PDA

View Full Version : Remembering

smartinez1
03-19-2007, 11:23 AM
My mother was a huge Disney fan, probably one of the biggest! She passed away 12 years ago, but ever trip back since then, there are certain things that remind me of her. Popcorn, her wish someday, was when she retired, she wanted to get a part time job at DW selling popcorn. She didn't want to work at any of the rides, because she was afraid that seeing it from backstage or with it's lights on might ruin the magic for her. Also, the Kodak movie that you see before you go into Honey I Shrunk the Audience, the one with the song "Makin Memories"? My mom loved that song. God I miss her so much at times. When my family and I went back this past September, it was really magical. It was the first time going with my husband, my brother since we were kids, my Dad, sis in law, and the newest addition to our family, my 2 year old nephew. There were times just being there during that trip that I felt like she was there with us.

DizNee143
03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
awww...im glad you felt like she was there with you...becuase im sure she was...im glad you have such wonderful memories of your mom and disney...and hey maybe you can live out her dream of selling popcorn there one day!! :mickey:

smartinez1
03-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. I have often thought about moving to FL when I retire, just so I could work at my favorite place ever, WDW! I would love to go down and work there someday, we will have to wait and see! As for my post, I meant to put on there to ask if Disney, or a ride or a Disney smell reminds them of anyone? They don't necessarily have to be passed on or anything. I know about 7 years ago when I was there with a friend, everytime I passed the popcorn vendors I would also think of my Dad (who is still living). I don't know what it is with my family and popcorn, but when we were little, my Dad would make us stop literally every hour on the hour for a popcorn break. We used to get so mad at him because he was taking away from our "ride time". He would just laugh. He did it again when we went back in September, I am suprised Disney didn't run out of popcorn that week!!

PirateLover
03-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your touching story! The only thing that comes to my mind right now is that my grandfather called it "Dizzy World" and so whenever I hear someone else use that phrase, I think of him.

Jenemmy
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Sweet story. I think a lot of things at the parks evoke memories for me. Whenever I pass the Main Street Bake Shop, I think of my honeymoon when new DH and I started every morning of our honeymoon with a quick trip to the MK to hit the bakery for breakfast and then ride space mountain before we did anything else. Also, I will forever associate Big Thunder Mountain with my mom --- it is her absolute favorite and always has been.

The Indiana Jones show reminds me of a trip i took with my oldest son when he was 5. DH sent just me and DS on that trip for some special time and he fell hard for that show. i think we saw it 5 times that trip and he carried his little Indiana action figure everywhere. Now, he is 11 and some of the pixie dust has fallen off of him and been replaced by "way too cool for that" dust....LOL

indytraveler
03-19-2007, 04:53 PM
My special Disney memory occurs around the Dumbo ride in the MK. My grandfather used to work maintenance for "The Mouse" as he would call it. And one of his pet projects back in the mid '70's was to make sure Timothy Mouse had his whip moving up and down. So everytime we are in the park now I point it out to my kids. So it has a special place where I get to connect with him again.
There are other stories he told over the years but that one was one he always wanted to show us when we would go to th MK with him.

DISFREAKS
03-19-2007, 07:05 PM
In '05 DW and I took my DD(16 at the time), her friend and my FIL. We have taken a few trips before with just the 3 of us and have so many great memories. The first day we go to MK and the first thing we see is Cinderellabration. When the show starts, Dads all over the crowd start to put their DDs on their shoulders. The memories of me and my little girl just start rushing over me and I almost lost it.
Cherish every day because they grow up way too fast.
We are very close but their is nothing better than having your DD sitting on your shoulders taking in all the magic!

smartinez1
03-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Wow, great stories guys, thanks for posting. I will always think of my husband now whenever I ride Peter Pan's flight. This last September, was his first trip, and that was the first ride we went on. He was fascinated. Also, my Dad says that IASW reminds him of me. On our first trip when I was 2, that was my favorite ride. He said I kept making him go on it over and over. He said by the end of the trip, everytime we would walk by it, he felt like he was going to :sick: . Still he rode it for me. Now he rides it for his grandson. What great memories we all will have years to come of Disney and our families!!

TikiGoddess
03-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I always think of my mom when I'm riding on the Carousel. It was something we always did at WDW (and at fairs, other parks) -- we rode the carousel. Now my mom is house bound and will not be able to go to WDW again, but I am there sharing it with my little girls. Hopefully when they grow up they will remember me in the same way.

I also remember one trip when I was a kid... my dad was fascinated by the steel drum band that was playing in Adventureland. (this from a man who loves country music!) He still mentions it to this day. So every time I walk through Adventureland I think of him.

TikiG

SandmanGStefani24
03-20-2007, 09:55 PM
that was such a great story! I think so many of us have strong emotional attachments to WDW. It's always great to hear about them. I feel people leave a part of themselves behind when they go somewhere they love. I know a part of me will always be inside or around Spaceship Earth, since it means so much to me. Plus, whenever I'm there I'd like to think those who are no longer with me are seeing it through my eyes and enjoying it with me. I always have a little extra fun for them.
Thanks for sharing your story with us smartinez1!

merlinmagic4
03-20-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm sure she was there with you. So great to have wonderful memories........

battle beast
03-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Sometimes, when at Disneyland, I feel Walt's presence over me. It's kinda weird, but I feel like he's watching from above, happy to all the smiling faces.:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
03-21-2007, 11:15 AM
. . . Also, the Kodak movie that you see before you go into Honey I Shrunk the Audience, the one with the song "Makin Memories"? My mom loved that song . . .

1) I have the original True Colors song from the show.
2) Send me an email.
3) I will reply with the clip.

MinnieMommie
03-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Thank you for the poignant story. I can hear the great love you have for your mom in your words. My guess is that my kids will some day be telling stories about how much they connect my love for Disney with their memories of me. What a nice story! :mickey:

c&d
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I understand, my mother died about 13 years ago and she loved Epcot and the jumping water. We took my dad back about 7 years after she died and all he wanted to see was the "jumping water." When we got there he just looked at said how much my mother loved that part of Epcot. Every trip now I stop by and see them.

BedknobsandBroomsticks
03-22-2007, 11:37 AM
I am reminded of my Dad whenever I see the kennels near Fort Wilderness. We took our dog to Disney with us the last year we went before he died. We went in Oct. of 88 and he died in March of 89. He didn't want to leave her home. Every day he and I would leave what ever park we were at and ride the transportation back to the kennels to walk "Tanya". We talked and laughed. We had some years where we not especially close and I am so grateful to have had that time to reconnect before he passed. He was a gruff, at times, ex-marine, but boy did he love Disney. He especially loved EPCOT and taking video of parades. He would stand for a whole hour and take video of the Easter Parade from start to finish. We are taking my mom and brother with us when our family goes this Oct. My brother wanted to go so badly for the 25th Anniversary of the opening of EPCOT. We were there opening month in 82. Glad to be making some new wonderful memories with them soon. We will staying at POFQ!