PDA

View Full Version : VMK, Getting tougher?

WDWfanatic742
03-13-2007, 05:56 PM
VMK Values were updated today to include this:

Create or open any type of 'relationship' room. (This includes, but is not limited to, rooms that include words like 'meet,' 'pick,' 'get,' 'find,' 'have,' 'taken,' etc. in the title).

JPL
03-13-2007, 08:05 PM
It's about time :thumbsup:

mickeytinkerbellprincess
03-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Erm.. How are we going to do some game rooms then? Like "find" the treasure or "Get" to the end of the race?

Mr. Tom Morrow
03-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Just when I was starting to lose faith in VMK values. I agree.... about time.

varcity
03-14-2007, 12:53 AM
do I lose my bay be?

Blue Genie
03-14-2007, 01:38 AM
I don't get it? Did we just lose those names or what?

LittleDragonErin
03-14-2007, 02:02 AM
It just means you can't create "boy meet girl", "girl meet boy", "boy meet boy", "girl meet girl", "boys pick girls", etc. rooms anymore.

Meet and all forms of Pick have also been taken out of the dictionary. (Poor PikNik...no more nickname for her...and JP can't "pick his nose" anymore :P.)

Blue Genie
03-14-2007, 02:30 AM
So we still can use the name meet but not as boy meet girl. So I could use it as like more then meets the eye

Chescat
03-14-2007, 02:59 AM
What Erin is saying is that meet is out of the dictionary. Along with Pick and some variations. I just hope PikNik doesn't lose her title. :(

I'm glad to see that VMK is finally doing something about the ridiculous behavior that occured over the weekend with some of these rooms. We reported and nothing. Talked to hosts, nothing. Got the usual canned messages. Everybody rallied together and wrote messages and opened up rooms to put these other rooms out of business. I think VMK finally woke up and realized many people were going to walk away from VMK if something wasn't done. VMK values had been broken and enough was enough.

Thank you VMK staff for finally listening and making a stand. This game is about kids and outrageous and in your face behavior is just not acceptable. If this was a game for people over 18 that's one thing, but not the range 8-14. Rules #3 and #6 had definitely been broken!

Blue Genie
03-14-2007, 03:11 AM
or great then that means I can't call behave have anymore right. That was my nickname for her as for pin i've been starting to call her pink

Blue Genie
03-14-2007, 03:13 AM
And get is out of the word or great I use that word alot thanks alot VMK :mad:

Chescat
03-14-2007, 03:14 AM
Have for Behave should be fine. It just they don't want it in a room title.

Guess Phinny has to change her Let's Get Wild Quest. :blush:

Blue Genie
03-14-2007, 03:17 AM
I met to say pik not pin. I've been calling pik pink these last few days.

Chescat
03-14-2007, 03:26 AM
Okay rewind.

Words out the dictionary are Meet and forms of Pick.

For room titles only:
Create or open any type of 'relationship' room. (This includes, but is not limited to, rooms that include words like 'get,' 'find,' 'have,' 'taken,' etc. in the title).

Blue Genie
03-14-2007, 03:40 AM
So your saying 'get,' 'find,' 'have,' 'taken are ok to say still in the game right?:confused: I just may have to try it myself tomorrow that is if I don't get call in work again like I did tonight.

Mr. Tom Morrow
03-14-2007, 10:17 AM
So your saying 'get,' 'find,' 'have,' 'taken are ok to say still in the game right?:confused: I just may have to try it myself tomorrow that is if I don't get call in work again like I did tonight.

Yes Genie all of those words are still in the game, with the exception of pick. Pick is out of the game. It is not against the values to use these words, it is just against values to use them in certain ways.
You had a good idea go on the game and try these words in your afk room and you'll see.

JPL
03-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Wait so nobody can pick their nose:confused:

varcity
03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose anymore.

Pick is a tough word to lose out of the dictionary. I can't Pick what I want for trade anymore. I need to choose :mickey:

Blue Genie
03-14-2007, 12:53 PM
JP I think u can pic your nose like this.
:blush:

Blue Genie
03-14-2007, 01:10 PM
ok I just did the test on VMK. So we still can use get and have. JP I was right you still can PIC your nose like this but not PICK your nose:D but there is a new word I just saw and it may be there new meet and pick word they may use. That is.

Girl to girl I saw that and it gave me the thinking of how they will use it like. Girl to boy boy to boy so that may be new name they use.

