PDA

View Full Version : Server Fund Drive - Imagineering INTERCOT!

Melanie
02-11-2007, 08:04 AM
INTERCOT Announces Server Drive

As we prepare to enter our second decade online, the time has come to take INTERCOT to the next level. So, we've decided to give you a chance to have a hand in the Imagineering of INTERCOT and the dedication of a new and improved web server! As a bonus... if you can help - we're going to give YOU something back as our way of saying thank you! Can you say Custom Avatars and Imagineering T-shirts?

> More Information (http://www.intercot.com/news/serverdrive/default.asp)

Just another quick note regarding the avatars/contributor titles.

Please understand that this is a manual process. There is not an automatic email that is processed when you contribute. But rest assured, everyone will be contacted and looking spiffy in a timely manner. :thumbsup:

John
03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
INTERCOT Announces Server Drive

What Mel said ;)

offwego
03-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Um what if you were so excited by the chance to sponser that you did it and forgot to say put your user id anywhere on it and instead used your real name?

Will that matter?

John
03-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Um what if you were so excited by the chance to sponser that you did it and forgot to say put your user id anywhere on it and instead used your real name?

Will that matter?

Nope... because you will be contacted with instructions on how to submit your avatar - and you can include your screen name then ;)

offwego
03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Nope... because you will be contacted with instructions on how to submit your avatar - and you can include your screen name then ;)

Oh good...those other people who might have done this will be so relieved. Now if my "friend" just knew anything about Avatar creation or had a creative bone in her entire being she'd um he um whatever would be so happy. None the less I'm sure my "friend" will get it all worked out.

Thanks John!

JMTStone
03-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I'll be babysitting servers all weekend with this DST change. Oy vey. Saving money on electricity, but spending it on I.T.! Good luck on the install. I'll enjoy a new AVATAR!

Piglet822
03-08-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't need the custom avatar but I'm looking forward to that awesome shirt!!!!!! I know, I know. I have to wait until May. :cool:

John
03-08-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't need the custom avatar but I'm looking forward to that awesome shirt!!!!!! I know, I know. I have to wait until May. :cool:

Yep, we plan to ship them all out at once. So after the Server Fund Drive is over, we'll gather up all the orders, manufacture them and ship em out!

DizneyFreak2002
03-08-2007, 06:38 PM
I love the shirt.... Count me in on making a donation.... Sometime this weekend for sure...

GrumpyFan
03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
A few suggestions if I may...

Can you setup Paypal or Google Checkout option for the payment methods?
You should put up a status bar on the serverdrive page showing how the fund drive is going.
Along with the Avatar, you should also add a special title to the person's name. Maybe something like "10th Anniversay Contributor", if that's possible.
Are you sending out an email announcement?

dpamac
03-08-2007, 06:56 PM

You should put up a status bar on the serverdrive page showing how the fund drive is going.
Along with the Avatar, you should also add a special title to the person's name. Maybe something like "10th Anniversay Contributor", if that's possible.

I'll let John answer the other two questions but to two of them:

Payments are already through PayPal.

what kind of announcement are you talking about? This will be explained and featured in the next issue of the Insider.

Jasper
03-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Yep, we plan to ship them all out at once. So after the Server Fund Drive is over, we'll gather up all the orders, manufacture them and ship em out!

Well, I was going to donate 10 million dollars, but if I have to wait until May to get my shirt I guess I will have to adjust my donation amount downwards a little. How does a buck ninety-five sound?:D :D

In all seriousness, I think this is a good business idea of yours John. I haven't made my way over to the other side to actually make my payment but will do so shortly!!

GrumpyFan
03-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Payments are already through PayPal.

what kind of announcement are you talking about? This will be explained and featured in the next issue of the Insider.

Sorry, I guess if I had clicked the icon for the payment option I would've seen that. I (wrongly) assumed since I didn't specifically see the Paypal logo, that you weren't using Paypal, my bad.

On the email announcement, I was thinking something along the lines of a special announcement outside a regular insider newsletter.

dpamac
03-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't generally click on payment buttons unless I plan on paying something either, so don't worry about it.

We might send another email blast out. It's certainly up for discussion now. :)

Crow
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
need $$ to pay taxes and for my May trip, but I just donated. thanks for all the hard work keeping us going:thanks:

Chescat
03-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Question on the Avatar? If you are chosing one from your list already, you are adding our title to it. That again also mean we can't change it to the holidays ones? (I love these holiday ones).

We do have the option then of not taking an avatar? (I still like being able to change my avatar every few months).

Can't wait for the t-shirt when those come out. :D

John, thanks for all the hard work here on this site. And was glad to hear it was time to donate. I love this site. :thumbsup:

AndrewJackson
03-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Keep up the good work, John. :thumbsup:

Count me in!

Carol
03-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Question on the Avatar? If you are chosing one from your list already, you are adding our title to it. That again also mean we can't change it to the holidays ones? Yes. Custom avatars have to be manually added to member profiles by management. Hence, it can only be a one time change. :)

We do have the option then of not taking an avatar? Yes - you have the option of not using a custom avatar.

John
03-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Total as of 8am Friday: $645

divinedi
03-09-2007, 01:49 PM
I would like to donate, and will, just wanted to know if the T-Shirts are available to us Canadians that stalk :blush: this site? I love all the work that you do:number1: and would like to give back, but I admit I would also like a T-shirt:) .

Thanks and keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

John
03-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I would like to donate, and will, just wanted to know if the T-Shirts are available to us Canadians that stalk :blush: this site? I love all the work that you do:number1: and would like to give back, but I admit I would also like a T-shirt:) .

Thanks and keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

Yes, the our brothers and sisters from the great white north are also able to get the shirts. If you want to toss us an extra $5 to cover the shipping, that would be great though not required :)

divinedi
03-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks John for the info! I've been trying to send my donation, but I keep running into a snag with this PenPal site:confused: , I just want to pay with my credit card, but they want my banking information too:mad: !?!?! I am one of those people who aren't very trusting:( , and giving my CC # on line is a VERY big step for me, I don't want to give anybody my banking information, is this the only way I can do this?

Thanks!

Carol
03-09-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm not on my home computer though, that wouldn't make a difference would it? I suggest trying from home.

You do not need a PayPal account in order to process a donation.

If you click the link for users not having a PayPal account it should open up to a page for Credit Card information. Once you fill out your card and address information - you click continue. You then get a review order page. Once you review the order you click the pay now button. That's it. :)

alpro2
03-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Dig the blue stars and contributor title guys! Nice touch. :thumbsup:

AndrewJackson
03-09-2007, 08:31 PM

Same here! I am honored to have them.

John
03-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks from all of us for taking time to Donate! It's the least we could do! :cool:

John
03-09-2007, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions... I think we took them to heart and implemented all of them :D

mttafire
03-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I just did my part...It isnt much but every dollar counts!!:thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
03-10-2007, 08:58 PM
How does Intercot know who is who? I didn't notice anywhere in the contribution screen where my screen name would be entered (just my e-mail)... and my "status" has not changed here. Promise you wont make me feel stupid with a really simple answer, ok? :D

Melanie
03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I just did my part...It isnt much but every dollar counts!!:thumbsup:

Absolutely, and we can't thank you all enough for whatever contribution you are able to make. :notworth: Remember, we will all benefit in the end! :thumbsup:

How does Intercot know who is who? I didn't notice anywhere in the contribution screen where my screen name would be entered (just my e-mail)... and my "status" has not changed here. Promise you wont make me feel stupid with a really simple answer, ok? :D

Jennifer, no need to feel stupid. It's a very legitimate question!

