PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 6

Pages : [1] 2 3

Melanie
01-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Who's ready? :sing:

Fox announces early season 'American Idol 6' broadcast schedule

By Christopher Rocchio and Steve Rogers, 01/09/2007

Get out your datebooks and day planners -- Fox has announced the entire early season broadcast schedule for the sixth season of American Idol, from the outrageous auditions to when viewers cut the cast of contestants to 12.

American Idol's sixth edition will premiere on Tuesday, January 16 at 8PM ET/PT with two hours of coverage of the season's Minneapolis open auditions and continue on Wednesday, January, 17 at 8PM ET/PT with two more hours of coverage of the season's Seattle auditions. The search for America's next Idol winner will then continue with six more twice-weekly one-hour broadcasts of the season's Los Angeles, San Antonio, Birmingham, Memphis, New York City, and "Best of the Rest" auditions.

After four weeks of open auditions coverage and two more broadcasts that will chronicle the season's "Hollywood Round" callbacks, American Idol 6's Top 24 semifinalists will be revealed to America on Wednesday, February 14. Following three more weeks of thrice-weekly broadcasts that will eliminate two male and two female semifinalists each week (and also result in three new American Idol/Survivor Thursday night showdowns), Idol's twelve sixth season finalists will be revealed on Thursday, March 8. One week later, one finalist's journey will end when America's vote is revealed on Wednesday, March 14.

The following is the entire early season broadcast schedule for the sixth season of American Idol:

• Tuesday, January 16, 8-10PM ET/PT - Season Premiere Part 1, Minneapolis auditions

• Wednesday, January 17, 8-10PM ET/PT - Season Premiere Part 2, Seattle auditions

• Tuesday, January 23, 8-9PM ET/PT - Memphis auditions

• Wednesday, January 24, 9-10PM ET/PT - New York City auditions

• Tuesday, January 30, 8-9PM ET/PT - Birmingham auditions

• Wednesday, January 31, 9-10PM ET/PT - San Antonio auditions

• Tuesday, February 6, 8-9PM ET/PT - Los Angeles auditions

• Wednesday, February 7, 9-10PM ET/PT - "Rest of the Best" auditions

• Tuesday, February 13, 8-9PM ET/PT - Hollywood Round, Part 1

• Wednesday, February 14, 9-10PM ET/PT - Hollywood Round, Part 2, Top 24 semifinalists announced

• Tuesday, February 20, 8-10PM ET/PT - Top 24 male singers perform

• Wednesday, February 21, 8-10PM ET/PT - Top 24 female singers perform

• Thursday, February 22, 8-9PM ET/PT - First live results show, two male and two female semifinalists voted off

• Tuesday, February 27, 8-9:30PM ET/PT - Top 20 male singers perform

• Wednesday, February 28, 8-9:30PM ET/PT - Top 20 female singers perform

• Thursday, March 1, 8-9PM ET/PT - Second live results Show, two male and two female semifinalists voted off

• Tuesday, March 6, 8-9PM ET/PT - Top 16 male singers perform

• Wednesday, March 7, 8-9PM ET/PT - Top 16 female singers perform

• Thursday, March 8, 8-9PM ET/PT - Third live results show, two male and two female contestants voted off and Top 12 finalists revealed

• Tuesday, March 13, 8-10PM ET/PT - Top 12 finalists perform

• Wednesday, March 14, 9-9:30PM ET/PT - First finalists live results Show, one finalist voted off

From RealityTVWorld

PirateLover
01-10-2007, 02:09 AM
I think they spend absolutley way too much time focusing on auditions, especially the fact that they mainly focus on BAD auditions. Sure, they are funny, but I'd rather see the talented people. There are so many people that don't make it out of the top 24 simply because they received no prior exposure. I'm debating on whether I'll even bother watching most of the auditions this season. I remember that with all the commercials, I became soooo bored last season.

SBETigg
01-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I love the auditions. Watching the bad ones is half the fun. Unless they really get invested in themselves and truly get heartbroken. That's hard to watch. But otherwise, it's all fun for me. I get bored with the Hollywood part, then it gets dragged out too long. I skip the results shows entirely.

Jenemmy
01-10-2007, 09:13 AM
I can't wait!! I looove this show.....I so wish they would have had it when I was young enough to audition. I would probably NEVER have made it, but it would have been fun. Hmmmmm....maybe they need to start a "Geriatric Idol" for those of us over auditioning age.....

disneydrmr
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I LOVE watching the Audition shows more than the 'actual contest' shows! I am not a singer - I sing off key and am absolutely horrible so I find it funny how many people audition for the show who sing as bad or even worse than myself, but they truly believe they are good. I guess you gotta hand it to them - they have a dream and are brave enough to go for it! Anyway - I can't wait!

JanetMegan
01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Wow I can't decide if I should be glad you posted that or not!!

By my calculations that is 26 hours of my life that will be wasted before they even get to the top 10!!!

I think we are all in two classes over this, people who love auditions and people who just love the people who are good! Count me in the second class but the folks I usually watch with love the auditions so I will probably be watching it ALL...

RAIDER
01-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks for that info ...We get in the UK and its normally only a couple of days behind you guys so looking forward to it

Go SIMON ...... :thedolls:

I only hope they havent got that waste of space Paula Abdul :ack: tell me you have someone more constructive !!! ( however if its Sharon Osbourne who is just as bad and well loathed in the UK :ack: i take it back !!! :blush: )

Bethanymouse
01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks! I cant wait to start viewing! :thumbsup:

mtown71
01-11-2007, 12:02 AM
I love the auditions. Watching the bad ones is half the fun. Unless they really get invested in themselves and truly get heartbroken. That's hard to watch. But otherwise, it's all fun for me. I get bored with the Hollywood part, then it gets dragged out too long. I skip the results shows entirely.
I feel the same way! Love those auditions!

JanetMegan
01-17-2007, 11:05 AM
No comments on Idol yet? I thought it was only ok, no one really stood out to me...

disneydrmr
01-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Those auditions were quite funny! The girl who sang like the Cowardly Lion - that was a highlight! I chuckled thru the whole show! I really think if they wouldn't air the auditions or the ones who don't make it thur - I believe the numbers of people trying out would diminish. I really think most are trying out knowing they can't sing, but want their 15 minutes of fame. Looking forward to tonight's!

Disneymom4ever
01-17-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree, when I think back, I can probably think of maybe 3 that I somewhat liked. I just think they didn't have much to choose from. They said there were 10,000 auditions, and 17 moved on? Wow, not too good. But I have to ask, did anyone notice Paula? What was going on with her?! I know she takes painkillers for medical reasons, but should she really have been on the show like that? My kids even noticed. It was pretty bad.

Strmchsr
01-17-2007, 11:40 AM
No I agree. Last night was pretty lame. The "wannabees" weren't so horrible as to provide any entertainment and the ones who went on weren't good enough to make me excited. I felt they were just filling time. They need to come back to Alabama (considering, out of 5 seasons, 2 winners and 2 runners up were from Birmingham)! :thumbsup:

Jacova
01-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Hopefully the talent will get better. I don't think there was one person last night who will make it through the Hollywood round (at least no one who was featured.) Although I have to say, it was probably the funniest audition I have ever seen. Or maybe I just missed it. :blush:

sgdisney
01-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I agree that last nights contestants were pretty lame. No one stood out to me at all.

Did you catch that one dude who said he had sang at Walt Disney World? I assume he was a cash member. Randy's reply was something to the effect that no one listens to the performers there, everyone is too busy eating popcorn and looking at everything else.

DVC2004
01-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Wow. I can't believe year after year how many people think they sound good and are truly shocked when they are told they don't! Very entertaining last night to say the least.

poeticeclipse
01-17-2007, 12:33 PM
I really don't think that anyone was good enough to go through. Some people were "okay" but needed work on learning how to control their voice in one way or another.

I'm really getting sick of seeing the "bad" people. They spend too long on one person singing. They need to edit it so we only have to listen to the bad people for a little while.

I love seeing Jewel on the show! I've seen her in concert before and she's wonderful. She's the person that inspired me to learn how to play guitar. Sadly, i'm still not very good. :)

Momof2boys
01-17-2007, 01:44 PM
The auditions is what got us watching AI to begin with. (I think it was the third season)

I can't sing a note but I LOVE to sing . . . I think most of these people have the same problem. Although I have to say that even I sound better than some of those people last night.

I didn't think that girl whose boss flew her in was too bad. The Lion Girl was hilarious !

offwego
01-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm another one who only watches the auditions. But have to admit it's hard to keep watching people who can't sing say they've spent serious dollars on training for singing.

2Epcot
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Some of these people auditioning for the show have either got to be putting us on OR are totally deluded.

I think that as well. I told my wife I think some of the people, especially those who get in costumes know that this will get them on TV, and that is all they are trying to do.

As far as the contestants who got through not being very good last night ... we've only seen the first night. This is a TV show, so we probably are not seeing the audition cities in the order they visited them. So if a city has better people, they could save that to show us on later shows.

PirateLover
01-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I thought they sent a lot of mediocre talent through, and ragged on some people who didn't really deserve it, like the vocal coach who performed at Disney. This Disney-bashing has been a consistant part of American Idol over time and it just shows they don't know what they are talking about. Disney performers are very talented. Jennifer Hudson used to perform on a Disney Cruise line and look at her now. I do get some entertainment out of funny auditions but for the most part I'd much prefer to hear people who can actually sing!!! You know there are multiple rounds of auditioning? It is a disgrace that they put so many of these people through to see Simon, Randy, and Miss Drunkard oops I mean Paula, in place of some people who are probably more talented but not as interesting.

Paula needs to be fired. She was hanging over the table half the time and barely said anything. When she did speak it was pointless. She did a round of press the other morning and in 3 seperate interviews she seemed completely wasted/strung out. She claims that it was because she was hearing 3 stations in her ear at once and was getting confused and disoriented, but that doesn't cause you to move all around, tilt your head to the side, incessantly wink at people and slur your speech. That woman needs help.

DVC2004
01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Paula needs to be fired. She was hanging over the table half the time and barely said anything. When she did speak it was pointless. She did a round of press the other morning and in 3 seperate interviews she seemed completely wasted/strung out. She claims that it was because she was hearing 3 stations in her ear at once and was getting confused and disoriented, but that doesn't cause you to move all around, tilt your head to the side, incessantly wink at people and slur your speech. That woman needs help.

I agree. She looked and acted a total mess. It was so obvious last night that she was drunk. I never understood why she is even on that show. I never thought she was that good of a singer to begin with.

LibertyTreeGal
01-17-2007, 07:07 PM
About the "Disney" vocal coach -- as a singer (not American Idol material, that's for sure) -- I actually agreed with the judges. He had very little vocal control, which people generally cover up with a lot of vibrato. He wasn't awful though, Randy, in general, was just plain mean, almost like he and Simon had a brain swap. But the vocal coach couldn't have made it far, any more so than the guy who sang everything in a hoarse voice (but you have to admire that kid, going and learning an Abba song so quickly :thumbsup: )

I felt sorry for the first gal whose idol was Jewel. She seemed like a sweet thing. Didn't feel too bad for the juggler, wow, I can't believe he was using that language in front of his mom -- mine would have washed my mouth out with lye soap, and THEN I would have been punished.

DH was ticked at all those vocal coaches who kept collecting paychecks by telling tone deaf singers that they were good, and then the poor deluded people ended up on National TV. Good grief, tone deaf people cannot hear what they are singing is wrong, why couldn't someone have had the decency to stop them before they got slammed on television. Not so sure I can continue to watch the auditions.

BUT, loved that young woman who was born a crack baby, the 16 year old boy, and the navy guy. I want to adopt the 16 year old, he's so precious!

poeticeclipse
01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
A friend of mine in Texas has a friend who is seriously AMAZING. He's 16 and has rare talent for his age. I've done musical theater my life so i'm a pretty good judge (I think). It frustrates me that they let these people go on to believe that they are good. They put them through the first two auditions and then they get to the "tv" section w/ the "famous" judges and they have their hopes up only to realize in the end that they were one of the "joke" talents.

Melanie
01-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Seattle stunk! :down:

I liked the brother and sister, and that's about it.

DVC2004
01-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I thought the brother and sister were good. I don't know why they weren't that impressed with her- I thought she had a lovely voice. Maybe if she had picked a pop song.

But oh boy- I can't believe how long they let some of them go on. Tha Zitsman guy who sang Unchained Melody- really that was unnecessary how long they let him go.

mamacon67
01-18-2007, 08:41 AM
But oh boy- I can't believe how long they let some of them go on. Tha Zitsman guy who sang Unchained Melody- really that was unnecessary how long they let him go.

I actually found myself cringing and covering my face out of embarrassment for him.

It seems like maybe Simon is a little softer on some of the contestants this year. Not the ones that are "way out there" but some of the ones that really have their hearts set on it, but come up just short. I felt so bad for the young girl the first night who idolized Jewel, she seemed so sweet and it just broke my heart the way she broke down.

MNNHFLTX
01-18-2007, 09:43 AM
I usually only watch bits and pieces of the auditions, because I end up feeling bad for so many of the contestants. However, because I am originally from Minnesota I watched the whole show on Tuesday. They sure pushed how terrible the auditions were, didn't they? The "Minneapolis Curse"--puh-leeze! And I did not like having Jewel as a guest judge; I don't really care for her anyway and don't think they should pull in guest judges for the auditions--it just seems unnecessary.

I did watch part of last night's show too and thought that Jordan (the 16 year old with curly hair) was very good. I do cringe at how rude the judges are being in their remarks this year, even Paula. In fact, Randy has probably been kindest so far.

Disneymom4ever
01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Wow.... last night was just plain bad! I was excited to see what Seattle had to offer, being we just moved here to NC from there. My kids were telling kids at their school how great Seattle was going to be. They aren't saying a word today! I actually was quite entertained. I still say the Lion from Wizard of Oz was the best so far, I'm still laughing about that one! :D

Momof2boys
01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I thought the brother was much better than the sister - I think if he would've went first she might not have gotten her ticket. I liked the guy who did Open Arms towards the end. But that lady with her mom was too much !

I just love Simon :blush:

offwego
01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Does anyone know anthing abotu how or why they were all singing doncha?

Was that in front of the judges or sep. or what?

