PDA

View Full Version : Need convincing

PrincessASquared
03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
My family and I recently spent a week at Disney World. We stayed at WL and had a fabulous time. While there we met with the DVC guy at SSR. We are very intrigued. We have one daughter (5yrs) and no plans for more. We would enjoy having a Disney vacation in our near future every year.
I guess my question is, is it worth it?
What are the pros and cons of joining?
We talked to many DVC members while we were there and all of them said "It was the best thing we've ever done" Why is it the best thing you've ever done? Our family would really like to do this but we are unsure if it is the right thing to do. Please help. Any advise would be appreciated.

dlpmikki
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

We have a couple of sticky threads at the top of this forum on why to join and why not to join. Lots of arguments for both sides. It probably comes down to an emotional decision not a financial one.

I'm sure you will get a lot more thoughts from other members!

In the meantime if you want more general info then look in info central for how DVC works. :thumbsup:

I'm just going to delete your first post as there was no content :)

disneycouple2004
03-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Welcome !!
I have a simple answer for you and it goes like this.....We take our trip to Disney every year, and have found many others do too. We have good friends that go every year but were not DVC members..they spent a average of 2,500.00 per trip (modest average)...so i showed them that 6 of their trips would pay for their DVC and would be good for 54 years ..thats alot more than 6 trips..Plus all the Disney magic and of course the wonderful service, and so much more..you will find out if you follow the thread on here..good luck with your decision and have a magical trip next time :D

Sharon1026
03-21-2007, 07:42 PM
In a nutshell, DVC is worth it if:
1. You go to Disney at least every 2 years.
2. You like to stay at the deluxe resorts.
3. You plan on going to Disney for many years to come.

It's not worth it if:
1. You are a value resort person.
2. You only go to Disney every 3+ years.
3. You can't afford the maintenace fees.

You need to look at how you vacation. You can use the points at other resorts around the world, but I don't think you get the same "bang for your buck" at other places as your do at disney. (i.e., you won't get a week in Rome for 150 points, like you would at one of the disney resorts).
If you think you fall into the first category, then dvc is a good deal. If you don't, then it isn't.
:stitch2:

vizsla
03-21-2007, 07:50 PM
:mickey: Welcome to Intercot :mickey:

As already mentioned in previous posts, you can take a look at the sticky threads at the top of the DVC forum, and you can also check out the DVC section under "Info Central" at the top of the tool bar.

PrincessASquared
03-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the input. I think it's working. Keep them coming.

sassafras
03-21-2007, 08:15 PM
It's the best thing we.'ve ever done! We were going to DW on an average of twice a year and staying at moderate price resorts. If you figure what we were spending for 8-10 days at a time, we could have had this thing paid for in our first 6 0r 7 trips. We bought into the BCV's sight unseen. Talked to DVC rep on the phone, she sent us info and spent lots of time calling and answering questions for us. Made the whole process a breeze!

One other plus for us was that by the time it's paid for, we will be close to retirement age and we figured we could swing the maintenace fee (which isn't really that bad) and have at least one great vacation a year. Also, we could deed it over to our sons if we decide we don't want it, or sell it. (doubtful this will happen) Plus there are other places besides DW you can trade out and go to. Add in the terrific service you get at the resorts, discounts members are offered, it makes it all really "magical" Hope this helps--it's just one view from an opinionated Hoosier DVC member!:cloud9:

Maleficent's Dad
03-21-2007, 09:23 PM
My family falls into the "It's the best thing we've ever done" categrory! :thumbsup:

DW and I purchased just before our first child. Our kids (2 - one son, one daughter) have made so very many trips - both of them before they were even a year old! The family time down there is so worth it to us. We've slowly gone from the 'hard core' park people, to the 'more mellow and enjoy the resort' types.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we find it a totally great thing - it allows for us as a family to have a "guaranteed" vacation (at least) every year.

What is addicting is adding more points!!! Wow is that fun to do and even more fun to think about. Once you make your initial purchase, you start to imagine what you could do if you had even more points... We've only added once, and not for my lack of trying to convice DW to add more!

Additionally, we enjoy Disney so much that as soon as we get home, we start to plan our next trip as a family. It's fun varying the resorts. It's fun to be able to vary when we go. It just gives us something to always look forward to! Each year, come March 1, we get a totally new allotment of points. And we do use them!

To give you an idea of how you can juggle your point usage:

We've done a week in a 2 BR at OKW as a family
We've done (numerous) long weekends at the BW in a studio as a family
DW recently had a girl's weekend with her sister
I had a golf (long) weekend with my brother

There are just so many options when you have the points...

WDW is a safe place. It's a destination that my family is comfortable at.

You have to decide what's best for you and your family. It is a commitment; but we've found it to be a well-worthwhile investment of our money! :mickey:

richardsa98
03-21-2007, 09:29 PM
We are in the same boat as you. We have one child, with no plans of having any more, but we already have made Disney a yearly part of our lives. After going back and forth about DVC for the last year, we finally decided to buy and are so happy we did. Sometimes one isn't sure how they are going to feel after they make a decision...I can honestly say we have no regrets and are looking forward to going "home" to our little piece of Disney for the first time in June! Go for it:number1:

MinnieMommie
03-22-2007, 06:44 AM
In the end only you can only put all the pros and cons others have shared from their personal experience and apply it to your own needs. If you stay at a delux and plan to go to Disney yearly for the next several years (enough to let the DVC pay for itself) it seems to make sense to go ahead and bite the bullet. You then have to consider the cost of yearly fees. For my family DVC works and I wish I had done it sooner. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one for you. :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-25-2007, 06:03 PM
We are in the "wish we had been able to do this years ago" category.
We had gone to WDW several times before our daughter was born in 1989 and have been there about 20 times since. But, we didn't buy into DVC until 2003 for a variety of reasons. We don't think we will stop going when she grows up and it is nice to know that we will be leaving the points to her to enjoy with her children after my wife and I are gone.
But, you need to look at your own circumstances and decide if the expenditure is right for YOU at this point in time.

