PDA

View Full Version : Chicago's Children's Museum?

amy-rella
03-12-2007, 11:55 PM
We recently took our two DD's to COSI in Columbus and they both really loved it! DH and I were discussing a possible trip to Chicago to visit their Children's museum and other places. Has anyone been to the museum with their children and would it be worth a trip (from Ohio) to check it out? We are always up for an adventure (maybe a long weekend?).

Thanks!

Jasper
03-13-2007, 12:08 AM
We have been to the Chicago Children's museum and it was ok but nothing really to write home about. Since you are coming from Ohio anyway, I would suggest that you try the Indianapolis Children's Museum instead. Indy's is many times larger and has so much more to offer than Chicago's. Frankly, once you have done Indy's you will have a hard time appreciating most other Children's museums.

FatCat
03-13-2007, 12:19 AM
We go to the musuem a bit but we are local.
Parking there will kill ya. Like $20+ or something.

They do accept our ASM membership so admission is free.

I have not been to the Indy one.

I guess if you are coming to Chicago to visit Navy Pier is up there on the list of things to do.

One good thing to do is check what the traveling exhibit is or anything on the calendar that may peak your interest.

We have found the Musuem of Science and Industry to be quite fun for our kids as well.

d_m_n_n
03-13-2007, 11:16 AM
We have been to the Chicago Children's museum and it was ok but nothing really to write home about. Since you are coming from Ohio anyway, I would suggest that you try the Indianapolis Children's Museum instead. Indy's is many times larger and has so much more to offer than Chicago's. Frankly, once you have done Indy's you will have a hard time appreciating most other Children's museums.

I second the stop (if you are travelling this way) at the Indpls Children's Museum. It has been voted several times by several different publications as the #1 Children's Museum in the country! Parking is free and admission is reasonable...but plan on spending a few hours (It is HUGE).

The Chicago Museum is ok, but my kids enjoyed the Museum of Science and Industry more.

Tick-Tock
03-13-2007, 12:16 PM
If you're up for a little longer trip some time, try the City Museum of St. Louis. We saw lots of kids having a blast! Plus there's the Arch, the zoo, and other stuff to do.

Donald
03-13-2007, 07:22 PM
My kids loved the Children's museum in Chicago (free admission on Thursday evenings after 5pm). They played for hours.

They also enjoyed the museum of Science and Industry, the Aquarium (get there when it opens-lines form quickly), the Lincoln Park Zoo (free),and the John Hancock Observatory. I purchased the City Pass-this allows admission to the Museum of Science and Industry, the Aquarium, the Planetarium, the Field Museum (dinasours), and the John Hancock Observatory. It saved us some $$

And of course, with girls, you must visit the American Girl Shoppe.

amy-rella
03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies! We are definitely interested in the Museum of Science and Industry too. We would also like to check out the Children's Museum in Indy (that could possibly be a day trip for us with Nana & Grandpa too!).

And yes - we would love to visit the American Girl store.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Belle619
03-29-2007, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=Donald;1222712]They also enjoyed the museum of Science and Industry, the Aquarium (get there when it opens-lines form quickly), the Lincoln Park Zoo (free),and the John Hancock Observatory....QUOTE]

:ditto:

While I haven't been to the children's museam ( I was 14 when my family came out here, so I was too old for it) the other museams and aquarium/oceanarium are absolutely amazing! Not to mention that you can go to the top of the tallest building in the US, take a stroll on the beach or see a broadway show (I highly recommend Wicked if your DD's are older).

There is so much for families to do here, you won't be disappointed! Especially if you come once the weather gets warmer and the tour boats are out on the lake again!