Cause it was just way to weird if you ask me. There's no way that would be a natural pick for that many poor singers.

and the lady with her mom was just well..I don't even know what that was.

poeticeclipse
01-18-2007, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I think I might know something. My friend who went to the auditions informed me that in the first round everyone in the arena learns one song and performs it for the first set of judges in the middle of the arena floor. They choose who goes on to the 2nd round of another panel of judges the next day. Then the day after that, those who got chosen come back to be judged by the "Famous 3." I'm thinking that maybe they had each person sing a bit of the song that they were required to learn from round one during the round three process just so they could film it and use it. I find it dumb and not funny at all. But, it is American Idol. I really hate how they show SO MANY of the bads and not enough goods. This is definitely no first season. ahh... Kelly Clarkson... the best thing to come out of any reality tv show. And I met her! whooo hoo!! :thumbsup:

disneydrmr
01-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Hmmm.... what a night last night was. First... to me Randy has gotten meaner. In fact, all three of them have. Seasons past they at least acted like they were listening and tried to hide their laughter. This season they are being very blatent with their laughter. And the meanness of their remarks too has raised. I can see being mean to the ones who are obvious in their attempts just to be on tv - but then you have the ones who are sincere in their hopes to be singers - I don't believe you should be crushing their dreams and hopes. I agree about that daughter with her mother... very scary! And the look on the judges faces as they both entered the room was priceless! I liked the brother and sister - both had good voices - and I agree with Simon - I think the brother was better. and the guy who sang Open Arms - he had a great voice!

2Epcot
01-18-2007, 01:22 PM

They did that on the first night with another song. Something new they are doing this year so they can put together a montage of all the bad singers. My guess is they probably have them do that first, before they sing their own song. That part is just edited out, so it goes from the introduction to them starting to sing. I guess it works OK. At least the producers are trying to keep the show a little fresh.

Stich8818
01-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Last night was just surreal I was waiting for the Twilight Zone Music to start playing..DW brought up a great point...How big of a headache do you think that Randy,Paula and Simon get after auditions for a day? Not only that but why do people always say that Simon does not know talent..the guy is an genius at this stuff he helped create Idol and how many stars are there now because of this show?..I agree with the other posters..Paula really should not be there...she just makes them feel better about themsleves after Simon and Randy shoot them down..

Anybody else think that guy looked like Golum from Lord Of the Rings instead of a monkey?

Jenemmy
01-18-2007, 02:01 PM
They did that on the first night with another song. Something new they are doing this year so they can put together a montage of all the bad singers. My guess is they probably have them do that first, before they sing their own song. That part is just edited out, so it goes from the introduction to them starting to sing. I guess it works OK. At least the producers are trying to keep the show a little fresh.

Last year I read a blog from someone who tried out for AI and didn't make it. Sounded to me like they go through several singing auditions before they ever get to the judges we know (and love??). If memory serves, they were to come with their own song or two, but the producers also told them a couple to try. That is probably where they get footage of all the people singing the same song. The judges, of course, don't see anywhere NEAR all the people that actually turn out for the event. I mean, didn't they say 9,000 people showed up in Seattle?? Can you imagine sitting through all of them! I would be sitting in a corner sucking my thumb!!

NotaGeek
01-18-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't personally think it's entretainment value to telling someone that their physical traits make them look like an ugly monkey. Last night was a low point for the show, it's embarrassing that people put themselves in the position of being mocked and I think it's in bad character that the judges can be so completely cruel. :shake:

I would rather NOT watch this season until they get to the actual show.

PirateLover
01-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Randy definitely got meaner. In regards to the song that they all sing, it is NOT done in front of the judges. The judges reactions are from other auditions and are spliced in. This is also not the first year it was done. I didn't pay attention this year, but I noticed last year that a girl who had just auditioned in front of the judges was wearing a different outfit in the "group song." And here's another clue...The girl who looked like her mother was shown in the "Doncha" clip saying "I don't know this song well" or something like that, so I'm wondering if they then convinced her to sing that song for the juges later? I'm really past the point of the cruelty now, it's so sad. The thing with Simon calling the boy a monkey was mean to say out loud, but I'm ashamed to say that I thought the same thing. I just have the decency to keep it to myself. And I really really felt bad for the other kid who befriended him. He seemed so innocent and sincere. At least they were nice to him. So far I haven't seen anyone that I'd want to spend my time voting for.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
01-19-2007, 01:26 AM
I don't personally think it's entretainment value to telling someone that their physical traits make them look like an ugly monkey. Last night was a low point for the show, it's embarrassing that people put themselves in the position of being mocked and I think it's in bad character that the judges can be so completely cruel. :shake:

I would rather NOT watch this season until they get to the actual show.
Couldn't agree with NotAGeek more on this. It takes enormous strength to get up to perform for a an audiece of people on a stage. I know, I have been there done that. I did it on a much smaller scale. (Performing in the State of Michigan's honor's choir two years in a row as well as many smaller ensembles and choirs)

I think it is a sad state of entertainment in this country that "we" continue to watch programs such as this one. I honestly have never watched an entire show or purchased an "Idol's" album.

I'd rather be entertained by watching Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Heroes, Studio 60 or Ugly Betty. Save scripted programming!

Even though they sign waivers allowing their footage to be aired, I think they (AI) should have to pay the therapy bills of these individuals that they shatter.

Stepping off the :soapbox: now

Momof2boys
01-19-2007, 02:50 PM
With this being the 6th season of AI I would think that those people going to the audtions KNOW what to expect . . . to be made fun of. It's not like this is a new show and people are going in blind to the audition. I would never audition for a show I knew nothing about because you just never know. My thoughts are those people go in wanting to get on TV - and that the weirder they are and the worse they sing will get them their 15 seconds of fame. Remember William Hung ? Everyone wants to be "famous" these days and with reality TV it's easier for people to get on the air. And obviously they'll go to any length to ensure it.

Do you really think that these parents/spouses/bosses really think these people CAN sing ? All these people say "Oh yeah, my friends tell me I sound great" -- HELLO, then they're not your real friends. People cannot really be that stupid . . . can they ? ? ?

LibertyTreeGal
01-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Do you really think that these parents/spouses/bosses really think these people CAN sing ? All these people say "Oh yeah, my friends tell me I sound great" -- HELLO, then they're not your real friends. People cannot really be that stupid . . . can they ? ? ?

Well, actually, yeah. I used to bring in a karaoke machine to our local behavioral unit (mostly young people who have had strokes or are suffering from some sort of mental disorder) and had lots of fun watching these guys have fun with it. And they were, every single one of them, awful, but that isn't the problem because hey, we were having one heckuva time. BUT, there was a nurse there who took great pride in her singing voice. Okay, lemme tell ya, she was as bad as any of those idol hopefuls could ever want to be. The poor woman was completely tone deaf, but her friends had always told her how wonderful her singing was. The other nurses would quickly vacate the room once she took over the mic. Hearing her howl out Bryan Adam's "Everything I do ...." was unreal and she was completely unaware of how she sounded. *sigh*

In general, friends would rather lie than be honest, and that can be excused up until the point where your buddy decides to go on national tv and then you'd better fess up!

LibertyTreeGal
01-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey ya'll -- Fidel Castro is one heckuva singer! I couldn't believe it! I really liked him. I wonder what they will do with his look.

But I couldn't understand why the judges didn't like the way the new dad started out his songs. Man, I closed my eyes and I was melting on the second one..............

PirateLover
01-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Fidel was alright. And I did see where they were coming from with the dad. I thought he started out pretty bad as well. It just had an odd sound. But with a little bit of training he could go a long way. I really liked Sundance Head. And I actually thought Frank N Beans was better than some of the people they've sent through in other cities. Was not a big fan of the blond whom Simon and Paula sent through but Randy did not like.

LibertyTreeGal
01-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Sundance Head was the name of the son of the guy who had that hit song, right? He had some serious pipes.

Melanie
01-24-2007, 06:08 AM
I don't understand why the first guy (cheerleader) didn't make it through to Hollywood. I thought he was good. :shrug:

Advnt05
01-24-2007, 07:45 AM
My wife liked the cheerleader guy as well. I was a bigger fan of Sundance myself. The blonde was only so-so to me. The new dad I did not care for personally. He was better on the second song than the first one. This is one instance I think that they empathy vote got him through to the next round. I missed Fidel so can't comment on it.

Best line "my confidentiality is high".

JanetMegan
01-24-2007, 07:49 AM
That blonde had the worst haircut I have ever seen...

Rock on Sundance ;)

murphy1
01-24-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't understand why the first guy (cheerleader) didn't make it through to Hollywood. I thought he was good. :shrug:

Totally agree! I thought the funniest one last night was the one who kept saying how sexy she was and her boobs were flopping everywhere! The blonde had a good voice and a different look. The "homeless" guy looked like one of the Kentucky Headhunters. I might start watching this season.

poeticeclipse
01-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Here's my recap. There were two standout singers. And one standout person overall. Sundance Head was great. He had a great voice that is. But his personality is needing improvement. He's way to cocky for my taste. That's the biggest turn off to me and when he said that he was going to blow them away because they'd never heard anything like him before I was really bummed with his attitude.

My standout performer and top contestant as of now is "homeless Jesus," Sean. Sean is great! I loved everything about him. He has a great voice and he killed the song because he changed it to make it his own. His body language was wonderful and that has a lot to do with it. Can't wait to see more of him!

murphy1
01-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I think the backup singer was really good too and very nice, I hope she keeps going.

janebanks
01-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Blond Girl with Truly Bad Haircut = nope
Backup Singer Girl = yep - my favorite so far
Fidel Castro = yep
Sundance = yep
New Dad = nope

can't remember anyone else at the moment...

offwego
01-24-2007, 11:41 AM
A much bigger group of good singers. and or a smaller focus on lousy ones.

I really enjoyed the Sundance Head and the brand new dad.

I thought the blond for 18 had a great deal of confidence to her voice.

But some of the clothes on some of these people are just wild! The girl who thought she was conservative in the dress with the cutouts? I must have missed a memo on what conservative dress looks like now.

JanetMegan
01-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Homeless Jesus guy=the guy who also looked exactly like Fidel Castro!

murphy1
01-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Homeless Jesus guy=the guy who also looked exactly like Fidel Castro!

Also= Kentucky Headhunter ( a band from the 90's)

murphy1
01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Wow, Jenry! I can't believe he is only 16! He was mature and could really sing. He was so cute too. I think he might go far.

Melanie
01-25-2007, 07:51 AM
The two girls, Ashanti and Sarah, were utterly ridiculous. That was embarrassing.

I really liked some of the guys tonight, and hope that guy who forgot the 'Buttercup' lyrics last year can do better this year.

LibertyTreeGal
01-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Wow, Jenry! I can't believe he is only 16! He was mature and could really sing. He was so cute too. I think he might go far.

Yeah, as Paula said, VERY easy on the eyes. How come when I was 16 none of the boys looked like him???????

He was my fave from last night. Didn't care enormously much for the girl from Ohio who had run off from home. She had a nice little voice, but didn't really blow me over like Jenry.

Did anyone like the "boot camp" girl? I was painting my laundry room while listening, and I just wasn't impressed. I wonder if she will be able to sing anything else or if she is very limited vocally....

The judges seemed much nicer tonight than last week.

murphy1
01-25-2007, 09:43 AM
I liked the girl(Jory?) with long curly hair too, she was so talented!

handmaidenofprincesses
01-25-2007, 09:52 AM
what bothers me is that each of those people that are absolutely horrible take away the spot of someone who could make it. I have a really good friend who's an amazing singer.. he's been in so many plays and he's had solos since he was a little kid.. he made it to the second round of auditions, but they cut him off before he got to see the final three. even if he wouldn't have made it, he was really hoping to see the three of them and get their input, because he really respects them all. but instead, they put some idiot who thinks singing is just speaking with elongated words or someone who tries to hit notes only dogs are meant to hear. idk, it just upsets me...it doesn't make sense! its almost like it starts off as a non-talent search rather than the other way around! :confused:

LibertyTreeGal
01-25-2007, 12:00 PM
what bothers me is that each of those people that are absolutely horrible take away the spot of someone who could make it. I have a really good friend who's an amazing singer.. he's been in so many plays and he's had solos since he was a little kid.. he made it to the second round of auditions, but they cut him off before he got to see the final three. even if he wouldn't have made it, he was really hoping to see the three of them and get their input, because he really respects them all. but instead, they put some idiot who thinks singing is just speaking with elongated words or someone who tries to hit notes only dogs are meant to hear. idk, it just upsets me...it doesn't make sense! its almost like it starts off as a non-talent search rather than the other way around! :confused:

That's because there are more people in the audience that enjoy watching people get ridiculed than there are that actually want to see the good singers audition. I could do without seeing the people they send in for the sole purpose of ridicule, and I would love to see more people who are borderline, not bad but not star quality either.

That one guy, Ian (I think, he had it on his shirt), I was in actual pain watching him perform. You know, the one who said Simon had no right to judge him since he wasn't an American.... I notice they mostly like to send people through who it is hard to feel sorry for.

PirateLover
01-25-2007, 12:10 PM
I think the crying girl who skipped school had some issues. Her voice was OK but she was put through mainly because of the tears and her story I think. Her dad didn't seem like that bad of a guy on the phone. He said it was wonderful and that he loved her and to get home safely. That doesn't sound like someone who you should be afraid of.... She could turn out to be a drama queen in Hollywood round. We will see. I like that they are showing more good singers. Thank God!

magicofdisney
01-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Best line "my confidentiality is high".
:thumbsup:

PirateLover
01-31-2007, 09:51 PM
I had to come on and post... Sherman has me sobbing right now. That was so amazingly touching. I'm glad they gave him that chance and I know his "lady" is smiling down on him from above. :angel:

Melanie
02-01-2007, 06:23 AM
I guess this may be the year for background singers. Suprising we haven't seen more of that in the past.

Tonight was kind of a snoozer. Did Olivia Newton John say more than two words? Kinda a waste, IMO.

Sherman's story was indeed touching though. :cry:

LibertyTreeGal
02-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Oh darn, sounds like I missed the best part! I ran from the room after the one girl got down on her hands and knees begging. 16 years of voice lessons, wow. That plus "Panther" was more than I could handle, so we did our Hooked on Phonics lessons -- it was far more entertaining.

