PDA

View Full Version : AKL vs. Contemporary vs. Polynesian HELP?!?!

chasgooses
03-20-2007, 02:48 AM
I am planning a trip to WDW for next January and I was having trouble picking a hotel. The past times we have gone we stayed at the Yacht Club on the Concierge level and that has been a lot of fun, but this time we wanted to try something different, without losing out on quality.

I have narrowed it down to AKL Concierge, Contemporary MK view, and Polynesian MK View/Garden View Concierge. Here are my pros/cons for each.

AKL
Pros: the cheapest (by about $500) and it does have the the savanna views and the Sunrise Safari thing (or whatever they call it). Animal Kingdom surprised everyone when it was our favorite park last time we visited.

Cons: Is it also far away from everything but AKL? We like being in the action at the Yacht Club and so close to Epcot and MGM. I also fear that the rooms aren't as nice as the other two and the theming is too much (those rooms look dark and smallish for the money). Also we will be there in January so construction might be an issue.

CONTEMPORARY
Pros: I have always liked the Contemporary, even though it isn't as themed as the others, it just looks so strikingly different than the other hotels and I always think of it when I think of WDW. I really like the looks of the new rooms (probably the best of the three) and their MK views look like the best. It is the second cheapest ($200 less than the Poly's MK view, but = to Lagoon view). I love the monorail and always make a point of riding it even though it is completely useless when we are staying at the Yacht Club. I like California Grill a lot.

Cons: The construction will still be going on? Concierge floor is too expensive. Least Disney feeling of all the hotels (it doesn't bother me as much as some, but it could be better)

POLYNESIAN:
Pros: Along with the Contemporary I have always wanted to stay here (I have fond memories of their children's club when my parent's dropped me off there when I was little). Very themed. Monorail. Concierge a possibility (are the MK views that great/garden views that bad? because I like the benefits of the Concierge, but I am not willing to pay for the concierge lagoon view). The Poly seems to be everyone's favorite but WHY?

Cons: Most expensive (could be equal to Contemporary if I got the lagoon view room, are they that much different than the MK views?). The views don't look as great as those at the Contemporary or AKL. Could get cloying after 5 days. The longhouse set-up is weird to my eyes.

Based on my pros and cons and your experiences with each which would you choose? Also should I consider the Grand Floridian Lagoon/MK with these? If I did what would you think of it compared to the first three?

Thanks so much for your help, sorry for the epic post.

SBETigg
03-20-2007, 07:03 AM
If you want to try something new, and you like the proximity to the parks, I would go for Polynesian Concierge. The Garden views from that building are lovely! You're overlooking the quiet pool and lush Polynesian grounds. Plus, you have the fantastic view of the lagoon from the concierge lounge- a spectacular view straight on to the castle, and a wonderful place to relax and unwind. You also have fantastic transportation options, an easy walk to the TTC and monorail to Epcot, a boat launch or monorail to the MK.

I think of all your options, the Polynesian concierge(garden view or lagoon view) will be the most impressive and magical.

Spaceship Tigger
03-20-2007, 07:50 AM
If you're going in January, construction at the AKL shouldn't be an issue since the work on the main lodge is supposed to be done by this fall.

I'm not a big fan of the Contemporary, but an MK view would be very nice.

Mr. Tom Morrow
03-20-2007, 08:23 AM
I'd go with the Polynesian either MK view or consierge. I've stayed in Contemporary MK view and if I get a low floor I find it a little loud.Its an amazing view from MK view Contemporary though, especially the higher floors. Polenesian Concierge is fantastic and garden view rooms here are better than most garden rooms at other resorts. But there is nothing like looking out your window over the lagoon and seeing the Magic Kingdom on the other side, or seeing Wishes from your room.All tht being said I'd go MK view Polenesian.:thumbsup: :tikki:

scootch713
03-20-2007, 09:03 AM
We were recently upgraded to a MK castle view room at the Contemporary and it was so nice, the "WOW" factor! I love being so close to MK too(but then again, I have two princesses, we go to MK just about daily when we are there). I have also stayed at the poly. The grounds are very beautiful. Great place for couples or those who have some time for romance(my hubby doesn't go to disney with me... so we usually opt for the Contemporary, closeness to MK when we can afford it).

mrsgaribaldi
03-20-2007, 11:59 AM
We stayed at the Contemporary with a MK view in Nov and the Poly in Jan (garden view). We both agreed that we loved the Poly much, much more that the Contemporary. The Poly is now our favorite resort:thumbsup:

chasgooses
03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all your help, I figured Poly would be the reccomended one. Now I just have to find a way to justify the extra cost. You don't think the Grand Floridian is any better for $50-100 more do you?

