PDA

View Full Version : Substitution at Coral Reef?

Mnchknbrat1982
03-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Okay I am looking at making an ADR for Coral Reef for dinner in September. However, I have some questions maybe someone on here has done this and can answer for me. I've looked at the menu's listed here on intercot. But here is where I run into a problem: The boyfriend is a meat & potatoes guy, but does eat white fish......however not sure if he'll eat their fish (he likes breaded fish). And I am not a seafood person (like breaded shrimp). So after looking at the menu I've figured if Alan doesn't get fish then we will both probably get a steak. Do they have anything for appetizers besides salad for the non seafood people? The bf and I don't like bbq so that eliminates the braised beef. And neither of us have had lobster or crab so don't know if its something we'd like............we don't like stuff that is fishy tasting. What is the Seafood and Crab Soufflé served with creamy Lobster Sauce or the lobster soup like? Can anyone explain what any of the crab and lobster appetizers are like? If I have to do a salad would they be willing to substitute the dressing? Okay now about the steaks, On the NY Strip I see it comes with au gratin potatoes and beef demi glaze.........would they substitute the potatoes for like fries or a baked potato for the bf and leave off the glaze? He doesn't like au gratin potatoes. Can someone explain what creme brulee is?

Seasonscraps
03-22-2007, 01:48 AM
I am not a seafood eater but I thoroughly enjoyed my meal at Coral Reef.

I had the braised bbq beef (maybe you could get it with the sauce on the side?). I can't help with the seafood appetizers. I am positive they will substitue the salad dressing.

NY Strip with fries - they allow substitutions. I am sure you could get it with out the glaze also or get it on the side to give it a try.

The Creme Brulee - it's hard to explain but it's like a sweet custard with carmelized sugar on top. It's very good!

Natazu
03-22-2007, 02:54 AM
:twocents:
Truth is, Coral Reef is really about fish. I mean Coral Reef will substitute to your hearts content but you really don't see the genius of Chef Shane's creations, even the steaks, if you leave everything off. If you both really just want a steak and potatoes, your best bet may be to have dinner somewhere else and go to Coral Reef for dessert. Then you can get the atmosphere and one of the best chocolate desserts in The World. This isn't a very good use of the dining plan but you like what you like.

Oh, crème brûlée is flavored custard with a caramelized top layer. My wife swears by it.

SurferStitch
03-22-2007, 06:36 AM
I'll ditto what Natazu said. If you're not a seafood/fish person, then Coral Reef probably isn't a very good choice.

I had the Seafood and Crab Soufflé served with creamy Lobster Sauce, and I didn't care for it, and I'm a big seafood fan. It was okay, but the consistency is what I didn't like....it was compressed fish and crab that was shaped in a mold, and just kind of reminded me of cat food. I hate saying that because I really loved the rest of my meal....I just should have gotten a different appetizer.

DH had the steak and said it was very good, so if you will eat steak, then give it a shot. I don't know what to tell you about the appetizers.....they offer a beef and a couple salad options for the non-seafood people already, so I don't know what else they might sub for you.

Desserts are wonderful, and so was our table right next to the tank.

MsMin
03-22-2007, 11:08 AM
I love the coral reef and I'm not a huge fan of the types of seafood they offer. So last time I got the NY Strip and loved it. Everyone was so pleased with their meal.
Sometimes substitutions can depend on the waiter and the kitchen. If fries are not part of the menu at all then there are none available but we have always had waiters that were very accomodating.
The lobster soup is great- it's a cream based soup, not fishy just flavorful.
We love the chocolate wave when there. It's one of their popular desert items. Even my dd who does not like chocolate loved it.
I'm not afraid to go there and order steak and enjoy myself, the atmosphere and the meal.