MNNHFLTX
02-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Oh darn, sounds like I missed the best part! I ran from the room after the one girl got down on her hands and knees begging. 16 years of voice lessons, wow.
I know--makes you feel like some of these vocal coaches are stealing from their clients by giving them lessons for so many years, without telling them how bad they are. There was also the contestant, bumped off in either Minnesota or Seattle, who claimed that her major in college was vocal performance. Totally mind-boggling.

2Epcot
02-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I guess this may be the year for background singers. Suprising we haven't seen more of that in the past.

I agree. It is nice to see some of these people who have been in the background for famous singers like Christina Aguilera, finally get their chance in the spotlight. They've had some great voices.

I also find it kind of funny when they do the intro piece on a contestant talking about all the training they've had, and it's a dream they've been working on all their life, and they get up there and can't sing a note. That happened last night. I thought, oh she should be good ... and no. It seems like these folks need more honest friends and family.

PirateLover
02-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Oh darn, sounds like I missed the best part! I ran from the room after the one girl got down on her hands and knees begging. 16 years of voice lessons, wow. That plus "Panther" was more than I could handle, so we did our Hooked on Phonics lessons -- it was far more entertaining.
Sherman was the 64 year old guy in the previews that made Paula cry. He said that his "lady" of 20 years had cancer and that she encouraged him to get a petition to be able to audition for American Idol. He got 300 signatures and they let him go before the judges. Turns out his lady passed away only a few days before. He sang "You Belong To Me" and it was just absolutely touching. Afterwards the judges shook his hand/hugged him and thanked him for coming. He then declared that he had won.

Stich8818
02-02-2007, 04:17 PM
To Simon,Randy and Paula for giving Sherman the chance to sing and tell his touching story. They were total class on that one..

PirateLover
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Sherman was on Larry King Live the other night. Here is an excerpt from the transcripts:
She helped me cook it up. About three weeks before I lost her, I found a little blurb in the newspaper that said “American Idol” was getting ready to audition. And she had been pushing me for years to do something with my singing. I would come home every night singing love songs to her.

I promised her I would [go through with the audition]. She asked me no matter what happened to her, she asked me to promise that I would go ahead with my singing and share it with as many people as possible, because I had done it for her so often.

She had ovarian cancer that metastasized everywhere. It moved pretty fast, and, you know, I used to call her at work and sing a love song to her every now and then. And one day I called her and I forgot to ask the — ask for her extension number before I started singing. About halfway through the song, the operator says, “who is this? Who is this?” And I finished the song and said, “you have just been serenaded by the phantom crooner.” Just got around the office and she laughed about it, but she didn’t tell anybody. She came home and told me that night.

Few days later, she called me and says, Karen is having a rough day today. This is her extension number. Would you call her and give her a — and she told me that night that this turned Karen’s day around. So every now and then, she would call me and I would fix somebody’s day.

Melanie
02-07-2007, 08:27 AM
I have wondered about those stupid doors all season long. Too funny that they did a segment on them. Why don't they just unlock the left one?!?!?

I liked those two cousins. The first one was just too funny and I was shocked that the other one could actually sing.

One more audition show, and we're finally off to Hollywood! :sing:

LibertyTreeGal
02-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Oh, the doors -- I figure they leave one locked just for fun.

I liked the cousins too, but nobody blew my socks off last night -- the ones picked were just okay. The one lady they called back was very, very pretty in a very unusual way. She had a very regal beauty, I guess. I looked at her and said to myself, "Oh my goodness, I could see that girl in full Egyptian splendour floating on a boat down the Nile 2000 years ago."

JanetMegan
02-07-2007, 09:03 AM
My favorite last night was the guy who sang last and sang "Cupid" He seemed like fun and had a good voice to boot. Thank goodness the auditions are almost OVER!

PirateLover
02-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Anyone notice that "Cupid" dude sang 2 different songs? They are both Sam Cooke tunes and do sound similar but I found it funny. I liked him though.

And LibertyTreeGal, the girl that was called back reminded me a lot of Christina Christian from season 1 if you watched it back then.

citizensnoopy
02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
And LibertyTreeGal, the girl that was called back reminded me a lot of Christina Christian from season 1 if you watched it back then.

I was thinking the same thing! I really liked this girl's voice, but her lip movements were driving me crazy. I know this sounds mean, but it looked like she was snarling.

N.W.Girl
02-08-2007, 12:55 AM
I've already seen a few that I think could win. And they havent even showed them all. Im excited for next week.
Im bad. Im such a reality show freak. Survivor (the host Jeff), Big Brother (summer time)Amazing race (probably cuz I like to travel) The Beauty and the Geek (better than I thought it would be) Even this Grease one "Youre the one that I want".( I love John travolta...who can live up to him? )
Well gotta go, LOST is on.

Melanie
02-08-2007, 07:56 AM
So no rockers this year?

Melanie
02-08-2007, 09:29 AM
So much for the one cousin from the other night.

From People.com:

Akron Watson: Idol Producers Knew About My Past

By Jed Dreben

On Tuesday night, Idol viewers watched Dallas-born Akron Watson score a golden ticket to Hollywood after singing Sam Cooke's "Change is Gonna Come" and Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On." But on Wednesday, news reports emerged that Watson was told three months after his audition by Idol producers that he was no longer invited to participate in the competition. So, what happened?

The 23-year-old Dallas-born singer claims that on Nov. 9, two days before he was set to leave for Los Angeles (with a hotel itinerary in hand), he received a phone call telling him not to come. "From that point I asked why?" Watson tells PEOPLE "(The producer) said he didn't have a reason. He didn't know why. He said that his bosses don't divulge that information to him."

TMZ reported on Wednesday that it was a prior misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge from 2003 that got him ousted from the competition, based on a story in local Dallas-Fort Worth newspaper Pegasus News.

But Watson insists that before auditioning for Idol, he told producers about his past. "I was completely open about my background, any trouble I had been in, my medical history – everything!" he tells PEOPLE. "They ask all that information before you audition." (The FOX network had no comment on the reason Watson was told he wouldn't be going to Hollywood after all.)

Watson, who's now a full-time student at Collin County Community College in Texas, isn't giving up on his Idol dreams. He's created his own MySpace page to garner support for his story – and is asking people to sign a petition to help him get another shot at going on the show.

"I earned my way in, and you knew about my background, I have no clue why you wouldn't let me go and perform," insists Watson. "It seems like I deserve that opportunity. I still want to know why it is I've been cut. And I still want the opportunity to be on American Idol."

Marker
02-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Ok, this time my rant is concerning the behavior I've seen exhibited on American Idol. Specifically the auditions of people who don't sing well, or dare I say sing badly.

Have they not listened to themselves? Do they really believe they are THAT good. Then to top it off, they refuse to accept the opinions of the judge and insist on having a temper tantrum. Do they really believe that this behavior will somehow do more for them other than making them look totally foolish on national TV. I understand that a certain portion are there to do just that, to have their moment on national TV. But it's the ones who seriously seem to think they're good, and then cry, scream, insult and whatever other bad behavior they can muster that confounds me.

Have they no sense of dignity and self respect?

Just wondering.

DizNee143
02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
i think some of the people who go on American Idol really think they are that good at singing (i dont really know though, i personally think the show is lame)..but in reality they just stink...but to themselves they seem like they are the greatest singer in the world..
just like anything else in the world..you yourself might think your great at this one thing when again in reality you really stink...but to yourself you think your the greatest...
i think its called having faith in yourself and being positive that makes these people think they can do it...:)

SBETigg
02-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I think it's very hard for people to face the truth about themselves, particularly when it goes against something they so badly want to believe. Better to believe that others are mistaken, and judges do make the occasional mistake.

Can you imagine doing that at a job interview? Groveling, begging, insisting that you are right for the job, and then turning on the interviewer and insulting his or her judgment?

jkj1224
02-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I guess from their point of view if you really thought you were that good at something and had invested a lot of time and money in like lessons and flying to an audition you would be pretty emotional....not that that means their behavior is excusable.

I wonder more why their family and friends never tell them they aren't that good. I would hope before I went on tv and embarassed myself my friends would stop me.:confused:

DVC2004
02-09-2007, 04:10 PM
I think it's pretty common. Many people think they dress well, look good, have great taste or style, etc.
However I agree in that I am surprised at how many that go on that show are truly shocked when they are told they are no good. Also too it seems many get encouragement from so-called friends- who probably are mean spirited in encouraging them to go on Idol and make a fool out of themselves.

The Bookseller
02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
There's also the ego problem. There's some persons out there who will do anything to get on TV. With the success of William Hung, one of the lousiest signer I hever heard, we can ask ourself if the contenders at the show are just ill-informed.

I don't watch that "Reality-TV" junk anymore except some renovation show. Right now, I love a show called "Holmes on Homes" witch is the story of a contractor fixing homes. It is of a better taste.

thrillme
02-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I know I sound just like Christina Aguliar when I'm alone in the car. It's amazing how a "recorder" totally changes my MAGNIFICANT voice to closer to Kermit the Frog.

Go figure. I think good or bad everybody's going for their 5 minutes of fame even if they get "Gonged" (uh...that's a statement for those of you who are old enough to remember the "Gong Show"). A little "American Idolish" but they "stopped" them before your ears started to bleed.

WDWhuny
02-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Doesn't every church have someone who wants to sing solos who just sings terribly? They always try out for every part and sign up to sing whenever possible, much to the dismay of the congregation. I know we have two of them at my church. It is like nails on the chalk board. But, they love to sing and they think they can. Who will be the first person to stand up and tell them, "that was the worst hymn I have ever heard!" After years go by and no one tells them how awful they are they believe they can sing! These people are many of the "future" failures of American Idol. I guess I am guilty of not telling horrible singers they have no talent, but it does give them joy.

N.W.Girl
02-10-2007, 12:54 AM
ok. But what about those times when they are showing different people singing the same song (where one will sing and then the next person continues with the next line then the next...) well. Ive noticed that some of them I had just seen their audition and they didnt sing that song sooooo...either they ask them to sing atleast some of the song and then edit it for the show or they ask them to come back and do it. Then that would mean that after they just totally ridiculed them, they ask them to come back and sing? mmmmm.

2Epcot
02-10-2007, 01:35 AM
ok. But what about those times when they are showing different people singing the same song (where one will sing and then the next person continues with the next line then the next...) well. Ive noticed that some of them I had just seen their audition and they didnt sing that song sooooo...either they ask them to sing atleast some of the song and then edit it for the show or they ask them to come back and do it. Then that would mean that after they just totally ridiculed them, they ask them to come back and sing? mmmmm.

I believe they sing the song before they do their own audition. They would not come back and sing after they've been told how bad they were. We see them enter the audition with the judges, but not the part where they sing the song they all are told to learn during the earlier audition process ... That part is edited out, and saved for the later "bad singers" montage.

JanetMegan
02-13-2007, 08:04 AM
I heard a slight spoiler about one of the contestants this morning, thought I would post it in spoiler mode since #1-It might ruin something for someone and #2-I have no idea if it is true...

I heard the guy who looked like a cross between Jesus and Fidel Castro had quit the show because they told him he had to cut his hair and he refused. Now the reason I'm not so sure about this is they didn't make Taylor color his hair or anything so why would they force someone to change their look?

jedigrrrl
02-14-2007, 08:25 AM
I am a big fan of American Idol. And, while I love a bad audition as much as the next guy, I am sick and tired of the complete focus on terrible, BORING auditions this year!! And to make matters worse, not only are we subjected to stupid, idiotic people, now we have to hear their backstories, too.

I liked it when they included just as many great singers as they did bad singers, that way I had people to root for as they went into Hollywood and the semi-finals.

And, speaking of Hollywood . . . Last night's Hollywood episode was THE WORST EVER!! We didn't get to hear anyone sing. Again, they mostly showed the bad singers. By this time in the competition, I have some favorites, but, this year, I have no idea who's good because THEY DON'T SHOW THEM SING. How Frustrating!! Hollywood is usually my favorite part, but yesterday and probably today was completely terrible and makes me want to stop watching.

What do you all think?

JanetMegan
02-14-2007, 08:31 AM
I on the other hand loved last night's episode, finally after suffering through the auditions ;) That one group of guys was FAB-U-LOUS! Couldn't believe they had only worked on that one day. Some of the girls on the other hand were not only awful singers, but spiteful and mean to boot! Did anyone notice if the very tall girl on roller skates made it through last night? I didn't see her at all.

Melanie
02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm with Simon, as I'm not feeling Sundance Head at all. But I must have missed it. Did he make it through tonight?

Jeff
02-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Did anyone notice if the very tall girl on roller skates made it through last night? I didn't see her at all.

Wasn't she one of the "two friends" they were focusing on. I thought it was her - if so, she made it and the other roller girl did not.

Melanie
02-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Wasn't she one of the "two friends" they were focusing on. I thought it was her - if so, she made it and the other roller girl did not.

No, not the same set of friends.

I didn't see her, Janet. :shrug:

JanetMegan
02-14-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm with Simon, as I'm not feeling Sundance Head at all. But I must have missed it. Did he make it through tonight?

Yes but I'm not sure why, he pretty much stunk last night.

Melanie
02-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Yes but I'm not sure why, he pretty much stunk last night.

Hmmm.

And I should have said last night. :doh: It's my tonight, your last night. Sorry!

MNNHFLTX
02-14-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm with Simon, as I'm not feeling Sundance Head at all. But I must have missed it. Did he make it through tonight?Yes, he made it through, although I don't know how. He sang a lot better during the auditions.

One singer they barely touched on but that I think might go far is Marisa Rhodes--she has got a power-house voice. She was in the group of four with the girl from South Florida that was out of tune and sent home.

Jimenyfan
02-14-2007, 09:27 AM
I on the other hand loved last night's episode, finally after suffering through the auditions ;) That one group of guys was FAB-U-LOUS! Couldn't believe they had only worked on that one day. Some of the girls on the other hand were not only awful singers, but spiteful and mean to boot! Did anyone notice if the very tall girl on roller skates made it through last night? I didn't see her at all.

I completely agree with you on that one group of guys, they were awesome. Chris Sligh is from right here in greenville. I will say that I felt bad for the guy and girl who both said they finally made there parents proud. I turned and looked at both of my boys and before I could get a word out my older son(14) said I know mom, your already proud of us.

jedigrrrl
02-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Again, They should have shown MORE good performances. Not just the ONE good group of guys. Hollywood is over tonight and we barely saw any of it. They cut it down waaaayy too much!!!:down: :down: :down:

NotaGeek
02-14-2007, 07:08 PM
WOW. I watched last night as this is when I normally join in on the action, and I agree, the editing left A LOT to be desired. I think the 1st Hollywood night is usually 2 hours ... or am I crazy? It seems that they are really really editing for sensationalism this year. Not sure I will make it to the end, no one has really touched me.

AND how can they not know that if you don't know the words on the Hollywood episodes you get cut? That's a gimme for the a singer ... know the words!

Melanie
02-14-2007, 07:15 PM
AND how can they not know that if you don't know the words on the Hollywood episodes you get cut? That's a gimme for the a singer ... know the words!

I know, Michael! Unbelievable. I thought that Bailey Brown (is that her name?) had some potential, and I felt sorry for her in that group with the friends, but she blew it. Can't get by on being cutesy forever!

I still like the brother, from the brother/sister at the end. That was sad, and I can't imagine how hard that is as a parent. I do hope he does well though. Of course, with that crazy editing, we didn't even get to see him sing last night, did we?

jedigrrrl
02-14-2007, 07:23 PM
ALSO, i forgot to mention in my previous post....
Last night, one of the girls eliminated was ROBIN TROUP. She just won the contest to perform with Justin Timberlake at the Grammys last Sunday! She was GREAT with Justin(and T.I.)!! Her voice and performance were awesome.

When her name popped up on the scream I yelled, "HEEEEY!!!!"

jedigrrrl
02-14-2007, 07:31 PM
I still like the brother, from the brother/sister at the end. That was sad, and I can't imagine how hard that is as a parent. I do hope he does well though. Of course, with that crazy editing, we didn't even get to see him sing last night, did we?

NOOOOOOO!!!! We didn't see him. I love him too.
That's why I am so upset with the show. We didn't see anyone. Ryan was like "blah blah blah, the judges are harsh, blah blah blah, remember your words" Then he says "42 people made it through" and we didn't get to see anyone sing!!

And Hollywoood did used to be 2 hours long. And maybe even 2 weeks long.

If you all want to laugh, try and find a clip of the SNL parody of American Idol from 2 weeks ago. It was PERFECT ("other door!" LOL)
It got pulled from YOUTUBE last week, but you never know if it's back up or if you can find it somewhere else.

Regardless of all my complaining, I will be watching tonight!:razz:

PirateLover
02-14-2007, 09:19 PM
ALSO, i forgot to mention in my previous post....
Last night, one of the girls eliminated was ROBIN TROUP. She just won the contest to perform with Justin Timberlake at the Grammys last Sunday! She was GREAT with Justin(and T.I.)!! Her voice and performance were awesome.

When her name popped up on the scream I yelled, "HEEEEY!!!!"

I completely missed that! I saw the Grammys and I thought "Why doesn't this girl try out for American Idol!" WOW! I thought she was awesome as well. Her voice sounded great and she worked it, especially since she had to have been nervous. I don't think she hit one bad note that night.

Melanie
02-15-2007, 08:18 AM
So what do you all think?

I wasn't pleased with those last two eliminations, as I wished they'd gone the other way. I don't see what's so great about that Sundance guy. He just doesn't appeal to me. :shrug:

I remember last year at this time being really pleased with the top 24. This year, not so much. No one really jumps out at me.

MNNHFLTX
02-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Well, I am completely amazed at the last two performers put through last night. I would not have chosen Antonella over Marisa or Sundance over Thomas. :shake:

One contestant that turned me off a bit last night was the 17-year-old, Sanjaya. He's got a nice voice, but he kind of grossed me out sticking his tongue out last night (actually several other contestants did that too). Ugh--it's a little quirk of mine, I guess. And then he had that "Saturday Night Fever" strut when he went before the judges.

I thought it was very interesting how demonstrative the judges were in the support of some people--Melinda and Lakisha come to mind.

I'm not really connecting to anyone so far on the show. Well, maybe Melinda, as I would like to see her gain confidence without becoming a diva.

Melanie
02-15-2007, 08:41 AM
We have such similar thoughts, Beth. :D

You know who turned me off last night was Paul Kim. His performance seemed so "affected" to me.

I was just looking at the Idol site, and not a blond in the bunch this year. Not sure why that stood out to me. :confused:

MNNHFLTX
02-15-2007, 08:55 AM
I was just looking at the Idol site, and not a blond in the bunch this year. Not sure why that stood out to me. :confused:
I went to the AI site after reading your post, Mel, and you're right--not one blonde. :scratch:

Once I got to the site I was finally able to remember the name of one of the other contestants that I wasn't impressed with--Leslie. I couldn't help laughing when they did the intros at the end of the show and she was doing that weird hip-hoppy, popping dance. It seemed like she was trying so hard to look cool.

LibertyTreeGal
02-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Well, I like new dad so far, I think his name is Phil, and Chris the crazy hair funny guy.

But truth be told, I'd rather be watching Derek, Max, Laura and Kate from Grease.....

GothMickey
02-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Go to the Ameircan Idol website and look at the profile for Antonella Barba. Look at her hero in life. WALT DISNEY!!!!! She gets my vote for American Idol. Plus, it helps that she is cute and from NJ.

PirateLover
02-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm kind of bummed that they eliminated Tom Lowe. He wasn't really shown in America but he was on the British broadcast. He was a cute British guy who had been in a boy band over there back in the day. I thought his voice was really good. I think the only time he was seen over here was in that group of guys with the beatboxer that was so good. You can find his audition on youtube. He is by no means the perfect singer but he's better than some that were let through, IMHO. And I agree...while I liked Sundance and Antonella in their original auditions, based on Hollywood week they definitely should've been cut. Especially Antonella. I thought the other girl blew her out of the water, personally.

Momof2boys
02-16-2007, 10:29 AM
I've been working so late that I was backed up on Idol but finally found the time to re-connect with my Tivo.

I like the 2 backup singers - and the Jack Osborne look alike.

I'm curious if Antonella and her best friend are still close after her making it thru . . .

elorac
02-17-2007, 12:57 AM
My top 5 idol wannabees are:
1. Sanjaya
2. Melinda
3. Lakisha
4. Sundance
5. Chris
Don't forget how much is manipulated through editing. We really didn't see much singing during Hollywood week.

Jeff
02-17-2007, 07:24 AM
So what do you all think?

I remember last year at this time being really pleased with the top 24. This year, not so much. No one really jumps out at me.

My household feels exactly the same. No one really sticks out yet.

citizensnoopy
02-21-2007, 03:35 AM
What did you guys think of tonight? I really wasn't impressed with many of the guys (watched all but the last one). Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

PirateLover
02-21-2007, 06:17 AM
I wasn't too impressed, either. My fave was probably Blake. I also liked both Chris's and Phil. (He was the last one). If I were picking six I would throw in Brandon and that guy who sang the Brian Mcknight song (forgot his name). I would like to give sundance one more shot but he's on dangerously thin ice right now

Jenemmy
02-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Yep, it wasn't the most exciting start ever....although the judges seemed extra picky. I think Blake was my favorite last night. Chris was good, but i wonder how much he hurt himself by his Simon diss. He is a funny guy and probably meant to come off funny -- but it sorta flopped.......

Melanie
02-21-2007, 07:17 AM
:bored:

pogo
02-21-2007, 07:19 AM
I think this is the weakest field of guys I've ever seen. I don't think many would have made it into the top ten from last year, if any.:(

Chris Sligh and Phil Stacey have to be the front runners for the guys.:thumbsup:

I think Sundance Head and Chris Richardson need to go home this week.:ack:

I'm hoping for some strong performances tonight from the ladies or I think this is going to be a very boring competition. :D

Melanie
02-21-2007, 07:24 AM
I think Sundance Head and Chris Richardson need to go home this week.:ack:

I actually don't think Chris is that bad.

My votes to go home are Sundance and Paul Kim. :down:

SBETigg
02-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm not remembering many of the names yet, but that first guy(Candaras?) was a humongous cheeseball. I think he could go home. I think the worst one of the night was the barefoot guy. He didn't sing well in his auditions. He sounded awful in Hollywood. I can't believe he made it to the stage, and he was a bad karaoke rendition of Wham there, too. I'll be surprised if he moves on much further.

LibertyTreeGal
02-21-2007, 09:01 AM
I bailed after the first hour -- one of the big problems seemed to be technical. Did anyone else actually have a problem hearing the guys singing? The balance was off and the music was way too loud. At first, I figured the first guy wasn't singing loud enough, but when the judges didn't nail him on it I began to wonder. Then they were all hard to hear. What was up with that?

But yes, it was Booooring. No one was very interesting. Felt like Karaoke night.

IamBelle
02-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I like Chris Sligh, Nick Pedro, Blake.

I agree that for some reason, last night just seemed strange. It didn't seem like the 6th season. For some reason, it sounded karoke, (the background music). I think the first guy is going.

murphy1
02-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Got to watch some last night, I like Chris, Phil and Nick. Some of them were boy band cutouts. Sanjay reminds me of Leif Garrett!

pogo
02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
WOW !!!!! Stephanie just lit it up and showed she is in the running to be the next American Idol ! She just blew all the guys off the stage from last night. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This was the best performance I've seen on this show in a couple of years !:D

pogo
02-21-2007, 08:56 PM
O.K..... and now Sabrina raises the bar another notch. It looks like we have a competition !:D

LibertyTreeGal
02-21-2007, 09:01 PM
West Coasters haven't even started the show... so please no spoilers yet.

pogo
02-21-2007, 09:31 PM
oops ! I never gave that a thought ! Sorry :(

Melanie
02-21-2007, 10:06 PM

We've discussed this before, and even held a vote (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=70340&highlight=%22vote%22), and majority decided that it's fine to discuss if the show has aired on the east coast.

If you are in a different time zone and wish to avoid spoilers, it is suggested you don't visit the thread until you've viewed the show.

Thanks all! :)

PirateLover
02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
All in all the girls were much better than the boys for sure. I'm still miffed at how god-awful some of the boys were. Google "Tom Lowe American Idol" to see a great guy who didn't get through...and Barefoot boy does? Please.

citizensnoopy
02-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Wow, the girls were good tonight! :thumbsup:

Nini
02-22-2007, 04:24 AM
My husband and I both LOVED Lakisha!!! She was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denise :mickey:

Jimenyfan
02-22-2007, 06:35 AM

Denise :mickey:

My family did too, I also really like Melinda and Stephanie. After last night I was able to narrow it down to the 6 girls I would like to see make it into the final 12. The guys, I didnt really see any of them shine through.

LibertyTreeGal
02-22-2007, 07:28 AM
We've discussed this before, and even held a vote (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=70340&highlight=%22vote%22), and majority decided that it's fine to discuss if the show has aired on the east coast.

If you are in a different time zone and wish to avoid spoilers, it is suggested you don't visit the thread until you've viewed the show.

Thanks all! :)

Hi Melanie,

Wasn't trying to make anyone feel uncomfy -- I had read the start of the spoilers thread here on intercot and it seemed to be saying the exact opposite, that we weren't supposed to say. And I hadn't visited the thread, I got a notification in my box :). I actually get the show at the same time as the east coast because I live 18 miles west of CST, so I had seen it, I just thought we were supposed to post a spoiler warning, that's all. I'll go read the whole thread, I guess, so I can figure out what the rules are. Sorry if I offended anyone!:blush:

Melanie
02-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Please, please, please let this be the end of the line for Antonella.

Melinda and Lakisha were wonderful. What sweet souls they seem to be!

LibertyTreeGal
02-22-2007, 07:32 AM
I was going to bail on AI based on the boys' night, but Stephanie brought my interest back to life, and then Sabrina, and WOW! Lakisha was awesome!

Looks like they got the sound issues worked out, the gals weren't getting drowned out by the music (which was overpowering on boys' night).

Melanie
02-22-2007, 07:34 AM
I had read the start of the spoilers thread here on intercot and it seemed to be saying the exact opposite, that we weren't supposed to say.

You know what? I'm going to add the link to our vote to the spoiler thread, because you are right, it is a bit confusing as it stands. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. :thanks:

The gist is - if the show has aired to a mass audience (east coast, for example), it is okay to discuss. Just be warned when entering the thread. :)

LibertyTreeGal
02-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the clarification Melanie :mickey:

pogo
02-22-2007, 07:46 AM

Denise :mickey: I agree.... she was the BEST of the best ! :D

JanetMegan
02-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Can't believe no one has mentioned Gina yet! I thought that she was "spot on" and her personality really hits with me too. She reminds me of me ;) Congrats to the girls for really stepping it up!

MNNHFLTX
02-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Please, please, please let this be the end of the line for Antonella. I agree--she was all over the place with her pitch. And I'm still befuddled as to why the judges sent her through to the final 24 over Marissa Rhodes.

There were a lot of good performances last night and it's easier to say who I don't want to go on--Alaina, Antonella, Nicole and Leslie.

Melinda and Lakisha were wonderful. What sweet souls they seem to be!I agree on that point too. Both shine when they are performing and yet seem to be grounded off stage too. The one disappointment I had was that Lakisha sang "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"--I thought she was trying a little too hard to be a Jennifer Hudson wannabe. But the judges didn't seem to mind it.

Melanie
02-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Awww man, there always seems to be one girl who bugs me to no end, and this season I'm pretty sure it will be Antonella. That means she'll be sticking around for awhile! :bang:

I was glad to see Paul go!

Jeff
02-23-2007, 08:33 AM
I was glad to see Paul go!

Put some shoes on and hit the road Dude!

I always have one person who bugs me too - Scott Savol leaps to mind - but this year it is "crooked hat guy". (Don't care to go look up his name). That hat thing drives me nuts.

By the way, I think all 4 that were eliminated last night should have been; if not this week certainly by next week.

MNNHFLTX
02-23-2007, 09:46 AM
As far as the men, I thought the two sent home last night were appropriate choices. As far as the women--Antonella definitely should have gone, not Amy, IMO. Apparently Antonella has a large (male and New Jersey) fan base. So as you said, Mel, she will probably be around a while. I just hope she improves so that I don't have to cover my ears each week. :rolleyes:

pogo
02-23-2007, 11:03 AM
I was a little surprised :confused: last night when Antonella made the cut. She was not good. :rolleyes:

I also didn't agree with the men's cut. :faint: It should have included Sundance.

Next week will be very interesting !:D

PirateLover
02-23-2007, 03:43 PM
On the DialIdol website (which last year was 85% correct in predicting the outcomes) they have Sundance listed as top male vote getter. Interesting. As far as Antonella goes, I can't wait for her to leave, either. There are pics of her floating around on the internet drinking (she is 20) and missing a shirt (arms covering essentials) on a beach with all of her girlfriends. I'm imagining it was a spring break or senior trip or something and sure people have fun but I always say that anyone who documents such behavior via camera is just plain dumb. Add that to the fact that she can't sing and doesn't belong in the top 12 girls and I get like this :mad:

citizensnoopy
02-24-2007, 03:30 AM
There are pics of her floating around on the internet drinking (she is 20) and missing a shirt (arms covering essentials) on a beach with all of her girlfriends. I'm imagining it was a spring break or senior trip or something and sure people have fun but I always say that anyone who documents such behavior via camera is just plain dumb.

There are much worse pictures of her floating around ...

LibertyTreeGal
02-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Okay guys, let's give Antonella a break -- it's not like she punched Tigger or anything....

Melanie
02-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Okay guys, let's give Antonella a break -- it's not like she punched Tigger or anything....

Everyone is allowed to present the facts and express their opinion, as long as we keep it family friendly and respect our fellow INTERCOTees. :)

These recent revelations just solidify my orginal feelings towards Antonella. I hope she's gone quickly!

PirateLover
02-24-2007, 09:32 AM

Actually, in my opinion, what she did was worse. Britanny is right, even more salacious pics have been uncovered to the point where I can't even talk about them on this board. What bothers me is that Frenchie Davis, who had a much better voice, was kicked off for taking a few suggestive pics trying to pay her way through college. She didn't live up to their "Idol" standards. And this girl does? Lets see how and if A.I. responds to this.

PirateLover
02-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Gosh I read too many gossip blogs :blush:
But...now there are leaked pics of Antonella posing suggestively in what appears to be a photo shoot at night at the WWII Memorial in D.C. That is just plain wrong and disgraceful, and probably illegal too had they been caught. She needs to get the boot now.

PirateLover
02-27-2007, 10:16 PM
My opinion:
Bottom 3 : Sanjaya, Brandon, Jared? (I think thats his name? He did Let's Get It On)

Top 3: BLAKE! Sundance (thank you!) and Chris R.

FYI: The worst of the Antonella pix have been exposed as a hoax, but the candids with her friends and the WWII photo shoot are real. I guess they aren't offensive enough for idol to kick her off. Lets just hope America does the honors when she stinks it up again tomorrow.

Bethanymouse
02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
The guys did a much better job this week than last. I found it to be much more entertaining- thank GOD! I think that AJ and Sanjay need to go this week. They just arent up to par. I really enjoy Chris Sligh. He is very smooth and it looks like singing just comes easy to him. Hoping that the girls keep it rocking tomorrow night!:rocker:

pogo
02-28-2007, 07:09 AM
The guys did a much better job this week than last. I found it to be much more entertaining- thank GOD! I think that AJ and Sanjay need to go this week. They just arent up to par. I really enjoy Chris Sligh. He is very smooth and it looks like singing just comes easy to him. Hoping that the girls keep it rocking tomorrow night!:rocker: Good call !:thumbsup:
I couldn't agree with you more. :D

JanetMegan
02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
I was thinking last night while I watched that I wanted to post some little reviews here this morning so here goes...

Phil Stacey-I'm really liking this guy, not quite as good as last week, but I thought pretty darn good. I always hate it when someone good goes first because I'm afraid people will forget to vote for him ;)

Jared Cotter-I actually didn't think this was too bad. I little too much with the facial movements and his lower range was reaching, but I thought it was a good song choice and I hope he's safe this week.

AJ Tabaldo-Ugh. Man I didn't get this at all. Where on earth was that song from? He just seems kinda slimeball-y singing it too. Not sure why Simon liked it so much? What am I missing here?

Chris Sligh-Very good, not quite as good as last week, but good. Found it super cute he sang to his wife!

Sanjaya Malakar-Why oh Why did you sing that song that way and who on EARTH picked out your clothes and that hat?? I thought it wasn't very good dawg...

Nicolas Pedro-Must not have been very memorable because I don't even remember it ;)

Brandon Rogers-This was a disappointment. Guys really shouldn't sing girl songs, I mean didn't Cyndi Lauper record that? Pretty flimsy vocally and I just didn't like it. I hope he stays one more week though, I think he's decent, just a poor choice.

Blake Lewis-Hmm. I really like him, but I didn't get that song much. I mean it was ok. Maybe just not my kind of music? I would think he is golden into the final 12 though.

Chris Richardson-Ok I MUST be missing something cause I thought that was AWFUL with a capital A. I was shocked when Simon said it was the best of the night at the time?? I couldn't understand a word he sang.

Sundance Head-Finally a glimmer of the guy from the first audition. But he better be really good from here on out. I think another bad week or two will send him out. Probably best of the night. Glad they saved him for last...

Anyone else?

Ian
02-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Phil Stacey - I agree this guy was good. It's rare for a guy who opens the show to stick in my mind so much, but I actually think he was one of the best. Funny thing about him was I said to DW when he was done, "I thought that was great, but I bet Simon says it sounded like good karoke. Yep ... that's what he said ...

Jared Cotter - I found his whole thing corny ... the dancing was weak, the rendition of the song was weak ... to quote Randy, "Yo, it wasn't that good for me dog."

AJ Tabaldo - I joked to DW during his performance that I HATED IT which probably meant Simon would like it. I was right.

Chris Sligh - This dude is my hero. Anyone who looks like him and marries a girl who looks like his wife is doing something right. Of course, the fact that he sings out of his mind might have something to do with it. He and Sundance are my absolute favs of the guys.

Sanjaya Malakar - Janet said, "Why oh Why did you sing that song that way and who on EARTH picked out your clothes and that hat?? I thought it wasn't very good dawg..." and I concur 100%.

Nicolas Pedro - I remember it and I thought it was pretty good. He ended his segment by yelling, "Vote for Pedro!" which got him bonus points with me.

Brandon Rogers - He made a very poor song choice. I do NOT want to see a guy singing True Colors ... it just doesn't work. Vocally I though he was off, too. Not good at all ...

Blake Lewis - Another one where I totally disagreed with Simon. I thought Blake ROCKED that song ... I don't particular like Jamoroqui, but I liked his rendition of it.

Chris Richardson - I have long suspected that Simon likes to be contrary simply for the sake of being contrary and this guy sealed it for me. I thought he stunk ... maybe the worst of the night.

Sundance Head - I love Sundance. He hasn't been good AT ALL and he's really lucky he made it this far (mostly on the strength of his audition, I suspect), but he's got some pipes and he was ON tonight.

Momof2boys
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
I actually liked Chris' performance - it's not just about the singing but the "whole package" and Chris showed that last night. I also liked Blake and Phil.

I will be utterly surprised if Sanjaya doesn't go home. I would like to see either Nick or AJ go home as well.

As much as I hated Brandon's song choice, I still like him.

pogo
02-28-2007, 06:55 PM
After a little thought, I figured I'd list the guys as I see (heard) them last night.

The two I thought should be gone from last week really surprised me.

Here is my top ten guys:

10) Sanjaya..... nice kid. Not a bad voice but not a great singer yet.:sick:

9) A.J. Tabaldo Belongs in a boy band somewhere.

8) Brandon Rogers. Dosen't lite up the stage.

7) Nick Pedro. Very smooth, old fashioned singer. Not what Idol is all about. Could sing in any lounge in Vegas !

6) Jared Cotter He will get the ladies votes for sure. My DW wakes up when he is on.

5) Blake Lewis More than a singer.... he's an entertainer ! Could be in the final four !

4) Phil Stacey Very smooth voice and very good stage presence. He will be a star..... soon.

3) Sundance Head. Surprise ! I know, last week I thought he hed to go, but If he stays like last night, he might be the one to beat !

2) Chris Sligh Very likable kid with very good range and a strong voice. He also has a different look about him that makes him stand out.

1) Chris Richardson..... I don't think he has the greatest voice, but I do think he is the best performer of the guys. :cool:

There you go.... that's how I see the guys up to this point. :D

JanetMegan
03-01-2007, 08:48 AM
On my take on the girls (which due to some sort of odd DVR malfunction I'm posting in alphabetical order since I have no clue what order they went in last night, I watched it all mixed up.)

Alania Alexander-Man what a POOR song choice. Wrong for two main reasons. #1. People who like the Dixie Chicks know how well Natalie sings that song. #2. People who hate the Dixie Chicks will hate that she picked that song. Also the chick sort of has bird legs and looked like she was dancing to When the Saints go Marching In.

Antonella Barba-Oh where do I start on this one on a family friendly site? First off, I just don't like the girl, I think she's mean and has a bad attitude. Secondly, if you aren't that good, don't sing Celine. Bad news is, as much as I want her gone, I think she'll probably be ok due to all the presss etc.

Gina Glocksen-Oh I'm afraid for you Gina. I like her so much, spunky, a good voice, obviously not the best. But I just enjoy her. But I'm really afraid for a couple of these so-so girls tonight!

Haley Scarnato-Interesting choice. I actually didn't think it was that bad, but it wasn't that good either. Kinda hyper. I hope she's gone instead of Gina ;)

Jordin Sparks-Nice job, but I'm not sure if singing a song from a Disney movie shows your maturity. She's cute, sweet, and decent, but I'm not sure if she's Idol material.

Lakisha Jones-Man another nice job tonight by Lakisha. I agreed with Simon though that it wasn't quite as good as last week and the outfit was kinda bad. I know it's hard to pick out clothes when you are bigger, but I would think a stylist would recommend against something so short and bold?

Leslie Hunt-Another one I'm just not fond of. She looks odd to me? The singing wasn't great and it was slightly strange. Even though she said she wouldn't flop around the stage, I stil thought she flopped...

Melinda Doolittle-Man! This CHICK CAN SING! She outsang Lakisha this week. I was a little afraid when I heard what song she was singing, but she really pulled it off. Great job! I think she needs a little stylist help as well though.

Sabrina Sloan-Wow, great job I thought. I little sketchy a couple times but I thought it was great. I'm a little nervous for her though, not much screen time leading up to the top 24 and I couldn't even remember what she sang last week...

Stephanie Edwards-Hmmm. I think she's good. Not as good as last week, but then again I didn't know the song very well (sorry not up on recent pop hits much.) I think she'll be safe, at least I hope so. But I want to see something else next week cause she reminds me of Fantasia who I thought was kinda eh.

Any other thoughts?

MNNHFLTX
03-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Well, I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I think Antonella really should go. She is just not of the same caliber as most of the other performers. Alaina also had a bad night--her rendition of that Dixie Chicks song just sounded off kilter. Also there was that moment when the judges were talking about her performance and she rolled her eyes. That didn't look very professional (or mature). Does anyone else think she looks a little like Jennifer Aniston? Anyway, Leslie's performance was better this week, but that little scat at the end of her song was just strange.

Overall, I didn't think the women did as well last night as they did last week. Out of them all, Melinda was the best, IMO.

MNNHFLTX
03-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Alania Alexander-Man what a POOR song choice. Wrong for two main reasons. #1. People who like the Dixie Chicks know how well Natalie sings that song. #2. People who hate the Dixie Chicks will hate that she picked that song. Also the chick sort of has bird legs and looked like she was dancing to When the Saints go Marching In.
Yeah, she did have a little marching going on there. :yes:

Momof2boys
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
I would not be sad to see Antonella, Alaina or Leslie go home . . .

And I didn't care for Melinda's song choice (she needs to speed it up a bit) I still like her, Gina, and Lakisha to continue on.

citizensnoopy
03-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm actually hoping that all the press from this week will hurt Antonella. She was terrible! My pick would be for her and Alaina to go home this week.

I really liked Melinda and Lakisha.

Jasper
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
As I was passing through the living room this morning I caught the tail end of a story on Good Morning America or one of the other morning programs about some kind of comment that Simon made last night that was supposedly worse than normal and that even had the other judges upset. I did not see last night's show and have not been able to find anything else about Simon's supposed comments.

Do any of you know what they were talking about?

Jenemmy
03-02-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't think I would have known that was Kellie Pickler last night if they didn't tell me! Oh my gosh, she looks different! Maybe it was the haircut -- but she sure looked like she had aged! She really looked like a young Tammy Wynette.....

JanetMegan
03-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Wow I thought seeing Kellie Pickler was kind of sad. I have heard both her new songs on country radio and they are actually pretty good, but I thought the way she looked last night was just kind of depressing. If American Idol turns you into that...I just don't know. She was squeezed into a too tight dress, with too much makeup, umm too much enhancement (if you know what I mean) and I just didn't even think she looked like the fun loving girl we saw last season.

Momof2boys
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
She was squeezed into a too tight dress, with too much makeup, umm too much enhancement (if you know what I mean) and I just didn't even think she looked like the fun loving girl we saw last season.

I totally agree ! And you could tell that the spider sushi comment was staged . . . she didn't sound as "dumb" as she did last year. And like Ryan, I too was wondering if she bought something other than shoes :shake:

Jimenyfan
03-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow I thought seeing Kellie Pickler was kind of sad. I have heard both her new songs on country radio and they are actually pretty good, but I thought the way she looked last night was just kind of depressing. If American Idol turns you into that...I just don't know. She was squeezed into a too tight dress, with too much makeup, umm too much enhancement (if you know what I mean) and I just didn't even think she looked like the fun loving girl we saw last season.

There was a recent interview with her on one of our local TV stations and she was saying that she has no relationship with her mother and I think that was what the song was written about. I think that could have been why she looked depressed. My feeling was she was actually singing the song to her mom. Why oh Why is Antonella still on the show.:confused:

Melanie
03-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Why oh Why is Antonella still on the show.:confused:

:fit:

Could be that she's the lead on that "Vote for the Worst" website. :down:

LibertyTreeGal
03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
some kind of comment that Simon made last night that was supposedly worse than normal and that even had the other judges upset.

Do any of you know what they were talking about?

Ah, it was probaly the comment about the one girl losing steam in the middle of her song. He said something like, "It was kind of like Randy doing the 100 yard dash." The meaning being that Randy is too heavy to be able to run that far......

I was pretty shocked. But not as shocked as watching Antonella get picked over Leslie. Oy Vey! After her Jennifer Hudson remark the night before, I thought her fans might turn on her.

