PDA

View Full Version : The Dream Squad being "picky"?

mudpuppysmom
01-19-2007, 08:26 PM
I just got off the phone with my cousin.....they live in Daytona and frequent the parks VERY frequently. Last weekend they were down and in the MK. Bill says that they are now under the impression that if you are local, the Dream Squad just says, "Hi" to you and moves on once they find out you are a local. I asked how he came to this revelation as I have been approached by Dream Squad members and also DS has approached Dream Squad members and in all meeting I don't really recall them asking where we were from!! I know that once they did ask DS, but only after we were on our way into the control tower at IASW that he was asked.

Bill reports that he was approached as they exited BTMRR and small talk was made, then asked where he was from and the kids answered DAYTONA!! The Dream Squad then just sort of walked away and said "have a nice day". I can't believe that!!!! Bill's wife, Paula was approached separately and once again, small talk initially, then asked where they were from and once again when they replied they were local that was the end of the encounter. I did as if their messenger bag was bulging or not -- he didn't remember .....seems to me if their bags are bulging they are going to give what is in there away. Bill also does not report if peeps behind them received any prize or special treatment.

I told him that if they are fulfilling a prize that it does not matter WHERE you are from, they are to fulfill the prize right there.

Well, Bill disagrees that they are not discriminating between tourists and locals.........what do you guys think???? Personally I don't think they are being discriminated against.....I think there may have possibly been a Magical Moment in the making and they found out they were local and figure they come all the time.....that is magical enough. Then again, I'm sure there are some kids that are local that only get the chance to go once or twice in their lifetime because their parents just don't want to do "touristy" things!

Thoughts?!?!?!

SBETigg
01-19-2007, 09:21 PM
From what I've heard of how the process works, it is designed so that no one can possibly be discriminated against, involving random selection based on certain criteria ie: the fifth person in line for Haunted Mansion. Etc. I don't think anyone would be passed over for simply being a FL resident. It's possible the CM was just making small talk while waiting for the right number of people to pass by? I don't know. I just wouldn't automatically jump in and assume discrimination. Disney is so conscious of legal issues that I highly doubt they would set themselves up for even the slightest possibility of discriminating.

dakotamom
01-19-2007, 09:58 PM
when we were at WDW, there were several instances where we met people carrying the Dream Team bags, and wearing what I believed were official dream team uniforms - blue shirt, tan pants, white type shirt/collar. We just made small talk. My DS exchanged pins, visited but no award was made.

When we were "picked" by Dream team, there were always several dream team members together, they were all wearing the same uniform and had the bag. they announced that everyone won, not just those from out of state. We were fortunate to be picked 3 times, and ran into what I call miscellaneous dream team people 3 times within the park.

I kind of think your relative was just visited with some one that wasn't giving out prizes that day.

Sorry.

GenieOfPA
01-19-2007, 11:04 PM
from what i have heard, the way it works is that each day the dream team is given a list of certain times, and certain places, and certain number of winners, and so-and-so place in line (ie: 3:45pm, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, 15 winners, 30 people from the front) so that it is comepletely random and in no way discriminating. in a contest like this with so many prizes being awarded it would be very hard for disney to discriminate. i've even heard that the dream team doesn't even know what prize will be awarded until it comes time to award it.

JPL
01-19-2007, 11:20 PM
I know this was brought up alot of different times before the promotion started so I am sure Disney is well aware of the concerns and have made adjustments if any were needed to make sure this couldn't happen. I wouldn't think they would discriminate at all.

Magic Smiles
01-19-2007, 11:37 PM
When we were "picked" by Dream team, there were always several dream team members together, they were all wearing the same uniform and had the bag. they announced that everyone won, not just those from out of state. We were fortunate to be picked 3 times, and ran into what I call miscellaneous dream team people 3 times within the park.
Sorry.
What did you win when you were "picked"?

Carol
01-20-2007, 11:10 AM
SBETigg & GenieOfPA are correct!

