PDA

View Full Version : River Country to Reopen??

BrerEmma
02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi, just came back yesterday and while there down at the marina we rented a Sea Raycer and we drove by the old River Country. When we got back to the dock I asked on of the cast members what are they going to do with it. He told me that they have been working over there and it is going to Reopen in about a year as a water park for FW only. Does this ring a bell with any body else?:mickey: :number1:

Figment!
02-14-2007, 11:20 AM
That's been the rumour since the park closed ... :shrug:

Auntie
02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
One can only hope. I wouldn't hold my breath though. I recently received a response to a letter to a "Disney Executive Offices"..(what ever that's supposed to mean) in regard to FW, and facilites..including the use of the WL pool by FW guests.(which is supposed to be prohibited) I mentioned the rumor regarding using part of RC( not the area connected to Bay Lake..but the pools) for an upgraded swimming facility for the FW guests, so as to illiminate the pool hopping and offer the guests at FW a much needed and long awaited renovated swimming area. I got back a very nice thank you for your interest type of response..and how they take your suggestions seriously for future planning. They made no mention of anything specifically changing in FW. Too bad..it would be such a nice idea!

Jasper
02-14-2007, 11:52 AM
I would tend to agree with the others. While you can never say "never", this is likely just another rumor. While some of the pools could possibly be used at FW, any of the parts that use lake water would have to be redone because of the concerns about bacteria in the lake water. With the cost involved in that and the fact that there has been nothing even remotely close to this coming from official channels I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for it. :(

mickey98
02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
On our last trip to F.W. a c.m. told us that they were going to renovate R.C. into a themed pool area for F.W. similar to the one at the W.L. The cast member told us back in November that the work was suppose to start sometime in Jan 07 and possibly be completed by the end of September or October 07... Although he did not know what the plan looked like he said it was going to be a huge upgrade for F.W.
hoping it's true !!!!!!

ibrowse17
02-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Have heard the same thing from CM's for about the last 2 or 3 years. While I hope it does, I don't expect it to reopen.

Speedy1998
02-14-2007, 12:33 PM
I heard the reason that it permenatly closed in the first place was because the cost to get it up to code was going to be about the same as building a new water park.

What is the problem with bacteria in Bay Lake? 20 years ago you used to be able to swim and water ski, etc. in it.

faline
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=42516&highlight=bacteria+water

This prior discussion should provide the answer for you.

TheMartellFamily
02-14-2007, 12:37 PM
One can only hope this great area will be used for something than just let it sit idle. They have been saying that they were going to do something since it has closed. I would like to see it as some sort of water park area for Ft. Wilderness only. Only time will tell.

Auntie
02-14-2007, 12:53 PM
One can only hope this great area will be used for something than just let it sit idle. They have been saying that they were going to do something since it has closed. I would like to see it as some sort of water park area for Ft. Wilderness only. Only time will tell.

You know what they say..."From your lips to God's ears". Or Mickeys:mickey: Haha!

drummerboy
02-14-2007, 02:58 PM
I recall there being a regular swimming pool at RC with clear water and two slides that dumped you out several feet above water level. Wonder what happened to that?

Auntie
02-14-2007, 03:24 PM
That's exactly the area I was referring to in relation to creating a themed swimming area for FW guests. I would think they could update it..much the way they did the pool at the Poly..if it was needed. It would be a great alternative to for those guests who want a pool with a slide for the kids..or the kids at heart!:mickey: I remember it being very nice.

AndrewJackson
02-14-2007, 07:56 PM
This rumor has been around for several years. Back in 1999, we ate dinner at the Wilderness Lodge. A CM asked us to help with the flag retreat ceremony on top of the lodge. He told us of plans to make River Country a private swimming area for Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness, and Hotel Colorado guests. What is Hotel Colorado, you ask. Hotel Colorado was a hotel that was going to be built inside Fort Wilderness in loops 100-200. They were then going to put a railroad connecting all three areas, and create an "entertainment district" similar to the Boardwalk. (This is all according to the CM)

Obviously, none of this ever happened. In fact, the Villas Wilderness Lodge ended up going smack dab in the middle of the supposed train tracks. It might have very well been in the works, or it might have never made it out of the 'blue sky' stage.

I think it would be great if they would fix up the pool, and open it up to FW guests. There is also a nice snack bar and locker rooms that could be used. Maybe they could even serve some drinks and convert it to a poolside bar. :marg: :beer: The snack bar at the Meadow pool is not much of one.

Figment!
02-14-2007, 09:14 PM
What is Hotel Colorado, you ask. Hotel Colorado was a hotel that was going to be built inside Fort Wilderness in loops 100-200. They were then going to put a railroad connecting all three areas, and create an "entertainment district" similar to the Boardwalk. (This is all according to the CM)If I recall correctly, the name Wilderness Junction was also tied to these plans in some way. Not sure if it related to the district or was an alternate name for the hotel.

Auntie
02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
We took the tour of the Lodge and heard that same yarn from the castmember who gave the tour. It sounded wonderful, but obviously as you say..none of it has ever materialized. Too bad.:(

AndrewJackson
02-15-2007, 07:56 AM
If I recall correctly, the name Wilderness Junction was also tied to these plans in some way. Not sure if it related to the district or was an alternate name for the hotel.

Yes, that is right, Wilderness Junction was to be the name of the entertainment district.

Jason Hook
02-15-2007, 08:11 AM
What about building some bigger campsites in that area? If they aren't going to use it for anything, they should dam it up, drain it, and fill it in. It needs to be used for something if it isn't going to be reopened.

CJDDS
02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Historically great sources of inaccurate information: CM's, FW bus drivers, Jim Hill.

Janmac
04-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I have heard the talk about the unhealthy water, and when we were at River Country the part open to the Bay wasn't very pleasant looking, and we're used to non-pool water.

However, as mentioned, the one pool with the two slides was heated and not connected to the Bay, hence no contamination, presumably.

I think the main reason River Country was closed was because TL and BB opened and there wasn't enough business with 3 water parks to make RC a viable operation. Didn't make enough money. So it closed. Why FW never had a themed park is beyond me because the Wilderness Homes ain't cheap. Also, some of the older pools, such as the one at the Poly have undergone renovation and more theming. Seems FW is about due.

Sure would like to see at least the heated pool part of RC open to FW guests. As long as that pool has been closed, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to reopen. Still, if folks have seen activity in the RC area, I'm hopeful.

As to the whole Hotel Colorado and Wilderness Junction not materializing - not surprised. WDW has taken a hit in visitor numbers recently and had profit siphoned off. How much of Pop Century is up and open for business?

Jan

jedigrrrl
04-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I heard the reason that it permenatly closed in the first place was because the cost to get it up to code was going to be about the same as building a new water park.

What is the problem with bacteria in Bay Lake? 20 years ago you used to be able to swim and water ski, etc. in it.

as recently as 8-9 years ago :(
i miss that and river country.

tungpo1
05-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Ive been going to Disney since it opened in 1971 and went to River Country many times. I've talked to several empolyees the last few years since it has closed and they said it is not reopening, but then again you never know. Its been dorment for a long time.

iceicebritney
06-06-2007, 11:01 PM
river country has just been sitting empty for years because of a number of law suits pending due to bacterial infections from the lake water. if you know anything about florida lakes and beaches you know that they are famous for breading terrible parasites. the moral is - dont swim in the lakes.

river country will not re-open. the main pools may eventually be used for fort wilderness because they need more pools for the capacity of the resort... but the area that connects to the lake will just be torn down and turned into something else.

we've investigated this issue very thoroughly throughout wdw property with every CM and official we've come into contact with... everyone u ask gives you the same robotic answer.. as if they were scripted and programmed to give this response everytime.

i heard about the law suits through a district attorney in the orlando area.