You are correct - there is nowhere on the contribution screen to enter your screen name. Carol has gone through and matched some email addresses with user accounts where she can, thus some folks already have the "contributor" title under their screennames.

For those we can't figure out (some folks are using emails not associated with their INTERCOT accounts), we are asking on the custom avatar letter you will soon be receiving that you are sure to include your screen name when you submit your avatar request. That way, your avatar and contributor title is sure to be loaded to the correct account.

Hope this answers your question. :)

JPL
03-11-2007, 12:15 AM
And I thought the answer would be JohnY sees and knows all ;)

Strmchsr
03-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Hey, I'm in too. Glad to help support my favorite site. I'm not sure that I have an avatar in mind since I've never seen Mickey chasing a tornado, but could I have "Team Intercot Meteorologist" as my title? :D

DizneyFreak2002
03-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I have donated as well.... I am glad I can do my part...

BronxTigger
03-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I know that the custom avatar is a one time thing, but what about the blue contributor stars? How long will those stay up? Also, how much do you have to donate to get the blue stars?

Thanks!

John
03-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I know that the custom avatar is a one time thing, but what about the blue contributor stars? How long will those stay up? Also, how much do you have to donate to get the blue stars?

Much like the Walkway at the Magic Kingdom and the Leave a Legacy - we don't offer a guarantee on how long they will stick around - but they should be there for quite a while.

Donation wise $25. The Stars are just a bonus we decided to throw in as a special thank you.

Caroleh
03-11-2007, 08:36 PM
I got my donation in!!! I need to work on Avatar though...DH suggested a dragonfly, since I love them so much...I wonder if I could figure a way to have Mickey riding a dragonfly!!!!:mickey:

WDWfanatic742
03-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Just got mine in :thumbsup:. Don't know what I would like for an avatar though :confused:

kmo84
03-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm in, too.

Thanks to everyone here who works so hard on this site.

I rely on it and enjoy it so much!

Thanks again!:thumbsup:

BronxTigger
03-11-2007, 11:33 PM
You'll get my donation in the beginning of April.

This month's credit card already has the plane tickets for two trips to WDW on it. Yikes!

LibertyTreeGal
03-12-2007, 06:06 AM
I'm in too -- small price to pay for all you guys do :)

markb
03-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Just got mine in :thumbsup:. Don't know what I would like for an avatar though :confused:

I'm glad it's not just me :blush::silly:

John
03-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Server Drive Total as of 2:10pm - March 12:

$2185.00

BTW, that is Gross - Not Net (after paypal fees - and the cost of the tshirts and mailing) but that is quite a good start. Lets keep things rollin!

:number1:

JPL
03-12-2007, 02:16 PM
A great start can't wait to be on the new server :thumbsup:

Chescat
03-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Question, I ordered the t-shirt option already. Can we go back and add more money in the straight donation part once we did the t-shirt option or will that mess things up? :confused:

John
03-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Question, I ordered the t-shirt option already. Can we go back and add more money in the straight donation part once we did the t-shirt option or will that mess things up? :confused:

The way to add another donation on top of the shirt is just to choose the third option on the donation page. Since those don't ask for any goodies, it won't mess anything up!

Chescat
03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
The way to add another donation on top of the shirt is just to choose the third option on the donation page. Since those don't ask for any goodies, it won't mess anything up!
Thanks John. When you previously had mentioned the after paypal and t-shirt fees, I got to thinking I did want the t-shirt and make a donation. Which I did a few days ago by just clicking the t-shirt option. But when you subtract the cost of all that, I didn't feel I was giving enough for the server. So that's why I wanted to do second donation just to add to the server fund. :D

KCMom
03-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much does a server cost? What's our goal?

John
03-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much does a server cost? What's our goal?

The goal is to raise as much as we can, then buy as much horsepower as that affords us. Average costs for a decent one will run between $4-6 thousand. If we were to go hog wild and raised a ton of money, we would probably retire the server we use now - but as it stands, the existing server will run mail for all the domains along with DNS. Now, that being said, you can get ok servers that would still be an upgrade to ours for $3k plus the additional cost of software, operating system etc. We are doing much more than just buying hardware, we are buying all the things that go along with it.

I put this on the donation page but I'll repeat it here...

Wondering What You Are Helping Imagineer?

New Dual Processor Web Server

New Mail Server Software to deliver the board mail

Added Monthly Hosting Charge of running 2 Servers

Backup Software and Hardware - among other things!

Finally, the numbers I am posting are Gross and don't include mailing costs, tshirt costs and fees. So it's a little decieving. My guess is we are sitting around $1500-1700 net right now.

Hope that helps answer your questions!

pogo
03-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I got my donation in!!! I need to work on Avatar though...DH suggested a dragonfly, since I love them so much...I wonder if I could figure a way to have Mickey riding a dragonfly!!!!:mickey:

Or.... how about a Canadian Belly Dancer ! You know.... the ones with the parka ! :D

merlinmagic4
03-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Absolutely, and we can't thank you all enough for whatever contribution you are able to make. :notworth: Remember, we will all benefit in the end! :thumbsup:

Jennifer, no need to feel stupid. It's a very legitimate question!

You are correct - there is nowhere on the contribution screen to enter your screen name. Carol has gone through and matched some email addresses with user accounts where she can, thus some folks already have the "contributor" title under their screennames.

For those we can't figure out (some folks are using emails not associated with their INTERCOT accounts), we are asking on the custom avatar letter you will soon be receiving that you are sure to include your screen name when you submit your avatar request. That way, your avatar and contributor title is sure to be loaded to the correct account.

Hope this answers your question. :)

I put my username in the "instructions" box at the bottom of the paypal payment. Will that work for people? I also have a new email address since I registered with Intercot.

Melanie
03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I put my username in the "instructions" box at the bottom of the paypal payment. Will that work for people? I also have a new email address since I registered with Intercot.

Kelly,

If you gave an amount which entitles you to a custom avatar, we'll still send you an email with instructions. This email will be sent to the address you used on your PayPal payment. :thumbsup:

DizNee143
03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
yay!! i put my sad little donation in...lol..i just bought a condo so i have like no money..but im on here all the time during the week..i wish i could of given you guys more than 5 dollars but i figured it was better than nothing!!..:mickey:

John
03-13-2007, 11:24 AM
yay!! i put my sad little donation in...lol..i just bought a condo so i have like no money..but im on here all the time during the week..i wish i could of given you guys more than 5 dollars but i figured it was better than nothing!!..:mickey:

We thank you for your donation. Large or Small, it all helps!

aprilisis
03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Woohoo! I just put in my donation. :rocks: I hope you reach your goal!!

allie_to_you
03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I just made my donation! I wish I could have done more than $5 but we are just not able right now, but since my husband & I both love this site and spend so much time on here everyday, we wanted to at least do something!