You are not "picked" by the Dream Squad. They are dispatched as where to go and who gets what. It has absolutely nothing to do with where you live, your age, looks, group makeup ... etc.

You simply have to be in the right place - at the right time.

mudpuppysmom
01-20-2007, 09:01 PM
These are ALL the things I told him when I talked to him!!! He said he begs to differ though, so I guess he'll just beg to differ for now!!! I told him it is TOTALLY randon on who, where, what and when!!!! And I can attest that it is!!! DS and I were entering One Man's Dream and were given wristbands and told to wait inside for further instruction......after about 20 ppl entered the Dream Squad told us what our "prize" was.....and Extra Dream Magic Hour that night at MGM....meet at Indiana Jones theatre at 8 pm, we got released at 8:30ish and had the park to ourselves (with about 2000 other people though) until 9:30 which was when we strolled out with not a soul in sight........believe me, I know it is totally random!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Wow, that must have been a truly magical experience. I hope I'm picked when I go in August.

goofygirl67
01-21-2007, 12:49 PM
I only ever saw the Dream Team once. I was walking through the West side at DTD and they introduced themselves as the DT from EPCOT. They never asked me where I was from (I live in Jax Fl), and gave me a free pair of ears.
I assumed I didn't see much of them since I don't do the mornings at WDW, I like to stay later at night.

McGoofy
01-21-2007, 05:11 PM
As others have said, the prizes are completely random. The cast members don't know who is chosen until they are told to go to a certain place at a certain time. Also, the dream team members do walk around making small talk with guests. We were approached by these people twice during our November visit. Once we were given buttons to wear and the other time we were given a one time fast past for any ride at MGM. I don't recall them asking where we were from in our conversation. I don't think that they would discriminate with the locals. If anything, I think repeat customers should be rewarded for continuing to dump money into the parks! :mickey:

dakotamom
01-21-2007, 05:58 PM
When I said "picked" I was using the term people use when referring to the dream team. We were in the right place at the right time. we won dream fast passes at Epcot, Animal Kingdom and MGM.

But I would like to point out 2 things: we were "awarded", "selected", "put whatever term you want here"...other special things throughout our stay by regular cast members. We had a very wonderful experience and it wasn't all because of a dream team.

And while I'm on my soapbox, I wish people on the boards wouldn't be so picky when a member has a typo/misprint. why can't we just be nice and read their message with the intent? To use this as an example - was I the only one who got quoted for using "picked" in reference to the dream team or did every one who used the same phrase also get corrected?

I admit I'm not an expert on Disney, I am, however, new to these boards, so is it just me?

dtootsie42
01-21-2007, 06:34 PM
And while I'm on my soapbox, I wish people on the boards wouldn't be so picky when a member has a typo/misprint. why can't we just be nice and read their message with the intent? To use this as an example - was I the only one who got quoted for using "picked" in reference to the dream team or did every one who used the same phrase also get corrected?

I admit I'm not an expert on Disney, I am, however, new to these boards, so is it just me?

Dakotamom, I'm sorry that you feel people on the boards are not nice and are picky when others make a typo/misprint. I know at times my fingers go faster than my mind and after I read what I posted I think what was I thinking?? I have found that certain subjects on the boards get people going (the dining plan is one).

I'm not an expert on Disney either but it is a place I truly love and it is the one place that my husband truly relaxes. I like going to the boards and reading comments and I have learned a lot about Disney from people who go often.

I would think that if the dream teams tried to pick based on where you lived or other stuff like that...management would have all sorts of complaints.

To those that have been lucky to win something, Congrats!!!!

Dec. 97-Contemporary
Dec. 99-Poly
2000-Disneyland
Dec. 2001-Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003-Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005-Poly Concierge
Upcoming trip
Dec. 2007-Poly Concierge

ToDisney
01-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Ya'll should check out my thoughts on the subject at Trip Reports, My post is "Dream Team???"

It pretty much sums up the disappointment that I felt with the treatment of the so called "Dream Team"

Let's just go back to the classic "Caring Cast Members"
I have a 15 and 11 year old, so I didn't remember much about ToonTown. (When we saw Mickey it was at Chef Mickey's) We had a 4 and 5 yr old with us who by late afternoon were pretty cranky and I didn't know where to find Mickey.
I grabbed a CM off the street past Minnies house and Begged "Do you know where we can find Mickey!"
Not only did he say YES but he also said he could probably find him "right away"
He Did, we waited for one family, and then we got the best pictures and the HAPPIEST two little people we had seen all afternoon!
After we left there I felt like looking for that guy and giving him a huge HUG! Now ThAT is what DREAMs are!

:blush: OOPPs I got a lil carried away:sorry:

GiltterDisneyGirl
01-22-2007, 02:40 AM
Wow, never heard of this before, but thats just odd to just leave in the middle of talking, really odd and very rude.

MNNHFLTX
01-22-2007, 08:49 AM
When I said "picked" I was using the term people use when referring to the dream team. We were in the right place at the right time. we won dream fast passes at Epcot, Animal Kingdom and MGM.

But I would like to point out 2 things: we were "awarded", "selected", "put whatever term you want here"...other special things throughout our stay by regular cast members. We had a very wonderful experience and it wasn't all because of a dream team.

And while I'm on my soapbox, I wish people on the boards wouldn't be so picky when a member has a typo/misprint. why can't we just be nice and read their message with the intent? To use this as an example - was I the only one who got quoted for using "picked" in reference to the dream team or did every one who used the same phrase also get corrected?I'm sorry if you felt like you were being corrected. I guess I had a different perception about it--I thought folks were quoting the term "picked" because you did, not because it was incorrect or a misprint or anything like that. Anyway, we welcome your contributions here on INTERCOT. :mickey:

As far as the original question about the Dream Team, from everything I've heard they are required to award prizes based on pretty specific criteria. I think it's probably a coincidence (and a shame) that they struck up a conversation with someone (twice), only to walk away. :(

Carol
01-22-2007, 09:16 AM
I thought folks were quoting the term "picked" because you did, not because it was incorrect or a misprint or anything like that.Exactly. :)

allie_to_you
01-22-2007, 09:20 AM
You know, in a lot of ways, getting selected for Dream Team giveaway is like winning the lottery. Sure, there are slightly better odds for winning a fast pass or ears, pin or whatever, but still, it's all a matter of luck, but some people get there nose so bent out of shape if they don't win something and its not even funny. I mean come on. So what if you see the dream team and you don't win something. It's not the end of the world...dissapointing maybe, but not a tragedy. Also, just because you don't get picked, you shouldn't think it's all fixed or a conspiracy against you. It's just not your lucky day. People buy lottery tickets every day but only a few people win. This is the same thing.

Marker
01-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Goodness, I guess I just don't understand how you can feel disappointed over something like that. It's not some sort of entitlement that EVERY guest should expect.

I guess in that sort of view, they shouldn't do it at all unless they are going to give something to EVERYONE. But then it wouldn't be much of surprise if they did it that way, and it certainly wouldn't be anything special.

Wouldn't it be nice if people could just be happy for those who are lucky enough to get something, instead of disppointed they didn't which sounds to me more like envy or jealousy.

Actually, if you have kids, it seems like a good learning/teaching opportunity to me about being able to be happy for the good fortune of others rather than feeling sorry for ourselves.

I'm going in March, and yes, it would be cool if I get lucky. But that's certainly not why I'm going. And actually, I'd find it cool to see some other family get something.

But that's just my opinion.

LibertyTreeGal
01-22-2007, 11:08 AM
I, for one, am loving "living vicariously" through the stories I hear of people being blessed by the Dream Team! I can almost feel those special mouse ears on my own head..

I will be going to DL and WDW this year and that is an amazing blessing in itself. Given the choice between myself staying in either the Penthouse or the Suite and some nice family who scrimped and saved for a couple of years getting it instead, well, that's not even a contest, my vacation is magical with or without the "perks!" Like the Make-a-wish kiddos getting to pull the sword out of the stone instead of my kids, that is awesome in the extreme.

