PDA

View Full Version : The Princess and the Frog (Opens December 11, 2009)

AndrewJackson
03-10-2007, 07:58 AM
From AP:

New Orleans the Site of New Disney Film
Thursday March 8 4:59 PM ET

The Walt Disney Co. has started production on an animated musical fairy tale called "The Frog Princess," which will be set in New Orleans and feature the Walt Disney Studio's first black princess.

The company unveiled the plans Thursday at its annual shareholders' meeting in New Orleans.

John Lasseter, chief creative officer for Disney and the Disney-owned unit Pixar Animation Studios, said the movie would return to the classic hand-drawn animation process, instead of using computer animation that has become the industry standard. He called the film "an American fairy tale."

"The film's New Orleans setting and strong princess character give the film lots of excitement and texture," Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook said.

The movie will be scored by Randy Newman, who also wrote the music for Disney's "Toy Story," "A Bug's Life" "Toy Story 2," "Monsters, Inc." and "Cars."

Newman performed a song from the score for the shareholders.

John Musker and Ron Clements, who co-directed "The Little Mermaid" "Aladdin," and "Hercules" will co-direct the movie. The pair also wrote the story for the film.

Disney said its new animated princess Maddy will be added to its collection of animated princesses used at the company's theme parks and on consumer products.

The film is set for release in 2009.

robyn221
03-10-2007, 10:56 AM
:mickey: Cool!

It's well past time for Disney to introduce a black princess and I, for one, couldn't be more pleased that they will use New Orleans as the back drop for that story. New Orleans is a big part of both DL and WDW, it was only a matter of time before it got its own movie (Devil's Bayou in The Rescuers doesn't count).

Robyn

WDWFanatic
03-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Two :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Disney. I hope it turns out to be a great movie!

5 Mousekteers
03-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Here is another article with some additional information on the new Disney annimation movie.:mickey:

Disney Goes Back to the Drawing Board

by Natalie Finn
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:10:14 PM PST
var globalDir = "/";

As it steps into the future, Disney is borrowing a page from its past.
The house that the mouse built will be returning to its hand-drawn roots with The Frog Princess, slated to hit theaters in 2009, Walt Disney Co. announced Thursday.
Set in New Orleans' French Quarter, the feature-length musical will follow in the tradition of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio in that its creators will rely solely on drawings rather than on the computer-generated imagery that has become the industry standard.
Taking a cue from its more modern predecessors, however, The Frog Princess will feature songs by 17-time Oscar nominee Randy Newman, who most recently was up for Best Original Song for "Our Town," from the CGI-fueled hit Cars. The singer-songwriter won the Oscar in 2002 for "If I Didn't Have You" from Monsters Inc.
"We're really proud and excited about this," John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Disney and Pixar, said at the company's annual shareholders meeting. Disney snatched up Pixar Animation Studios in January 2006 for $7.4 billion in an all-stock transaction, although the Bay Area-based Pixar still operates as a separate unit.
"Like many of Disney's most popular fairytales, it has elements of magic, fantasy, adventure, heart, humor and music," Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook said. "The film's New Orleans setting and strong princess character give the film lots of excitement and texture."
The story, which will feature the usual whimsical Disney touches, such as a "soulful singing alligator" and voodoo magic, was created by John Musker and Ron Clements, the minds behind The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, and will be produced by Disney animation veteran Peter Del Vecho.
The fairytale's heroine, Maddy, will also be the first African-American princess in the Disney cartoon canon. Meaning, not only is Disney making a significant step in reflecting the diversity of its audience, but Maddy will soon be joining Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Mulan and the others on a lunchbox or t-shirt near you, as well.
Whether Disney's return to the drawing board is the start of a trend remains to be seen. Lasseter said nothing Thursday about the studio planning a lineup of hand-drawn projects, but if the nostalgia factor runs high in 2009, you can bet other animation houses will want in on the old-school action.
Audiences will still be able to get their CGI fix many times over before the 2-D Frog Princess meets her prince, of course. Disney's Meet the Robinsons, is due out Mar. 30, DreamWorks Animation's Shrek The Third lumbers into theaters May 18 and Bee Movie is on tap for Nov. 2, Pixar's Ratatouille is slated for June 28…and that's just an incomplete list from this year.
Disney's return to hand-drawn animation is also going to require that the company hire more artists who can wield a pencil and ink as easily as the current crop can navigate a Mac.

asrai555
03-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I am soo excited for this. Its wonderful and long past due!