How much do you have to donate to get the blue contributor stars? I didn't see a space to put my email or my intercot user name.

Hope it helps!

DizneyFreak2002
03-13-2007, 09:19 PM
I have another question about the custom avatar... I know you guys are very busy... But, I was wondering, would we be able to get a preview of what the avatar would be like once you guys resize it to 80x80? I have an avatar resizer, and, some of the pictures I was playing around with were not going 80x80.. some were going 82x60 or 80x72... and while the picture was clear in full, looked a little blurry as the avatar, and very small.... also, if we sent two pictures, would you be able to resize both and then let us choose which one we like more? I am just so confused as to which picture I want to use...

John
03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
I have another question about the custom avatar... I know you guys are very busy... But, I was wondering, would we be able to get a preview of what the avatar would be like once you guys resize it to 80x80? I have an avatar resizer, and, some of the pictures I was playing around with were not going 80x80.. some were going 82x60 or 80x72... and while the picture was clear in full, looked a little blurry as the avatar, and very small.... also, if we sent two pictures, would you be able to resize both and then let us choose which one we like more? I am just so confused as to which picture I want to use...

With hundreds of members contibuting, that just is not possible. Sorry. Choose one and send it along.

Caroleh
03-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Or.... how about a Canadian Belly Dancer ! You know.... the ones with the parka ! :D

I got rid of the parka!!! I came to Canada for the warmer winters and cooler summers...a lot better then Iowa!!! I was running around today without my coat, and most of our snow is already melted!!!

pogo
03-13-2007, 10:21 PM
I got rid of the parka!!! I came to Canada for the warmer winters and cooler summers...a lot better then Iowa!!! I was running around today without my coat, and most of our snow is already melted!!! Now now...... calm down Buddy. Just kidding you ! :D

magicofdisney
03-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I plan to donate but I'm not ready to commit to an Avatar yet, although I definitely want a personal one. How long after we donate, do we have to make our final decision?

TIA,

Genna

John
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I plan to donate but I'm not ready to commit to an Avatar yet, although I definitely want a personal one. How long after we donate, do we have to make our final decision?

TIA,

Genna

Though we formally havn't announced, my best guestimate would be that we will want to wrap the avatar creation up 30 days after the finish of the promotion. So you can donate now and have plenty of time to find the perfect avatar.

KAJUNKING
03-14-2007, 12:58 PM
as contributors will we keep the blue stars and senior status or will this be there untill the drive is over??

Damon18
03-14-2007, 05:10 PM

I just made my donation and then realized that the e-mail address I used is different from the one in my Intercot account. I did not request any goodies but I would kind of like the snazzy blue stars. Is there any way to work that out? Sorry to be difficult.:blush:

Carol
03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
as contributors will we keep the blue stars and senior status or will this be there untill the drive is over??The status will remain even after the drive ends. :)

KAJUNKING
03-14-2007, 06:57 PM
thanks carol

John
03-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Just to clear the issue up (and I thought I had posted this before but now can't find it)...

Much like the Leave a Legacy at Epcot and the Walk Around The World at the Magic Kingdom, we won't be able to guarantee the avatars and blue stars will be around forever, but it's safe to say, they should remain with you for quite some time to come - translated - years...

We don't have any plans to remove them and they will definately stay after the promotion.

Brownie54
03-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I have used Intercot so many times. It is just full of information. I can honestly say this site has made our trips to Disney more enjoyable as well as saving a few bucks. If that wasn't enough, this place is a friendly welcome place to talk Disney. You guys rock!!!:cool: So I am happy to have just sent my donation. I'd like to think of it as an investment in the future of Intercot.

allie_to_you
03-14-2007, 09:35 PM
How much do you have to donate to get the blue contributor stars?

When I paid through Paypal, I didn't see a space to put my email or my intercot user name.

John
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
How much do you have to donate to get the blue contributor stars?

When I paid through Paypal, I didn't see a space to put my email or my intercot user name.

- Minimum for an avatar and the stars is $25

- We don't need a space for user name/pass. You will be emailed at the address you donate to the drive with instructions on what to do - which includes emailing your user name and other info to us.

- If your email used for paypal matches your ICOT email, we may match you with blue stars even before you get that email, but we don't guarantee that.

WDWfanatic742
03-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Hey John, do us moderators (or in my condition, apprentice) get the blue stars too or do we need to keep the stars we have now to be easily seen that we are moderators?

John
03-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey John, do us moderators (or in my condition, apprentice) get the blue stars too or do we need to keep the stars we have now to be easily seen that we are moderators?

Mods retain their existing stars/title.

DizneyFreak2002
03-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Avatar submitted... Please let me know if I need to change anything or if the image is not acceptable for some reason..

John
03-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Avatar submitted... Please let me know if I need to change anything or if the image is not acceptable for some reason..

Just a note - please don't post here that you submitted (you didn't know :mickey: ) - Otherwise, this thread will become a bear to weed through!

Carol and Mel will contact you if we have any problems. If everyone follows the instructions, we'll all be cool! :cool:

allie_to_you
03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Quick question...if we have already donated a small amount but want to donated a little more in order to get the avatar/blue stars, do we just go in and donate the remaining amount and it will show you guys our total donated?

Carol
03-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Yes. We will be able to see that you donated again - and your totals. You can also make a notation in the 'note' field when processing the payment.

Thanks for helping. :)

MsMin
03-16-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm waiting to hear and have already made my avatar.
I wanted to know if I could help in any other ways if I could help anyone make a personal Avatar I would be glad to donate my time :)
I have several great graphics stored that may be very useful.
Let me know if I can help. :minnie:

aprilisis
03-16-2007, 10:31 AM
I made my donation on Tuesday & I am afraid that the e-mail went to my "bulk mail" folder. What should I be looking for as a subject or sender? Thanks!

Melanie
03-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I made my donation on Tuesday & I am afraid that the e-mail went to my "bulk mail" folder. What should I be looking for as a subject or sender? Thanks!

Emails have not been sent out for any donations made after March 12. They should go out sometime today.

The email wil be from avatar at intercot dot com with the subject Avatar/Account Information.

:)

aprilisis
03-16-2007, 10:53 AM
:whew: Whew- I thought I may have deleted it. Thanks, Mel!! :notworth:

John
03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I feel like I need to jump in here :)

The server drive is an entirely manual process. After you donate, I then go in every 2-3 days or so and download a spreadsheet which is then turned over to Mel and Carol. From there, they then scan the entries and send out contact to the people who have donated.

So, the bottom line is - please be patient. As we mentioned on the details page...

After sending in your donation, you will be contacted within 7-10 days.

If you don't hear from us within about 10 days after you donate, then feel free to email or pm us... but given the volume of things coming in, we ask that you don't email until after that amount of time has passed. Carol and Mel are working very hard and will be sure to get to everyone!

Thanks!
JOHN

John
03-16-2007, 01:00 PM
BTW, one other thing to add... when I post here (as I am going to now) about the amount we have collected so far, that means that I have just produced another spreadsheet to transfer to Mel and Carol... and that all the names since the last time I have posted the update have been added to the list of people to send email to.

