PDA

View Full Version : Passport ?

magicland
03-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Need some info on this passport thing. Just made reservations for a June, 2007 cruise. With all the info just mailed to us it seems that we have to have a passport. To my knowledge if you "cruise" to the Caribbean you don't need one until 2008. At least this is what AAA told us. If we were "flying" in, we'd need a passport to get back into the country. Are Disney cruises different?

robhink
03-03-2007, 10:21 PM
It is correct that you will not need a passport to travel via sea until next January.

The link for the page on the disney cruise line site is here (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/myCruise/landing?name=PassportDetailPage)

TammiMcMan
03-03-2007, 11:55 PM
No problem if you are simply cruising out and cruising back. If there were ever an emergency at home and you needed to fly back right away, that's where you're going to have issues. If you have to catch a flight back from outside the US, you will not be allowed entrance without a valid passport. Chances are highly unlikely that you would have to fly home, but that's a risk you'll be taking. It's sort of like purchasing vacation insurance I guess. Personally, I'd pay the $97 per passport for peace of mind.

stitchfan
03-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Also note that they've changed the regulations a couple of times. First the deadline was 1/1/07 and they changed that to January of '08. But the particulars keep changing (list of countries you can visit without the passport, exact dates, etc.)

A passport doesn't take that long to get, and compared to the price of your vacation, it's a nit. We always travel with them, even though we hardly ever need them in the Caribbean.

You can keep track of things at the state department if you check here http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html from time to time.

Stitchfan

DisneyDudet
03-04-2007, 07:18 PM
We got ours when before they changed the dates, but it was so easy. It is so much easier to do since you don't have to worry about getting the right birth certificate. Plus if you are doing an Eastern Caribbean, you have to go through immigration before you get out at St thomas, and its easier to keep up with one little book as compared to an id plus a birth certificate.

I highly suggest you get one now. Next time you want to cruise (and you will) you won't have to worry about it then!

wishes1983
04-12-2007, 08:42 PM
I got one before I cruised last year... before any of the laws actually went into effect, and the rest of my family got one for when we go this summer... like said above - it's good to have in the rare case of emeergency - also they're good for something like 10 years, so I agree that it would be worth it! Especialy since I have heard that if you are married you also need your marriage license - since chances are the name on your ID isn't the same on your birth certificate! (just something to keep in mind!!)