DizneyFreak2002
03-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Hopefully this turns out to be a great film... Looking forward to it....

JPL
03-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Let's hope the story is up to standards so traditional hand drawn animation doesn't take another hit with a poor performance at the box office.

Niecyboo
03-12-2007, 08:56 AM
The description sounds like win-win, I hope it's as good as it sounds, because I'm getting excited to see it just from this description.

Patricia
03-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I've been looking forward to the return of Disney's classic Broadway musical style. :thumbsup:

From the Manhattan Theatre Source, I have a list of Characters that were auditioned for back in November. Front runners for the title role, Maddy, include Oscar-nominee Jennifer Hudson and her Dreamgirls costar and Tony Award winner Anika Noni Rose. Alicia Keys is also after that role and has been reported to have called Disney's studio chief Dick Cook after the auditions.

"The Frog Princess" is an animated American fairy tale musical, set in New Orleans, in the 1920's Jazz Age. SINGING ROLES:
[MADDY] A 19-year-old African American chambermaid. Bright, resourceful, ambitious, intense. A little too grown-up for her age. Dialect: Mild southern colloquial.
[CHARLOTTE] 18 years old. A spoiled, southern debutante. A diva. Comic "steel magnolia". Bossy but insecure. Dialect: Southern belle.
[DR. DUVALIER] A 30-40 year old Voodoo magician/fortune teller. African American. Charming, charismatic, smooth and a sinister bad guy. Theatrical and grandiose. Dialect: Elegant, possibly New Orleans Creole.
[MAMA ODIE] An elderly, 200 year old Voodoo priestess/fairy god-mother. African American. Broad, comic, eccentric. Benevolent, wise and all knowing. A mixture of Moms Mabley & Yoda. Dialect: Southern colloquial.
[RAY] A 25-35 year old lovesick Cajun firefly. Warm, friendly, laid back and easygoing. Comically obtuse. Missing front tooth, has a lisp and occasionally speaks in Cajun French. LOOKING FOR AUTHENTIC CAJUN ACTORS.
[LOUIS] A 20-40 year old Jazz singer alligator. Comic, manic, high strung. Can be African American or white. Has extraordinary jazz singing voice since he, in effect, "sold his soul" to get it. Dialect: New Orleans hipster.
NON-SINGING ROLES:
[PRINCE HARRY] A gregarious, fun-loving European Prince, in his early twenties. A young Cary Grant. Charming, witty but irresponsible and immature. Loves jazz. Dialect: British upper-class.
[LAWRENCE] Harry's pompous roly poly valet. In his forties. Stiff, snobbish and sarcastic. Secretly envious and resentful of Harry. Dialect: Overly affected British upper crust.
[BIG DADDY LA BOUFF] Wealthy, Southern plantation landowner. Doting father of Charlotte La Bouff. A "good ol' boy." Warm, affable, courtly, imposing and powerful. Dialect: Thick southern drawl.
[EUDORA] Maddy's mother. In her fifties. Eudora used to be Charlotte's nurse maid. Warm, homespun and nurturing. Overly fretful.
[GEORGE] The cook for the La Bouff family. African American 50s-60s. Curmudgeonly.
[YOUNG MADDY] Six years old, African American.
[YOUNG CHARLOTTE] Six years old.

Patricia
03-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Disney has released this photo of Maddy.

JPL
03-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the picture Patricia :thumbsup:

Jasper
03-12-2007, 02:30 PM
When I first read the line about a princess in New Orleans I thought how in the world does a princess fit in ANY American city? But, after reading the character descriptions it begins to makes sense and hopefully will be as good as the premise makes it sound!

I do have to say though that I am probably the only person on the planet who is NOT a Jennifer Hudson fan. Don't ask me to define it, but there is just something about her that doesn't work for me.

Figment!
03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
See also the posting for this article on WebDisney (http://www.webdisney.com/). We have another released sketch from the movie there. :artist:

honeybear
03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Disney first: black princess in animated film
‘The Frog Princess’ will be set in New Orleans, scored by Randy Newman

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 12:20 p.m. ET March 12, 2007
NEW ORLEANS - The Walt Disney Co. has started production on an animated musical fairy tale called “The Frog Princess,” which will be set in New Orleans and feature the Walt Disney Studio’s first black princess.