TinkRocks
03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
It honestly makes me wonder how hard it is for some people to recognize that VMK is a game. Why do people insist on using VMK as a dating or daycare service???

mickeytinkerbellprincess
03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
When I first went onto VMK, taken was kinda expected (who can avoid it?). What was weird was the "bay be" thing. Yes varcity can always have his bay be ;) but the "Im a little new worn bay be" and whatnot is really silly. Besides, all I see in Boys meet girls and bay be is a person looks at another, comes up and asks. I have a feeling its only because they're rich. :rolleyes:

One time (maybe more than once) I have seen a girls meet girls and boys meet boys. I reported, and guess what I got? The message practically meant "You cannot discriminate groups." I have nothing against them, but in a game meant for kids, should staff allow that type of thing?

bigpapiortiz34
03-14-2007, 08:53 PM
This is very much needed! Glad VMK finally took a stand for this taken stuff. I am not sure if will stop taken completely, (and maybe even day care and baby stuff) but it might sevearly go down (well at least that's my prediction)

Sure jp can't pick his nose, but he can occasionally scratch it :)

See.low
03-15-2007, 04:12 AM
It just means you can't create "boy meet girl", "girl meet boy", "boy meet boy", "girl meet girl", "boys pick girls", etc. rooms anymore.

Looks like Ricks is going to need to find a new hang out. :yes:

Mr. Tom Morrow
03-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Wait so nobody can pick their nose:confused:

There was no pick!

RicksCafe
03-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Looks like Ricks is going to need to find a new hang out. :yes:So unfair. How's a virtual boy supposed to find a virtual girl in this virtual day and age? Virtual-eHarmony.com?

Seriously, the great thing about VMK is that there is never a lack of places I can cause trouble. If it's not the "boy meet girl" rooms, I can move to the "bay.be day care" rooms.

Central Plaza is always a good place to rattle the kids. If you see me on the corner alone, I'm like a hawk, biding my time until I can mess with some rude spikey-haired boy's ego.

But my new favorite? The Sci-Fi Dine-in! If I'm in there, I'm wrecking havoc!

Ricks (who thinks you should know that the last time I was in a "boy meet girl" room in VMK, See.low was in there with me... boo.yaw! :faint: )

WDWfanatic742
03-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Sci-Fi Dine-In seems to be the place where a lot of the kids hang out at.

Blue Genie
03-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Last night when I first log on to VMK I when to the guest room list to see what I can fine and I found this out. Boy see Girl hang out. And on the part were it tells what the room is like it said something like this. Boys see girls as u know what I mean sends I can't use the other word anymore. So what does that tell u?

Chescat
03-15-2007, 06:07 PM
It's dictionary dancing which also can be the cause of a ban for people. Like in anything, there's always a group of people that believe they are over and above rules.

However, in this case from what I've been reading all over the place. Most people are in total agreement with this new policy. And I think this time, the VMK community has spoken. Enough is enough! :thumbsup:

Mr. Tom Morrow
03-15-2007, 06:36 PM
It's dictionary dancing which also can be the cause of a ban for people. Like in anything, there's always a group of people that believe they are over and above rules.

:

There is a full room on the popular list now using met in place of meet , dictionary dancing is alive and well. Unfortunately we have not see the end of questonable rooms by a long shot. Although this is a positive step it`ll take enforcement by VMK to help eliminate the rooms we have all seen and grown to dislike .

LittleDragonErin
03-15-2007, 06:52 PM
What's sad is we still lose out over this, by losing words we use for other purposes from the dictionary. I'll put good money on "met" being gone from our dictionary next week too. -_-'

mickeytinkerbellprincess
03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
So unfair. How's a virtual boy supposed to find a virtual girl in this virtual day and age? Virtual-eHarmony.com?

Seriously, the great thing about VMK is that there is never a lack of places I can cause trouble. If it's not the "boy meet girl" rooms, I can move to the "bay.be day care" rooms.

Central Plaza is always a good place to rattle the kids. If you see me on the corner alone, I'm like a hawk, biding my time until I can mess with some rude spikey-haired boy's ego.

Ricks (who thinks you should know that the last time I was in a "boy meet girl" room in VMK, See.low was in there with me... boo.yaw! :faint: )

:rotfl: :haha: :funny: :silly: :crazy::fresh: :laughing:

LittleDragonErin
03-15-2007, 11:31 PM
I was in a room a few minutes ago that had somebody with "I support gray" in their signature. VMK_Bingo came in and asked her to change it. Somebody asked if the boy meet girls stuff was no longer allowed because of what happened during the weekend and she said, "it was Disney's decision not to allow any couple rooms; and that is all I am allowed to say." So another girl asked if taken is no longer allowed or if just in signatures. And Bingo said, "we are not allowing it in signatures; so if you see somebody with it ask them to remove it; especially leaders."