I thought about the Dream Team asking about where the people were from and the first thing that occurred to me was that maybe they had a specific prize for someone from Arkansas that day and they were asking a lot of people where they were from. There are a million reasons possible.

Granny Jill A
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
My family and I just got back from 4 days at Disney, and we only saw Dream Team members once at MGM. We visited all four parks, and were there from early morning until the parks closed. We even stayed for Extra Magic Hours at EPCOT and MGM.

We did see a lot of Dream FastPasses around the necks of various tour groups from Brazil and Argentina. That would certainly foster good will with our neighbors to the south. :yay:

Maybe next time we'll get lucky. :D

GiltterDisneyGirl
01-22-2007, 07:52 PM
A friend of a friend knows one of them and this is what they said.

"No we have no choice about who gets the prize but only people from the US, Canada, Mexico, The United Kingdom, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland are eligible to win the big prizes. As far as ears, lanyards, and fastpasses go everyone wins we do not ask where they are from." -Dream Squad member

Thought this would help you out

Ladyvader
01-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi there, I am a member of the Dream Squad at WDW, and I will tell you now that you are not being searched out or judged by how you look or where you are from. And we don't go around the park loaded with prizes. Our awards are completely given out at random. We ourselves don't know where, or what will be given out until about 30 minutes before hand. Absolutely none of us have any power to give out Dream prizes on our own. If the conversations seem abrupt it could be for any number of reasons, and its only seems like it is on purpose. Most of the time we spend in the park is only in the position of "Super Greeters" we are to go out and meet as many of you wonderful guests as we can. If we feel that you are open to this kind of encounter we can visit as long as everyone likes. But if we feel we are being a bother more than a help we move on. I know for a fact I have offered to help people and they say oh no thanks I have been here tons of times. They brush me off. Most of the time locals don't really need our assistance so that could also be a reason.
I just want to make sure that everyone understands that The Dream Squad does not make the decisions of who gets what. We have no power at all but to make sure that all of our guests are assisted when they visit and they are treated as welcomed guests.
I love my job and know that I have the best job in the world. But giving out the prizes is not my favorite thing to do. My favorite thing is meeting all of the guests. So please do not jump to any conclusions, we are happy if you live across the street from Disney. We love all our guests! :mickey:

ToDisney
01-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Goodness, I guess I just don't understand how you can feel disappointed over something like that. It's not some sort of entitlement that EVERY guest should expect.

I guess in that sort of view, they shouldn't do it at all unless they are going to give something to EVERYONE. But then it wouldn't be much of surprise if they did it that way, and it certainly wouldn't be anything special.

Wouldn't it be nice if people could just be happy for those who are lucky enough to get something, instead of disppointed they didn't which sounds to me more like envy or jealousy.

Actually, if you have kids, it seems like a good learning/teaching opportunity to me about being able to be happy for the good fortune of others rather than feeling sorry for ourselves.

I'm going in March, and yes, it would be cool if I get lucky. But that's certainly not why I'm going. And actually, I'd find it cool to see some other family get something.

What did you do copy and paste from my post??
Maybe I shouldn't have taken everything so personally.
I still think you are way out of line.

j311ason
01-24-2007, 12:38 AM
hey, we have it made. We get discounts, and I get to sleep in my own bed after a long day at Disney, so discriminate against us, I dont care. Y'all that spend oodles of money deserve something extra.

besides, people need to lighten up in our society

LibertyTreeGal
01-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey Ladyvader,

Hope to meet up with you in November, whether you give me anything or not. I love meeting the CM's on our trips, my twin boys hug as many of you as they can :thumbsup: We have so many pics of our boys hugging CM's and kissing their hands, almost as many as with the characters LOL. Mostly, they see a pretty girl and go for it, and since they were 4 they get away with it.

Thanks for the job you do!

mcjaco
01-24-2007, 10:25 AM
.........what do you guys think????

One, I think you've got too much time on your hands to think about this.

Two, as someone that has to spend a more money to visit the parks from out of state, which means less frequently, I'd be happy ot hear that out of staters get preferential treatment.

Marker
01-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Ladyvader, thanks for giving us the Dream Team perspective. I appreciated hearing from that side of the story.

What did you do copy and paste from my post??
Maybe I shouldn't have taken everything so personally.
I still think you are way out of line.

As a matter of fact, I did copy my reply..... same topic, same reply...makes sense to me, and as such not directed personally at anyone, or intended to "imply" anything. Simply stating my personal opinion, no more, no less, and certainly not intended to be "way out of line".

Carol
01-24-2007, 02:51 PM
:offtopic:

MODERATOR ALERT:

The Dream Team does not do the selecting. It's a fact and not up for debate - no matter what any one person may or may not think.

We even had a member if the Dream Team chime in above with the exact protocol used in the process.

Let's move along and play nice, Folks!

MouseDAD74
01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
My family and I just returned from the parks. We stayed at Saratoga Springs for 5 days. We first encountered the Dream Squad while getting off Living with the Land. The entire boat recieved Dream Fast passes. What a gift it was. We were'nt expecting to get anything since we understood the process as being completely random. Then while walking through Frontierland my daughter was handed a free cotton candy and again she was thrilled. This was also our 3 year olds first trip being 40 inches. He rode Big Thunder Mtn, Tower of Terror, Dinosour(twice), Test Track, and Sourin, what a trip. To top it all off our 9 year opld son was picked to "drive" the radio controlled car at Lights Motors. This was by far our favorite trip to the Happiest Place on Earth :mickey: :cloud9: :D .

mousetrapper
01-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I have to agree with posters who've said just going to WDW is a dream come true!

:mickey:

A Big Kid
01-24-2007, 11:46 PM
My family and I just returned from the parks. We stayed at Saratoga Springs for 5 days. We first encountered the Dream Squad while getting off Living with the Land. The entire boat recieved Dream Fast passes. What a gift it was. We were'nt expecting to get anything since we understood the process as being completely random. Then while walking through Frontierland my daughter was handed a free cotton candy and again she was thrilled. This was also our 3 year olds first trip being 40 inches. He rode Big Thunder Mtn, Tower of Terror, Dinosour(twice), Test Track, and Sourin, what a trip. To top it all off our 9 year opld son was picked to "drive" the radio controlled car at Lights Motors. This was by far our favorite trip to the Happiest Place on Earth :mickey: :cloud9: :D .

Sandy blone hair and a black t-shirt?

Ladyvader
01-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Well I am one of those cast members that loves the hugs. In fact today was about a 6 hug day for me. There is nothing in this world like it. Tell the boys I can't wait to meet them! :mickey: Today was a wonderful day, and our first award of a night in the castle was given at my park! A family of four. And it was the 8 year old girls birthday, well I don't know about you all, but really, dreams do come true. And tonight as I say goodnight to everyone leaving Disney MGM Studios my favorite thing to say to them is "Sweet Dreams" . Folks of the forums, I know that your visits are not always positive at Disney, but I tell you now there is no other park that tries harder than Disney to make everyone's dreams come true.

Marker
01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Ladyvader - I certainly do appreciate your comments. They almost give a bit of that Disney "magic" feeling just reading them here at my desk in "wonderful" cube.

Thanks for kicking in your side of things.

WDWdriver
01-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Disney has released the criteria used to select the Fouch family from Michigan as the first family to spend the night in Cindy's castle. They were sitting in seat eight in row two of simulator four in the Star Tours ride at Disney MGM Studios at 10:00 a.m. They could have been a family from Mars and would still have won.

Ladyvader
01-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Disney has released the criteria used to select the Fouch family from Michigan as the first family to spend the night in Cindy's castle. They were sitting in seat eight in row two of simulator four in the Star Tours ride at Disney MGM Studios at 10:00 a.m. They could have been a family from Mars and would still have won.

Sorry but Martians and venusians are not eligible in the Year of a Million Dreams Celebration. However visitors from Jupiter do have to answer a math problem in order to be eligible.

LibertyTreeGal
01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Hey ladyvader,

Make sure you are working on Monday, November 26, we'll be at MGM that day and my gorgeous, blonde haired, brown eyed 6 year old twin huggers will be on the lookout for you :thumbsup:

dixielandings
01-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Ditto.

Dh and I have been a few times since the DT was deployed. We keep hoping we'll get lucky - and we keep getting light-heartedly disappointed when we don't ("Aw, c'mon!) - but we don't hold it against anybody. Hello! We're at WDW! Again! We're already having a blast!

Ladyvader
01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Ok got my arms ready for the hugs from the twins LibertyTreeGal. I look forward to meeting you all.
I can not begin to tell you how sad I get when people come up to me thinking that by just saying hello to me I will shower them with prizes. They come up and say make my dream come true. LOL. And usually my response is "unless your dream was meeting me then I have nothing to give you" each prize is limited. And we have to give out exactly that amount. And the key to the whole thing is "being in the right place at the right time", its short and simple. I tell everyone that there has never been a better time in Disney history for families to ride the rides together! Dont split up your parties just because you have been on Peter Pan before and really dont want to wait in the line. Ride the rides, go to the attractions, visit all of the things there are to do at the parks and who knows you may be our new lucky winner.

LibertyTreeGal
01-30-2007, 01:01 PM
That is a sad way to treat people so I am not surprised that it makes you sad, ladyvader. I would be appalled if I saw someone doing that! I had no idea people were treating CM's that way, but I guess now that I think about it I am not surprised.

Actually, the callousness of it all does tick me off royally. Like a CM's entire existance on earth is just to be nothing but a soda machine, dispensing dreams on demand.

I'm going to go eat something chocolate to make me feel better....

NotaGeek
01-30-2007, 01:03 PM
You know, I was the lucky winner of Dream Fast Passes last November at Disney's California Adventure. My and my friend were just walking around looking for some food and BOOM. Seriously? you would have thought I won the Power Ball! We were so excited and the best part is at Disneyland you get Fast Passes for both DCA and Disneyland! All that, and people all day kept saying "congratulations" ...

It ROCKED and completely made my day!

Ladyvader
03-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I am still having a blast on the Dream Team, and I don't think that a day goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars for the opportunity. I had a boy yell out my name and say he loves me when giving him his Dream Fast Pass. Got to say that made me laugh, and of course I did shout back, "I love you too!" I have had my picture taken with happy winners, I have had my hand shaken, and I have received so many hugs. I got to tell you this is really a job I will never ever forget.

Carlidin
03-19-2007, 02:36 PM
I would give anything live in Daytona or Orlando. Living in Missouri makes trips to WDW few and far between as well as super expensive. Consider yourself lucky if you are a Florida resident and can go often.
That being said, on our last trip to WDW we did receive lanyards and pins while exiting the stretch room in the haunted mansion. Everyone in the room got one and no one was asked where they were from. Another morning while waiting for Epcot to open we chatted with a Dream CM briefly but were not given anything nor did we expect it. One family was chosen to be the Family for the day but I don't know how they picked them. Looked random to me. I don't begrudge other people their good fortune just feel super lucky if I happen to be the recipient of something.

VickiP
03-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Look out, Ladyvader! If my 12-year-old finds you in May and you tell him you love him, he'll be your boyfriend for life! :mickey:

malip
03-20-2007, 10:48 AM
First, as a local and AP holder, I feel a little like the "King of the Castle" when someone asks me where if this is my first time at a park and I can say, "no, I am a local with annual passes." I love the look of envy that I get, especially when I tell them I am just on my lunch break killing some time. That being said, I do not feel that we locals are discriminated against nor do I believe that we deserve to be treated any different. Growing up in the north, I always wanted to come to the "world" but never got the chance. I am so glad that I can give my kids the experience over and over again. Just a thought from a local.