The film, set for release in 2009, also is the first hand-drawn film Disney has committed to since pledging last month to return to the traditional animation that made it a worldwide brand.

“The Frog Princess,” a musical scored by composer Randy Newman, is “an American fairy tale” starring a girl named Maddy who lives in the French Quarter in New Orleans, said John Lasseter, chief creative director for Disney and Pixar Animation Studios.

Disney did not provide details of the plot, but the company showed shareholders preliminary drawings from the movie. Newman and a jazz band played a song from the movie’s score.

Maddy joins eight other Disney princess characters, who have generated $3 billion in global retail sales since 1999. Disney Princesses is the fastest-growing brand for the company’s Consumer Products division.

Disney introduced its first non-white animated heroine in 1992's “Aladdin”: a Middle Eastern character named Jasmine. Three years later an American Indian princess appeared in “Pocahontas.”

The creation of the Chinese heroine from “Mulan” came in 1998. Other Disney princesses are the main characters from “Cinderella,” “Sleeping Beauty,” “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Little Mermaid.”

Disney aggregated the eight characters in 1999 under the banner Disney Princesses and has rolled out toys, books, clothing, furniture and other merchandise aimed at girls ages 3 to 8.

Disney chief executive Robert Iger said the company wanted to show its support for New Orleans, only partially rebuilt 18 months after it was flooded by Hurricane Katrina, by holding its annual meeting and setting its newest animated film in the city.

“The film’s New Orleans setting and strong princess character give the film lots of excitement and texture,” Walt Disney Studios chairman Dick Cook said.

John Musker and Ron Clements, who co-directed “The Little Mermaid,” “Aladdin” and “Hercules” will co-direct the movie. The pair also wrote the story for the film.

jmmc
03-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Sounds a little different than their usual movies, which is a good thing. I wonder how long it'll take before some of this movie invades Port Orleans? :)

Now, I don't wanna cause trouble here, but, I just want to add a possible premonition here. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but does anyone see the potential for someone to complain about this movie and find something in it offensive? Disney's first animated movie starring African-American characters, and the heroine is a maid, and it features voodoo practicers? And then there's the rich white employers.

I dunno, I'm just seeing some sort of race issue coming out here, at least from the most easily offended people out there. Hmm....

Patricia
03-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Looking at the casting, I'm still not sure how the whole Frog Princess story crosses over from the traditional FairyTale manuscript of Frog Prince. We should have a Princess being turned into a frog somewhere. A traditional happy ending is emanant.

Voodoo is like jazz or Mardi Gras in New Orleans. You couldn't have that setting without the diverse culture they are famous for.

Belle619
03-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Hooray for Disney for:
1. Supporting diversity
2. Going back to hand drawn animation
3. Honoring the beautiful city of New Orleans

:clappy:

NotaGeek
03-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Here's a pic I found that looks a bit more magic princess:

Super excited for this movie!

Melanie
03-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Here's a pic I found that looks a bit more magic princess:When I saw the one Michael posted, I immediately thought of the Muses from Hercules.

But the one posted earlier in the thread doesn't.

:shrug:

NotaGeek
03-15-2007, 11:39 PM
When I saw the one Michael posted, I immediately thought of the Muses from Hercules.

But the one posted earlier in the thread doesn't.

:shrug:

That's what I thought Mel! Weird. Even stranger they would have Randy Newman do the music since his voice is SO Pixar!

Melanie
03-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Well, I guess since Ron Clements and John Musker are responsible for both Hercules and The Frog Princess, it's not such a stretch.

Yeah, Randy Newman is an odd choice. I like him, but like you said Michael, he's so associated with Pixar. But everyone is one now, and everyone loves each other. ;)

Seriously though, where's Alan Menken? I know, he's working on Enchanted. If only Howard Ashman were still with us. :(

disneygecko
03-16-2007, 09:30 PM
I am really excited for this movie to come out. It seems interesting from the description so far and I am so glad Disney is going back to traditional hand-drawn animation.

glenpreece
03-16-2007, 11:21 PM
I am really excied about this movie and I really hope that Maddy turns out to be a successful Princess.