Without further delay - here's the update!

Total as of Friday March 16 - 11am: $3315

:mickey3:

Carol
03-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks, John. :)

I'd also like to add - that Mel is in a different time zone then most of us. If you send your avatar submission in and do not hear something during that day - that is the reason why. We're in opposite sleep cycles. :)

Thanks to Everyone for their continued support and help. :notworth:

DisneyDudet
03-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey, I'm in too. Glad to help support my favorite site. I'm not sure that I have an avatar in mind since I've never seen Mickey chasing a tornado, but could I have "Team Intercot Meteorologist" as my title? :D

If you search for a Silly Symphony.. there is one where there is a tornado w/ Mickey.

I know this.. its my favorite.. I was going to be a meteorologist!

Here we go again...
03-19-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm waiting to hear and have already made my avatar.
I wanted to know if I could help in any other ways if I could help anyone make a personal Avatar I would be glad to donate my time :)
I have several great graphics stored that may be very useful.
Let me know if I can help. :minnie:

FYI everyone...
Beth (MsMin)helped me with mine and I can not wait to see it on Intercot. She did a great job! I sent her some pictures that I liked and she put them together for me. I love what she did and can not wait to share it! :thumbsup:
Thanks Beth :notworth:

TheAdventurer
03-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Ok, I just sent in my donation, Although I have to say, while I'm looking forward to "Contributor" under my name, I wish we didn't all have the line of blue stars. I'm a mid-level poster with a little over 700 posts, and I'd rather earn my stars the old fashioned way, and have enjoyed watching them slowly increase. But no biggie, I'm even more looking forward to having a picture of an "Adventurer's Club Member" pin as my avatar

John
03-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Ok, I just sent in my donation, Although I have to say, while I'm looking forward to "Contributor" under my name, I wish we didn't all have the line of blue stars. I'm a mid-level poster with a little over 700 posts, and I'd rather earn my stars the old fashioned way, and have enjoyed watching them slowly increase. But no biggie, I'm even more looking forward to having a picture of an "Adventurer's Club Member" pin as my avatar

Unfortunately, it's an all or nothing deal. If you would rather skip the Stars/Contrib. title, thats ok with us.

mtown71
03-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I made a contribution on the 16th. When should I expect to hear from someone about everything?

John
03-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I made a contribution on the 16th. When should I expect to hear from someone about everything?

7-10 days from the time you see your donation date included in the update date on the server drive page.

Nate's Grandpa
03-21-2007, 11:02 AM
7-10 days from the time you see your donation date included in the update date on the server drive page.

John,

How do you access the server drive page?
I have looked but can't seem to find it.

Thank you!

John
03-21-2007, 11:11 AM
John,

How do you access the server drive page?
I have looked but can't seem to find it.

Thank you!

See the homepage. Although I have also been posting the update in this thread. See it in big green letters above.

Crow
03-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the avatar!!
even though the pic i sent was too big you ended up makin it work:cheers:
everyone :help: to keep Intercot going strong:rocks:

mermaidmarian
03-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Could you clarify the deadline for the promotion for me? I have already donated, but I am unclear if I have to have my custom avatar submitted or completed by April 20th - or if that was when the fund drive was slated to close.

John
03-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Could you clarify the deadline for the promotion for me? I have already donated, but I am unclear if I have to have my custom avatar submitted or completed by April 20th - or if that was when the fund drive was slated to close.

That's when the fund drive closes. I believe we are going to let people submit for a month after the close of the promotion. Don't worry, we will announce it here and on the home page.

Dsnygirl
03-26-2007, 09:39 AM
:mickey: Hi all.... just wondering when the next update will come on the amount raised so far... I'm excited to see how we're doing! I'm sure you are all busy working on it - thanks for all you're doing to keep our site the best one out there!! :D :thumbsup:

John
03-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Total as of Monday March 26 - 7pm: $4280

Thanks to your donations - the new mail server was purchased, is up and running, and delivering board mail! So that's one item off the list already!

Melanie
03-27-2007, 05:18 AM
And that new mail server is AWESOME!!! :number1:

What a difference it makes in sending out the avatar letters for the server drive!

But more importantly in the long run, guest mail is greatly improved, which means better service to you all! :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!!! :notworth:

Dsnygirl
03-27-2007, 08:59 AM
:mickey: :party: Yeah!!! that is SO awesome!!:party: :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
03-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Good news... Glad to see the fund raiser is going so well... Way to step up fellow Intercotees... :)

Chescat
03-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Woot! Awesome John ! Keep those donations rolling in!!

:rocks:

John
03-27-2007, 09:36 PM
24 Days Left - and the donations have slowed to a crawl. Nothing has come in over the last 24 hours. Maybe all those who want to help have donated already.

Regardless, we have done an amazing job to date - and I thank everyone who has taken a moment to help out the site. Your generosity is much appreciated!

PirateLover
03-27-2007, 10:25 PM
24 Days Left - and the donations have slowed to a crawl. Nothing has come in over the last 24 hours. Maybe all those who want to help have donated already.

I think a few people have stated that they are saving up or don't have the money right now. I know that I would really like to donate, but I'm currently student teaching and don't have any money. I should come into enough to be able to donate by the end of the drive, though. I would expect a decent sized "last minute rush."

Chescat
03-28-2007, 04:58 PM

Regardless, we have done an amazing job to date - and I thank everyone who has taken a moment to help out the site. Your generosity is much appreciated!
John, can you extend the deadline to the end of April? What might be happening is with tax time around the corner, people are having to pay their tax people, the IRS and property taxes are due. Once that's all out of the way by April 17th, people might have recoup'ed from all that. :blush:

John
03-28-2007, 05:04 PM
John, can you extend the deadline to the end of April? What might be happening is with tax time around the corner, people are having to pay their tax people, the IRS and property taxes are due. Once that's all out of the way by April 17th, people might have recoup'ed from all that. :blush:

Actually, thats why we extended it to the 20th. That and I figured $25 wasn't probably going to make or break anyone who really wanted to give over the month and a half we were doing it.

So, I think we'll stick with the 20th. Don't want this dragging on forever, plus we have promised to get the shirts out by a certain time and delaying past that on the end of the drive would push the shirts back as well.

DizneyFreak2002
03-28-2007, 06:53 PM
John, how much more do you figure you need? I know the items you were looking for are extremely expensive... Maybe those os uf who already shelled out a few bucks can spare a bit more... I was just wondering if there was agoal amount you had set for this drive and how far we are from that goal....

Bethanymouse
03-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I am so excited to help out with this promotion. I do have a question though. With the custom avatars how do they work? Do I need to submit anything or can I let someone design them for me based on information that I tell them? Do you design them? Thanks so much for all that you do!:rocks:

Melanie
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
With the custom avatars how do they work? Do I need to submit anything or can I let someone design them for me based on information that I tell them? Do you design them?

The avatar rules are listed on the main Server Drive (http://www.intercot.com/news/serverdrive/default.asp) page. You will also receive an email with instructions after you contribute as well.

You can submit your own image (family-friendly, of course) or give guidelines as to what you want and Carol will whip up something great for you. :)

Hope this answers your questions.

