PDA

View Full Version : What do do the 1st evening?

AZ Disney
03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
HI Everyone,
I'm hoping to get some great ideas for what we should do the first evening to maximize our time? We will be travelling all day and arriving at MCO at about 4:45pm (DH, DS9, DS4). We'll be there from Jan 19-26 (first and last day are travel days). We'll also be using the DDP and after all day travel DH will want a really good dinner. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Jasper
03-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Getting into the airport that late in the day and then taking into account the time it will take you to get to Disney World and then settled into your room, I would suggest that you not try to do a park on the first day. I would however, suggest that you take in DownTown Disney. There are several good places to eat and you can stretch your legs while doing some shopping. Plus, you won't feel so rushed and then if you are tired from traveling you can get back to your room for an early night and be ready to hit the parks the next morning.

AZ Disney
03-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks. I realized I should have added just a little bit more info about our trip. I definitely don't plan on going to any of the parks, but was really wondering where we should go for dinner to start the magic and also that this is a birthday celebration for my boys. At this point, it looks like POP will be our resort.
Thanks again!

caryrae
03-15-2007, 01:05 PM
I might suggest if you would feel up to it and not to tired, We really loved the Hoop-Dee-Doo revue dinner show at Fort Widlerness. It was very fun and the foos was pretty good. You would have to make avanced reservations cause it sells out pretty fast I think. http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dinnershows.asp#Hoop

KAJUNKING
03-15-2007, 01:12 PM
if you want to start your trip with character dining, we love chef mickeys and that would be a great place to start and clebrate the birthdays, and it is on ddp :mickey:

KAJUNKING
03-15-2007, 01:17 PM
I might suggest if you would feel up to it and not to tired, We really loved the Hoop-Dee-Doo revue dinner show at Fort Widlerness. It was very fun and the foos was pretty good. You would have to make avanced reservations cause it sells out pretty fast I think. http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dinnershows.asp#Hoop

a friend of mine went there on his last trip and really enjoyed it, his only complaint was its not worth 2 ts credits, you are better off paying for it out of your pocket and use you ts credits elsewhere :mickey: character dining (with the exception of crt) only uses 1 ts credit

Ricbr
03-15-2007, 01:24 PM
I am going to be in the same boat as you for our trip coming up in July. We arrive at MCO close to around 4-4:30 pm and we wanted to try to get something in that evening.

My DW and I have two DS's (2 and 6) so we didnt want to try and go crazy with such a busy day of travel.

So we finally decided to eat dinner with a 6 - 6:30 PM reservation at Boatwrights in POR since that is where we are staying. We figured that we didnt want to make a reservation for a really good place just in case we have any delays with the flight....you never know. If I was going to miss out on a reservation it was going to be for the restaurant in our resort and not something like LeCellier or one of the character meals that the kids would be upset about had they missed it.

Finally after dinner we were just going to take a relaxing trip over to the Magic Kingdom. It will be my sons first time to see anything in WDW...so we thought a trip to see the castle would be the way to go. We could easily watch one of the night time parade (Spectromagic I think it is) or we could hit a few of the kiddie rides if the lines are manageable. I think it is the way to go for us. But knowing that you didnt want to go to a park on the first day....just remember those kids may never forget seeing that castle all lit up at night on their first day there.

Either that or they will be going nuts for a day or more waiting to see it :)
When is your trip?

HndrdPrcnt
03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
We were in your same boat for our trip. We decided to start our trip off with a dinner at O'Hana. Let me tell you, after a full day of travelling and being totally famished, it was perfect. The food is great and it is meat by the pound that you can just eat and eat. Also, the scalloped potatoes and the bread pudding were highlights of the meal as well. And, if you get a table by the windows, you can watch Wishes from your table. A GREAT way to get started!!:thumbsup:

AZ Disney
03-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Ricbr,
You make some great points. This is our 2nd trip to WDW and hope to have a better plan this time around. We were so overwhelmed last time. I know my husband too well to think that he'll be up for a park that evening. Keep him well fed and everything will be fine. We are regulars at Disneyland, so I just want to make sure we get the most out of WDW since we won't be back for probably another 3-5 years. The ADR's have me a little confused, so I think I'm going to post another thread asking for clarification.
Thanks All!

AZ Disney
03-15-2007, 01:50 PM
HndrdPrcnt,
I'm really liking the Wishes idea. Just moved to Arizona not too long ago. We're originally from Walnut Creek, CA - not that far from Roseville. Thanks for the suggestion.

mmr42
03-15-2007, 02:27 PM
I like the cape may cafe. Then afterwards you can stroll the boardwalk. If you time it right you may be able to see the fireworks from Epcot.

Tasmen
03-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I'd recommend dinner either somewhere in DD or a resort restaurant. We are having dinner at Jiko on our first night. Just be sure to have a buffer on your ADR to take into account possible flight delays.

dizfanforever
03-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Our favorite thing to do is eat at a "monorail" resort and then hop on the monorail for a bit. Last year and the year before we ate dinner at 'Ohana and then took the monorail to the TTC and then over to Epcot. We didn't actually go in the park, we just rode the monorail. My boys got to ride in the front. It was really neat and a great way to get into the "Disney mood"!
:mickey:

Jasper
03-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I would agree that Chef Mickey's is a good place for a celebration dinner. And as others have mentioned you can then do the monorail and see the lights or maybe even stop at the other monorail resorts and take in the themes. We also love taking the monorail through Epcot.

If you don't want to do that much riding around and also are thinking about the shopping I mentioned earlier than a great themed restaurant at Down Town is the Rain Forest Cafe. The House of Blues is also a good place to eat. The only issue with eating at any of the restaurants in the Down Town area is that they are not Disney themed.

AZ Disney
03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate all the suggestions.

