PDA

View Full Version : pediatric urgicenter

rocket_sparks
03-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Can you help me with where to put this?

We are arriving in WDW Monday 3/26 and will there for 6 days. I have a 9 yr old with head congestion and if it turns into an ear infection and he needs an antibiotic, does Fla have what we in Ohio call Pediatric Urgicenters? They are like ERs are for grownups, but they're for kids with non-injury related medical issues. Not for broken legs, but for earaches, strep, that kind of thing.

Has anyone else had to do such a thing? We will have a rental car.

Thanks!

dpamac
03-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm going to move you over to vacation planning.

That being said, there are many urgent care options in the Orlando area. If a situation does come up the best thing to do is go to the front desk at your hospital and they will either give you a list of the recommended centers nearby or they will even contact one for you.

I have had to visit one once, though not for pediatric reasons, and it was easy as could be. Disney called them, the urgent care center actually picked us up, wounds were healed and we were back in the park before lunch.

King Triton
03-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't believe there are any urgent care centers onsite, nor am I aware of any that specialize in pediatrics.

However, there are a couple of CentraCare (?) centers close by. One is on US 192 a mile or two west of I-4. I forget the name of the shopping center, but it would be on the left as you go west/north on 192 at Formosa Gardens Blvd. There is also a Winn-Dixie in this shopping center. We've had the opportunity to use them for ear infections, etc. I'd urge you to get there when they open. (There's also a Walgreens on the other side of US 192 in case you need a scrip)

I think there is another CentraCare just outside the Hotel Plaza Blvd. WDW entrance on Apopka-Vineland Rd. (FL 535). If its still there, it was pretty much opposite Crossroads Plaza.

I imagine there are other CentraCare locations...

Jenemmy
03-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Years ago, my son needed stiches right before we left for WDW and, subsequently, would need them removed while we were there in Orlando. When I checked in, I simply told them the situation at the front desk and they provided me with the local urgent care type place --- I am so sorry, but it has been long enough that i can't recall the name. I do remember that the clinic actually came and picked us up at the hotel and brought us back.

Everyone was really wonderful about it. The funny part is, the clinic was so excited to see a "real" human and joked about how the only patients they usually got were really big furry critters like Chip and Dale. No joke -- they said most of their clientele were charcters who had been injured on the job.

Anyway -- I am sure guest relations at your resort would be able to assist

disneycouple2004
03-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Our experience took us to the Medical Center in Celebration. They are only 15 min from Disney World and have everything you need 24-7 medical wise..even got to ride in the Goofy and Mickey Ambulance. (wife broke her foot).
there were other park guests there with sick kiddos so i know you can get treatment there .
and its a not so serious hospital type atmosphere..if you know what i mean :D

vamaggie
03-23-2007, 01:45 PM
I would check in with your regular pediatrician today or this weekend before you leave. They may be able to even see your 9 yr old before you go and give you some relief for his head congestion (or at least give you some advice over the phone). They may also give a prescription to fill if it turns into an ear infection later. Either way you will know more about what you are dealing with. Good Luck and have a great trip (I AM SO JEALOUS--we have to wait til NOV!!!!)

tinksmom02
03-24-2007, 11:54 PM
we had to visit the CentraCare facility in Jan with DD4...she woke up coughing on our 3rd day. I can't remember exactly where it was, but it was only 5 min. away from DTD (we dropped my parents off to shop).

It wasn't a pediatric center, but they did cater to children. They had a tv in the waiting room (and the exam room, now that I remember), and the exam room we were in was themed for kids.

Everyone was very nice and we had a pleasant experience (well, pleasant enough considering the circumstances anyway LOL)

I would agree with other posters to have your child checked out before you leave. Although, we did that twice (five days before we left, with our pediatrcian, and the DAY before we left with an allergist), and she STILL got sick LOL It was just a nasty case of bronchitis, thank goodness. Your doc MAY proacively prescribe something for you, just in case, but if he/she won't, the CentraCare center is a good alternative.

(They do offer transportation, but we'd rented.)

KatGat
03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
We were faced with the same thing last year. We ended up taking our child to the pediatrician right before we left to see if the ears had fluid or infection (they only had a little fluid at that point). She suggested we give him Benedryl 30 minutes before the flight & said the fluid may cause some discomfort during the flight so Tylenol was ok if needed. Also, she gave us a prescription for antibiotics just in case he worsened and appeared to have a full blown infection. We ended up not needing to use the prescription, but it made us feel better knowing that we knew what to look for and that we had a plan. Of course, our dr. encouraged us to call her during our vacation if we had more questions during our stay. We did visit the first aid station in MK or MGM one day (for something unrelated) and were given information on a nearby clinic & pharmacy. You just never know with kids....good luck and good health!

hawkshoe
03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
We had a similar situation years ago. I knew my son was getting an ear infection just before our Disney trip. I took him to the pediatrician who said he was fine and would not give an antibiotic, even though I knew that in a few days he would be worse. Sure enough, a day into our trip, he ended up quite ill. We were staying on site without a car. Disney called a local urgicare center who sent a van over to pick us up. He was treated for the ear infection and was fine for the remainder of the trip. While it wasn't a "pediatric" urgi care, they were definately set up for what you might need.

ldn324
03-28-2007, 10:33 AM
As a side note - DH and I both ended up at Florida Hospital's ER (in Celebration) in December. We had called the walk in clinic and the mobile doctor (that comes to your room) and neither would accept our insurance because our cards didn't specifically state that our coverage was valid in Florida. They would see us, but we would have had to pay out of pocket, then submit to our insurance company for reimbursement. Office visits at the walk in clinic started at $65.

Just a little FYI in case that might be an issue for you. The ER accepted our insurance with the applicable ER co-pay, no questions asked. Very nice staff at that hospital's ER also. If you have to be sick, it's a nice place to be sick in I guess ;)