Bethanymouse
03-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks Mel....I think when the time comes I will give Carol a number of things I like and let her be creative....I lack a little in that department!

Dopey's Girl
03-29-2007, 12:58 PM
I just donated, but after I hit submit, I realized that I hadn't changed my bank info, and it has the old account (which doesn't exist any more, because the bank was bought out) so that tran is going to bomb. SO SORRY! :bang: I will update it after lunch and resubmit my donation!

I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to run a scam or anything!!!

Edited to say: Nevermind! I just found out that the new bank is processing debits and credits with the old account number! I just looked at my statement online, and the payment to paypal posted, so I guess I'm good! Sorry for the confusion!

mttafire
03-30-2007, 11:47 PM
I just donated, but after I hit submit, I realized that I hadn't changed my bank info, and it has the old account (which doesn't exist any more, because the bank was bought out) so that tran is going to bomb. SO SORRY! :bang: I will update it after lunch and resubmit my donation!

I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to run a scam or anything!!!

Edited to say: Nevermind! I just found out that the new bank is processing debits and credits with the old account number! I just looked at my statement online, and the payment to paypal posted, so I guess I'm good! Sorry for the confusion!
LOL, Been there done that!!:blush:

Dopey's Girl
03-31-2007, 06:48 PM
LOL, Been there done that!!:blush:

I'm glad I'm not alone! Goodness!:blush:

2Epcot
04-03-2007, 12:22 AM
I donated last night, but after I finished I realized I didn't choose a size for my T-shirt. :confused:

Carol
04-03-2007, 10:00 AM
No worries, Chris. Drop JohnY an email with the name and email address you used to process the donation and the T-shirt size you want.

Thanks for the support. :number1:

2Epcot
04-03-2007, 01:22 PM
No worries, Chris. Drop JohnY an email with the name and email address you used to process the donation and the T-shirt size you want.

Thanks Carol, I will do that. :mickey:

Jeremy
04-03-2007, 08:04 PM
I donated last night too.
I hope it went through ok.

I used the paypal.

My paypal account email is diffent then the email on here.
I hope that worked out ok.:confused:

Melanie
04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
My paypal account email is diffent then the email on here.
I hope that worked out ok.:confused:

No worries, Jeremy. I will send the email to the email associated with your PayPal, and then you send back your information which will link us to your account here on INTERCOT. It's simple! :thumbsup:

Jeremy
04-03-2007, 09:51 PM
ok thank you:thumbsup:

Christine
04-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm glad you asked that Jeremy!

I donated on March 28th and haven't heard anything back, so I started to worry about the different email / no user name thing.

John
04-03-2007, 11:24 PM
It may take up to a week for you to be contacted - we don't pull the info every day - rather about once a week to keep things managable.

I'll be trying to pull the next batch sometime tomorrow or Thursday.

Christine
04-06-2007, 04:28 PM
No hurry, John! I am still picking out my AVATAR!!!

Is something like this gonna be too big?? (I am computer IGNORANT and wouldn't know a pixel from a hole in the wall!) :D

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2203790920085605958ocASlw?vhost=home-and-garden

Carol
04-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Is something like this gonna be too big?? Yes. An avatar is 80x80. That photo is 800x600.

DisneyDudet
04-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I noticed my transaction went through the 1st.

Did you get it? I'm worried since its been almost a week.

I have my avatar made and everything! MsMin (Beth) created it for me!

Carol
04-07-2007, 06:40 AM
It takes 7-10 days from the donation date for letters to go out. See John's reply above.

Yours will be going out in the next few days in the next batch.

DisneyDudet
04-07-2007, 10:53 AM
I guess I missed the last one by a little bit. I'm (im)patiently waiting!!

John
04-09-2007, 06:29 PM
The total as of...

April 9 - 6:20pm
$5140.00

A total of 147 people have donated to the server drive (thank you :mickey: )... so that leaves a whole lot of INTERCOTees that only have 11 days left to get in on the action. The drive ends at midnite on the 20th - after that, the opportunity to get a custom avatar or ICOT Imagineering Tshirt is gone. Don't wait till the last second... donate today.

If you donated between now and the last update, you should receive your email within the next few days. :number1:

JPL
04-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Nice Job Fellow Intercotees :thumbsup:

Bethanymouse
04-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Ok, thanks for the update. I donated a few days ago and was waiting to hear from you! I am so glad that we have collected so much! Intercot is so deserving. You are all so wonderful and we appreciate all of your hard work and dedication to our magical forum!:mickey:

Lucille
04-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Woo Hoo! I'm picking a picture for my avatar right now!! :mickey:

Chescat
04-10-2007, 07:26 PM
I know some of the money will be used for the t-shirts. Are we far off from your target for the systems and software? I mean if we are getting closer to that target and not there yet at your end time, I know I'd be willing to add to what I have given to get closer to your target.

John
04-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I know some of the money will be used for the t-shirts. Are we far off from your target for the systems and software? I mean if we are getting closer to that target and not there yet at your end time, I know I'd be willing to add to what I have given to get closer to your target.

What we have will buy a server. As I think I mentioned in this thread (maybe not) - the amount we collect will help determine the horsepower, memory, storage, programs and backup devices that go into the server. Oh and pay for connectivity and bandwidth costs in the months ahead. There is also a list of things we are looking to purchase on the drive page itself.

So, bottom line is - we can purchase something... but are still looking to upgrade and expand what that amount buys us after expenses (mailing, tshirts, transfers and pay pal fees).

If I was to have to guess, I'd say we are at about $4k net right now.

Not bad - but we can do better! :mickey:

John
04-10-2007, 08:54 PM
At the urging of one of our staff members, I am going to provide you some more detail :)

$4,000 will buy us a server that I put together and that serves us well.

However, most brand name servers such as Dell, Compaq, HP etc, will run you in the $6-8k range. I know this because it's what I do in my day job... and we just bought a brand new webserver for our company.

So, just for snicks, I went to Dell's site tonite and priced out a server (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/print_summary_details_popup.aspx?~lt=print&c=us&cart=ActiveCart&cs=04&ecomm=ecomm.dell.com&fb=1&id=e15bbb22-1fce-4ba0-b05e-e18b357f44a2&l=en&oc=becwfk3&leadtime=4/19/2007&showleadtime=True) - a
PowerEdge 2950. The total came to $6150.

It includes dual - quad core processors, 4gb of ram, 4 - 73gb hard drives and an internal DAT tape backup drive and windows server 2003.

The key here is that we are trying to buy for the future. That means not buying below or at current technology levels - rather trying to buy ahead of the curve. We would like for the server to last 4-5 years. Rebuilding things every year or two is a pain :sick: - and it would be nice to have something that lasts.

The price I mentioned above is good - but I didn't even go super high end on the processor or the hard drive space.

So, I hope that gives everyone a better idea of what's involved, what real costs are and how much it is to purchase and run a webserver. Like I said - we can do it for 4k and I can build it - but I'd LOVE to actually be able to buy something branded and supported for a change - :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
04-10-2007, 11:17 PM
:mickey: So - if we already donated but would like to add to it some - do we just go through the same PayPal link we used before? Is there anything else we have to do?

