PDA

View Full Version : Should we rent a Car?

GoofyFan3
03-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Just wondering if we should rent a car? What are the cost for renting a car. I know we will have to get a taxi at least two times. Cost should be about $56 I think. What is the cost to rent a car for a couple of days or the week? And where can I get information. I am staying at the CSR.

Darbylew
03-24-2007, 11:15 AM
We never rent a car. We live here in Florida and drive to WDW. But we park our car at the
resort and never use it the entire time we are
there. The WDW buses take you to all the parks
and DTD so if you stay within the parks I see no
need for a car. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK
MAY 29!! :D

merlinmagic4
03-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Renting a car varies widely in price. I was looking at over 600.00 for a week in a mini van but then I was given a discount code that brought the price to 250! Big difference!!

I always look at priceline online to find rates. You type in all of your information and get rates for different cars. Check the FINAL rate, though. The price you often see first for a week doesn't include all kinds of taxes and things!

It really also depends when you are traveling. We travel prime time so tend to pay more for things that are a LOT cheaper in the off season.

disneyfan1124
03-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Renting a car is a matter of personal preference. It depends on what you want to do while there, if you have children, and how flixible you can be.

We have made multiple trips for more years than I can count and we have never rented a car. We don't have children, but even if we did, the buses are fun, easy, and free for those staying on property!

You can easily get a folding stroller on the bus and the child will be either held by another adult in your party, or sit in seat, depending on age. You will be required to fold the stroller and remove child from stroller for the bus ride.

Buses run about every 20 minutes from any location. You can change buses at Downtown Disney to get to other resorts. Leaving the parks at night the buses will be packed with standing room only, but if you don't rush out of the park and don't mind waiting a few extra minutes, you can get a bus with seating available. You will never be stranded in a park after closing, CM's will always be sure you get back to your resort.

You won't ever have to fight the line of cars trying to leave the park at night, no searching for your car, and if you wish to have a few adult beverages, you have your safe ride home.

I find car rental to be an added and unneccessary expense. If you are going to visit attractions off property, a cab ride is an easy option and won't cost much, although I have not used cab service. Check with your front desk at your resort and they can give you ball park prices.

I hope this is helpful information.

faline
03-24-2007, 05:00 PM
If you have off-site committments, you'll need to run the numbers to see what might be most economical for you. On one trip, we found it more economical to rent a car for the duration of the trip than for the few specific days we needed it.

If you want to rent for only a day or two, both Alamo and National are located on Disney World property - at the Car Care Center and the Dolphin.

bkfree
03-25-2007, 12:17 AM
We just returned from our first non car trip and it was great. We flew and stayed on site and we had no problem not having a car.My DH loved not having to drive at all this trip. The buses at the resort were efficient and never crowded and we never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for one. We used a taxi one time, the night we had the birthday dinner at the Grand Floridian for our two kiddos and they were dressed up in costume. From the Yacht Club to the GF was about $12 one way, so with tip it cost us about $30 total round trip. Worth it and much cheaper than a car rental for the week and we didn't need one anyway.Our next trip will again be a "carless" one.

E-OR
03-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Our family always rents a car. Our September trip we will be getting a mid size car from National for $307.00 for 9 days. It started out at 474.00 but I keep calling and it has gone down. We really like the flexibility of a car. We eat off properties a few times, go to wallmart for things we need, and the grocery store. We park hop a lot and always go back to the resort during the day. We don't want to waste time waiting for busses. My SIL never rents a car and seems to do fine. She does not want to spend the money on a car but we just budget it in to our vacation.

E-OR
03-25-2007, 12:54 PM
I called National again this moring and the rate on our car has gone down to $245.00 for the 9 days.

SAnderson70769
03-25-2007, 04:02 PM
We always rent a car. I love having that freedom to go off property if you need to and I think it beats the wait times for the buses. When we leave the parks, even waiting a little for the parking tram is better than the mass exodus for monorails or buses - then you're back at your resort in no time - also makes park hopping very easy. There are websites with discount codes as well - I'm renting a mini-van for a full week in May for $108 with tax and everything from dollar rental cars!

vamaggie
03-25-2007, 05:09 PM
We have little kids and always rent a car. We (ok DH;) ) like to have the flexability to come and go and also to go off prop if we want. We have not had too much trouble getting out of parking lots and find it really easy to park hop with a car. We are going in Nov and I got a full size for $177 for the week. There are lots of discounts available so search around (Costco, Entertainment book, AAA, some credit cards) and see if you can get a price that works for your numbers. If we did not have kids, not sure we would rent a car but with kids we find it essential.

Speedy1998
03-25-2007, 05:33 PM
If you want to rent for only a day or two, both Alamo and National are located on Disney World property - at the Car Care Center and the Dolphin.

faline, you beat me too it. I rented a car for a week once, and it ended up sitting in the ASmovies parking lot all week. Last summer we flew into Tampa instead of Orlando (it was $1,000 cheaper) We did 2 one day one way rentals to get us from Tampa to WDW and from WDW to Tampa. If you call Alamo they will send a shuttle to pick you up. I noticed allot of people were doing one day rentals to drive over to the beach.

Just in case you are wondering, it is about 70 miles from the Tampa airport to WDW, and takes just over an hour to drive.

bkfree
03-25-2007, 07:01 PM
We have never waited for more than 5-10(mostly 5) minutes at any park, anytime of day for a bus, which is a lot faster than hoofing out through the parking lot to a car. Done both so I can compare.
Never once did we say"geez, I wish we had a car."
But I also think because we stay at Epcot resorts , with so much within wasy walking distance that a car was not necessary.I might have felt different if we stayed at another deluxe or moderate location.

caryrae
03-25-2007, 08:22 PM
I would say if you are just doing Disney stuff then you wouldn't need a car but if you want to do things outside off disney like Universal, going to the ocean, kennedy space center, Sea World ect or you may like to go to some of the malls around then you would want a car. Just depends on what your plans are during you stay.

We always rent a car and have never seen lines of cars after the park is closed at any park.

One thing about the Disney buses you need to consider some of them make multipule stops. With a car you go straight to the parks and straight back to the resort or where ever you may need to go when you leave the parks. Plus you get free parking at the parks since you will be at a Disney Resort.

I looked it up on Orbitz and for an ecomony car from Sat 4/14 to 4/21 is only $152 total but I didn't know your dates and how big a car you would need.

Spaceship Tigger
03-26-2007, 07:18 AM
We always drive to WDW and love having the car. WDW transportation is not great for going between resorts or Downtown Disney. That being said, I don't think I would spend the extra money on a rental car when it's not really necessary.