PDA

View Full Version : Sw Air By Ta

GOOFY4U
03-24-2007, 11:22 AM
My wife and i are going to WDW april 15-21 by sw air. We are booked though a travel agency here in ne Pa., on a charter flight. We are both in our 60's and have not flown in over 20 years. Our travel agent has not been much help so we are asking your help. We have our tickets for plane and reservations at GF. What is difference between a charter and other sw flights in the aspect of tickets, boarding passes. We have been on the this site for 3 weeks now and are confused as to what we need to do to board plane and where we get our boarding passes and when. Especially on our return it seems even harder. Some get their passes at the resort some dont. We know for a lot of you this is a dumb question but for us its something we dont understand. We would appreciate any help you can give us.

GOOFY4U

Strmchsr
03-24-2007, 01:10 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!!! I hope we can answer your questions.

I really can't help you with the charter flight. Never done one of those. I think your best bet on that is to call SW and ask them. Normal procedure is you can get your boarding passes 24 hours in advance online. You log on to SW, put in your reservation, "check in" and print out your boarding pass. That's how some people check in at their resort with SW. They ask the front desk or concierge to check in for them. You still have to take your bags with you. If you're using Magical Express, put your yellow tags on the bags and your bags will arrive at your resort. On the way back, just bring your bags with you and the driver will put them under the bus for you.

Since you haven't flown in so long, airport security has changed a LOT. Be sure you arrive 90 min or so before your flight leaves. Be sure you have the luggage locks that are complaint with new federal laws (where the security agents can unlock them with the master key). Be sure you have your drivers' license with you as you can't board without a photo id.

I hope this helps! Here's a couple of links that might really help you out. Click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/transportation/magicalexpress/default.asp) to get the details about Magical Express. Click here (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/grandfloridian/default.asp) for lots of info on the GF. Have a magical trip! :mickey:

faline
03-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I would suggest you call your travel agent and ask these specific questions. Your travel agent is supposed to assist you with things like this. I've flown Southwest but not on a charter flight.

As Chris noted, security regulations have changed a lot since you last flew. I'd suggest bringing a small bag you can check to put all the liquid items you need as there are specific limitations to liquids you can carry on board. For more information, go to Southwest's site and look up the security regulations so you understand them. There are additional regulations on the sizes and weight limitations on your luggage. You do need photo ID to get through the security checkpoints. Be prepared to have to take off your shoes so wear shoes that are easy to take on and off.

Unless you use the new TSA approved luggage locks, your baggage will need to be unlocked or the locks will be cut off them by security personnel.

If the charter flight works the same way as other Southwest flights, you can get your boarding passes online exactly 24 hours before your flight is scheduled to take off. There is an explanation on how to do this on Southwest's site. On the way home, you can request assistance at your resort to print your boarding passes or go to the Guest Relations area of whichever park you are visiting that day. Be sure to have yuor time of departure and flight number with you!

BellewanaB
03-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Most travel agancies send printed copies of your boarding passes-I would not only double check on this but also go onto the airline website
http://www.southwest.com/
and see way to the right where they have "check in online" as the second tab down. You can always check in yourself the night before or at the self check in kiosks at the terminal with regular reservations.
You can also try calling 1-800-435-9792 or 214-792-4223 to ask about your flight being chartered.

For specifics with carry on items, go to
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/travel_alert.html

Basically, don't bring any liquids or gels in your carry ons. Pack everything in your checked luggage (and put everything in freezer zip lock bags JUST in case- toothpaste looks better on your toothbrush than on your shorts!)
You can by locks that are TSA approved at Home Depot-they'll say it on the package.

If you NEED things in your carryon, you are allowed up to Three (3) 3 oz liquid or gell items all placed in a 1 liter zip lock bag. This zip lock bag must be removed at security and placed seperately in one the bins provided. If you forget to take the zip lock bag out, TSA sometimes gets grumpy.

Most medications/necessities in travel sizes fit this bill and is usually no problem.

Keep in mind, you can purchase water/drinks after security so don't bring any to the check point with you.

Wear socks, you will have to take your shoes off.

Try to remember if you're wearing a belt buckle, watch, have change or a cell phone in your pocket, have metal clips in your hair or even an underwire bra. Just a bra won't set off a detector but if you have a belt, a clip and a bra you might. And it's VERY embarassing when they pull you aside to search you and the hand held detector goes "blip blip" over your boosom. (Keep in mind, it will ALWAYS be a same sex search and you have the right to request a private search) Don't take it personally, you may go through no problem and just be one of the randomly selected to be searched, as well. That's why they always say to arrive early.

As long as you remember to take all electronics out, take off your shoes, pull out your bag of liquids or gells and don't set off the metal detector, you're usually fine.

SW has really fun flight attendents so make sure to let them know it's your first time in 20 years. Not as fun as JetBlue cew members, of course.
(I'm a JetBlue flight attendent)

Enjoy your trip! Let us know if there's anything else you need!