PDA

View Full Version : Stroller frustration..

Top_Scarer
03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Ok, I know that people are probably sick of stroller questions but....
We are going in December. I have a 30lb 2yr old boy and a 40lb 4 year old girl. (at least that is what they weigh NOW!) I am trying to decide on what to do about the stroller situation. Since my daughter is already 40lb (and very tall), I am stuck on what type to get. I was looking at the sit and stand, but then if we separate, someone doesn't get a stroller. So, I was looking at umbrella strollers..but what type?!? DD is way too tall for the regular type!
Arrrgghhhh! :confused: Does anyone have any recommendations?!?

Catzle
03-21-2007, 09:50 AM
I am going to have to say the jogging stroller. I think and I could be wrong, haven't purchased a stroller in 3 years that most regular strollers only go up to 40 lbs. I know the joggers, which are more bulky and harder to maneuver go up to 100 lbs. We are bringing only one jogging stroller this time around, we have a 5 1/2 year old, barely 40 lbs. and an 8 year old barely 50 pounds.

emmaes1
03-21-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a 3 yr old daughter that weighs 36 lbs and we just got an umbrella stroller from Baby's r us it is a chicco stroller and it is wonderful. The handles are longer than the average umbrella stroller therefore it does not break your back, by bending over to push it. It was
$89 but well worth it for us. Disney does have strollers on site for $40 and when we went last Sept. that worked very well.
I hope I helped you. :mickey:

Buttercup
03-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Also - keep in mind that once kids hit two years old, their growth rate slows WAAAAY down. My son is 2 and has hovered around 30-33 pounds for several months now.
So you might not have to worry about larger strollers as they likely won't have grown all that much in a few months.
Worst case scenario? Bring an umbrella stroller for your 2 year old, and rent a single stroller at WDW for your 4 year old. The ones at WDW hold bigger kids with no problem.

CarolinaWDWFan
03-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Also - keep in mind that once kids hit two years old, their growth rate slows WAAAAY down. My son is 2 and has hovered around 30-33 pounds for several months now.
So you might not have to worry about larger strollers as they likely won't have grown all that much in a few months.
Worst case scenario? Bring an umbrella stroller for your 2 year old, and rent a single stroller at WDW for your 4 year old. The ones at WDW hold bigger kids with no problem.

Ditto that: the rental strollers are large enough to accomodate a taller child. I would go with the previous post suggestion.

maryfaye727
03-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Do the strollers that you can rent have a shade thing at the top? I call it a canopy, not sure if that's the correct name for it!

Thanks!

Mickey'sGirl
03-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Yes they are shaded. My DS3 is too tall and too heavy for a regular stroller (which he doesn't want to sit in anyway...but that's another story!). I recommend giong with the park strollers when you need one for your daughter. You can purchase multi-day rentals on the first day and save yourself some money too. :thumbsup:

Spaceship Tigger
03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
We were considering this same issue as well for our 3 yo DS who is nearly 40 lbs now. We ulimately decided that the only good purchase for his size if he needed a stroller at WDW would be a jogging stroller. We didn't want to spend the money on one of those for one trip. Since we take daily breaks at our resort we decided that he could walk most of the time and if for some reason he really needed to sit we could just rent from one the parks.

TikiGoddess
03-23-2007, 06:28 PM
You could get an umbrella stroller for your youngest and a MacLaren for your oldest. The weight range on that one is up to 50-55lbs. I have a Triumph and it reclines and has a canopy. They run around $100 for last year's model, though. Worth it though -- and they are only 12 lbs and have a convenient shoulder strap which makes them very portable (getting on and off buses).

I have two kids the same age as you and I'm pondering what we'll do this summer... we have a double stroller (side-by-side) that we have used in the past. I'm just not sure DD4 will fit in it this summer! We will probably take our Mac for all of our non-park activities (airport, resort hopping, etc) and let the kids take turns riding, and then rent a double for the days in the parks (only 2 days).

TikiG

tink55
03-23-2007, 07:06 PM
You should rent a stroller. Speaking from 15 years of experience taking kids to WDW - dragging your own strollers all over WDW is an unnecessary pain in the rear.

bkfree
03-25-2007, 12:23 AM
You should rent a stroller. Speaking from 15 years of experience taking kids to WDW - dragging your own strollers all over WDW is an unnecessary pain in the rear.

Yes, What she said. Do not bring a stroller for your situation. Rent a double stroller at the parks. They are big, comfy, shaded and have places to stash your stuff. So much easier than bringing your own and my two loved having a different stroller and it was very roomy. The shade was also great for sun or rain. Just spread your rain poncho over it and keep on going. If you visit more than one park in the same day,just take your reciept and you get a stroller at the next one without paying. You only pay to rent a stroller once a day, no matter what parks you visit.
A double rental will do you just fine.
We took a wildly colored scarf and tied to ours to make it look different from the rest.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
03-25-2007, 09:48 AM
I agree with the rental stroller thing. However if you need one around the resort or airport you could bring a stroller for the little one and then rent when you get to the park.

We started out bringing our strollers. It worked okay for the first couple of trips, then the double umbrella stroller we brought broke at the entrance to MK.

We rented and DH grabbed that handle and was amazed. He said "this is like the cadillac of strollers!" THey are so much easier to push than umbrella strollers , or regular strollers for that matter. We rented from then on.

I will say that some complain of not having enough storage on the rentals. We just always put our bag on top of the canopy! I can't understand why those that complain of not enough storage just don't lay the bag on top of the stroller :confused:

Be aware that when you park strollers at attractions, you may come out to find the stroller has been moved. CMs sometimes have to rearrange stroller to make more space for walking and yours may have been moved. Don't panic.

Ltmoko
03-25-2007, 01:22 PM
We are in the same situation as you but, we decided to bring our own...For what we are going to spend renting a stroller for 9 days, we can buy one and have it for outside the parks, around the resort and downtown. You never know how far it is from the bus stop to your room, and after a long day in parks the last thing I want to do is carry a45lb child. We are looking at one of the Maclaren strollers. Good luck! :mickey:

scootch713
03-25-2007, 02:06 PM
I would rent the double strollers there.... my girls were 4 1/2 and 7 for our last trip and the strollers there are so easy to push. My 7 year old didn't ride all the time, but enough that I sure got my money out of it.