HockeyKat
03-26-2007, 01:25 AM
We just bought 2 months ago. We are a childfree couple in our 30s, and DH has a WDW addiction that I seem to have caught, so we know that we will go every year. We decided to go resale as we were in no hurry, wanted a "sold out" resort (BWV), and wanted to save a few $$.

If you want to go to Disney every year in at least a moderate level (and since you did WL I imagine that is the case), and don't forsee that changing, then buying could be a good decision for you. Especially with a 5 yr old, as you can get a 1 bedroom and have the washer/dryer and full kitchen.

Some cons... no daily maid service or fresh towels, and the necessity to plan ahead, usually at least 4 months and as much as 11 months for popular times such as Easter or Christmas. It is also a better use of points to stay at DVC resorts rather than other WDW resorts.

caseyis8
03-26-2007, 11:00 AM
I have been trying to talk my husband into buying DVC for about two years now with no luck so far. :blush: Anyways, I talk to my rep at the Disney vacation club at least once a month and a few days ago when she called me she told me that I could buy into any of the DVC resorts, though the older resorts obviously will not be for as long of a time as AKL or SSR. I just thought I would inform all of you out there that want a certain home resort, you don't have to buy resale you can still buy directly from Disney.:mickey:

Belle_0717
03-26-2007, 12:59 PM
My parents purchased our home at SSR 3 years ago. :cloud9:

We have been going as a family of four since 1989, every year - sometimes more than once. My DS was married in 2002 and I married in 2005. We had a family meeting and agreed to split the monthly payments. My DS just had a baby boy in October and we are planning a trip from his first birthday.

(Do not worry if you are a value resort vacationer as we were. A small monthly payments and luxury accomodations make the DVC such a simple decision. DH and I stayed in POP in February to save on points and I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!)

My DH and I have been on 3 trips to our home and have 2 more planned for this year - May and October. We also invested in the AP, which has been the best thing since the DVC.

In planning vacations now, it is hard to NOT vacation at WDW. It is the cheapest way to go - airfare and food/spending money is all we need to worry about. We are flying AirTran and have been able to get the $69 each way fare. We also bring breakfast food and some snacks for dining out is at a minimum.

Your DD will be able to go to WDW whenever she wants and even take her children and maybe even grandchildren.

That is how my parents looked at it and now there dreams are coming true.

JMTStone
03-27-2007, 09:58 PM
One day...

I plan to be like my Aunt Nancy and Uncle Mick... They are a great couple of people who go every year and seem to have the magic with them all the time

Each Year...

I plan to go with my family and make the time count

Some day....

I'll renew my vows at WDW

And then later than that...

My children/grandchildren can go somewhere that will remind them of our family.

By the way... don't discount the OTHER locations. My husband and I looked EXTENSIVELY (Lots of Google) at other places in the DVC plan (Hawaii, etc.) and the places they offer are Great. If I can stay away from WDW one year, we're going to Hawaii on our points.

Marceline
04-14-2007, 04:11 AM
I just thought I would inform all of you out there that want a certain home resort, you don't have to buy resale you can still buy directly from Disney.:mickey:

Really?? How? How much per point? Do you have to buy in at 150 points like usual or can you do smaller allotments? We would love to buy a little piece of VWL since we were absolutely enchanted with WL. But I am thinking we would only need 100 points since we would always be able to travel in the low point value season and would really only require a studio for the three of us, and ideally would only stay for 6 nights once a year. Where I can I find out more about this offer? :mickey:

Tinkermom
04-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Really?? How? How much per point? Do you have to buy in at 150 points like usual or can you do smaller allotments? We would love to buy a little piece of VWL since we were absolutely enchanted with WL. But I am thinking we would only need 100 points since we would always be able to travel in the low point value season and would really only require a studio for the three of us, and ideally would only stay for 6 nights once a year. Where I can I find out more about this offer? :mickey:

Disney has a small inventory of the other resorts. These are the ones they buy back during the "right of first refusal". The problem is that they do not necessarily have the DVC resort that you want to buy at this time. You can call a DVC guide to see if they have any VWL for sale. If not you would be put on a waitlist. The price per point for a resale will generally be much higher through Disney than through a timeshare company. It will still be less than what the current DVC is selling for though.

As far as needing to buy 150 points if you go through Disney resale, that I am not sure about. :confused:

HockeyKat
04-15-2007, 06:13 PM
The minimum through Disney is now 160 pts, FWIW.

Resale you do NOT have to buy 160, you can buy whatever is available, from 25 pts up.

There are only a few reasons to go direct for a "sold out" resort rather than resale... Resale does take longer (6-8 weeks until you are in Disney's system), and you can't put the downpayment on a credit card. You also may fail ROFR and have to start over, but if you do your research you can find out about where you should offer.

Resale tends to be cheaper (84-86/pt for BWV vs 98/pt direct), and you can get a "loaded" contract like we did, that comes w/ extra points.