PirateLover
03-17-2007, 09:33 AM
When I first heard that this movie would star an African American princess in N.O. I got excited. Then when I read on here that it would be set in the 1920s jazz age I got SUPER excited!!!!!! That is one of my favorite eras in American History. I love the music, the styles, etc. Although, I'm not too familiar with Randy Newman outside of Pixar so I don't know how good he is writing in that style (if they even plan to have the music in that style). I'm hoping for a home run. Don't let me down Disney!:mickey:

imaprincess!
04-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Does anyone have details on a new Disney princess movie? The setting is in New Orleans and is supposed to feature the first African-American princess. She is a frog princess.

:kermit: :princess:

Melanie
04-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Here is a recent discussion from the News forum.

New Orleans the site of new Disney film (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=98744&highlight=frog+princess)

imaprincess!
04-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Two comments:

1. I agree -- the second picture posted seems much more princess-y. I saw the first picture and wondered why they drew her to look like a Gladiator.

2. I have already heard comments to the effect of "Why, when Disney finally creates a black princess do they make her a frog princess?"

GiltterDisneyGirl
04-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I hope this movie is a good one. :cool:

Aurora
04-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Randy Newman is a ragtime GENIUS which fits into the New Orleans jazz theme. Take a listen to his "Ragtime" soundtrack (1981).

I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie (I love the first posted "photo"), but the cynic in me smells commercial all over this one.

New Orleans setting = Movie tie to New Orleans Square, Disneyland
African-American princess = Target-audience marketing opportunity
Voodoo characters = Mining popularity of voodoo lady in Pirates movies (yes, I know it's New Orleans bayou)

Not that this is necessarily all bad. I just see $$$ signs.

I also hope they resist the temptation for broad caricatures.

Melanie
05-24-2007, 09:10 AM
A name change and a star!

Actress Rose kisses "Frog" for Disney

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Anika Noni Rose, who sang with Beyonce Knowles and Jennifer Hudson in "Dreamgirls." will provide the voice for Princess Tiana in the Walt Disney Co.'s musical animated feature "The Princess and the Frog," slated for a holiday 2009 release.

Walt Disney Animation Studios will produce the New Orleans-set fairy tale, which will introduce the newest Disney princess, Tiana, a girl living in the fabled French Quarter.

The film, previously titled "The Frog Princess," is based on an original story written by Disney filmmaking duo John Musker and Ron Clements, who also will direct. Randy Newman will write songs and the score for "Frog."

Rose next will been seen in USA Network's miniseries "The Starter Wife."

handmaidenofprincesses
08-01-2007, 07:49 PM
The manager at a local Disney store told me and my friend that Disney was coming out with a new hand animated movie that will introduce a new black princess (sorry if thats not the politically correct term, but i don't want to call her "African American", because she's not necessarily either!) Anyways, has anyone else heard anything about this?

Chipfan
08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I believe thats Tiana (i think thats her name) from the new movie the Princess and the Frog coming out in 2009. She will be an African American princess from New Orleans...atleast thats my understanding or the movie

NotaGeek
08-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Here's a link to the dicussion that was posted previously! I am hopeful for this one!

New Orleans the Site of New Disney Film (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=98744&highlight=frog+princess)

snifflesmcg
08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I think that's great.

Melanie
08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
You beat me to the punch, Mr. Michael! ;)

I am hopeful for this one too. Looks good, looks real good. :frog:

Park Hopper
08-02-2007, 01:46 PM
This sounds exciting! I have always wondered why Disney went away from the successful Princess model.

The only thing that concerns me is that given this list of characters, I hope that they do not go overboard, trying to make too much of a political statement (contrasting the African American Princess 'Maddy' character to the White 'Charlotte' character).

I kind of think Pocahontas suffered from this type of overly simplistic political correctness.

Please do not flame me for saying this. I think this is a great opportunity and great that they are diversifying. And, it looks to me like the main villain may be another African American, which would be great. I just think that Disney should stay away from race issues and the such in their animated features. Hopefully, everyone will understand what I am trying to say without thinking that I am some reactionary.

NotaGeek
08-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Hmmm. I think it might be best to NOT let this discussion turn into a race issue, because it's not JUST about African Americans. I think the fact that Disney is having it's first African American Princess is great, and it definitly lets an entire population of the world's little princesses identify with someone that might have their same skin color, as did Pocohontas, Aladdin, and Mulan.

Political correctness is necessary in 2007. There is nothing wrong with using simplistic measures to include people that might be otherwise left out of the Disney Magic. I have a 6 year old god daughter that happens to be African American and told Jasmine "you are my favorite princess because we are almost the same color" and it really made me think, she's 6 and realized that there isn't anyone for HER to identify with as a princess ... so yes, diversity does matter to her.

I have a feeling this movie is going to be very good and very popular for many reasons, especially it's diversity.

LibertyTreeGal
08-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Well, we were at DL a few weeks back and they have this FABULOUS lady called Miss Queenie who sings Jazz at New Orleans Square. I did not know this -- I told my boys that this was obviously the new Disney princess (since she was AA and dressed very fancy) even though I knew the movie isn't due out for a few years. Well, they went right up and kissed her hands and she nearly swooned with delight. I told her that they do that to all princesses. She blushed.

(edited Off Topic)

NotaGeek
08-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Let's NOT let this thread turn into a discussion about what to call whom. This thread is about the new Princess, who happens to be African American, any discussions other than this are BOUND to stir up emotions that aren't necessary in the Movie forum.

Please ... let's keep discussion only about the new Movie and the princess and how she might change the "face" of the Disney Princesses, or just general chat about the excitement of the new film.

Park Hopper
08-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Hmmm. I think it might be best to NOT let this discussion turn into a race issue, because it's not JUST about African Americans. I think the fact that Disney is having it's first African American Princess is great, and it definitly lets an entire population of the world's little princesses identify with someone that might have their same skin color, as did Pocohontas, Aladdin, and Mulan.

Political correctness is necessary in 2007. There is nothing wrong with using simplistic measures to include people that might be otherwise left out of the Disney Magic. I have a 6 year old god daughter that happens to be African American and told Jasmine "you are my favorite princess because we are almost the same color" and it really made me think, she's 6 and realized that there isn't anyone for HER to identify with as a princess ... so yes, diversity does matter to her.

I have a feeling this movie is going to be very good and very popular for many reasons, especially it's diversity.

You obviously missed my point. Let me say it again. I think that it is great that they are diversifying and it is my greatest hope, like you, that this will not turn into a race issue. That is all I am saying. I think Disney should be careful not to turn this into a race issue.

Where I disagree is that overly simplistic political correctness is not necessarily a great thing. When you over simplify complicated issues, you make things confusing, especially to a child. It is my hope that they will stick to entertainment and the traditional good verse evil message and not try to bring race into it.

The fact that they are adding an African American Princess is needed and exciting, but I think they need to be careful about the main conflict in this movie. If they try to make the movie into a political documentary, I think they will ruin their opportunity to diversify. Pocahontas, in my opinion went too far with the (Native Americans good, European Settlers Bad) theme. This is part of the reason that it was not that successful. I think many kids had a hard time with the conflict in this movie. Many Native American communities also did not like how it was done.

So, in short:

Diversity, Disney, Animated Features = Good

Heavy, Overly Simplistic, Political Message in a kids animated feature = not so good.

NotaGeek
08-03-2007, 01:17 PM
You obviously missed my point. Let me say it again. I think that it is great that they are diversifying and it is my greatest hope, like you, that this will not turn into a race issue. That is all I am saying. I think Disney should be careful not to turn this into a race issue.

Where I disagree is that overly simplistic political correctness is not necessarily a great thing. When you over simplify complicated issues, you make things confusing, especially to a child. It is my hope that they will stick to entertainment and the traditional good verse evil message and not try to bring race into it.

The fact that they are adding an African American Princess is needed and exciting, but I think they need to be careful about the main conflict in this movie. If they try to make the movie into a political documentary, I think they will ruin their opportunity to diversify. Pocahontas, in my opinion went too far with the (Native Americans good, European Settlers Bad) theme. This is part of the reason that it was not that successful. I think many kids had a hard time with the conflict in this movie. Many Native American communities also did not like how it was done.

So, in short:

Diversity, Disney, Animated Features = Good

Heavy, Overly Simplistic, Political Message in a kids animated feature = not so good.

I understand your point perfectly, I just don't agree.

wire0monkey
08-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Please excuse me if this was posted before.