Jessie
03-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Can I just say that I am beyond shocked that Sanjaya and Antonella are still in this competition? They just aren't anywhere near the other contestants in terms of talent. I was pretty surprised to see them both make the cuts last week and I think they were too.

NotaGeek
03-07-2007, 12:33 AM

She became a star and is now run by her record company, Idol had NOTHING to do with that look. It was sad but she looked more like a 40 year old Tanya Tucker then her normal bubbly self. AND, holy moly we all know what she spent some money on! :jaw:

On a happier note, I REALLY love Blake Lewis and Chris Richardson. :thumbsup:

Melanie
03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
On a happier note, I REALLY love Blake Lewis and Chris Richardson. :thumbsup:

I really like both of them as well, Michael. In fact, I'm quite shocked by how much I do like Chris.

JanetMegan
03-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Well I still just don't get the Chris Richardson thing, I just don't ;) On the other hand I thought the best last night was Chris Sligh! Other than that I thought it was pretty bad--kinda ho hum.

LibertyTreeGal
03-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Blake was good, but you know it is bad news when you get to the end of the show and say, "Eight people sang? I don't remember watching that many people sing!" Very unmemorable.

Ian
03-07-2007, 10:25 AM
To me, for the men, there's Chris Sligh, then one level down there's Blake ... and then there's everybody else.

If anyone BUT Chris and Blake are the final two for the men, something went wrong ... barring some kind of disastrous meltdown on either of their parts.

Jimenyfan
03-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Well I still just don't get the Chris Richardson thing, I just don't ;) On the other hand I thought the best last night was Chris Sligh! Other than that I thought it was pretty bad--kinda ho hum.

Janet, I feel the same way I dont understand the draw of Chris Richardson and I really do like Chris Sligh.

JanetMegan
03-07-2007, 01:07 PM
By the way I felt the guys stunk so badly they were not worthy of individual reviews this week...;)

citizensnoopy
03-07-2007, 04:09 PM
I thought last night was pretty bad. Nobody wowed me. The best was Chris Sligh, but I wasn't particularly thrilled with his performance.

Bethanymouse
03-07-2007, 04:35 PM
BORING BORING BORING. That is what last night was. I agree with the rest of. Chris Sligh and Blake Lewis- the only two worth watching. Lets hope that the girls are better tonight!

Melanie
03-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Well I still just don't get the Chris Richardson thing, I just don't ;)

I don't really get it either, Janet. Like I said, I'm not really sure why I like him, but for some reason I do. :scratch:

Who I continue to not get is Sundance. No appeal for me whatsoever. He was horrible last night!

I like Chris Sligh as well.

I'm just a litle disappointed this year, as it appears the judges are also. No one is really bringing their A-game - this is, if they possess it.

PirateLover
03-07-2007, 09:31 PM
My votes to go home:
Sanjaya
Phil (I liked him the first week but I didn't like last week and I HATED this week. He also creeps me out)

Antonella
Haley

I thought Melinda and Lakisha rocked the house. And I loved my boy Blake. I'm a HUGE 311 fan. I found it funny that Randy called him 'current' even though he was singing a song that is 10 years old!:D

citizensnoopy
03-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Tonight was a lot better!

My picks to go home: Sanjaya, Sundance, Antonella (please, please, please,) and Haley

Melanie
03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Paula was right about Stephanie - she was way behind the song at one point. She still has a great voice!

Oh Antonella, please be going home this week. This is where this show gets extremely frustrating. She'll stay on for all the wrong reasons!

And Simon is absolutely right about Haley. She's not memorable at all!

LibertyTreeGal
03-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Was last night the first time someone actually got away with singing Whitney Houston????? McPhee got ripped for singing that same song last year -- but of course, Lakisha is in a different league. I enjoyed the song but I cringed when it went to the judges because I thought they might nail her on that. And then they didn't! Simon even told ehr she looked beautiful! :cloud9: :cloud9:

Lakisha, Melinda, Jordin, Stephanie, and Sabrina alll need to go on to the final 12. Wow, are they awesome. I like Gina too. Antonella and Haley need to go home. Among the boys, I almost couldn't care less, except that I like Chris Sligh :D

Is it possible that they might send someone good home and keep Antonella??

minnie-mouse
03-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Haley or Gina and Sanjaya or Phil really need to go home this week! Is it just me or does anyone else think that none of the competitors really entertain us? Melinda Doolittle & Blake were really the only ones I found a bit entertaining this week. It's great if the people can sing, but they also need to be able to entertain and keep the crowd going.

Not too excited with this season so far.

sgdisney
03-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I'd like to fast forward through the next couple of weeks because I'm afraid Antonella will stay and she needs to pack it up and go home. My pick for the top 6 are Melinda, Lakisha, Gina, Jordan, Blake and Chris Sligh.

PirateLover
03-08-2007, 09:06 PM
SO MAD that Sanjaya went through!!!!! :mad: Also Haley deserved to go before Sabrina, but at least Antonella is out.

Jessie
03-08-2007, 09:09 PM
What? WHAT?! I'm sorry I just cannot believe that Sundance went home over Sanjaya. It's almost sad because I think everyone (including Sanjaya) were shocked. It was painful to watch. Sundance may not be the best vocally, but I still think he was way above Sanjaya.

Oh and thank goodness Antonella is finally gone. At least this way there won't be more "scandal" talk in the press. That was getting old.

I actually expected Phil to go tonight too. I don't think he's awful, but I didn't think he did very well the other night.

LibertyTreeGal
03-08-2007, 10:46 PM
For the last two weeks, Sanjaya has seemed like the least happy person in the place. Honestly, he now looks like he wishes he was being sent home. He looks incredulous, and to me it looks like he feels guilty because he knows that better talent is being sent packing. I must admit that I do find it endearing, better that than someone oblivious who thinks they should stick around no matter what.

I think Sanjaya wishes it was all over.

I was shocked that Sabrina was being sent home -- and Haley looked shocked too. I thought Sabrina would make the final 8 because she is way better than a lot of the guys.

NotaGeek
03-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Even though i don't feel that Sanjaya was better than most of the other contestants, it is allegedly America that votes ... I felt really bad for him when EVERYONE including the judges reacted in shock and awe that he beat Sundance. Definitely not fare to him, and since he seems like he doesn't have a lot of self esteem to start with, it had to be a BAD ego killer.

He wasn't good, but he WAS better than both Antonella and Haley. I do think it's in bad form that they MUST have 6 guys and 6 girls. Shouldn't it just be the MOST talented people make it to the end? WEIRD that it's done by sex and not just plain old talent.

citizensnoopy
03-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Wow, some shockers tonight. I thought that Sabrina was one of the better singers.

PirateLover
03-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Michael I totally agree. It was not always done this way. In previous years they had a random selection of contestants competing one week and then it would be automatically voted on which 2 would be put forward. And then the judges had a wildcard pick. This happened in Season two when I believe Reuben and Kimberly were in the top 3 with Clay one week. Reub and Kim got put through, Clay did not, and then Clay got through on Wildcard. I liked it much better this way. I think this is idols 3rd year of doing it boys vs. girls? It just isn't fair.

NotaGeek
03-09-2007, 12:26 AM
You know, I have always thought it would be better if you voted OFF the person you thought did the worst instead of voting for the people you like the most.

N.W.Girl
03-09-2007, 01:38 AM
You know, I have always thought it would be better if you voted OFF the person you thought did the worst instead of voting for the people you like the most.

Its a thought but I think just having the least votes is bad enough let alone, I dont like you the most.
Does any one else feel the way I feel...that even tho Malinda (Simons "tiger" lol) and Lakisha have awsome powerful voices, they dont have an original voice??? I think Stephanie does. I really wanted to hear more of Sabrina, I think she had something special going on. Not sure about Jordan yet. I need to hear more of her.With all that said...I love Blake!!!

Ian
03-09-2007, 08:32 AM
I think a lot of people connected with Sundance as a person, but let's be honest ... 90% of his performances weren't good. I mean that rendition of Jeremy he did the other night was terrible.

First off, it was a bad song choice ... you need to sing a vocalist's song on this show and Eddie Vedder, for all his talent, is NOT a vocalist. Unless you completely NAIL a song like that, it's gonna sound bad.

Second, since his audition, he's been average at best. I mean I liked the guy a lot and even I kept saying, "He's just not sounding good ... "

All that being said, though, Sanjaya is terrible. He needs to go.

Does any one else feel the way I feel...that even tho Malinda (Simons "tiger" lol) and Lakisha have awsome powerful voices, they dont have an original voice??? I agree totally. I think Lakisha is a run-of-the-mill R&B singer. She's obviously talented, but to me she's Whitney Houston/Mariah Carey/Et. Al. We have a million of those already ... let's try and find someone unique and fresh.

That's why I never agreed with Fantasia winning that year ...

Personally, I like Chris and Blake for the men and Gina for the women.

Melanie
03-09-2007, 08:59 AM
I agreed with half of the eliminations tonight, and for me, it was the two big ones. Goodbye Antonella and Sundance! I was actually surprised and shocked that Antonella was sent home. And to me, Sundance hasn't sounded good since his original audition.

Shouldn't it just be the MOST talented people make it to the end?

Amen, Michael! I wish they would go back to old way of doing it.

Personally, I like Chris and Blake for the men and Gina for the women.

You mean Chris Sligh, right Ian?

I like Gina too! And I liked Sabrina too. :(

MNNHFLTX
03-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Even though i don't feel that Sanjaya was better than most of the other contestants, it is allegedly America that votes ... I felt really bad for him when EVERYONE including the judges reacted in shock and awe that he beat Sundance. Definitely not fare to him, and since he seems like he doesn't have a lot of self esteem to start with, it had to be a BAD ego killer.I guess I have had a different perception about Sanjaya. Throughout the early part of this competition he actually seemed overly confident, which was a real turn off for me. Granted he did seem to be stunned by the results last night and I did feel bad at the judge's remarks (although Paula did try to soften it by saying they meant "no disprespect to you or the other contestants"). Anyway, I definitely think it's time for him to go, although I personally don't think Sundance Head has been all that great either.

My one disappointment last evening was that Sabrina was sent home over Haley. I can't figure that one out. :shake:

Ian
03-09-2007, 01:32 PM
You mean Chris Sligh, right Ian? Yep, that's the one Mel!

I have to be honest, on Wednesday nights I've been watching Jericho, so I haven't seen much of the women thus far. I don't honestly have too much of an opinion on them outside of really taking a liking to Gina's performances.

Jessie
03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I think that right now, in terms of originality and voice, I'd like to see Blake win this. Of course I may change my mind as the weeks go on, but he's my favorite so far. I hope the beat boxing doesn't get too old though. I can see that happening if he does it every single time. Then again, that is what made him stand out. :laughing: Guess I can't make up my mind! I'm realling digging his song choices.

What do you all think of their special announcement? I think it's great. Good for them for using the success of the show to do something good for the world. Although, I wish they had said how much was being donated per vote.

Melanie
03-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Regarding Sanjaya - wasn't it a couple of weeks ago when he was in the group of final two and Ryan said something like "one of you is in the top 4 in voting tonight, and one of you is going home?" Of course, he ended up staying.

So it seems Sanjaya may have a big fan base and may be the one we are scratching our heads about this season.

citizensnoopy
03-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Regarding Sanjaya - wasn't it a couple of weeks ago when he was in the group of final two and Ryan said something like "one of you is in the top 4 in voting tonight, and one of you is going home?" Of course, he ended up staying.

So it seems Sanjaya may have a big fan base and may be the one we are scratching our heads about this season.

He's the worst singer on the show, but I have to admit that there's something endearing about him.

PirateLover
03-10-2007, 09:38 AM
You'll never believe this but I actually had a dream:sleepin: that I was out to dinner with my mom, Sanjaya, and his "brother" (I guess my mind made that one up.) The whole time I kept complaining about how bad Sanjaya was, like he wasn't even there. Then when I looked at his shocked face I asked him what the problem was, he asked his brother if he really was that bad, and the brother didn't answer. I said "I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but you should know the truth." :blush:
Thats all I remember.

PirateLover
03-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I cant believe i just typed out a really long play by play review and i messed it up!!!!!!!!!!! UGH. Well here is my basic list worst to first

12. Sanjaya :ack: but funny

11. Brandon- Major disappointment

10. Haley- Flashes of great singing, needs to pull it together

9.Chris R- I like him, but he needs a vocal coach

8.Chris S- I like Coldplay, so I liked this version, he needs to show more emotion and wear his glasses

7.Phil- Not bad but something turns me off about him both physically and vocally

6.Stephanie- not bad but she needs to wow people to keep her votes

5.Gina- I liked it, i think she was focusing too much on getting the words right to fully perform it

4.Jordan- Sweet girl puts forth a sweet performance

3. Blake- I may be the only one in the world who LOVED this. I love this kinda music so this kid rocks my world

2.LaKisha- Kiki me likey

3.Melinda- Vocally, she's got it totally going on. Has she ever hit a bad note???

N.W.Girl
03-14-2007, 01:42 AM
I liked Blake's version too. Ive heard him better vocally but I sure like him.
Im from Seattle so I almost voted for Jordin, she did so great tonight. But I stuck to my favorite...Blake.
Once again Lakisha and Melinda. Exellent singers, Stars? yes. we probably will hear from them in the future. American Idols??? :shrug:

Ian
03-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Here are my thoughts:

Sanjaya - I'm sorry, but how he is still on this show is a mystery. He's awful. DW told me that people at her work are voting for him because they feel bad for him ... that's the only possible explanation for him still being around.

Brandon - It's tough going first. I kinda felt bad for him, because he was the first one to have to deal with the big crowd, the big stage, etc. That being said, he wasn't very good on a very recognizable song. That's going to hurt him.

Haley - She was somewhere in the middle for the women. I didn't think she was that good, but she wasn't terrible either.

Chris R - He's another one I just don't get. He stinks and in a good and just world he'll be voted off next after Sanjaya. I think he's virtually talentless. His singing sounds strained and odd ... more like he's impersonating someone singing than actually singing himself.

Chris S - Okay, I'm an admitted Chris Sligh fan, so maybe I'm biased, but I TOTALLY disagreed with the judges last night. I liked his rendition of Endless Love. I thought he freshened up an otherwise dull, boring, bland, generic love song. His vocals were great and I loved his arrangement.

Phil - He was kinda like Haley for the men. Somewhere in between good and fair.

Stephanie - I think she's got a great voice and she sounded pretty good last night. She's got a little star power, too ...

Gina - I really like Gina. She's my favorite of the girls, but I didn't think last night was her best performance. I agree she may have been focusing on "enunciating" too much and not enough on just belting it out.

Jordan - I agreed with the judges ... I think Jordan stepped it up last night.

Blake - Much like Chris Sligh, I liked Blake's updating of the song. I thought it was good arrangement-wise, but I thought he was really off vocally. He didn't sound good at all.

LaKisha - Sorry ... I don't get it. Can she sing? Yes. Is there anything unique and different about her style? No. She's as dull as paint.

Melinda - Okay ... does anyone besides me think Melinda is totally playing up this whole breathless "Oh my gosh" thing? No one with a voice like hers can be that clueless. It's old Melinda ... give it a rest ...

And let me just say ... I heard the judges call many of the performances last night dull or boring ... I have news for them ... It's because those Diana Ross songs are TERRIBLE!!

I honestly can't remember such an uninspiring, dull evening of performances. And the way the judges were all like, "Oh these songs are classics! Don't mess with the classics!"

I hardly think songs from "The Wiz" or sappy love songs from 70's movies qualify as classics. There may have been one or two true classics performed last night, but I think overall they might have gotten a tad carried away in their praise of Diana Ross.

I mean the chick was a disco artist :ack:

LibertyTreeGal
03-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Oh my, I couldn't believe what Sanjaya did with "Ain't no Mountain" -- I never thought that song could be used to put insomniacs into a coma. He whispered the whole song and he sounded like Michael Jackson does when he's talking!

Brandon was awful.

Chris Sligh wasn't so terrible, but I hated what he did with the song. Would have liked to see him sing it straight.

I thought Chris R sounded awful, very pitchy. My least favorite of the night.

Oh Blake -- I hated that, truly hated it.

I liked Phil okay.

All that being said, Diana Ross songs, with few exceptions, are going to be tough for men to sing.

I loved Melinda (who I believe is genuine), Lakisha and Jordin (totally adorable) -- the other girls can go home now -- and take most of the boys with them :D

ChipDale2708
03-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh my, I couldn't believe what Sanjaya did with "Ain't no Mountain" -- I never thought that song could be used to put insomniacs into a coma. He whispered the whole song and he sounded like Michael Jackson does when he's talking!
:D

I am so glad you made the MJ connection! I've been saying that right along and I haven't heard it anywhere else. He really needs to go tonight. Melinda is terrific - she and Paula had me in tears last night.

Ian
03-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Melinda is terrific - she and Paula had me in tears last night.Man, I just must be a complete, cold-hearted cynic, because I find the whole Melinda thing to be ridiculous.

When Paula was crying last night I was right there with Simon wondering, "What the heck is she so worked up about??"

I was rolling my eyes ... I think the whole thing is an act ...

Jimenyfan
03-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Man, I just must be a complete, cold-hearted cynic, because I find the whole Melinda thing to be ridiculous.

When Paula was crying last night I was right there with Simon wondering, "What the heck is she so worked up about??"

I was rolling my eyes ... I think the whole thing is an act ...

I like Melinda but I feel the same way about the always shocked look when they tell her how good she was. I felt the same way last year about Kelly Pickler and the way she acted.

PirateLover
03-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I just wanted to add that the judges really get under my skin when the tell the contestants to "be original" but then rip them apart when they are (See Chris S. and Blake.) Endless Love is a clunker of a song and would've sounded terrible IMHO if Sligh kept it the same, and the other two people who sang You Keep Me Hangin' On in top 12 week got eliminated so I think Blake was right to switch it up. He knows exactly what his limitations are and he does what he wants to do. I find that refreshing.

LibertyTreeGal
03-14-2007, 04:41 PM
I just wanted to add that the judges really get under my skin when the tell the contestants to "be original" but then rip them apart when they are

Now that is absolutely true. Maybe they should have given the contestants a verbal warning not to change these songs if they were going to get so touchy about it.

That being said, I love the song Endless Love! I wish someone had done the theme from Mahogany...

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
03-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Here are my thoughts:

I hardly think songs from "The Wiz" or sappy love songs from 70's movies qualify as classics. There may have been one or two true classics performed last night, but I think overall they might have gotten a tad carried away in their praise of Diana Ross.

I mean the chick was a disco artist :ack:

I just had to post on this. I agree that some of the songs that the constestants (supposedly) chose to sing last night were not the best that could be gleaned from Diana Ross. But, I have to say that she is much more than a 'disco artist'. She has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with the Supremes, won Grammy's, a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Oscar. She and the Supremes were the blueprint for every glamorous female vocalist that followed.

Just had to say that, now back to the AI discussion...

Ian
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
I just wanted to add that the judges really get under my skin when the tell the contestants to "be original" but then rip them apart when they are (See Chris S. and Blake.) Endless Love is a clunker of a song and would've sounded terrible IMHO if Sligh kept it the same, and the other two people who sang You Keep Me Hangin' On in top 12 week got eliminated so I think Blake was right to switch it up. He knows exactly what his limitations are and he does what he wants to do. I find that refreshing.I thought the same exact thing. You can't change back and forth that way without letting people know ...

If these Diana Ross songs are so untouchable they should have told people before they ripped them for it.

Emily
03-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Man, I just must be a complete, cold-hearted cynic, because I find the whole Melinda thing to be ridiculous.

And you were ragging me a few weeks ago about being cold-hearted?? ;)

Not surprisingly, though, I actually agree with you. I really think Melinda's got a great voice, no one can deny that, but the humble act is getting a tad bit old. Not to say that cocky and arrogant is any better, but she doesn't need to look SO shocked each time they praise her. She's good, she has to know that.

My ex was saying he heard Sanjaya's been in the top 4 for the men like every week so far, but that's just internet rumor at this point. That's scary if it's true, though. He needs to go. NOW. Chris Richardson is another one that is completely lost on me. Not getting that one at all. And I also agree with Ian on Lakisha - sure she can sing, but there is little to no personality there. And I was never a Fantasia fan, and Lakisha reminds me of her too much.

Blake, Chris Sligh and Phil (usually, but he's been off a few times) are the ones I'm really liking. I'm really hoping at least Blake and Chris will make it far.

PirateLover
03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, tonight's elimination wasn't that much of a shocker....

methinks they will play up the Sanjaya thing as long as possible by pairing him up with the person who is getting kicked off. I have to say that I honestly don't believe he received the 2nd least amount of votes.

LibertyTreeGal
03-14-2007, 09:48 PM
I was surprised to see Phil in the bottom three, but not to see Sanjaya in the bottom two. The thing is, the difference between the number of votes with the #1 and #2 guy can be huge.

*sigh* Brandon did deserve to go. Oh well, more Sanjaya!

BTW, what is the problem with the band? I could hardly hear Diana Ross singing, and I think she knew it. Was it the band or the guy on the sound board? It was top 12 with the guys night all over again.

Carol
03-14-2007, 09:51 PM
My ex was saying he heard Sanjaya's been in the top 4 for the men like every week so far, but that's just internet rumor at this point. That's scary if it's true, though. That's true. He has the mass call in from the "Vote the Worst" crowd.

That's exactly why I refuse to watch/participate in the show any longer. The whole vote in thing is messed up and certainly not accurate. :down:

Melanie
03-15-2007, 06:23 AM
My ex was saying he heard Sanjaya's been in the top 4 for the men like every week so far, but that's just internet rumor at this point.

It's true, and Ryan actually stated it one night on the show.

The more I watch, the more Lakisha bothers me. No doubt she can sing, but it's the way she sings, if that makes any sense. She's got a lisp, and while I understand she can't help it, it still annoys me. And true, she's pretty void of personality.

aprilisis
03-15-2007, 08:10 AM
I'll miss Brandon- I thought he was such a cutie. BUT...I guess he did deserve to go. He was still better than Sanjaya, though. This is just going to make me vote 100 times for everyone else next week, though. :mickey: I am irritated with Howard Stern- he is encouraging people to vote for Sanjaya which takes votes & a chance from people who really deserve it. I hope this trend doesn't last. I can't listen to Sanjaya anymore!!!

Ian
03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

WHY NOT SANJAYA??? WHY??? WHY???

:fit:

And you were ragging me a few weeks ago about being cold-hearted??She says, while agreeing with me 100%. ;)

The more I watch, the more Lakisha bothers me. No doubt she can sing, but it's the way she sings, if that makes any sense. She's got a lisp, and while I understand she can't help it, it still annoys me. And true, she's pretty void of personality.Yeah, the more I see Lakisha the less I like her. I think you hit it about the way she sings ... it grates on me.

That's true. He has the mass call in from the "Vote the Worst" crowd.

That's exactly why I refuse to watch/participate in the show any longer. The whole vote in thing is messed up and certainly not accurate. :down:You know I'm starting to agree, Carol. If Fox continues to ignore the existence of this group, they run the risk of ending up with someone like Sanjaya as their American Idol. That would basically ruin the show.

They have to step up and change the voting process.

murphy1
03-16-2007, 10:57 AM
It's true, and Ryan actually stated it one night on the show.

The more I watch, the more Lakisha bothers me. No doubt she can sing, but it's the way she sings, if that makes any sense. She's got a lisp, and while I understand she can't help it, it still annoys me. And true, she's pretty void of personality.

I feel the same way! Yes, she can sing great, but something is so boring about her! I have to say I love Melinda, I have from the beginning. She has great stage presence and I'm not bored watching her. Kelly Clarkson was happy and surprised a lot when the judges critiqued her, it's refreshing to me to see someone who isn't jaded. Lakisha acts like she would rather be somewhere else. I also like Phil. Blake reminds me of some of the singers from the 80's like Lisa Stansfield, Howard Jones or Thomas Dolby, he says his music is new, but it really reminds me of the 80's. Sanjaya with the sweater and the hairdos, he is just torture to watch! Diana Ross sounded off key to me in her performance, I was really surprised. Would LOVE to see Paul McCartney come on this show at some point.

N.W.Girl
03-16-2007, 02:22 PM
:mickey: I am irritated with Howard Stern- he is encouraging people to vote for Sanjaya which takes votes & a chance from people who really deserve it. I hope this trend doesn't last. I can't listen to Sanjaya anymore!!!

Do you believe that!!!! IF this really happens and Sanjaya wins (God forbid) Thats the end of American Idol. I hope HS doesnt have that big of an influence to the end.

I feel sorry for Sanjaya for being put in the middle of this.

WEDTOPIA
03-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Well ,I'll pipe in with my 2 cents , since I'm a regular Idol Head ,but haven't posted on this thread for the last 2 years.

First and foremost ,Sanjaya is the least talented top 20 pick since this shows inception. Randy , Paula ,and Simon were sleeping at his initial audition and all the way through Hollywood. This guy is a rank amateur among amateurs. That being said ,I actually feel sorry for him because, ....A. He's a nice guy .... B. It's not his fault that Howard Stern and his ilk are abusing the system. And ....C. He doesn't want to be there. He was happy to make the top 20 but after the first vote ,he figured he should have been gone. He WANTS to be gone. It's so obvious in his face. Plus he seems like he is tanking his performances even worse than he would normally perform them. If he did win , American Idol would be crippled.

Lakisha - Booming voice , but a zero in the personality department. It's virtually impossible for her to smile. If she won ,it would have almost the same result for the shows' integrity ,as Sanjaya winning.

Melinda - The odds on favorite. I disagree with y'all on her demeanor. I believe she is actually humbled by all the praise. It's not unusual for some very talented people to feel totally inadequate and untalented. She knows she can sing , but has no idea of her possibilities. I think , however ,that she would be an odd choice as American Idol.

Stephanie - The stigma of the 3rd best voice. Always being compared to Lakisha and Melinda. Personally ,of those 3 , I think that Stephanie has the best look , personality , and pop voice. But she ain't gonna win it.

Gina - Has the look. Great pipes. Nice personality. But ,she is overwhelmed by some big voices.

Jordan - See Gina. Although I'd pick her over Gina. Will probably come in around 5th.

Hayley - Nice smile. Decent personality. But ,she's too " Broadway " to be an Idol. She'll probably make more money doing that anyway.

Phil - Can't get past his head. Looks bad with or without the hat. He has a decent voice ,but seems overpowering and loud sometimes. His song selection is killing him.

Chris S. - Lost points when he took his glasses off. He isn't willing to compromise his style. Which is fine ( See Chris Daughtry ) But then ,Chris Daughtry has the look. This Chris reminds me of Flo from the 60's group The Turtles. He needs a breakout performance this week.

Chris R. - I'm not digging his style. He sounds country ,which is fine - I like country. But , his voice is so low projection. He has no range . He's getting by on looks.

Blake - He's actually pretty cool and different. My guess is he'll be the top guy. His selling audience would be somewhat limited though.

For me ,no matter who wins , this has got to be the strangest edition of American Idol to date.

:mickey:

NotaGeek
03-17-2007, 01:31 AM
There is NO way Sanjaya would win. There is a clause that says the producers have the final word. He'll be gone... if it was really all about the votes they would publicize the number of votes that come in and not just use the "bottom three" without specifics.

The whole Howard Stern and Vote for the Worst thing is stupid. Why would you care if you hated Idol or any show like it? I wouldn't waste my time to on a show to be funny. That's SO weird.

MNNHFLTX
03-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Here are my thoughts:

Sanjaya He's awful. DW told me that people at her work are voting for him because they feel bad for him ...

See, I don't understand why people would do that. If they vote for him because he's not a very good singer and they feel sorry for him, all they are succeeding in doing is making him a big joke on the show (which is what Vote for the Worst wants). If it were me, I wouldn't want to be kept on the show for that reason.

I finally had the chance to watch the show (I had recorded it). I thought that Diana Ross actually had some really good advice for the singers, although I don't think many of them benefitted from it. The two performances I really enjoyed were Melinda's and Jordin's. And I liked the way Blake and Chris S. shook up their arrangements (but Chris has got to wear his glasses--they make him look distinctive).

HndrdPrcnt
03-20-2007, 03:25 PM
For me ,no matter who wins , this has got to be the strangest edition of American Idol to date.

A BIG Ditto to that!!!! If I have to listen to Sanjaya for much longer, I may just stop watching. AI doesn't want that, so I am sure they will intercede soon!! :fingers:

PirateLover
03-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Thought I'd post some song spoilers for tonight. Sanjaya's choice is of particular interest... highlight to read

**Tonight’s song choices listed in performance order:

* Haley Scarnato - “Tell Him” by The Exciters.
* Chris Richardson - “Don’t Let The Sun Catch You Crying” by Gerry and the Pacemakers.
* Stephanie Edwards - “You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me” by Dusty Springfield.
* Blake Lewis - “Time Of The Season” by the Zombies. He beatboxes at the start. (probably kinda like the record).
* Lakisha Jones - “Diamonds are Forever,” Shirley Bassey (from the Bond movie).
* Phil Stacey - “Tobacco Road” by The Nashville Teens.
* Jordin Sparks - “I Who Have Nothing” by Tom Jones.
* Sanjaya Malakar - “You Really Got Me” by the Kinks
* Gina Glocksen - “Paint it Black” by the Rolling Stones.
* Chris Sligh - “She’s Not There” by the Zombies
* Melinda Doolittle - “As Long as He Needs Me” from the musical “Oliver!”***

PirateLover
03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Loved tonight! Quickie recap:

Faves: Blake, Chris S, Jordan

Least Faves: Sanjaya (it was just ridiculous and that girl was too much. I DON'T GET IT!!!), Phil (too manic), and Gina (way off pitch)

Emily
03-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm sorry, I know I am going to burn for this one, but I can't stop laughing at that little girl on the show tonight!! :funny: As we say in the South, bless her little heart! I know she's just a star-struck fan, but I was just cracking up watching her!

Anyway, I actually LOVED Blake tonight, I thought he was the best. :thumbsup: I'm a fan of his anyway, and I thought he did a great job, very cool version of that song. Jordin was also right up there for me tonight. Haley improved a lot. Surprisingly, I thought Gina was a little disappointing this week. Sanjaya (again, bless his heart) was marginally better but still needs to vacate... immediately! Chris Sligh was good, as was Melinda (naturally). I'm just eh :bored: on Chris R., Lakisha, Phil and Stephanie this week.

LibertyTreeGal
03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
I actually enjoyed Haley this week!

Sanjaya was awful -- but is was his best performance yet. That is so sad..... he looked even more like Michael Jackson -- where did he get those gloves? He looked like a street urchin -- like Oliver Twist masquerading as Michael Jackson singing the Stones. I like the kid personally, but watching him hurts.

Blake was :thumbsup: and I liked Christ S too, that was a good song choice :thumbsup:

Was it just me, Melinda didn't do a thing for me, am I insane? And watching Lakisha do the Bond girl thing -- I don't know, I think there were a hundred better songs for her to do.

I missed Phil and Jordin, so I can't comment there....

NotaGeek
03-21-2007, 12:54 AM
People, we are too OLD! That little girl is why Sanjaya is winning! She loved him!

I actually thought he was A LOT better than Gina or Chris Sligh. Chris seemed strangely akward and Gina was just :ack: .

As far as Sanjay's outfit, that the style ... that was a sweatshirt with extra lon cuffs and holes for the thumbs. Totally in style right now, and his whole outfit was taken right off the back of any male star under 25 in hollywood. :confused:

My personal favorites this week, in order:

Melinda
Jordan (GO ARIZONA!)
Chris Richardson
Blake Lewis

By the way, Melinda choosing a song from the movie Oliver! as a "British Invasion" number was a S-T-R-E-T-C-H and not all that fair considering everyone else had to find a way to work through a weird Brit number from the mid-60's.

murphy1
03-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Sanjaya:confused: :ack: it is so sad. That poor little girl is going to have to live her life with that moment permanently ingrained! I think they should ban that song he did, I remember when Ryan on Season 1 "sang" it and it was horrible!

JanetMegan
03-21-2007, 07:48 AM
I only watched the first half but I had to chime in that I thought Jordin was AMAZING this week. She had this moment that reminded me of one of my all time favorite Idol moments ever (true Idol fans will get this...)

Remember when Clay walked onstage in black with the single spotlight and sang Solitare??

That was Jordin for me tonight, very very good!

I also enjoyed Blake a lot and find him to be a great overall performer (plays to the audience well.) Although his last two notes were dreadfully pitchy!!

DVC2004
03-21-2007, 08:21 AM
I like Blake as well. I think he is great. Jordin is the best of the ladies, I think. I am ready for Samjaya and Phil Stacey to go home.

GothMickey
03-21-2007, 08:54 AM
I hope Sanjaya wins. American Idol deserves it.

Ian
03-21-2007, 09:01 AM
My :twocents: ...

Haley Scarnato - I know it's popular to hate on Haley, but I thought she was good last night. Liked the song choice, loved the performance, and I thought her vocal was very good.

Chris Richardson - I must have some inherent prejudice against Justin Timberlake impersonators or something, because I just don't get him at all. His voice is way too thin ... he has no power at all ... he sounds whiny and nasally ... I think he's terrible.

Stephanie Edwards - I thought she gave a solid performance. Not spectacular, but not bad either. Good enough to stick around.

Blake Lewis - I liked his arrangement of the song and the beatboxing he did with it, but I didn't think it was his best vocal performance. I thought he sounded a little off-key in spots. Overall it was good, though.

Lakisha Jones - :sleepin:

Huh?? Whuh?? Did someone say something? Sorry, Lakisha put me to sleep again.

Seriously ... she's as dull and boring as paint. The more I see her, the less I like her. She always looks like she's just going through the motions as if she's already won the competition or something and is just waiting around to sign her deal ... she's mailing it in. Horrible.

Phil Stacey - Eh ... Tobacco Road?? I mean come on ... pick a better song, dude. When you have the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks, and so many other great bands to choose from, why would you pick this weirdo song?

Jordin Sparks - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Best performance of the night. Hands down. She was outstanding. A true star.

Sanjaya Malakar - Nothing anyone says will convince me this guy isn't embarrassing himself on national television week in and week out. The outfit was ridiculous the song was awful, his vocal was horrendous, and once again he was the worst performer of the night.

Too bad Gina is probably going to be the one to go home because ...

Gina Glocksen - Ugh ... Gina, honey ... I love ya, but ... yikes. Not good. And it was a shame, too, because I think she should have rocked out with this song. Paint It Black is a classic and it really cooks. It was perfect for her voice. It needed to be more throaty and growly and ... man, I don't know ... it wasn't good, dawg. It wasn't good. I suspect she's outta here.

Which is too bad, because she's been one of my favorites up until last week. She's just not being herself ...

Chris Sligh - Not his best ... kinda odd actually ... but not enough for him to go home. He needs to step it up, though. He's also been one of my favorites, but he's getting outshone by a lot of the other performers in the last two weeks. He could be at risk next week if he doesn't nail it.

Melinda Doolittle - I can't believe she chose a song from Oliver of all things. Honestly, that should be enough to send her home just by itself.

She annoys me to no end. I've gone from finding her mildly annoying to just outright disliking her.

JanetMegan
03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know who dialanidol says is going home tonight? If so will you post it in "spoiler type?"

murphy1
03-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I think Hayley is adorable! She could definitely cut out a pop career for herself.

GrumpyFan
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Haley was great and Melinda was fabulous as always, LaKisha was okay, but a bit lacking in her performance. The guys did better tonight, but still not as good as the ladies. Sanjaya shocked everybody, but I'm not sure if it's enough to keep him out of the bottom 3.

My Bottom 3 guesses:
Sanjaya - shocking, but not great
Chris Richardson - lacking something?
Gina Glocksen - bad rendition of Paint it Black

I think Chris is going home.

pogo
03-21-2007, 11:36 AM
To WDWacky: I agree with you on some points but on some you are way to far wrong.

Haley Scarnato - I know it's popular to hate on Haley, but I thought she was good last night. Liked the song choice, loved the performance, and I thought her vocal was very good.
I agree, this girl can sing and even if eliminated, trust me, she will be a star.

Chris Richardson - I must have some inherent prejudice against Justin Timberlake impersonators or something, because I just don't get him at all. His voice is way too thin ... he has no power at all ... he sounds whiny and nasally ... I think he's terrible.
He's not terrible, just needs the right vocal coach. He has excellent range. Not the best, but not the worst.

Stephanie Edwards - I thought she gave a solid performance. Not spectacular, but not bad either. Good enough to stick around.
I was shocked that she sounded so poorly tonight. Very shakey at the start and Very pitchy.

Blake Lewis - I liked his arrangement of the song and the beatboxing he did with it, but I didn't think it was his best vocal performance. I thought he sounded a little off-key in spots. Overall it was good, though.

Blake is unique enough to win this whole thing. He will make a lot of money, if he has the right label behind him.

Lakisha Jones -

Huh?? Whuh?? Did someone say something? Sorry, Lakisha put me to sleep again.

Seriously ... she's as dull and boring as paint. The more I see her, the less I like her. She always looks like she's just going through the motions as if she's already won the competition or something and is just waiting around to sign her deal ... she's mailing it in. Horrible.

I did not like her song choice, but she has everything the recording industry was looking for about twenty years ago, except physical looks. She will, however become a HUGH star. I thought her vocal last night was technically perfect, but she chose the wrong song.

Phil Stacey - Eh ... Tobacco Road?? I mean come on ... pick a better song, dude. When you have the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks, and so many other great bands to choose from, why would you pick this weirdo song?
Phil has the best voice of all the guys here but he hasn't shown it in a couple of weeks. I think he is going home tonight !

Jordin Sparks - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Best performance of the night. Hands down. She was outstanding. A true star.
She continues to show why she should be this years American Idol ! The best performance of the night. She has the total package that the record companies are looking for and I expect she has already secured a deal with Arista Records.

Sanjaya Malakar - Nothing anyone says will convince me this guy isn't embarrassing himself on national television week in and week out. The outfit was ridiculous the song was awful, his vocal was horrendous, and once again he was the worst performer of the night.Give the Dude a break. He picked the right song for his voice, and presented it well. He will not be around until the end, but I'm afraid he will be here for a while.

Too bad Gina is probably going to be the one to go home because ...

Gina Glocksen - Ugh ... Gina, honey ... I love ya, but ... yikes. Not good. And it was a shame, too, because I think she should have rocked out with this song. Paint It Black is a classic and it really cooks. It was perfect for her voice. It needed to be more throaty and growly and ... man, I don't know ... it wasn't good, dawg. It wasn't good. I suspect she's outta here.

Which is too bad, because she's been one of my favorites up until last week. She's just not being herself ...
Gina did not do good last night and I'm sure she will be in the bottom three tonight. However, she is one of my favorites to secure a record deal.

Chris Sligh - Not his best ... kinda odd actually ... but not enough for him to go home. He needs to step it up, though. He's also been one of my favorites, but he's getting outshone by a lot of the other performers in the last two weeks. He could be at risk next week if he doesn't nail it.
Chris needs help. He has the talent but...... He is good enough to be here to this point, but he is not living up to his potential.

Melinda Doolittle - I can't believe she chose a song from Oliver of all things. Honestly, that should be enough to send her home just by itself.
She annoys me to no end. I've gone from finding her mildly annoying to just outright disliking her. She is with out a doubt the best "singer" in the competetion ! Her range is huge. Her tone is perfect. Her stage presence is excellent With that said, I don't know if she has the uniqueness to be a star.

As you can see, we don't agree across the board, but this is what I see from my experience. :D

WEDTOPIA
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Haley and Jordin's stock went up last night . ( Melinda's has already split 3 for 1 ) .Sanjaya could sing the phone directory and still get votes, if that star-struck little girl is any evidence of his teen heart -throb status . Blake, Chris S. , and Lakisha have enough steam to get through several more rounds. The rest are all vulnerable , as far as I'm concerned.

PirateLover
03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Dialidol claims that the following are in play:

***2-11 (B3) Jordin Sparks
-
3-11 (B3) Chris Richardson
-
6-11 (B3) Stephanie Edwards
-
6-11 (B3) Chris Sligh
-
6-11 (B3) Gina Glocksen
-
6-11 (B3) Haley Scarnato***

SBETigg
03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
As far as Sanjay's outfit, that the style ... that was a sweatshirt with extra lon cuffs and holes for the thumbs. Totally in style right now, and his whole outfit was taken right off the back of any make star under 25 in hollywood. :confused:

Actually, not. That whole outfit was so two years ago. The long cuffs and holes for thumbs is way over, as over as my attempt at teenspeak.

But nice try, Sanjaya. I don't feel bad for him. He'll be on the Idol tour and it will always be his little claim to fame, like the Chicken Little guy Kevin from last year. He creeps me out, though, and I fear he will go all the way.

NotaGeek
03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Actually, not. That whole outfit was so two years ago. The long cuffs and holes for thumbs is way over, as over as my attempt at teenspeak..

Really? Because I just saw that outfit on 2 different shows on MTV this week. Interesting...

PirateLover
03-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Really? Because I just saw that outfit on 2 different shows on MTV this week. Interesting...

Well I guess I'll chime in on this one. Both of you are right in a way. Sherri is correct in that the fashion was HUGE well over a year ago, especially the gloves with cut off fingers. It is starting to die out but people do still sport it. Lindsay Lohan is still seen quite often with the gloves. But in my opinion neither the clothes nor the song fit Sanjaya at all. He did show more power, I'll give him that, but the ending was just terrible and the whole thing seemed like one big joke to me.

PirateLover
03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
And just to add, I can't exactly remember what he wore. If it was just a long shirt with a hole cut in it for his thumb... well I was doing that to my Catholic school uniform back in 2000 :secret:

NotaGeek
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Here's the really weird thing... my best friend used to be a big wig at the GAP and they sponsored their clothes in the past. WELL ... up until they get to 6 contestants they actually have 1 stylist for each 2 contestants and 1 hairstylist and makeup artist for each 2 contestants and they get sent CRATES of clothes to choose from!

Imagine ... Sanjaya picked those outfits (which I thought looked ridiculous on him by the way!) with the assistance of a professional! :ack:

LibertyTreeGal
03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I am having a hard time dealing with who the bottom two were, and who got sent home.....

If this is the effect of Stern and vote for the worst, the show is over.

NotaGeek
03-22-2007, 12:13 AM
I think it was a fair vote. We'll chat more about this tomorrow I am sure... I don't want to spoil the fun.