PDA

View Full Version : Kids in Downtown Disney

the other micki
03-15-2007, 12:47 AM
On my next trip, I'll have my dd14, ds8 and ds6 with me. I thought about going one evening to DTD, but what things would interest them at the Marketplace? Should I just stick to the theme parks?:confused:

WDWfanatic742
03-15-2007, 02:04 AM
Me and my brother (16 and 13), thought that we both would be bored with Downtown Disney all together, but it was actually pretty cool doing something other than the theme parks and doing some shopping as well.

Doc JC
03-15-2007, 06:47 AM
We've been taking our kids to WDW for Spring Break for 18 years. (They are now 22 and 20.) They love Downtown Disney. There's always some street performer or music going on, and as teenagers, they loved Disney Quest. If you are concerned about excessive marketing to kids, you might want to avoid this, but hey, this is Disney. We always gave them spending limits, and they decided how to spend it. :mickey:

tink55
03-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Lego Imagination Center. World of Disney. Once Upon a Toy. Days of Christmas. Pin Traders. Disney's Candy Cauldron. Pooh Corner. Mickey's Mart (cheap stuff!).

What's NOT to love? Even if they only have a few bucks to spend, DTD is a wonderful place to window shop for kids. We make an excursion to DTD every trip. We always go on the last day of our trip, so we can use our 10% AP discount for souveniers at the World of Disney. Almost any souvenier you've seen in the parks, except for a few specialty items, can be found at World of Disney. Disney Visa cardholders get a 10% discount at WoD also. It makes waiting until the last day to buy goodies worth it.

DDuck66
03-15-2007, 10:06 AM
We love DTD!!! We live close by so a lot of times we will make a trip just to DTD. There is the shopping and events as well. We always get some good pictures and a lot of times the window dressing makes the trip worthwhile.

mdricks
03-15-2007, 02:20 PM
We often have a 1/2 day, the day we arrive or depart, that we take our 5 and 8 year olds. Be prepared to part with your hard earned cash but the trip would not be the same without it. Also if you make plans to eat at a resort other than yours (we stay in POFQ and go to O'Hana's) then DDD is a good hub for inter-resort travel.

DisneyDoyon
03-15-2007, 02:50 PM
It has been out tradition to have our first dinner at Chef Mickey's and then head to DTD! My DDs age 4 and 6 love it there! I can't think of one shop that doesn't appeal to the Disney lover :mickey:

Tink#64
03-16-2007, 10:38 PM
We always go to DTD on arrival day. My family has decided that's it's a tradition that they want to keep going! We check in at our resort, have lunch & then go to DTD! It's such a fun way to start our trip! We love the shops mentioned above - with the Lego store being our favorite! We love all the life size things made of Lego outside of the store! My DS's always have Disney $'s to spend and they usually manage to spend quite a few of them at DTD! (They usually get Disney $'s for Valentines Day, Easter, report cards, from grandparents, ect.) The pin selection there is great! We love spending a little time outside of Rain Forest Cafe watching them interact with the birds! It's really cool. We usually walk all the way down to the West Side stopping at various shops. DS's like the Magic Shop! DH likes the cigar shop! We like to eat at Planet Hollywood and last year we did Disney Quest!

There are alot of choices and it's just another fun part of our Disney trip!:mickey:

Snowwite
03-17-2007, 02:14 PM
The Lego shop has an outdoor play area where kids can make and race cars. There are cool Lego creations all over including a Sea Monster in the lake. There is a McDonalds, Ghiardelli Soda Fountain, Disney Quest, House of Blues w/the Blues brothers car out front,a marina to rent boats, a stage w//live free entertainment,kids are allowed in the comedy club and the Adventureres club, you can poke around Planet Hollywood , The world of Disney, The Toy store, Goofys candy place is awesome, there is a 10 and under shop as well as other stuff like pick a pearl, leather crafter, blowen glass etc.

tinksmom02
03-17-2007, 11:57 PM
We love DTD! On our past trips we've headed over there on arrival day...it's kind of a way to get in the Disney spirit before Disney, if that makes sense! DD4 loved the carousel last time, and I enjoyed all the shopping (of course LOL) DD also enjoyed posing with all the statues, and her first oin trade was at the pin store at DTD! Our last trip, we enjoyed dinner at Rainforest on our first night, and later in the week headed back to enjoy Earl of Sandwich and Ghirardelli's--two must do's for me!

We stayed at POR so getting there (by ferryboat) was half the fun!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Our kids love DTD too. They are looking forward to hopping on the boat or walking over there during our first trip home to SSR in September.

We usually do not spend too much money there, we go in the evening for dinner at Rainforest Cafe and then get them an ice cream. DD also loves to take a train ride. They just love checking everything out.

Snowwite
03-18-2007, 08:27 PM
You can also take a boat ride to the POR resort and back

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-30-2007, 10:04 PM
And they have or had the fountain in the sidewalk, so you could bring a change of clothes and let the little ones run through the fountain. If I remember right, it was over towards the Earl of Sandwich side.

Christine
03-30-2007, 10:11 PM
My daughter has enjoyed DTD since her first trip at the age of 2 1/2. There is plenty to do, see, and take in for kids of all ages. I wouldn't miss any opportunity to go to DTD by any means!