Disney released a teaser trailer for "The Princess and the Frog" on July 30. You can see it here:

(link deleted due to TOS)

I really like it. She's beautiful and clever.

dmosher
08-01-2008, 06:37 PM
That was very cute, could be a very fun film, guess we will have to wait and see.
:pipes:
D

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Okay, that looks like it will be pretty good. I'm totally excited now!!

DisneyWhirled
08-01-2008, 11:28 PM
I can't wait to see this! I remember discussion about this movie a while ago...so glad to see it will be out in 2009...anyone know when?

dmosher
08-03-2008, 03:46 AM
The official release date is 25 December 2009 (USA). Of course these dates can always change, but so far that's the one.
:pipes:
D

NotaGeek
08-03-2008, 12:01 PM
To check out the trailer you can go to Disney's Official site for The Princess and the Frog (http://www.disney.go.com/disneypictures/princessandthefrog/).

DizneyFreak2002
08-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Looks good... I can't wait for this...

RedSoxFan
08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
This movie looks awesome. Can't wait to see it.

Melanie
08-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Some newly released artwork...

Melanie
08-12-2008, 01:35 AM
And more.....

Melanie
08-12-2008, 01:37 AM
I love the look of this, and the whole idea of going back to the classic animation. Very excited to see it!

Kennywife
12-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Look what's coming in Dec. 2009.....

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/princessandthefrog/

The first Disney African American princess! :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
12-16-2008, 11:50 AM
oh That is soooo cute!!!!!!!!!! :mickey: Cant wait! :thumbsup:

wire0monkey
03-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Quint at Ain't It Cool News had the opportunity to see some rough art and some animation from the upcoming "The Princess and the Frog." He saw it at a presentation given by a lead Disney animator at Wondercon.

It's mildly spoilery.

LauraleeH
03-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I love the fact that Disney is doing the classic animation again! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

NotaGeek
03-15-2009, 03:08 PM
I love the fact that Disney is doing the classic animation again! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I think it's going to be interesting to see how today's kids market responds to anything other than Pixar ... it's been a long time since we've had a classic animation film ... although kids watch the best of movies on DVD it's totally different seeing them on the big screen. I am looking forward to this film a lot!

AdventurerKim
03-16-2009, 03:22 PM
I am looking forward to this film and hope that there is a special premiere/sneak preview here (N.O.) like there was for Hunchback before it was released nationally. That was such a fun experience! :mickey: There was a story about the movie in our newspaper a few days ago but no mention of a special showing here yet.

NotaGeek
04-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I just realized that Disney has a new release date of December 12. Still no new trailer yet ... which is a bit worrisome. I hope this movie is good ... it's so strange to see the old animation style. I am really excited for this film!

NotaGeek
05-31-2009, 02:07 AM
WOW. They showed a great trailer during Up ... the animation looks really good and I think that this film is going to absolutely be a hit!

ASweetLov
05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
I saw the trailer for The Princess and The Frog and looks absolutely amazing! I will be seeing this with my sister when it comes out!We saw Brother Bear in traters, the only Disney animated film we ever went out to see and then we were dissapointed to hear it was the last of its kind. I am really happy they decided to make another animated Disney film!

ASweetLov
05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
*theaters*!!!! I need to start reading my posts before posting lol

eam
06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Saw the trailer at "UP" - won't go see the movie.

Disney Doll
06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
It looks great to me! I like the old style animation and it looks like a fun story. Can't wait!

Melanie
09-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Great opportunity for those in/around LA or New York City for an advance screening of The Princess & the Frog, followed by The Ultimate Disney Experience. This sounds really cool!!!

Check out all the details here (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/princessfrogtickets/email/)

J9
11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Well, it actually opens earlier than that if you're in NYC or LA, but I'm not (darn!)

Is anyone else getting REALLY excited for this? I have not anticipated a movie this much in I don't know how long! I've been reading up on it as much as I can and looking at stills and clips. I really think this will be the return to the Belle, Aladdin, Jasmine, Ariel era that we've been looking for!

I'm also in love with "Never Knew I Needed" which is the first single released off the soundtrack. I have no idea who Ne-Yo is, but he does a wonderful job with this song. (In fact, if I ever have a wedding, this will be the song for the first dance...at least this week.) Look up the video (the one with the movie clips) on YouTube. It's really powerful and I imagine it would fit in well with the themes of the movie.