May524
03-15-2007, 03:50 PM
My family is driving, I think my DH and I are flying, but for our first night we are doing the Hoop Dee Doo. Depending on travel time and flights we aren't sure if we will hit the parks day one or not.
Hoop Dee Doo is great and Fort Wilderness is a beautiful resort.

DizNee143
03-15-2007, 04:15 PM
my suggestion is..going to downtown disney...walk around get something to eat..maybe do some shopping...its a pretty good way to start your...or just hang around your resort...take a look around there get something to eat..go hang out at the pool for a while...whatever you decide to do i hope you and your family have a great vacation!! :mickey:

heart4princephillip
03-15-2007, 05:07 PM
HndrdPrcnt,
I'm really liking the Wishes idea. Just moved to Arizona not too long ago. We're originally from Walnut Creek, CA - not that far from Roseville. Thanks for the suggestion.

There is a great comedy club in Walnut Creek...ahh, college memories!

Tink35
03-15-2007, 06:43 PM
During our last trip we had the same circumstances as you. We decided on taking our boys to Chef Mickeys (7pm ressie) to celebrate my son's 5th birthday. It was their first taste of all the magic waiting for them in the days ahead. Minnie came over with a special cupcake for him and danced at our table. It was great!
We then walked around the resort and then hopped the monorail for their first "ride." That night we got back to our room at 9:30ish and the boys went right to bed. It was a perfect arrival day for us.
Have a great time!! It's great to get that little taste of magic that very first day, whether it's early or later in the day.:mickey:

Speedy1998
03-15-2007, 07:22 PM
We do diner at 1900 park fare. Similar food to Chef Mickey, but eaasier to get into, and it gives my DD her Princess fix.

BW Fan
03-15-2007, 07:39 PM
If your kids are sports fans, you might try the ESPN club on the Boardwalk. Even have cold beer for parents. Also, the Boardwalk atmosphere gets you in the Disney mood.

mudpuppysmom
03-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally I was thinking of O'hana b/c of the kids.....otherwise Kona. I gotta say, the Poly is really relaxing!!!

Then you mentioned the kids birthdays and immediately Chef Mickey's came to mind.

Either way, depending on when you are finished you can see the fireworks after diner more than likely.

From the CR, after you finish at Chef Mickey's you an walk out to the platform and watch from there.

From the POLY you can walk out to the beach and see the fireworks from there, plus the kids can play on the beach. Also, if you are there on a night when the Electical Water Pageant is going on, you can catch that one too from the Poly beach!!

pwdebbie
03-16-2007, 09:06 AM
We will be arriving at POFQ on a Tuesday afternoon. My original plans were dinner reservations at Cap'n Jacks in DTD after a relaxing boat ride there from the resort. Now having read your replies in this thread, I am wondering if it would be wiser to not have reservations and just eat somewhere in DTD on a whim? What do you all think? I'm new at this and have learned so much by reading what you all write.

Oct. '07, POFQ

kaylamag
03-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Did you say you were going in Jan. I tried to book my Jan. trip with Disney and they said i had to wait until June or July! Did you have any trouble booking?

Momof2boys
03-16-2007, 11:33 AM
We have dinner at Whispering Canyon at the WL. Followed by a boat ride to the Contemporary and a couple loops around on the monorail. Always gets us in the Disney mood.

AZ Disney
03-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Yes, We're going in January, and will be going through MJ. I was told that packages would be available around August. I haven't called Disney, but did get the vacation planning DVD in the mail yesterday. We're so excited.

King Triton
03-16-2007, 12:53 PM
You're getting in pretty late in the day...if you're in at 4:45 into MCO, I'd guess you wouldn't get to the resort until around 6, and thats if you're on time. Travel days are rough; I'd be inclined to take it easy. If you're at a mod or deluxe, there's likely a nice restaurant onsite that would be good for dinner. Unpack, wind down from the trip, have that dinner and hit the pool for awhile...then get to bed at a decent time and you'll be all set to hit a park at a decent time the next morning.

DVC2004
03-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Start your trip with dinner at O'Hana. Great food and a fun and unique Disney atmosphere. Have a Lapu Lapu (great tropical drink) for me!

wdw_bound
03-16-2007, 08:24 PM
You don't mention if you're renting a car. If you are relying on Disney transportation, a resort meal is going to take longer to get to, and after travelling all day, may not be worth dealing with (my DH gets grumpy when hungry, too). If you are staying at Pop without a car, I'd recommend finding something at DTD since you can get a bus directly there and then can take your time walking around the stores (World of Disney would be a great place for birthday treats for your kids, and they could get their birthday buttons at Guest Relations).

If you'll have a car, I'd suggest Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge or 'Ohana at the Poly. Both are great meals, WCC would be a lot of fun for the boys (they make a big deal about birthdays), and you could go to the beach at either place and watch the Electric Water Pageant.

Nekochan
03-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I would vote for Chef Mickey's, then head over to the Polynesian and have drinks on the beach while you watch the Electric Water Pageant and fireworks. If Wishes are at 9 pm that night you'll get both the EWP and fireworks at about the same time.

tys_mommy
03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Since we are driving down we aren't planning to do a park our first day there, depending on our arrival time we are thinking about going miniature golfing, our son loves to play putt-putt. This is something we wanted to do on our last visit but with trying to visit the parks as much as possible, we never seemed to find the time.

PiratesCove
03-21-2007, 02:05 PM
We head to Down Town Disney! We walk around to soak up the Disney magic , eat...uasally @ Rain Forest Café, and shop!!!
It's something we do every time, we love it!!

murphy1
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I agree on Chef Mickey's!! Nothing says "Welcome to Disney" like this! I do think you need to do O'hana at some point, but start it off with a bang!