Now that's good and bad. Bad because so many reports are going to happen (even Bingo said her night was going to be a busy night and from the few glances of seeing her on my list, she's been in and out of guest rooms all night so far) and leaders are going to have more ammunition against them now with that request. Ah well, it is why I volunteered. :)

Later in Stilgar's room, CL_Slinkyman asked the Help button about it and got back this response:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6384/nomoretakenfo0.png

Chescat
03-16-2007, 02:35 PM
What I found interesting in this whole weekend, was the fact that it almost seemed like a coordinated attack on VMK (5 different rooms at the same time). What they didn't count on was the fight back from parents fighting for their kids rights to play in a safe environment free from the outside world's issues. Its a virtual game, not the place to decide what's right or not! All those contact us letters got written and rooms were opened up against it saying we aren't taking it anymore.

The other thing that also seemed strange was that it appeared to have occurred when Yavn and his team went over seas. I know he said they would be going in a few weeks. But the newsletter got posted at night, when it would have been business hours over there. Also Yavn hasn't posted to his blog lately either. Coincidence. Not sure.

But I believe the delay in the response had to do with upper managment in Disney Online getting involved with the VMK team (lots of letters were being sent to Disney Online also) and saying we need to make a stand across the board. Which is fair to everybody not prejudice to one group. You can't stop boy meets boy and not stop boy meets girl.

Like I have said before, I applaude VMK for finally making a decision about all this. If people want a dating service play Sims. VMK is just a place to have fun. :D

bigpapiortiz34
03-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I have a question. What DID happen this weekend with the taken stuff? I, myself was not here, so I was just curious :thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
03-16-2007, 05:59 PM
What happened, if I understood correctly too, was that recently VMK has been shutting down Boy meet Girl rooms or Girl meet Boy rooms. Then this past week, there were a rash of Boy meet Boy rooms and VMK decided to send whoever reported the room a message saying something along the lines of if you don't like it, you don't have to be in there. So then alot of fansites including this on have been in an uproar about the entire subject and pretty much got together with sending in lots of messages into VMK saying that we all had enough. It looks like it worked for the time being. Now if they can start enforcing the rule. A couple of the staff were seen going room by room shutting down rooms last night.

Chescat
03-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Part of it was also the descriptions of the rooms also that bothered us. After reporting and reporting, got nothing. So Poohdent and bowlofcereal started a VMK Family Values room on Sunday night and sat around the room and discussed what we needed to do to get VMK's attention. The main thing was writing to them or taking it to Disney Online if we had too. That room got to the top of the list and we watched as those rooms started getting closed. Everybody was very supportive and tired of all this nonsense. They wanted their children and themselves safe. All sort of meet rooms whether is be boy meets girl, girl meets girl or boy meets boy, could be dangerous. There's too many predators out there.

Intercot people were also very supportive in the fight and want to thank all of you that did write to VMK and threaten to leave VMK until this was all over. We want this nonsense to stop and get back to the sillyness of VMK. Trying to unwind after work, school or the kids. Don't need the stress of all this.

LittleDragonErin
03-16-2007, 07:55 PM
I think the main part of it was 2 fold. VMK is free. And it survives on players (or in most cases, players' parents) spending money at the parks or on Disney merchandise. After all VMK is a marketing tool first and foremost. Who did you have this weekend sending in all those e-mails and messages? Majority were parents and adult figures. Who spends the money? The parents and adult figures. Next, who did they contact? I know many bypassed the black hole and went straight to DIG. After all, staff did say it was "Disney's decision" to change their policy on taken. They didn't say VMK's decision. And that's a big difference in my eyes. To me that says that Disney saw money being lost and needed to step in to protect its investment.

terri.m
03-16-2007, 11:32 PM
i'm very happy about this. i'm tired of my kids being "hit on". My sister won't even let her kids on vmk because of that. She'll be happy to hear that too!

wonder if i'll have to change my siggy now??:D

Blue Genie
03-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Well tonight when I got on wish was about 5pm CA time. I when to the guess list and I still saw 2 rooms with the name Boy MEETS Girl on them. I thought VMK took them away. But then again when I look back in there later when I was in Still and Lady's room they were gone. So ether VMK or themself when off. So I think they are still doing it some how?

mickeytinkerbellprincess
03-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Okay, I have to admit I'm a little confused. Has the words for "meet" "find" etc have been taken out? Because I'm on VMK right now and I see Boys meet girls still on the popular list. I see other rooms like Boys and Girls party. Is VMK supposed to be taking out "taken" from VMK? Or are they allowing it? :confused:

LittleDragonErin
03-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Okay, I have to admit I'm a little confused. Has the words for "meet" "find" etc have been taken out? Because I'm on VMK right now and I see Boys meet girls still on the popular list. I see other rooms like Boys and Girls party. Is VMK supposed to be taking out "taken" from VMK? Or are they allowing it? :confused:

Being that half...er...80% of the players don't read the newsletter, they probably don't know about the change to the values. Then there's also those players who like to work the system and try to find ways around the new rules. I believe VMK is taking steps to removing the whole "taken" thing but is going one step at a time as I'm sure a drastic change would cause quite an uproar. So this week has been the removal of "meet" rooms. We've heard the notices of "taken" not allowed in signatures as well, and I'm betting it will be mentioned in the newsletter this week. People have been asking the help button if taken is against the values and many are getting a simple response of "not yet". But notice the "yet".