Less than 1 month left! :-)

mjaclyn
12-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey everyone!
DH and I just took our DD 3 to see this movie today and unfortunately I have to say that I was really disappointed. We've been looking forward to this movie since Disney started promoting it way back when. I'm also a HUGE fan of hand drawn animation and I was SO excited that Disney has finally gotten back to it. What didn't I like? Well, let's start with what I DID like about the movie:

:spoiler:

1. The story started out to be SO cute. I think it could have been a really, really good movie if they had only left out a few things.

2. LOVED the animation. I really hope Disney starts doing more of the hand drawn feature films.

3. The music - The songs were really good and DD and I really enjoyed the jazz music.

Now on to what I didn't like:
1. I really didn't like that most of the movie took place in a swamp.

2. HATED the voodoo witchcraft stuff. My 3 year old kept asking if we could go home and said at least three times that she was scared. Since the scarier scenes happened towards the end of the movie we decided to stay, but if I had known ahead of time I honestly wouldn't have seen it.

3. Did the lightning bug really have to die? A friend of mine who I am constantly defending Disney to always says that 'someone HAS to croak at the end of every Disney movie' (she doesn't like her son to watch them because of that). I cringed when the bug died because I could hear her saying that in my head. Couldn't he have just been okay in the end? Did it really add that much to the story?

4. Before going to see this movie I knew ahead of time that Tiana turns into a frog, but for some reason alot of the movie seemed 'Shrek-ish' to me. Her turning into a frog and then both of them finding out that they're better off as frogs...the only thing that saved it for me is that they turn human again in the end.

Anyway, there were parts of the movie I liked. The story was good (minus the parts I mentioned), but I was ultimately disappointed. I hope others had a better time of it than we did.

J9
12-12-2009, 12:24 AM
So - who saw this tonight? I saw a very late showing and the theatre wasn't packed, but I heard that it sold well this afternoon.

I for one LOVED IT! Sometimes the story moved a bit fast, but I can definitely see it being a true Disney classic in the vein of TLM, BatB, and Aladdin!

(Plus Prince Naveen is HOT! Seriously, we're talking Dimitri-level hot here!)

mjaclyn
12-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I just wanted to add that I really loved the concept of a girl who works really hard to get what she wants in life be the new princess. Although I love the other Disney princesses it was nice to have one that wasn't so completely 'girly'. The movie also had some really great funny moments.

alicefan76
12-12-2009, 12:55 AM
I LOVED the movie too and will go see it again while its in the theater :D I hope everyone will go see it to encourage them to make more movies like this one.

As much as I enjoy the computer animated movies, you just can't get the same style and richness that hand drawn animation has. The backgrounds of the city of New Orleans were beautifully done. Right up there with the artwork on previous Disney Classics like BatB.

The story was pretty good. Probably not quite as complex as some others, but I loved the character of Tiana and the alligator and firefly were really cute sidekick characters. I thought all of the voiceovers were done well and were very entertaining.

I'm a big fan of Anika Noni Rose from "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" and it was fun to see her do something completely different with this character.

I didn't think they went overboard with the evil characters. Voodoo is part of the culture and I thought they did a good job of adding some humor in with Mama Odie. I don't have young children, but it seemed that these character would be along the same lines and maybe a little less scary than some like Maleficent or Jafar.

I enjoyed the music and thought it added a lot to the movie. I'll be buying the soundtrack this weekend. Did anyone else catch the name on the drum at the end - "Firefly Five plus Two"? I think this was a reference to the Firehouse Five plus Two started by Ward Kimball in the 40's or 50's?

I give this movie 2 thumbs up! Maybe not quite as good at BatB (one of my personal favorites) but pretty close.

2Epcot
12-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I enjoyed the movie and was happy to see this style of animation return. I thought most of the songs were good and loved the singing. Since the movie does take place in New Orleans, and New Orleans is surrounded by swamps that part didn't bother me at all. I did think some of the voodoo scenes might be a little intense for young kids. My son is too young to see the film, but probably wouldn't let him see it for a while. Overall, a great film. I hope we get more hand drawn animation in the theaters.

ShanPooh
12-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I enjoyed the music and thought it added a lot to the movie. I'll be buying the soundtrack this weekend. Did anyone else catch the name on the drum at the end - "Firefly Five plus Two"? I think this was a reference to the Firehouse Five plus Two started by Ward Kimball in the 40's or 50's?

