PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 6

Pages : 1 [2] 3

citizensnoopy
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I think others (read: Sanjaya) deserved to go more than Stephanie, but I am not surprised. She has been kind of forgettable during the past few weeks.

LibertyTreeGal
03-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Did you SEE the look on Gina's face when she was placed in a group of three with Sanjaya? She looked terrified and like she was going to cry. Poor thing...

I didn't think that either Staphanie or Chris were in the bottom two as far as performances went on Tuesday. When they had the top 24, I would have chosen her to maybe make the top 6. Oh well, everything changes on the big stage.

*sigh* I just wish that Heroes was on.

murphy1
03-22-2007, 06:55 PM
You guys are cracking me up with the Sanjaya fashion report!! He wore a sweater the week before, he looked like Danny Tanner LOL.

I heard Peter Noone say even though Sanjaya can't sing, he can be packaged to sell records. I have this image of Sanjaya and Melinda in the final two, which is pretty sad.

Melanie
03-22-2007, 07:28 PM
As the season moves on, I realize how disappointed I am this year. Not only because of the voting thing, but also the "talent" that the judges chose for the final 24. It's weak.

PirateLover
03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
As the season moves on, I realize how disappointed I am this year. Not only because of the voting thing, but also the "talent" that the judges chose for the final 24. It's weak.

I agree. I am seeing what others are saying about Lakisha. Great voice, not much personality when she sings. And Melinda is always pitch perfect but I wish she would switch it up. I mean come on- a song from a musical made famous by Shirley Bassey was out of her comfort zone? Who believes that? Haley is nothing special, Sligh is good but there is something off. I love Blake but I'll admit that his range isn't that great. Jordin is really the only one who seems to have a great voice and personality at this time. And Sanjaya... oh please... i don't even know how he got to the top 42 let alone top 12. It is definitely a different season, that is for sure.

2Epcot
03-22-2007, 10:19 PM

I agree. In all the season of watching Idol, I never had less enthusiasum for the final 24. I probably like Jordin Sparks the most, but don't really have anybody I'm excited about winning.

MNNHFLTX
03-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Disappointing is a good way to describe most of the performers on the show this year. Even when the vocals are good, there just doesn't seem to be that "spark" there. Oh well, maybe it is just me getting tired of this show. I'm not even voting and am merely a spectator this year.

Jeff
03-24-2007, 10:45 AM

I agree with this. If the judges did their job at picking the best 24 it would not mater if the twisted folks who just like to ruin others fun (Howard Stern, etc..) had a "vote for the worst". There should be no real "worst" out of the top 24. Problem solved.

That being said, I am tired of how the judges keep putting Gina in a "rock" box. Not that I like her, I think she should go soon, but the poor girl wouldn't dare try anything but "edgy or rocky".

PirateLover
03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Song spoilers for tonight:

:spoiler:
Lakisha Jones - “Love Has a Mind of It’s Own” by Donna Summer
Blake Lewis - “Love Song” by the Cure
Jordin Sparks - “Hey Baby” by No Doubt
Chris Richardson - “Don’t Speak” by No Doubt
Gina Glocksen - “Just Like A Pill” by Pink
Phil Stacey - “Every Breath You Take” by the Police
Haley Scarnato - “True Colors” by Cyndi Lauper
Sanjaya Malakar - “Sunday Morning” by Maroon 5
Melinda Doolittle - “Sunset People” by Donna Summer
Chris Sligh - “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic” by the Police:spoiler:

PirateLover
03-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Looks like some of the contestants have been indecisive about their songs this week. There is a slightly different set of song spoilers floating around now. We will know in about 45 mins what is right but I figured I'd post anyway... I really hope Sanjaya sticks with his song from the first spoiler set.
:spoiler:
Blake Lewis - “Love Song” by the Cure and 311
Chris Richardson - “Don’t Speak” by No Doubt
Chris Sligh - “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic” by the Police
Gina Glocksen - Pretenders ballad
Haley Scarnato - “True Colors” by Cyndi Lauper
Jordin Sparks - “Hey Baby” by No Doubt
Lakisha Jones - Donna Summer song
Melinda Doolittle - Donna Summer song
Phil Stacey - “Every Breath You Take” by the Police
Sanjaya Malakar - “Bathwater” by No Doubt
I cannot imagine him doing this song, and as its one of my No Doubt faves I hope he doesn't ruin it for me forever!:spoiler:

DizneyFreak2002
03-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Samjaya is awesome... See how he made that little girl cry??? That is Michael Jackson from the 80's... making the females cry...