Also, since I will be there in the low season (the second week of January) I was wondering how hard it is to finangle an upgrade. I am usually quite good at it for hotels and have even done it successfully on some flights. WDW seems like a tougher nut to crack, but if there is availability and I am charming do I stand a chance?

Finally, how do I book this trip since it seems as though the website is not booking packages for next year yet. Do I wait for them to release the 2008 pricing? Can I call?

Thanks for your help again!

pox24
03-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Its the best on the planet... Lotta food, hot, well prepared. Lounge facing the castle. We liked it better than the GF concierge. Little less stuffy too, if you know what I mean.:thumbsup:

Bruegge
03-20-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree with most of the posters... Poly Conceirge was probably my best disney trip to date.

I've been to the CR on one occasion.... While I'm not that picky my DW found the room while "contemporary" to be "too color busy". A small point I know but it mattered to her.

Scott

PetefromRI
03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
We stayed at the Poly MK/Lagoon view in Tahiti.It was awesome.I know if I were trying to cut corners I'd drop the concierge so that I'd be able to stay at the Poly.I've never done concierge at Disney but from what I've seen and heard unless you need someone to make ressies and such why bother?I don't think I'd use the lounge much for snacks because we're either in the parks or lying by the pool.Who knows,maybe I'll try it some day and be sold on it,but from what I see I'd just as soon stay anywhere at the Poly and save the money by not going concierge.

chasgooses
03-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Based on our past experiences at the Yacht Club which have both been concierge, we are pretty sold on the concept. We are grazers in terms of eating habits so the food situation provided at the concierge level generally is a better deal for us than most. The way I see it is that the concierge upgrade is close to the DDP in terms of price (you pay a little more but you do get bump up in terms of service) and since we just snack in the park and have a big dinner only a couple times during our stay the food offerings at the concierge are more what we want anyways. Plus free water bottles were clutch for the parks. We realize that difference in price between Concierge and non-Concierge is not completely made up by the food perks, but it makes the difference feel a lot less in our eyes and, in most cases, its worth it.

The lagoon/MK views from Poly don't look that amazing (not in comparison with the Contemporary) and for the same price it might be more valuable to get the Garden View concierge (there is a $10 per night difference).

That said, if we do decide to forgo the Concierge and since we seem to be zeroing in on the Poly, is there a significant difference in terms of the Lagoon View vs. the MK View for non-concierge rooms because the price difference is enough that it is worth considering.

threeh
03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
I know you allready decided but I'm going to give another thumbs up for the Polynesian. I stayed CR and the tower views are really nice but the Poly is a better package deal. Being able to walk to TTC is really easy. It's always my choice.:mickey:
Have a great trip!! I'm hoping to go garden view concierge next January or Feb, so hopefully I'll see you there!!!:thumbsup:
Also I think the difference between MK view and garden concierge is a few dollars a night so IMHO it's worth it. My family is a bunch of grazers as well. Once you see that view from the loung you won't be able to stay any where else (don't say I didn't warn you)

chasgooses
03-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all your help.

Animal Kingdom is pretty much out. I saw the aerial view of the whole compound. That savanna looks mighty dinky. I was always stupidly under the impression that the hotel overlooked the main savanna from the Kilamanjaro Safari ride.

You don't have to convince me that the concierge is worth it, (particularly at only $11 more per night than the MK view) we are just trying to decide if the Concierge would be worth sacrificing for an MK view, particularly when we could make use of probably the best view in the whole resort from the lounge.

I am convinced that the Polynesian is what we want, but my sister still is leaning towards the Contemporary (she is using my love of both the monorail going through my hotel and the W-esque renovated rooms against me) where upon repricing we discovered we could do Atrium Concierge with a non-guaranteed MK view room for about the same price as Poly GVC (if one wasn't available on the 12th floor when we got there couldn't they just give us any MK view room in the Tower and just add access to the 12th floor so we could use the lounge?) It would be a hassle, but probably worth it. That said, we are probably going to do Poly GVC.

Now we just have to wait until the 2008 rates come out to make the reservation ;)

PetefromRI
03-21-2007, 07:34 PM
You guys peeked my interest.I haven't really payed much attention to concierge pricing at the resorts but if it's only 10.00 more per night to stay GVC over regular room MK View I think I'd give that a try.We thought that the MK View from Tahiti was beautiful but for a few dollars more maybe I'll have to give GVC a shot,I wouldn't mind a little grazing with an MK view from the lounge myself.Thanks guys,everytime I come to this site(every day)I figure out a way to spend more money .51 more days till the CBR!!!