Good call!

:offtopic:
Also, Frank Thomas, another of Disney's Nine Old Men, played piano for Firehouse Five Plus Two.
Anyone who enjoys Dixieland Jazz should check them out! I don't believe any of their albums, er, CDs are still in print. But we still have five of their CDs in our library system.

Back on topic.
We are going to see the Princess and the Frog either today or tomorrow. So excited!!! :mickey:

Ms. Mode
12-14-2009, 10:35 AM
We loved it too :thumbsup:

Seems like Disney is mixing up the "princess" stories a little lately...first Enchanted now Princess and the Frog...different, yet the same!

Mickey'sGirl
12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Princess Tiana rocks! She's smart, strong, disciplined, dedicated, beautiful and independent. Just a fabulous role model for all children!

Took DS5, DN15, my sister and my Dad to see this yesterday, and we all really enjoyed it. The Bayou scenes were breathtaking, and the Voodoo scenes were fantastic (DS loved the Voodoo stuff)... and the Evangaline story line was absolutely lovely. Randy Newman was the perfect "Ragtime" choice. Just fantastic. :thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
12-31-2009, 05:46 PM
My wife and daughter and I went to see this last night and really enjoyed it. This has classic Disney tale written all over it. Princess Tiana is destined to join the likes of the other Disney princesses. Well done for Disney and the team that put this together.

Kathy Jetson
12-31-2009, 11:20 PM
Took ds6 to see this we both loved it. I hope to meet the alligator when we go.

MushuGrl
01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
How AWESOME was that soundtrack?

For the first time in a LONG time I've seen a movie I want to go see again! Ray now ranks right up there with Mushu as my favorite character...and I've had to shun my first villian. BAD SHADOWMAN! BAD!

Got kinda teary-eyed, as we saw it the day Roy Disney died. I thought the "two stars in the sky" was very symbolic.

And Tiana...wow. What an awesome edition to the Princess League! A very strong roll model for little princesses and life-enhanced ones as well!

brownie
01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
We finally saw The Princess and the Frog this past weekend. It was good but not epic. I thought they did a great job with the animation. There were some neat effects in the movie.

Melanie
01-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Finally saw this today!

"What, you from Shreveport?" :funny:

That really struck my son and I as funny for whatever reason.

Overall, a strong movie. Back to the wonderful musicals with the actual character actor singing the songs. I will be purchasing the soundtrack.

Who was Oprah?

NotaGeek
01-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Who was Oprah?
IMDB says she was "Eudora" -- I am going to see this on Tuesday morning ... $5 morning showings at AMC are now everyday! WOO HOO!

Melanie
01-17-2010, 03:14 PM
We go to an AMC too. I think our $5 showings are only on the weekends though.

I saw she was Eudora, but I can't remember who that was. :confused:

NotaGeek
01-17-2010, 05:35 PM
We go to an AMC too. I think our $5 showings are only on the weekends though.

AMC just changed the morning prices for everyday on the 1st ... its a new thingm you should check with your theater! I was very excited ... GOSH I am cheap! :)

I really need to see this movie.

Melanie
01-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I checked. We DO have them every day. :)

NotaGeek
01-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Eudora was Tiana's mother. I really liked her voice, too.

Ok, so I LOVE LOVE LOVED the movie. The hand drawn animation really gives an emotion you don't get from the Pixar films ... it was just truly great -- especially the music! I liked that the characters also did the singing ... and I loved that there was music every 2 scenes. :thumbsup:

As far as the movie being too scary ... I don't think that it was any worse than the Scar scenes from Lion King ... and the use of voodoo is no different than the use of magic, sorcery or curses or whatever. Nothing is changed merely because this magic is though of as a religion by its believers.

Melanie
01-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Glad you saw it Michael! Thanks for solving the Eudora mystery for me.

I also didn't think the scary scenes were more scary than, like you say Lion King, and nothing compared to The Hunchback of Notre Dame. That movie was downright dark, but I loved it.

MegaDisney
01-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I truly enjoyed this film.

The warmth of the hand drawn animation made me miss it terribly, it makes the computer drawn stuff look cold and clinical.

Two :thumbsup: from me!