Of course, she could have been crying cause her ears were hurting from his singing lol.....

PirateLover
03-27-2007, 07:23 PM
**Also wanted to add that tonights show is 67 mins. long. That's right. They are going over their 8-9 time slot by 7 mins. The Idol machine rolls on shamelessly...

citizensnoopy
03-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Sanjaya's hair ... oh, my. :funny:

Ian
03-28-2007, 06:24 AM
Here's my thoughts from last night, in order from worst to first:

Sanjaya Malakar - He was his usual, pathetically bad self last night. Simon had it right, though ... no matter what he's coming back, which is a sin. He really stinks.

Chris Sligh - Chris has been off for three or four weeks now. I think he's got a case of nerves or something, because he can sing. He just hasn't shown it. I suspect he goes home this week.

Chris Richardson - I'm sorry ... I don't know what singer the judges are listening to, but I think he's just awful. Putrid. Even my 4 year old last night said, "He's horrible. He sounds like a girl."

Haley Scarnato - She was not nearly as good last night as she's been the past two weeks. If Chris Sligh doesn't go, she probably will (just based on past track record). I just don't think it was quite the right song for her ... she wasn't as bad as the judges made her out to be, but certainly not great.

Lakisha Jones - Another vocally perfect performance by Lakisha. I actually thought she showed a little more personality this week, too.

Melinda Doolittle - I couldn't get past the fact that she looked like my Grandmother, but she sang well. I still find her about as interesting as a bag of hammers, though.

Phil Stacey - Phil was GOOD last night. I haven't liked him at all thus far, but I thought he chose a tough song and did very well.

Blake Lewis - He was good, as usual. I didn't think he was quite as good as the judges did, though. The last two weeks I've thought his voice sounded a little thin and ... dare I say it? ... pitchy.

Gina Glocksen - There's my girl!! She's back ... great song choice, great performance, great everything. She may not win this, but she'll get a job when it's over.

Jordin Sparks - As far as I'm concerned they should end this thing right now and give Jordin the contract. She's incredible.

pogo
03-28-2007, 07:23 AM
I agree with WDWacky this week. :thumbsup:

Sanjaya needs to go..... but I don't think he will .:(

Jordin is improving every week and she is pulling away from everyone at this point. :D

MNNHFLTX
03-28-2007, 07:34 AM
I actually think Sanjay improved this week, but his hair distracted me so much that I didn't realize it until 3/4 of the way through his song.

JanetMegan
03-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Ok here's my thoughts in order of performance (I think...)

Lakisha-Hmm that was kind of boring for me tonight, I mean it was good, but that song has been oversung on Idol and I was just kind of eh. She sounds the same every week.

Chris Sligh-Man I've been a big fan of his since day 1 but, dawg, that was not good. I mean, really not good dawg.

Gina Glocksen-Wow nice, one of the best two from tonight I thought. Good song choice, I like how she just stood there and sung it for once. I get tired of them trying to run all around the stage and sing. I mean it's tv, not a full blown concert in an arena.

Phil Stacey-My other top pick from last night. That was great, he sounded really good I think. Good song choice, he looked better, except someone with no hair should not put make up in their eyebrows to compensate. (Was anyone else thinking Kitchen Kaberet when he was singing?)

Haley Scarnato-Man she stinks. I mean really, Wacky I know what you see in her, long legs hot body etc. but I just don't think she's any good. I think she was one of the worst last night and she killed one of my favorite songs...

Blake Lewis-Dawg that wasn't very good last night either, and I really like him. It was kind of slow and boring, forgettable. That shirt was AWFUL!!

Melinda Doolittle-Hmm honestly I thought she looked better this week. The hair flip at the bottom somehow helps compensate for the lack of neck...good song, sung it well, but she and Lakisha just are the same old same old each week. I mean they are wonderful singers but I'm just not sure they are "Idol" material. Will they sell records?? I just don't know.

Sanjaya Malakar-Oh man. Really. Bad. Speechless. Actually I'm never speechless and here is what I am starting to think...I think he is doing some of this on purpose now just to say well forget you all ya know? The lyrics of the song, the attitude, the hair. Simon summed it up correctly when he said "I don't think it matters anymore what we say or think."

Jordin Sparks-I'm starting to join the Jordin bandwagon. She was way better last week but I like that she is versatile. Oh another note though who on earth picked that outfit? I read on another site that it was like naughty Britney Spears combined with a tablecloth from an Italian place and paired with those ugly grey knee socks. Ick.

Chris Richardson-I just don't like him. I think he's boring and not that great of a singer. I actually like to see him go before Chris Sligh. Who at least is a little interesting.

aprilisis
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
I agree with everything you said, Janet- except about Melinda. I think she is great. I totally agree about Blake's shirt- that was the worst shirt ever!!! I thought Gina & Phil were both really good. You know, I have stopped voting now. The fact that Sanjaya is still there totally discourages me from voting. My guess this week for the bottom 3: Chris S., Hayley, and Chris R. I wish Sanjaya would be there, but I don't foresee it.

MNNHFLTX
03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Lol--I thought Blake's shirt looked good. Guess I have no fashion sense. ;)

One thing I forgot to add in my last post--is Ryan really as short (and petite, if you can call a guy petite) as he seems? All the girls are looking like Amazons next to him. :scratch:

Ian
03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Haley Scarnato-Man she stinks. I mean really, Wacky I know what you see in her, long legs hot body etc. but I just don't think she's any good. I think she was one of the worst last night and she killed one of my favorite songs...That's not it at all ... I think you sell her way short.

When she's been good (which was at least 2 of the last 3 weeks) she's been very good. She can sing.

I think sometimes she gets a little overwhelmed by what's going on, but she's not nearly as bad as you make her out to be. She's also got a lot of pop-star charisma going for her that a lot of the others don't have.

At the end of the day, is she the best? No. But she's definitely better (at this point) than Sanjaya, Chris Richardson, and (lately) Chris Sligh. She's also been better than Phil a few of the recent weeks.

She's not going to win, but she deserves to be around a few more weeks.

Melanie
03-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Chris Sligh was terrible. Phil, Gina and Jordin were good! Everyone else was in the middle. I don't even take Sanjaya into account.

But I must say again, I'm wondering why I'm even bothering this year. :bored:

Marker
03-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I think Sanjaya is trying to get kicked off.... or at least trying to be "bad". How do you avoid public ridicule, be in on the joke. Can't blame him, good or not he knows he's not on the level of the others, you've seen it in his face when he wasn't voted off before. Being on the show because of the "vote for the worst" people would be hard on you pride from week to week, especially if you are seriously trying.

For me, Jordan, Lakisha, Melinda, and Beat-Box Boy should be the final four, with Gina as a alternate. The order of departure of the others doesn't really matter.

DizneyFreak2002
03-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Maybe the fact that Sanjaya continues to survive, and the fact that these home voting contests can be rigged so easily will discourage these kinds of shows from allowing the voting from home audiences determine who wins these TALENT shows... Or do what Dancing with the stars does... Go to a point system, and have the judges scores count more than the home audience vote..

jedigrrrl
03-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I'll miss Brandon- I thought he was such a cutie. BUT...I guess he did deserve to go. He was still better than Sanjaya, though. This is just going to make me vote 100 times for everyone else next week, though. :mickey: I am irritated with Howard Stern- he is encouraging people to vote for Sanjaya which takes votes & a chance from people who really deserve it. I hope this trend doesn't last. I can't listen to Sanjaya anymore!!!

I think this season was BOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIING until Howard started all this. (I listen to him every day, btw) Now American Idol is Fun again. The contestants are terrible this year, but I am having a great time with Sanjaya. I voted for him like 30 times yesterday.

jedigrrrl
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=WDWacky;
If Fox continues to ignore the existence of this group, they run the risk of ending up with someone like Sanjaya as their American Idol. That would basically ruin the show.

They have to step up and change the voting process.[/QUOTE]

Why? Its the same as anyone who starts a website in order to get votes for their favorite. votefortheworst got lucky that sanjaya is so disastrously fun that the media caught on and now MORE people know about it and are so bored with the competition this year(no one deserves to be an Idol this year in my opinion) that they are going along with it.

If you love a contestant, then support that person as much as other people are supporting Sanjaya

Marker
03-28-2007, 08:47 PM
I think this season was BOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIING until Howard started all this. (I listen to him every day, btw) Now American Idol is Fun again. The contestants are terrible this year, but I am having a great time with Sanjaya. I voted for him like 30 times yesterday.

And at what cost? Frankly, I don't find ridiculing a young man to be all that entertaining. It's no different than a "bring a nerd", or "invite an ugly girl" party. That's not fun, that's mean.

If people don't like the show, then don't watch. But why is it the instinct of so many people to ruin the fun for everyone else? Is that really the only thing they can find to bring joy to their lives?

I guess it's the same mentality that makes Disney such a huge target for so many people.... it's successful, so let's bring it down. American Idol is successful, so let's bring it down. If they can't have their own success, then they need to tear down the success of others. That's being a bully.

Sorry for the rant. But it really frustrates me.

jedigrrrl
03-28-2007, 09:04 PM
And at what cost? Frankly, I don't find ridiculing a young man to be all that entertaining. It's no different than a "bring a nerd", or "invite an ugly girl" party. That's not fun, that's mean.

Sanjaya is famous now and will make tons of money. wow, how mean of me.

and he seemed pretty cocky yesterday on the show. He's having fun, too.

Ian
03-28-2007, 09:40 PM
If people don't like the show, then don't watch. But why is it the instinct of so many people to ruin the fun for everyone else? Is that really the only thing they can find to bring joy to their lives?Amen, Mark. Some woman that works with my wife voted 50 times for Sanjaya for the same reason ... she thinks it's funny.

It's a shame so many people in the world don't know how to find their remote controls anymore and instead have to ruin something that others like simply because they don't.

And honestly, I think anyone who would waste THAT MUCH of their time to vote for someone who isn't worthy of even being on the show must have some other issues unrelated to American Idol.

Personally, I love the show and I would never vote fifty times for anyone. Who has the time??

PirateLover
03-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I listen to Stern on the occasion but I think this whole thing has really gotten old. I mean yea, it's good for a laugh, but he doesn't deserve to be there. And actually, American Idol viewership is down 12% this season. It's still a juggernaut, but this whole Sanjaya thing isn't really doing anything positive for the show. It is not right that Chris Sligh got kicked off before Sanjaya. The kid is a joke and he knows it, and its just sad. I have always thought the Vote for the worst people were twisted, but the truth is they never really had THAT much of an impact. I mean seriously, they take credit for Carrie Underwood and Taylor Hicks winning!:confused: But when you add the crazed Stern fans to the mix, well that takes it to a whole different level.

Ian
03-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Another thing I might remind all those Stern fans and Votetheworst people ...

It's not all fun and games. Chris Sligh's dreams were shattered tonight because they kept Sanjaya around.

Not to say that Chris would have been the Idol ... he's not good enough ... the point is he had to say goodbye to Sanjaya tonight knowing full well that it was he who should have been going home.

That must have been very hard for him and I have to hand it to him ... he did it with class. Although it's hardly Sanjaya's fault ...

My point is, I'm sure it seems like all fun and games to the people voting for him, but maybe they're forgetting (conveniently overlooking? rationalizing away?) the fact that those are real people on that stage with real dreams and, thus far, at least two people who have been sent home who shouldn't have been.

So next time you think about voting 30 or 50 times for a guy who stinks, maybe consider that you'll in effect be sending someone home who doesn't deserve to go.

Ian
03-28-2007, 09:56 PM
I mean seriously, they take credit for Carrie Underwood ......Carrie Underwood has sold over 5 million albums and won a Grammy ... I hardly think she qualifies as "the worst."

:rolleyes:

NotaGeek
03-29-2007, 01:00 AM
It is not right that Chris Sligh got kicked off before Sanjaya.

I disagree. I am not a fan of Sanjaya, but did you actually listen to Chris? He was really bad. Unfortunately he doesn't have that "cute" factor that can pull him through a bad night. Sanjaya may have been as boring as ever, but he has really good pitch, he knows his songs and he never has problems keep up with the beat. I agreed with the elimination, Sanjaya actually out did Chris, and that's the sad part.

I think I read somewhere that the production company of the Idol show reserves the right for the "last word" on elimination, so I doubt Sanjaya will be the idol.

It does make me crazy that people vote for the worst, but honestly, the outcome of the elimination doesn't matter. It's just a show. And, although everyone on the show is hoping for the best, by choosing to "make it" on the idol train they are kind of setting themselves up to be the brunt of the joke for awhile.