WDWfanatic742
03-18-2007, 03:23 AM
We are getting to the point were every 5 minutes or as soon as you log in there will be a pop up window saying that they changed the rules. That would be the only way to tell everyone perfectly.

Blue Genie
03-18-2007, 03:46 AM
I don't know were I read it from but I hear that people like you fan, Dragon,JP AND CITA can go into there rooms and tell them to change the name cause all you guys are CL_. I could be wrong on that but that is what I read somewere just can't remember were I saw it at?

WDWfanatic742
03-18-2007, 10:08 AM
We probably could do it but I wouldn't for the simple fact that all I could do was request them to change the title. We have no authority and are supposed to leave things like this up to staff.

LittleDragonErin
03-18-2007, 10:32 AM
We can go in and REQUEST them to do so as they are doing something against the values, and there may be a chance they don't know it is. If they listen, then great. If they don't, it will most likely become an argument if the matter is pushed further. As for ORDERING them to, that's something best left to staff.

Remember when all the CL's got that PM about not helping during the maze event last year? Why can't VMK just send out a PM to everybody about it? I know pop up windows are more effective since you CAN'T miss them, but for something like this so we don't have to see it every 5 minutes for like a week, how about just a simple PM to say either here's the values updated or refer them via a link. Simplistic logic isn't their strong suit me thinks.

mickeynuts
03-18-2007, 11:35 AM
What I've been doing is just giving a reminder of the rules. I tell people that they might not know it yet but the rules have changed and those type of rooms aren't allowed anymore. I tell them I don't want to see them get into trouble so they might want to change the title and description before staff changes it. Anybody can do that when they come across it, but so far I've only been met with 'so what' and 'I can do what I want' and boots so I'm not going out of my way to tell them anymore. Staff will find them.
:cool: Laura

Blue Genie
03-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Sorry I didn't know about that. Like I said I think I read that some were so I may be wrong on it.

TinkRocks
03-19-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm glad VMK / Disney is stepping up to the plate and ensuring that VMK is a safe environment for everyone.

I'm sure most people (like myself) are ok / comfortable with what everyone's opinions & choices are in real life. However, I think that parents / friends / counselors / teachers / whoever should be the ones to discuss what's going on in today's society - not a computer game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but VMK is about hanging out and playing games with friends and forgetting about 'real life' stuff for an hour or two.

bigpapiortiz34
03-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Look what I found this week under the Community Reminder section of the newsletter page.

3/13 – Remember, it's against the VMK Values to create or open ANY type of 'relationship' room (rooms that include words like 'meet,' 'pick,' 'get,' 'find,' 'have,' 'taken,' etc.) in VMK. You'll be warned and possibly banned for opening any type of room that promotes this activity.
For more information or a reminder of what's acceptable in VMK refer to the VMK Values page.

Just thought I might want to share this :)

WDWfanatic742
03-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah, they added that a couple days after they made the changes to the values.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
03-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Phew finally! Most parents (kinda like mine) are extremely uncomfortable when things like taken pop up. It's kinda weird when someone is watching you play VMK and then a guy comes up saying "you're pretty" or "do you want to be my girl friend?"

:number1: Go VMK! Knock that taken stuff out!

Blue Genie
03-24-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey Doll want to be my girlfriend heehee:funny: :funny:

PinkJJ
03-24-2007, 03:04 AM

You sound like someone who has a lot of fun! Next time I hope I am there.:D

Marla
03-25-2007, 11:26 AM
On another board a VMK player asked Mocha if having "I do not do taken" in your signature was against VMK values? Mocha told her to please remove it. I have this in my signature, do you think I could get banned if I do not remove it?:tink:

LittleDragonErin
03-25-2007, 12:59 PM
On another board a VMK player asked Mocha if having "I do not do taken" in your signature was against VMK values? Mocha told her to please remove it. I have this in my signature, do you think I could get banned if I do not remove it?:tink:

Probably not banned but like with signatures that deal with religion (such as "I heart the king of kings" etc.) and such they will ask you to change it if they see it or if somebody reports you having it.

Marla
03-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks Erin. When I was in VMK today I removed it. I did not want to take any chances.:tink: