PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness from NY Questions

DisneyDreamerz
03-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Ok...here it goes...lots of questions:
1) Anyone ever traveled to the Fort from Rochester, NY area. If so, what route do you take?

2) How many days do you take to get there? Where do you stay overnight...Walmart, Flying-J, a campground?

3) Do you know of any easy access diesel stations along the route...we will be towing a 35 foot fifth wheel with a 2500HD diesel 4 door silverado.

4) Do you know what happens if we arrive too early the day of our planned reservation, or late the night before? Is there a place to park and wait overnight or until our site is ready?

5) Anyone ever stayed in loop 300, and if so what site #, and if making a request, how specific can your request be? Like can I request loop #300, near playground, bus stop, and backing to stream? I guess you can not request a specific sight though, right?

thank you for your help!
Wendy

ibrowse17
03-11-2007, 11:16 AM
While we are from Alabama, there were plenty of people from New York staying at FW on our last trip. You can request a certain loop, but they shy away from specific site requests. In saying that, you can request near the playground and all that. Have a great trip.

AndrewJackson
03-11-2007, 11:20 AM
First off, welcome to Intercot! :hi:

I cannot answer your first three, so I will start with #4. :)

4) Do you know what happens if we arrive too early the day of our planned reservation, or late the night before? Is there a place to park and wait overnight or until our site is ready?

If you arrive too early, you will be able to park in the parking lot. You can then take a bus into the campground and enjoy. They will give you a number to call from the house phone to find out when you site is ready.

5) Anyone ever stayed in loop 300, and if so what site #, and if making a request, how specific can your request be? Like can I request loop #300, near playground, bus stop, and backing to stream? I guess you can not request a specific sight though, right?

You can request anything you want, there is just no guarantee you will get it. If you know your site number, you can always call the front desk 1-2 weeks before arrival. They will try and do everything they can to get you want you want.

Have a great trip!

disneyjohn
03-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi,

From Syracuse we take:

Route 81 to Winchester Va then take
Route 66 east to route 17 south (exit 28) then
Route 17 south to I95 in Fredericksburg, Va.
I95 to I4 in Daytona beach
I4 west to exit 65 (Disney exits)

That is the route that AAA sends you.

We usually start around 5 or 6 am and we stop for the night at the Swamp Fox campground near Florence SC. That is a long drive (about 12 or 13 hours) but the 2nd day is only about 7 or 8 hours.
If you leave early enough on the 2nd day, you will arrive in Disney by lunchtime.

If you follow this routine, most of your driving will be during the daylight hours and you won't have to worry about getting there too early.

mickey98
03-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I can answer numbers 1-3...

1 we live in N.J. we take interstate 95 south.. probably for you you would take the turnpike south which is actually 95 south..
2 We start out on the first day leaving at 4:00 p.m. we drive until approx 12:00 midnight.. we grab a wallmart parking lot until 6:00 a,m, and drive thru to the fort,, arriving approx 3:00 p.m...
3. Get a guide called " The Next Exit. edition 15.. This guide will let you know what is off each exit along all the major interstates.. We use it on each travel to the Fort.. It also shows each Wal-Mart at each exit... Hope this helps.. Also Remenber 300 loop is a pet loop !!!

RocklandRVers
03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
We live just north of NYC. We visit FtW once or twice a year. We have driven down the I-81 route through VA. It was nicer scenery less traffic but more hills and much longer. Most of the time we take I-95 to I-4 in Daytona. We do bypass Richmond using I-295 nearly every trip.

Depending on traffic it takes us 18-22 hours. I do all the driving in our motorhome so I want to get going early (5:00 am the latest) to get past NYC and travel the longest leg on day one. My goal is always to get to down past Savannah, GA the first day. That leaves me around 6 hours to Disney which on a Saturday morning with no traffic goes by even faster.

I used to do campgrounds overnite but found it to be a total waste. For example, one summer we had reservations at a KOA in Savannah. We pulled in around 10 pm. The office was closed. We hooked up the shore power had a quick bite a went to sleep. Next morning we unhooked and hit the road by 5:00 am. Didn't use the campground for anything but the little bit of electricity...no showers, bathroom, pool, etc. Still I paid $30+ to park. Now we stay in a Flying J, TA or Pilot truckstop. It costs me a fill up and maybe morning coffee.

We have a gas engine so can't help with Diesel but I can say that Flying Js are spaced just about a tankful apart for us in our gas V-8.

I have arrived as early as 10:00 am at FtW and was able to go to my site. Other times I have had to wait. We park and nap usually then call and go set up.

Mariašoš
03-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi,

From Syracuse we take:

Route 81 to Winchester Va then take
Route 66 east to route 17 south (exit 28) then
Route 17 south to I95 in Fredericksburg, Va.
I95 to I4 in Daytona beach
I4 west to exit 65 (Disney exits)

That is the route that AAA sends you.

We usually start around 5 or 6 am and we stop for the night at the Swamp Fox campground near Florence SC. That is a long drive (about 12 or 13 hours) but the 2nd day is only about 7 or 8 hours.
If you leave early enough on the 2nd day, you will arrive in Disney by lunchtime.

If you follow this routine, most of your driving will be during the daylight hours and you won't have to worry about getting there too early.

When you come through Winchester pick me up please?! LOL Actually, we have family that lives in Rochester. It's about 6 1/2 hours to Winchester by going straight down I-81. Once you hit Winchester you can either keep going down 81 hit I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to I-4 which would take approximately 14 hours from Winchester. It'll take about the same amount of time if you take I-81 to 50 east to 17 south to 66 east back onto 17 to 95 to I-4, but definitely watch the times you hit 66 and 95 areas to avoid the rush hour traffic with DC and then Richmond. You can also take I-81 down to 66 East to 17 to 95instead of hitting 50 and 17 then 66 and again onto 17 and then95.

Have I confused you yet? Didn't mean to if I did.

We have a Walmart here in our area that campers are always parked. Skyline Drive is close by and a great place to stop and camp!

Mariašoš
03-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Or you could take I-81 down to 64 East and then 95. ;)

Flower
04-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi,

We do not tow a trailer, but we drive down about 2 times a year from the Toronto area.

We take the 90, 79, 19 or the Beckley by-pass, 77, 26, 95, I-4.