Thanks for the added info, John - it puts things in better perspective for those of us not so much in the know on tech stuff!! :crazy: And thanks so much for all you're doing to make this site even better!! :thumbsup:

Nate's Grandpa
04-11-2007, 01:37 PM
John,

If the response time of this site is any indication, the current server has reached the end of its usefulness. I usually visit here during lunch without any problems, but recently the response time has been very slow.

If it will help increase your net profit, just don't send me the t shirt I ordered. I need Intercot more than I need a t shirt.

John
04-11-2007, 01:43 PM
John,

If the response time of this site is any indication, the current server has reached the end of its usefulness. I usually visit here during lunch without any problems, but recently the response time has been very slow.

If it will help increase your net profit, just don't send me the t shirt I ordered. I need Intercot more than I need a t shirt.

...and thus the reason why this is happening.

Chescat
04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Okay people out there. If people can afford to go to the Intercot Meet in October, we can afford to help John out with his server. What's a little bit more to help this site that we all love.:rocks:

John, I'm adding on to my pledge, I hope others will do the same. :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
04-11-2007, 09:16 PM
:mickey: So - if we already donated but would like to add to it some - do we just go through the same PayPal link we used before? Is there anything else we have to do?

Thanks for the added info, John - it puts things in better perspective for those of us not so much in the know on tech stuff!! :crazy: And thanks so much for all you're doing to make this site even better!! :thumbsup:

Just answered my own question by giving it a shot - went through just fine, I think. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work, everybody!!

mrsgaribaldi
04-11-2007, 10:19 PM
I just donated 45 dollars with my email address but it's for my DH, Garguy. I hope that's ok. He wants to get the custom avatar too. Thanks

caryrae
04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Just curious, once the server drive is over about how long after would the new server be up and running? and would this site be down for a little while or does it go pretty fast transfering to the new server?

John
04-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Just curious, once the server drive is over about how long after would the new server be up and running? and would this site be down for a little while or does it go pretty fast transfering to the new server?

It's definately not a fast process - and the web site is likely to be down for a day or more. The one advantage is that we are planning to seperate out the server for intercot from the rest of the levelbest sites which means some things that otherwise would need to be moved, wont have to be.

How long till we get it up and running? Realisticly, by the time we buy the hardware, put things together and plan everything out - we're looking at sometime this summer. July-ish. If things go superbly well, maybe June.

caryrae
04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Just donated:) . Can't wait to get my new t-shirt. The avatar will be a hard one to come up with. Can we use personal pics from our computer?

Piglet822
04-12-2007, 08:02 PM
and the web site is likely to be down for a day or more.

:eek: :faint:

I know it's for a good reason. I'll be ok. :blush:

And as soon as I figure out the finances for this week, I'll be making an additional donation, John. Hopefully we can get enough to get the server you want :thumbsup:

Carol
04-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Just donated:) . Can we use personal pics from our computer?Yes - but preferably small crisp images. You'll get a letter with specifics. :)

Dsnygirl
04-14-2007, 03:57 PM
John - any new totals?? Sure hope we're getting close!! Let us know so we can keep helping as needed... :thumbsup:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
04-14-2007, 06:06 PM
I just wanted to say to John, thanks for giving US this opportunity! Really appreciate it. Intercot means so much to all of us and it really has become a part of our on-line lives.

I can't wait to wear my shirt (hope it arrives before May 18th!) while in WDW next month!

THREE CHEERS FOR JOHN AND INTERCOT!
HIP HIP :joy:! HIP HIP :joy:! HIP HIP :joy:!

:party: :trio: :tiphat: :thanks:

Chris :hatter:

PirateLover
04-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Well, thanks to lady luck shining down just a little bit on me yesterday, I was finally able to bite the bullet and make my donation! I'm sure to most people $25 doesn't seem like a lot but for a college student who is currently student teaching and has no source of income, it sure is! I'm just glad that I was eventually able to help and I'm sure that everyone appreciates what you guys here at Intercot do for us, even if they can't find the money to donate right now... and a big thanks to everyone who has!
:D :number1: :thumbsup:

McGoofy
04-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I waited to the last minute, but I did just donate. My husband said to me, "How could we not? We use Intercot all the time!!" It's our little way of saying thank you for all that you do.

And FYI...I even earned some Disney dollars in the process because I used my brand new Tinkerbell Disney Visa card! :D :tink:

Melanie
04-15-2007, 07:20 PM
I waited to the last minute, but I did just donate. My husband said to me, "How could we not? We use Intercot all the time!!" It's our little way of saying thank you for all that you do.

And FYI...I even earned some Disney dollars in the process because I used my brand new Tinkerbell Disney Visa card! :D :tink:

It's a win-win for everyone! :clappy:

Thanks for your support! :thumbsup:

d_m_n_n
04-19-2007, 01:48 PM
I procrastinated on donating and now when I try to follow the links I just get a blank screen (problem on my end). Does anyone have a direct "address" to go through paypal that I can use? I want to fulfill my moral obligation to a site I value so much.

Thanks!

poeticeclipse
04-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm super excited about my donation! I kept putting it off thinking "but, I have a wedding and a Disneymoon to pay for..." I must say that my Disneymoon wouldn't be half as great if it weren't for Intercot. 25 bucks is the least I could do!

Thank you INTERCOT!!!:number1:

Chescat
04-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Last day people! Please help John make Intercot even better than it currently is. A few out there told me to remind them near the end. OKAY ITS TIME NOW!!! :director: :director:

KathyMO
04-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I am really surprised more users haven't donated. $25 is about the price of most good guide books and Intercot provides much more information and the ability to get the questions you still have after reading answered.

Everyone that can give please give today.

Kathy

Carol
04-21-2007, 06:34 AM
THANKS TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS!

YOU ROCK! :number1:

Maleficent's Dad
04-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Anyone know when we'll be contacted re our donations? I gave about a week ago.
Thanks! :mickey:

John
04-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Anyone know when we'll be contacted re our donations? I gave about a week ago.
Thanks! :mickey:

Within the next week is a pretty safe bet ;)

caryrae
04-23-2007, 11:25 AM
So how did we do in the fund raising? Did we get enough to get the server you want?

John
04-23-2007, 11:47 AM
So how did we do in the fund raising? Did we get enough to get the server you want?

Totals later today - we did have a nice finish though. I think we will be able to buy what we wanted :)

poeticeclipse
04-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Totals later today - we did have a nice finish though. I think we will be able to buy what we wanted :)

That's great news!!!!!:number1:

Piglet822
04-23-2007, 02:27 PM

:thumbsup: That's great news, John :D

A very special thank you to INTERCOT and everyone that contributed for the new server :number1:

battle beast
04-23-2007, 02:57 PM

Woot! hip hip :joy: !!!

Dsnygirl
04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
:joy: :woohoo: YEAH!! :woohoo: :joy:

That's awesome news... can't wait to hear more!! :D

merlinmagic4
04-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Sorry about this but I can't find my letter that I got after I donated :blush: I think all I would like is my name (Kelly) on the avatar that I already have. Can someone please contact me again? Thanks!!!!!:mickey:

DisneyWhirled
04-23-2007, 09:21 PM
We donated as well and the $ cleared my account, however, we have not heard from Intercot. Could you verify if you received our donation? I am not sure what you would need to check. Please advise :)

Melanie
04-23-2007, 09:25 PM
We donated as well and the $ cleared my account, however, we have not heard from Intercot. Could you verify if you received our donation? I am not sure what you would need to check. Please advise :)

Hi Karen. :)

Did you donate after April 9th? If so, the avatar letters have not been sent out yet. Should be in the next couple of days.

John
04-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Ok folks - here are the final totals:

235 - Contributions (some people gave more than once).

$7962.00 - Total funds collected

$7615.06 - Net after processing fees

Still need to produce t-shirts and mail them out - so the actual NET total is still to be tallied.

Thanks to everyone who donated!!! You guys ROCK! :rocker:

Melanie
04-23-2007, 09:37 PM

:notworth:Thanks everyone!! :notworth:

Sylvia
04-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Time got away from me due to a very stressful time at work. Also, I've been out of town the past week and missed the deadline.

Sorry for donating past the deadline, but I just made my $45.00 donation. Will it still count? Will I still get the t-shirt and have the blue stars added to my name? Just curious.

Thanks.

mttafire
04-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I know i and many wish we coulda gave more. BUT, Im sure John will soon have a MUCH better server up and running.:mickey: Next thing is for the set date of start up of the NEW and IMPROVED Intercot. Keep us posted John on that date. Thanks for all you do to make Intercot the best Disney "unofficial" site there is!!:mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
04-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Don't bother sending me a T-shirt, I have too many of them anyway :)

John
04-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Time got away from me due to a very stressful time at work. Also, I've been out of town the past week and missed the deadline.

Sorry for donating past the deadline, but I just made my $45.00 donation. Will it still count? Will I still get the t-shirt and have the blue stars added to my name? Just curious.

Thanks.

You are fine. ;)

John
04-24-2007, 01:13 PM
The new server has been ordered - it will probably make it's appearance towards the middle of June.

Here's the specs in case anyone is interested:

PowerEdge 2950 Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5335, 2x4MB Cache, 2.0GHz, 1333MHz FSB
[222-7718]

Additional Processor Quad Core Xeon E5335, 2x4MB Cache, 2.0GHz
[466-4100]

Memory 4GB 533MHz (4x1GB), Dual Ranked DIMMs
[311-5729]

Riser Card Riser with 2 PCI-X Slots (3 Volts) and 1 PCIe Slot
[320-4608]

Primary Hard Drive 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
[341-3031]

Primary Controller FREE! PERC 5/i, x4 Backplane, Integrated Controller Card
[465-5029]

Network Adapter Dual Embedded Broadcom® NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NIC
[430-1764]

Removable Disk and Tape Drives RD1000, Internal SATA Drive Bay (Purchase removable Media separately below)
[341-4748]

CD/DVD Drive 24X IDE CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive
[313-3934]

Bezel Rack Bezel
[313-3920]

Backplane 1x4 Backplane for 3.5-inch Hard Drives
[311-5746]

Documentation Electronic Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
[310-7415]

2nd Hard Drive 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
[341-3031]

Hard Drive Configuration Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 10, PERC 5/i Integrated
[341-3061]

Power Supply Redundant Power Supply with Y-Cord for PowerEdge 2950
[310-7421]

4th Hard Drive 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
[341-3031]

3rd Hard Drive 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
[341-3031]

Media for Removable Disk (RD1000) and Tape Backup QTY 1, Removable HD Cartridge for RD1000 Drive,80GB native/160GB compressed
[341-4406]

poeticeclipse
04-24-2007, 01:18 PM
If only I could understand more than 5% of what you post, John! I'll just take your word for it that we need all that junk to make INTERCOT better. Can't wait to see the changes!:mickey:

WDWFanatic
04-24-2007, 04:27 PM
If only I could understand more than 5% of what you post, John! I'll just take your word for it that we need all that junk to make INTERCOT better. Can't wait to see the changes!:mickey:

DITTO! Can't wait to see the changes.

You can also count me as a late contributor. Don't you just love us last minute people:blush:

Hopefully better late than never....

I see the link is still us to donate, does that mean people can still help out?

John
04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
DITTO! Can't wait to see the changes.

You can also count me as a late contributor. Don't you just love us last minute people:blush:

Hopefully better late than never....

I see the link is still us to donate, does that mean people can still help out?

I am going to leave the link active thru the end of the month. While the shirts will not be available after today (once I order them tonite the link comes down) - you can still help out by donating money.

alpro2
04-24-2007, 05:00 PM
The new server has been ordered - it will probably make it's appearance towards the middle of June.

Here's the specs in case anyone is interested:

PowerEdge 2950 Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5335, 2x4MB Cache, 2.0GHz, 1333MHz FSB
[222-7718]

Additional Processor Quad Core Xeon E5335, 2x4MB Cache, 2.0GHz
[466-4100]

Memory 4GB 533MHz (4x1GB), Dual Ranked DIMMs
[311-5729]

Riser Card Riser with 2 PCI-X Slots (3 Volts) and 1 PCIe Slot
[320-4608]

Primary Hard Drive 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
[341-3031]

Primary Controller FREE! PERC 5/i, x4 Backplane, Integrated Controller Card
[465-5029]

Network Adapter Dual Embedded Broadcom® NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NIC
[430-1764]

Removable Disk and Tape Drives RD1000, Internal SATA Drive Bay (Purchase removable Media separately below)
[341-4748]

CD/DVD Drive 24X IDE CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive
[313-3934]

Bezel Rack Bezel
[313-3920]

Backplane 1x4 Backplane for 3.5-inch Hard Drives
[311-5746]

Documentation Electronic Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
[310-7415]

2nd Hard Drive 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
[341-3031]

Hard Drive Configuration Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 10, PERC 5/i Integrated
[341-3061]

Power Supply Redundant Power Supply with Y-Cord for PowerEdge 2950
[310-7421]

4th Hard Drive 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
[341-3031]

3rd Hard Drive 146GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive
[341-3031]

Media for Removable Disk (RD1000) and Tape Backup QTY 1, Removable HD Cartridge for RD1000 Drive,80GB native/160GB compressed
[341-4406]
John - were you able to get an upgraded server that you mentioned in an earlier post?

Good luck with the conversion in June. :thumbsup:

John
04-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Actually what we ordered was indeed better than what I had posted.

The processor speed is faster and the hard drive space is doubled. :)

McGoofy
04-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I am going to leave the link active thru the end of the month. While the shirts will not be available after today (once I order them tonite the link comes down) - you can still help out by donating money.

OOOOHHHH...any chance shirt could be in hand before I leave to go to WDW on Sunday May 6th? That would be awesome. I hope it will be a great way to meet other Intercotees!:mickey:

Thanks for all that you have done!!:thumbsup:

John
04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
OOOOHHHH...any chance shirt could be in hand before I leave to go to WDW on Sunday May 6th? That would be awesome. I hope it will be a great way to meet other Intercotees!:mickey:

Thanks for all that you have done!!:thumbsup:

Unfortunately no - the shirts will not be ready by then. Even if they are - I doubt they will be mailed out earlier than mid May. We have about 100 to do - and that's just my wife and I sending them out! :cool:

Melanie
04-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Okay folks -

I have received the final list of contributors and just finished sending out all of the avatar letters. If you have not received one (and rightfully should), please contact me via PM. We cannot add your stars or custom avatars without you contacting us in some way.

Thank you again for all of your support! As I was going through the list, I was continuously amazed by the wonderful membership we have here at INTERCOT. Stay tuned for bigger and better things! :rocks:

hoop de do
04-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Maybe the wonderful membership is a reflection on the people behind the scenes. I'll put my money on that. Thanks to all of you. We all appreciate it very much. :grouphug:
I'm so excited that I'm going to WDW tomorrow for a quick Mouse fix. :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Actually what we ordered was indeed better than what I had posted.
The processor speed is faster and the hard drive space is doubled. :)

:joy: That is so awesome -- I am so glad you were able to get what you thought we needed!! Although I have no idea what any of the info you posted means... :blush: Just glad we were able to help you do it!!

Thank you again for all of your support! As I was going through the list, I was continuously amazed by the wonderful membership we have here at INTERCOT. Stay tuned for bigger and better things! :rocks:

Ditto!! :grouphug: This site is the best out there (IMH and not at all biased opinion...:blush: ) Can't wait to hear about the "big" stuff!! :D

Chescat
04-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Wow, nice system. This is awesome. We knew Intercot people would come through at the end since we all love this site so much.

:rocks: :congrats:

DVCWDWMEMBER
04-26-2007, 12:20 PM
I totally missed the deadline and wanted to know if we can still donate?

Piglet822
04-26-2007, 04:09 PM

John posted this on the 24th. You can still donate :thumbsup:

McGoofy
04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks again John for all of your time and effort. I love my new avatar, and I can't wait to see the rest of this project come together!

All of your hard work certainly is appreciated. A million thank yous to you!!!:mickey:

MinnieMommie
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
John posted this on the 24th. You can still donate :thumbsup:

Sorry to bother you but I missed the deadline as well and would like to donate. I don't want a custom avitar or anything else but want to help out with this project. Intercot contributes so much to my enjoyment of Disney that I just want to give a little back. Anyway - I can't find the link to make the donation (the one you said John is leaving up until the end of the month (tomorrow). Can you forward it to me or direct me as to how I can access it? Thanks a bunch and again I apologize for any inconvenience. :mickey:

Melanie
04-29-2007, 06:07 PM
MinnieMommie - click here (http://www.intercot.com/news/serverdrive/default.asp).

Thank you!:thumbsup:

Jared
04-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for ordering the new server, John. I'm glad our contributions were so helpful.

:D

Jeff G
04-30-2007, 10:59 PM

Still need to produce t-shirts and mail them out - so the actual NET total is still to be tallied.

Thanks to everyone who donated!!! You guys ROCK! :rocker:

Sounds like you had a great response. I'm looking forward to the next decade of Intercot. Over the past 10 years Intercot has become a daily fixture in my life and things wouldn't be the same without it.

Many thanks to John and everyone else who make Intercot run so smoothly!!!!

Red Randal
05-12-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure what happened (but I'm guessing it has something to do with the many problems I have had with email, the end result being a new account) but I was never contacted about the new avatar.

I also did not get my t-shirt yet. That, though, I'm assuming is just because they haven't been shipped.

Can anyone help me out with the avatar situation?

John
05-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure what happened (but I'm guessing it has something to do with the many problems I have had with email, the end result being a new account) but I was never contacted about the new avatar.

I also did not get my t-shirt yet. That, though, I'm assuming is just because they haven't been shipped.

Can anyone help me out with the avatar situation?

Someone from guest relations will be contacting you about the avatar.

On the shirts, they are all here and all are printed. We have the envelopes and begin the process of addressing them today. They should start shipping Monday.

Red Randal
05-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks, John. Any chance my shirt makes it to PA by Wednesday?

BrerSchultzy
05-13-2007, 10:03 PM
So, I know I missed the boat, by about a month...but are you all still taking donations? And, if I donate the $25, could I still get the custom avatar. I really want to help contribute, but it wasn't until this week that i had the chance to catch up on all my bills. Thanks guys!

Scar
05-14-2007, 10:19 AM
On the shirts, ... They should start shipping Monday.Should have shipped them Friday. Could have saved a few bucks on postage. ;)

Chescat
05-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Wanted to check, did the shirts get shipped yet? Or have I just not gotten mine? :blush:

John
05-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Still working on addressing them all. 100+ of them. They will start going out this week. I promise.

Here we go again...
05-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by JohnY

Thanks to everyone who donated!!! You guys ROCK!
No John, I am pretty sure this shows that YOU rock!
You collected an average of over $38 per person. I can not think of a single board, Disney or not, that I would have contributed the amount of money I did.
Keep of the great work! :thumbsup:

Not2Loud
06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Don't know if its an appropriate question or not, but what was the single largest donation?

John
06-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Don't know if its an appropriate question or not, but what was the single largest donation?

A few people contributed more than once and I know of one at least that totaled close to $200.

An update as well. All shirts were shipped with the exception of one who I didn't have a size for. I'll contact them tonite or tomorrow.

Not2Loud
06-05-2007, 01:24 PM
A few people contributed more than once and I know of one at least that totaled close to $200.

An update as well. All shirts were shipped with the exception of one who I didn't have a size for. I'll contact them tonite or tomorrow.

Thats cool that some people were able to donate that much!

Look forward to getting the shirt!! :party:

Scar
06-05-2007, 01:28 PM
John,

Will we get a warning as to when and for approximately how long the site will be down for when you do the switch?

caryrae
06-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey John, just curious how the install of the new server is going? I know a while ago you had said maybe in June, I know it could be later if things don't go right.

Also just wondering if you run Intercot out of your home or do you have an office somewhere?

John
06-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey John, just curious how the install of the new server is going? I know a while ago you had said maybe in June, I know it could be later if things don't go right.

Also just wondering if you run Intercot out of your home or do you have an office somewhere?

The server is here and sitting in my home office. Looking at July now honestly. Though the good news is that we use the exact same server where I work during the day (yes, ICOT is my OTHER job) and things went pretty darn well recently when I brought that one online. It's super fast and the one ICOT has is even better with more memory. So, look for good things soon.

As far as where the site is run - it's in a datacenter near where my house is. The business of the site is run however all over the globe - wherever our moderators are and staff are located. For me - anywhere that has an internet connection.

There is no INTERCOT office per say other than my home office. We're not quite that big... YET! :mickey:

BronxTigger
06-12-2007, 08:19 PM
When you go offline for the switch, will there be advance warning?

John
06-12-2007, 09:26 PM
When you go offline for the switch, will there be advance warning?

Doubt it. This is a "when I have time to do it" sort of thing - and that doesn't lend itself well to advance notice. The site shouldn't be offline long.

JPL
06-26-2007, 09:29 AM
There is no INTERCOT office per say other than my home office. We're not quite that big... YET! :mickey:

Wait isn't the Intercot office the white room with pads on the walls they send me everyday and I have to dress in that funny white coat that ties in the back :confused::confused: