PDA

View Full Version : Part 2 - My opinions of my trip - Spring Break and Cirque De Soleil (sp?)

Sunshine1010
03-22-2007, 03:41 PM
March 13-20.

SPRING BREAK - Let me tell you - I will NEVER go to WDW again during Spring Break. I usually go a different time of the year, but I had the opportunity to go during Spring Break so I went for it. Oh my gosh ------- NEVER EVER again. Fast Passes were running out by 11am, lines were 2 hours long for Space Mountain, Maelstrom had a 60 minute wait.....need I go on? I don't think so. The amount of people was unbelievable. ESPECIALLY at Magic Kingdom. We decided to skip the parks half of our trip and relax. And we're GLAD we skipped them. We did mini-golf, surrey-bikes, slept late, Cirque du Soleil, DTD...all that stuff instead. We were very thankful that there are so many other things to do....

One thing - we did figure out that if you get up at 7am (and yes, it's dark then) and get ready and get to the parks early - you can ride ALL the rides you want. BUT, you HAVE to be willing to get up at DARK....and let me repeat that ------ D-A-R-K. THAT is NOT a vacation to me. We only went to MK and Epcot since it was so crowded...and only went a few days to each. Epcot was a lot nicer and not so crowded....not sure why. Oh yeah - don't DARE eat lunch at noon at a CS -- WHEW - good luck in finding a table. We learned to eat at 11am sharp. Lots of tables then. he he

One thing we did was forgo the rides that were crowded and rode them when it wasn't crowded. We didn't feel the need to ride them 'right then and there' which helped a lot. We only waited in line a few times...no big deal.

Oh yeah - a hint - if you have a fast pass and it says to go to a ride at 3:30....either be prepared to get on right at 3:30 or wait a little bit. We watched a fast pass time open for Space Mountain and 300 hundred people went in....yes, I said over 300...and that is NOT an exaggeration. It was like a mob. I sat back...waited another 30 minutes (got a snack, etc),...and basically walked on.

Cirque de Soleil - This show was very nice. I paid extra to get front section/middle. DO NOT DO THIS. You can see everything from ANYWHERE. I probably saw facial expressions better than most --- but that wasn't enough to pay $119.00 per seat. Will we go again?.....no, once is enough...but it was a cool show.....not worth the money that I paid though. You can wear anything...don't feel the need to dress up. There were people there in formal attire and shorts and t-shirts. They sell snacks and popcorn there. They say to arrive 30 minutes before the show, but we got there 5 minutes until the show started and was glad. I wouldn't have wanted to wait in the line that I'm sure was there. If you are late - you ARE allowed to enter unlike some theatres that close the doors. There are bathrooms upstairs and downstairs, althought he downstairs ones are outside. They will be selling the CD's, DVD's, etc when you exit. I think I heard 27.00 or 37.00 for the DVD.

sleepingbooty
03-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Yes, after reading several trip reports from people who've gone in the past few weeks, I can honestly say we will never go during spring break. I am not one for crowds. You probably did the right thing by skipping the parks quite a bit and doing other things, but I'm sure having to do that would be a big disappointment to a first timer.

Maleficent's Dad
03-22-2007, 07:07 PM
I've got to agree with you assessment of crowds. The most crowded we ever saw WDW was the week before Easter. Wow, there were loads of people - and as a family, we ONLY travel when school is out (Christmas, President's Week, etc). I've never seen crowds like those at Spring Break. :eek:

Thanks for the tips about Cirque! :mickey:

angedeaile
03-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Wow..good to know about spring break. I figured if plans change for us and we can't make it in December, we would go in the spring some time...mental note...avoid March-April.

Also, thanks for that seating tip for La Nouba. I was thinking about going to see that and was hesitant since it was so much for a decent seat. Now I don't think I would mind sitting in the back. :) Better than not going eh?

HndrdPrcnt
03-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Another thorough report....key item learned: don't go during Spring Break!!:mickey:

Christine
03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Carolee, I am right there with ya! I went the same exact dates as you and was horrified by the crowds. We too just decided to resign to the fact that we would do what we could, and not do what we couldn't. Nothing was worth fighting the masses!

Sounds like you had a good time, despite the crowds. We too slept in and also did the mini golf...that was fun, wasn't it!

Sunshine1010
03-23-2007, 01:20 AM
Mini golf WAS fun...especially for my little boy. But, ...it just seemed to take FOREVER to get to-and-from the mini-golf place....well, for that matter - anywhere. I would always have to plan a ONE HOUR transport time upon my plans.

Don't get me wrong - the free transportation is great......but it just takes so long to get everywhere.

I was just so shocked at the crowds. People say that Spring Break isn't anything like Christmas week....that Christmas week is worse....how can that be?????

Heck....there was even a HUGE line to get into Minnie's house. A LINE!!!!!...and I mean it went down the road. !!!

I've learned my lesson......

Katzateer
03-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Sorry your trip was disappointing-I hate crowds. But the getting up early and eating lunch around 11am sounds like what we do every trip-you can beat the crowds no matter what time of year it is.

As far as getting in once the show starts at Cirque-they will let you in, but only BETWEEN the acts. Once a section has started, you have to wait until that part of the show is over and then they will seat you quickly. At the beginning of the show they have a pre-show and seat people during that-I wouldn't want to be the group coming in-sometimes you become part of the show:blush: .

Sunshine1010
03-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Katzakeer - They let lots of people in during the actual show. Perhaps it was just a different set of employees. You know how each set of employees seem to have their own rules. he he

The trip wasn't disappointing.....I mean I had a GREAT time....it was just too crowded for my taste. Some people are perfectly okay with it and, some people don't have a choice but to deal with the crowds. It just wasn't for me.

Yes, our plan of getting up at 'crack-thirty' and eating lunch at EXACTLY 11am made us 1 step ahead of most people (at least it seemed like that).

We're going back during the beginning of December and I'm TRULY looking forward to that vacation.

faline
03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
It must have been really crowded! Just recently saw Cirque for the first time and greatly enjoyed it!

Tinkerfreak
03-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow, just think how much smaller the crowds will seem in December.

goofysbabe
03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
The first time I went to WDW was on Spring Break - I was sooooo excited to go and then when we got there and saw the crowds and wait times I was heartbroken - I even cried!!! We were not able to do a whole lot - and because of that my teenager hate Disney. I too vowed NEVER I repeat NEVER would I go on Spring Break again. I tell all my friends who ask me when to go NOT to go on Spring Break.

ChipnDaleGal
03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Those big crowds are not fun, but I am glad that you still managed to have a great time. Sounds like you adapted pretty well to the situation. Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

ElenitaB
03-24-2007, 05:39 PM
We also tend to get up early at WDW, even if it's only a bit later than the rest of the year, to make sure that we gets to the parks when they open. It really does make a difference with the crowds. For that "vacation feel," we make it a point to take an afternoon break that can include a swim and a nap.

The crowds at Thanksgiving Week were also bigger than we had ever seen at that time of year... the crowds when you went were large. I'm wondering if WDW's marketing is working very well for them.

Bethis26fan
03-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Sounds like I don't ever want to go during spring break. Glad you had fun even w/ the crowds.

pdrlkr
03-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey: