PDA

View Full Version : Give me your thoughts

dolphinmickey9170
03-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Hello friends. I am looking for anyone's thoughts, tips, ideas, pros/cons on taking a baby under 1 for a 13 day trip. Give me your stories and anything you can think of that will help a new Grandma (I'm only 37). Thanks. I look forward to everyone's input.
44 more days, 6 hours, 7 minutes 18 seconds.

Maleficent's Dad
03-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I find it all positive. Adults need to get away and WDW is probably the friendliest place on earth when it comes to travelling with young children. :babyroll:

DD's first trip was when she was 4 months old. It wasn't difficult at all.

Few things to keep in mind:

Use the Baby Centers in each park
Bring your own stroller (the rentals are not good for babies - not to mention better sleep for babies in their strollers!)
Do not expect to do even 1/4 of what you'd do without the baby
We spent much more time at the resort(s) with young kids - relaxing AND easier to deal with the baby
You'll have a new appreciation of other guests when you have a stroller - you'll be trying to avoid the ankles of those who cut you off while keeping your own precious child comfortable

Good luck! :mickey:

rsumrall
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
The key is realistic expectations. You won't do much with a small child, especially if you are travelling at a peak time. Get to the parks early to avoid lines. Go home for naps in early afternoon to avoid the heat. Relax and enjoy what you can do. i think you'll find that going for 13 days will help you do more because you won't feel so pressed.

honeybear
03-22-2007, 11:24 AM
We took my youngest niece when she was 4 months old. It was not bad at all. She was a very good baby! Like the first poster said, be sure to use the baby centers. They are very nice and comfortable! They have a nice place for mommys to nurse if needed and the have items for sale in case you forget something like wipes, formula, pampers and the like. I don't recall how much it costs, but I am sure it was high!

bdm@pga
03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
I think what everyone is saying is true...we have taken our daughter every year since she was born and have had little problems. Use the baby centers, but also remember to plan your day and think of the baby...use nap times to your advantage at certian rides with the child exchange program....then everyone gets to ride while the baby is sleeping...sometimes you can use fast pass and the child exchange to work around feedings and naps...I know some people will think I am crazy, but we didn't alter one thing about our trip with a 6 month old...we just took it a little slower and thought ahead. The train is a great place for a nap....not just for the little one....If you have a comfortable stroller, the child will sleep when they want to..just continue your day. Thats what we did and everyone had a great time.

BritCody
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I took both of my children to Disney when they were under 1 and last year we went on a multi family trip with my cousin and his family. My cousin had her 3 week old son there. Like everyone else has said just take your time and do not have high expectations. First you are going in May so weather wise it won't be as bad as say July. Second you are going for 13 days, so I would assume you are not going to the parks everyday so that way you will be fresh on the days you do go to the park. When you do go to the parks you will need to take more breaks than you normally do. We always tried to take our kids to the Hall of Presidents to get them to take a nap. It is nice and cool in there and comfortable seating. I do suggest sitting in the back and at the end of the row in case your baby wakes up and starts to scream their head off.
One big advantage nobody has mentioned is the interaction with the characters will be awesome. The characters always seem to bend over backwards for a baby. I have photos of both of my children as babies being held by Cinderella and I can't remember a character that didn't make a fuss over them as babies or spend more time with them then most of the other kids. Last Year I was holding my cousin's 3 week old in line at Al's Toy Barn for the character greeting. We were first in line for Woody and a Green Army Guy. There was another line for Buzz Lightyear. After they all came back for a 5 minute break. We were next for Woody and the Green Army Guy, but Buzz came over too and I didn't think the 3 of them would ever let us leave.
Enjoy and take tons of pictures, but above all be prepared to take it slowly!!

mouseaddict
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
We tok our 8 week old with us in December and it went amazingly well. I think everyone here has given you fantastic advice. The only thing I would recommend is that if possible you drive to the parks. the one thing that we found a nuisance was getting the stroller on and off of the bus. Luckily we were staying at a monorail resort so we did not have to worry too much about buses. We wound up taking the car to the parks that did not have monorail service and it worked out perfectly.
You will have a wonderful time watching the litte ones interact with the characters..make sure you have tons of film!

kakn7294
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Congrats on the new baby Grandma! It's really quite easy to take a young baby to WDW. Just take a more relaxed pace and you'll have a great time! We went with DD at 13 mo, niece at 6 mo, and nephew at 5 mo. Some folks recommend a mid-day break but we never took one. The babies napped in their strollers or in attractions when they were tired. Take your own stroller (smaller is better for the buses, but you also have to think of the baby's needs and storage for all that baby stuff). Baby slings are great too but can get hot both for the adult and the baby. If you want pictures with the characters, be aware that some characters, especially those with costumed hands, cannot hold the baby although some have sat on the floor/ground with the baby in their lap in our experience. Have a great trip!

Here we go again...
03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I have never been with a child that small so I can not speak from experience. However, I would like to add something based on observation.

Please, please remember sunscreen. It makes me want to cry when I see a sunburned infant.
Make sure to pack your patience. Many people seem to forget that babies get tired and get frustrated with them. Be patient and go on the baby's schedule. If it is time for a nap, take advantage of it and take a nap yourself.

Like the others have said, do not expect to go like you usually do. Go slow and relax.

dolphinmickey9170
03-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the great thoughts and ideas. I have a huge bottle of baby sunscreen because being an Irish family with red hair and fair skin, we all burn easy. About strollers, I have always been annoyed by those who smash into your ankles, so I will truly be mindful of that. As for the ride swap, Grampa doesn't tolerate thrill rides, so he gets to play with DGD while we ride. I can see it now, we'll come off the ride and she and Grampa will be covered in chocolate ice cream......yummy!! I can't wait for the characters....I would have thought they would be less mindfull of the babies....That's awesome. I love the characters just as much as the kids, so we should have a great time. I guess I better buy another gig card for my camera. Again, thank you all so much. I knew I could count on my intercot friends to help us out.

CarolinaWDWFan
03-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Hello friends. I am looking for anyone's thoughts, tips, ideas, pros/cons on taking a baby under 1 for a 13 day trip. Give me your stories and anything you can think of that will help a new Grandma (I'm only 37). Thanks. I look forward to everyone's input.
44 more days, 6 hours, 7 minutes 18 seconds.

:thumbsup: Okay...it can definitely be done. We did it and had a great trip. Here are some tips:

1. Try to set a routine. If the baby naps in the a.m. and p.m., try to plan accordingly. Our son like to nap in the stroller we brought because it folded all the way down, so we were able to spend more time in the parks and do some baby swapping.
2. Take it at a slower pace. We slowed down from our usually frantic pace and it wound up making it a wonderful trip. We enjoyed the sites and people watching more and our feet were not as tired.
3. Come prepared. If you have your own transportation, then make the grocery store your first stop. Buying supplies on property can be expensive and you may not find exactly what you need.
4. Visit the parks when the crowds thin out. Try to hit the rides during parades when the lines are not as long. That will keep you from carrying a baby through a long wait time. Also, go in the mid afternoon when people are staring to return to their resorts.
5. Go against the grain. You will pick up great tips on Intercot on things such as which days are typically heavy for a specific park. Follow those tips...less stressful.
6. Take lots of pictures of the baby. My son is 7 now and he loves to watch the video we took during his first trip. It is a great memory for us and a treat for him.

Have a wonderful trip!:thumbsup:

Kristi Kay
04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
You can do it, just be realistic. You'll probably spend more time at the resort just chillin and you'll want the baby out of the park in mid-day heat.

irish1967
04-02-2007, 08:24 PM
I took my DS (now 7) was a baby and here are a couple of things we learned.

First, he would not sleep in the stroller - so we ended up going back to the room for naps. If you call Housekeeping in the morning, you can request that your room be made up early in the day.

Let the baby set the schedule - everyone will be happier!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-02-2007, 09:01 PM
I have never been with a child that small so I can not speak from experience. However, I would like to add something based on observation.

Please, please remember sunscreen. It makes me want to cry when I see a sunburned infant.
Make sure to pack your patience. Many people seem to forget that babies get tired and get frustrated with them. Be patient and go on the baby's schedule. If it is time for a nap, take advantage of it and take a nap yourself.

Like the others have said, do not expect to go like you usually do. Go slow and relax.

Good advice on the sunscreen! And please remember to coat it on the baby's feet, especially when stretched out sleeping. I always worry about those little tootsies sticking out.
Get one of the stroller fans (online about $12) to keep your little one cool. They actually sell some in Disneyworld now, but I think they're more. Have fun!!!:wave:

diz_girl
04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Thank you for the advice. I'll be a first-time 37 year-old mother soon and I plan to take my son to WDW next May, when he's 10 months old. I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

magicman
04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
These are good tips. I am 40 & have kids ages: 11, 10, & 7 who love WDW as much as me. We recently found out that we're having a fourth:faint: (I guess that Pixie dust gets everywhere:tink: ). We are trying to figure out what this will do to future trips & how we'll do it. These tips help make me think that it's doable.

Mickey'sGirl
04-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Good advice on the sunscreen!
You should never put sunscreen on a child under 1. They are too small, and the chemicals will be absorbed into their little bodies and potentially cause greater problems. Invest in lightweight sunscreen clothing, a great adjustable umbrella and plenty of hats. Your baby will be well protected that way!:thumbsup:

KAT1811
04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
You should never put sunscreen on a child under 1. They are too small, and the chemicals will be absorbed into their little bodies and potentially cause greater problems. Invest in lightweight sunscreen clothing, a great adjustable umbrella and plenty of hats. Your baby will be well protected that way!:thumbsup:

I was told under 6 months old not without the permission of a Dr. I took middle DD when she was 3 1/2 months old and was very concerned about the sun. My Dr. said that she shouldn't be in the sun for prolonged periods of time at all (we were heading down to Sanibel Island after WDW and would be visiting the beach and he said that at the beach the baby most certainly should have sunscreen on. The harm of the sun far outweighs the occasional use of sunscreen in this instance.) I would recommend getting the advice of your DGD's Dr. on the sunscreen factor before you go. In WDW we just took extra precautions to protect her from the sun. A hat certainly for a baby to protect their head.

We also brought the stroller fans there are great websites online that sell them and are very affordable. What an invention!!! She napped wonderfully in the stroller because she was nice and cool.

Make sure they drink a lot in WDW. The heat can dehydrate little ones quickly.

We have taken all three of our DDs at varying ages. The smallest at 3 1/2 months and we did fine. We never had to go back for naps because our children slept fine in the stroller. We are an on the go family at home as well. Just go with the flow and do what feels right. I'm sure you'll be just fine.

melissakaye44
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi, I'm new to this board - this is my first post. I found this thread because I was searching for information about taking my baby to Disney World. We're going next week with our 8-month-old daughter and 6-year-old son. I was wondering if any of you can tell me if there are rides where the baby can ride on my lap? I'm thinking about things like "It's a Small World", not "Space Mountain"! ;)
I hope it's okay to jump into this thread with a question like this - if not, please point me in the right direction.
Thanks!
Melissa :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
04-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I was wondering if any of you can tell me if there are rides where the baby can ride on my lap? I'm thinking about things like "It's a Small World", not "Space Mountain"! ;)
First off: Welcome to Intercot! :clappy: :clappy: :clappy:

There are numerous rides where a baby can ride on your lap. In fact, most rides in WDW are child friendly, and a smaller percentage require a certain height. For exact restrictions, read here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp).

Good luck! :mickey:

KAT1811
04-03-2007, 09:55 PM
I was wondering if any of you can tell me if there are rides where the baby can ride on my lap? I'm thinking about things like "It's a Small World", not "Space Mountain"! ;)
:mickey:

:welcome: To Intercot!!!

I would agree that most of the rides in WDW are small child friendly. :mickey: Most unlike typical amusement parks. We took our middle DD when she was 3 1/2 months and she rode almost everything with us. I think the following rides aren't for small children but all the others should be fine. I trust if I miss anything some of my fellow Intercoters will help me out with any additions. :blush:

Magic Kingdom:
Splash Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Tomorrowland Speedway

Epcot:
Test Track
Soarin'
Mission: Space

Animal Kingdom:
Kali River Rapids
Dinosaur!
That spinning coaster thing in Dinorama (the real name escapes me)
Expedition Everest

MGM Studios:
Tower of Terror
Rockin' Roller Coaster
Star Tours

Disney has a great "baby swap" feature aimed for families with small children. This feature allows you to wait in line and "swap" the baby so each of you can ride the "big kid" rides without waiting in the long lines twice. Just tell the CM at the ride entrance that you would like to partake in the baby swap and they'll help you from there with the specifics.

melissakaye44
04-05-2007, 06:21 AM
Thank you both for the great info! That was just what I was looking for. We leave for Florida tomorrow, and I'm so excited! Thanks again for your help.
:mickey:
Melissa