was using a harness with her child. I was a self-righteous know-it-all.

Then my daughter was born. And from her, I learned the power of the human spirit and the strength of determination to overcome almost impossible odds. The opinions of those who have nothing better to do than pass judgement just aren't all that important.

My daughter is now 8 and still needs a stroller sometimes, albeit one designed for special needs kids. Given the hours and hours of physical therapy, medical interventions, and sheer grit and courage it took her to walk at all, I'll gladly push her in a stroller when her leg gets tired.

We have used a harness to keep her safe until she was old enough to understand exactly what steps to take should she get separated from us. Now that she is older, she has cell phone numbers memorized and knows to find a CM the moment she realizes she's alone, but until recently, I couldn't be sure that the beauty of a butterfly or a rainbow reflected on a puddle wouldn't be enough to distract her just long enough to wander off. I'm still not sure, but at least I know that she has the ability to help us help her.

Both the stroller and the harness can and have had judgement passed on me as a parent and my daughter (whose disability is often not noticeable to the casual observer). But the lesson I have been taught is that what others think doesn't matter. As parents, we are all just doing the best we know how to do. Let's all try to remember that the next time we see something that makes us feel smug.

Melanie
03-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Moderator Alert!

I've had to remove some nasty, sarcastic comments from this thread, and from some who have been around INTERCOT long enough to know that we won't tolerate it. That is very disappointing!

You can give your thoughts and opinions while respecting others. Please do so!

iluvdizney2
03-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Thank you.

kadesha
03-24-2007, 11:15 PM
can[/I] give your thoughts and opinions while respecting others. Please do so!

thanks you, i, personally, was very offended at some of the remarks.

bkfree
03-24-2007, 11:54 PM
I can see why you may see the need in a tether. We have never had to use one. We just practiced before hand the distance that they can get from us(no more than two arms lengths) and what to do if we by some remote chance get seperated.They are to plant their feet and not to move, even if they need to sit down where they are. If we are both moving, hard to find, it they are still, much easier. Thankfully we have never become seperated, they know how close to keep by us.We use this method at home no matter where we go, so doing it at WDW was nothing new.
I did encounter some tethered kiddos at WDW, the only problem I saw with it there was that because of the length of the tether , many bystanders, passerbyes and other kids would get tangled or tripped up with it.
What I did see that worked better was the back pack tether that kept them if front of you and less chance that others would walk between.
One Step ahead sells harness type tether that attaches at the back like a back pack.
AS for the stares.AS the Mom of an Autism SPectrum son.either completely ignore or stare back.
Enjoy your trip.

PirateLover
03-25-2007, 01:39 AM
I admit that in the past I've been one who has occasionally judged the "leash" when I've seen it, but only in my own mind. I've never stared or made comments, and I completely understand that there can be a need for one when you have a child with a disorder. I also understand that not all disorders are visible. But if your child is perfectly healthy and over the toddler age, then I think you should go more with the suggestions made by Bratmaster and forgo the tether. I was a hyperactive kid myself, but my parents instilled enough discipline in me as well as knowledge of all the important details I would need to know if I got lost. One of my earliest memories was learning a song that went "My name is such-and-such, this is where I live, 123 blah blah blah, Philadelphia PA."

Anyway I guess my point is, when it comes to healthy children, there are definitely arguments for both sides. Just because one person feels that the benefits of using this method outweigh any of the negative associations doesn't mean that anyone who disagrees is uneducated or ignorant. By the same token, those who disagree with this method should not be so quick to judge others who use it. :grouphug:

duckhere
03-25-2007, 02:39 AM
One year I worked as a law enforcement dispatch at a state fair. During the fair, it was not uncommon to have between 5 to 15 kids go missing, while a parent stopped to look at something or just turned around for a second. In dealing with the kids, most were so panicked they could hardly remember their name, let alone the name of their parents. Parents who had lost track of their kids worried themselves literally sick while waiting for word.

These weren't bad parents. Kids have a tendency to move, and in a sea of adults, become very difficult to find. After announcing child after child on the radio to units, I decided that anything I could do to prevent that kind of trauma to my kids and to the family would be time well spent. A tether is just a little more peace of mind in a scary world.

People should be applauded for having a little foresight and willingness to actually parent the kids, and keeping them safe from harm, whether its WDW or keeping a child from running into the street.

prttynpnk
03-25-2007, 07:40 AM
As I non-childrearer, may I say something?
If you wish to handle your child with a tether so they can look at things and get some excersize while still being supervised, go baby go!
I'd rather see a child being attended to than some parent screaming across the park at a toddler running amuck, or a parent not even noticing that the kid is licking the sidewalk?!
Just get abrightly colored one so I don't run into it while I'm running amuck unsupervised.

Imakejessicarabbitjelous
03-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Personally i think its up to you what works for you best. If you have a runaway kid and don want to loose them but they are bit older use the strap if they are younger use the reigns or a stroller. Nobody should judge its personal preference.:)

CandleontheWater
03-25-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't have any children *yet* but when I do, you better believe that they'll be wearing a tether! I remember losing my little brother in WDW, and that was really scary for the whole family. Parents know thier children best, if you think your child has a tendancy for wandering off, and/or being scared senseless if they get separted from you, than by all means, tether away! I'd much rather see a happy tethered child romping around WDW than a crying scared child separated from thier parents!

Sharon1026
03-25-2007, 09:18 AM
How is she when you go to the mall or other crowded venues? If she's a well behaved kid and a good listener, then you won't need the leash. By the time kids are 6 years old, they shouldn't really need them. If you DD does get seperated from you, have her go up to any cast member. Stick a note in her pocket with your name, cell phone number, address, etc., just in case. CM's are trained in how to handle this situation.

A 6 year old on a leash is a bit overprotective...

CleveSJM
03-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I am in the anti-leash crowd. Unless the child has some behavorial issues that might make them a "flight risk."

I just make sure my kids know what to do if they get lost. WDW is full of people who will help a lost child. Make sure they have cell phone numbers on their person at all time. I'd even get them their own cell phone for the trip. They have virtually disposable ones at Walmart and other stores for under $30. You can pre-load speed dial numbers, etc. I've done this with my 5 year old and he doesn't have a problem. (Some of the phones even have built in GPS...)

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-25-2007, 10:40 AM
I understand the reasons people want to use tethers/leashes, personally, we have never used one..nor would we consider it. That is just what is right for our family. I would never judge someone who does feel comfortable using them for THEIR children.

We have been taking the kids to WDW since they were all under one. They are always taught, there and at home, not to leave our sides, to pay attention to where we are in case we stop or something and to go to another person (CM, another Mom Type person or a security person) to ask for help in the event they get separted. The older ones, of course, know all of their personal info including our cell phone numbers. The youngest we are just overly cautious with. DH or I are constantly keeping an eye on her and verbalize that too. If I am stopping to look at something, I tell DH that he has Taylor. Vice versa. Thankfully, we have never had a problem.

All that being said..lol...I agree with the posters that talked about the back pack style harnesses. Those seem alot more comfortable then the wrist ones and will not impede other people in any way.

I understand your fears. My oldest son is ADD and thankfully, has no problem listening or following instructions. But, if anyone was to get distracted by something and walk away, etc, it would be him. We have just been on top of all of them since birth.

Have a great trip and try not to worry too much!!

mttafire
03-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I stare in awe every time I see a child on a leash. I have 2 young girls and we have went to WDW for years and have never use a "leash". We also have never had any problems with losing our children. This is just my opinion, but let your child have a bit of dignity and scrap the child "leash/teather/strap" idea. I always feel my children are at Disney to have fun, not to be dragged around like a mule.

Agreed 100%. We have one child"2" and one on the way. There is NO way in the world we would use a leashes. To us they are just ridiculous. PLEASE as others have said dont use them.:mickey:

kadesha
03-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I don;'t have a suggestion, but I think "kid leashes" are demeaning to both people, and isn't the answer...

I have a 2 and 3 year old who HATE the stroller, they will not ride in it for over 10 minutes. Could you please recommend something to keep them safe? I had no idea that I was demeaning them by using a harness, I thought I was keeping them safe from running away or being scooped up by a stranger. :confused:
I just seriously don't get it, am i a bad parent because I don't want to risk turning my back for one second and they get away from me?? What is the answer? I can't possibly hold both of their hands all the time, I ocassionally need a free hand.

As I said earlier, this thread is very offending to me and others who keep their kids safe by using a harness. I don't see anyone bashing the choices of non-harness users. Please show some respect!

WDW_Obsessed
03-25-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't have any children yet, but I have experienced how quickly children can escape you. My two year old niece got lost at the mall, and I swear to you that she wasn't out of our sight for more than a second. I turned around and she was gone. I found her a few minutes later, but it terrified me to the core. She is so quick, and absolutley hates to ride in a stroller. I know she would not like to be in a stroller at WDW and could envision her jetting immediately at Disney. I can imagine a little tether would be perfect for her, as her parents also have three year old twins (yikes). As long as a parent isn't causing any harm to their children I don't think others should be so judgemental about a parent's personal choices. What gives you the right? Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes...you just never know.:twocents:

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
03-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I would not tell someone what they should do with their child. Some think that I would be wrong to let my 7 year old ride in a stroller, but I have done that because it was what we needed at the time.

I will say that a six year old who doesn't have any special needs may be embarassed by wearing a tether. I think my girls would. I think they believe they are too old for that.

I have had some difficulty with my youngest staying in the stroller during a few trips when she was 2 or 3. We started out with her riding and when she got tired of riding, I carried her! Itrudged all over WDW with her on my hip, I knew she wouldn't get out of my reach :blush: On later trips we didn't have a problem with her staying in the stroller.

mttafire
03-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I have a 2 and 3 year old who HATE the stroller, they will not ride in it for over 10 minutes. Could you please recommend something to keep them safe? I had no idea that I was demeaning them by using a harness, I thought I was keeping them safe from running away or being scooped up by a stranger. :confused:
I just seriously don't get it, am i a bad parent because I don't want to risk turning my back for one second and they get away from me?? What is the answer? I can't possibly hold both of their hands all the time, I ocassionally need a free hand.

As I said earlier, this thread is very offending to me and others who keep their kids safe by using a harness. I don't see anyone bashing the choices of non-harness users. Please show some respect!
Sometimes opinions MAY offend people. Thats just the way debates are.I dont want to see any bashing either though. Sometimes threads on here are on sensative subjects, This is one of them. NO one should be bashing BUT the folks on here opposed to using leashes are entitled to thier feelings. :mickey:

Strmchsr
03-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Sometimes opinions MAY offend people. Thats just the way debates are.I dont want to see any bashing either though. Sometimes threads on here are on sensative subjects, This is one of them. NO one should be bashing BUT the folks on here opposed to using leashes are entitled to thier feelings. :mickey:

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, the way you express the opinion is the concern of the moderators. Saying, "I find the child restraint helpful" or "Those aren't right for our family" is 100% okay. Saying, "Using a child leash is demeaning and makes you a horrible parent." is not okay. Stating an opinion is fine, regardless of whether others agree with it. Downing another person or questioning their competency as a parent/person is never okay.

mttafire
03-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, the way you express the opinion is the concern of the moderators. Saying, "I find the child restraint helpful" or "Those aren't right for our family" is 100% okay. Saying, "Using a child leash is demeaning and makes you a horrible parent." is not okay. Stating an opinion is fine, regardless of whether others agree with it. Downing another person or questioning their competency as a parent/person is never okay.
I'll agree with that..:cheers:

Spartan_Jeff
03-25-2007, 02:15 PM
This thread has made me realize that children with special medical could benefit from a child tether. It is important for us all to remember that children are the most important people at WDW and whatever makes them happy should not be put down. I do not know how many children visit on any given day but i usually only see a handful of leashes.

EeyoresBestFriend
03-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Folks, as a childless couple, I wish to commend you for standing your ground and using the safeguards available for young children when in a crowd. If I had my own I would use them as well. No one wants to see a child terrified out of their mind because they've been separated from their family.

:thumbsup: Good on ya and know that there are more people that think you are setting a great example of considerate parenting, not only for your kids, but those about you, who also wish to have a good time.
PS ~ also see the "wild child" comments on the 'rude guest' thread to see how other people feel about some "free children".

kadesha
03-25-2007, 02:42 PM

the quote i was refering to called parents and children who use harnesses demeaning. I think that's ok to be offended about. Saying they don't think it's right for them is ok, but to say rude things about people who do is not ok! I have not said a thing about people who don't use the harnesses, although I don't think it's a good idea to let your very young child roam freely (not in a stroller or harness) in the park, I would never put down anyone's parenting!!! Each to their own, but there's no need to be nasty towards anyone's parenting styles!

and just to add, I don't think anyone makes their kids spend a whole day on a harness. My kids only wear them at select times, when I feel the crowds are extra heavy, or when they are extra hyper! Mine have detachable straps, and they wear them as backpacks, which they love very much! I would not confine them all day at Disneyworld, not in a stroller or a harness!

cetacean01
03-25-2007, 03:53 PM
If it makes you feel better, use the tether. I have two children ages 5 and 18 mos and I will continue to use the tether as long as children continue to be taken and victimized. Children become lost in the blink of an eye, save your self the trauma and use it. If, when you get there, it doesnt work out for you then simply take it off. Its not a matter of denyingyour children dignity, or making them the object of stares and comments. Its a matter of EVERYONE feeling safe, secure and enjoying themselves. :thumbsup:

Speedy1998
03-25-2007, 04:02 PM

You can not bring a stroller in line, which is where they are most likely to try and get away from you. Also where they will have the easiest time getting away from you, they fit under the chains that mark the ques, adults do not.

Carol
03-25-2007, 04:49 PM
:offtopic:

The OP did not ask for anyone's opinion on tethers. Since the warnings made by Moderators earlier were not listed to - this thread is closed.