:soapbox:

tinkerbelle75
03-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Long gone are the days of Kelly,Ruben,and Clay.I think the voters have officially lost their minds.Haley reminds me of a Kidz Bop singer.:sick: (Those of you with tween girls will understand .)I think that if Sanjaya makes it much longer, it will be the downfall of American Idol. He is AWFUL and there are no other words except agony that come to mind when I hear he is about to be on.Simon says he will quit if hair boy wins.No Simon=No American Idol.It is so painful to watch this season.Chris R.,Sanjaya,and Haley should have gone before Chris S., even though he had a bad week this week.If they don't change the voting process,they won't have a show.
Thank you God for Tivo.Amen.

PirateLover
03-29-2007, 06:32 AM
I disagree. I am not a fan of Sanjaya, but did you actually listen to Chris? He was really bad. Unfortunately he doesn't have that "cute" factor that can pull him through a bad night. Sanjaya may have been as boring as ever, but he has really good pitch, he knows his songs and he never has problems keep up with the beat.

I completely and utterly disagree. Chris has a bad night, and probably wouldn't have made it much further, but Sanjaya should've been gone a long time ago and everyone know it. He knows his songs???? HE completely flubbed the lyrics in the middle and he also didn't know them when he was rehearsing with Gwen. You could tell in her voice that she thinks he kinda stinks. He went off pitch at points, didn't enunciate words (or pronunciate as Mizz Ross would say) and That hair was absolutely ridiculous. I will give him some credit in that he has some glimpses of a decent voice in there, but seriously come on. The guy is just becoming a parody of himself now. He did not deserve to make it to this point in the competition and needs to go. He will not win however. I'll guarantee that.

Ian
03-29-2007, 07:11 AM
I disagree. I am not a fan of Sanjaya, but did you actually listen to Chris? He was really bad. Unfortunately he doesn't have that "cute" factor that can pull him through a bad night. Sanjaya may have been as boring as ever, but he has really good pitch, he knows his songs and he never has problems keep up with the beat. I agreed with the elimination, Sanjaya actually out did Chris, and that's the sad part.Then we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I think you're completely wrong about Sanjaya. I don't think he has a talented bone in his body. He's God-awful.

Chris may have had an off-night, but there have been previous nights when he put on a great show. Either you can sing or you can't.

Chris could sing ... Sanjaya can't.

pogo
03-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Something needs to be changed if American Idol is to survive.

I would like to see them to change the voting structure and take the absolute power from the people, like they've done on "Rock Star".

Allow the people to vote, take the three with the least votes, and then the judges would pick one of the bottom three to go home.

This would solve several problems.

1) It will eliminate the person that deserves to be eliminated.
( Sanjaya seems like a nice kid, but whoever thinks he can sing on key with a nice pitch, does not know music. )

2) It takes the power from idiots of the world, like Stearn and his followers who think making fun of people is OK. ( Any one that laughs at another person's expence is sick. )

3) It assures the recording industry see's the talent either grow or get eliminated.

4) It will make for less controversey and a more enjoyable music experience for all. :D

tinkerbelle75
03-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Well said,Pogo.Except the "best man" didn't win either time on Rockstar,but at least it wasn't a humiliating joke like AI has been lately.

Tick-Tock
03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Another thing I might remind all those Stern drones and Votetheworst people ...

It's not all fun and games. Chris Sligh's dreams were shattered tonight because those idiots kept Sanjaya around.

Not to say that Chris would have been the Idol ... he's not good enough ... the point is he had to say goodbye to Sanjaya tonight knowing full well that it was he who should have been going home.

That must have been very hard for him and I have to hand it to him ... he did it with class. Although it's hardly Sanjaya's fault ...

My point is, I'm sure it seems like all fun and games to the people voting for him, but maybe they're forgetting (conveniently overlooking? rationalizing away?) the fact that those are real people on that stage with real dreams and, thus far, at least two people who have been sent home who shouldn't have been.

So next time you think about voting 30 or 50 times for a guy who stinks, maybe consider that you'll in effect be sending someone home who doesn't deserve to go.

:ditto:

Every week on the show opens up more opportunities, even for those that won't make it to the finale. When you get sent home early, you lose out. That's why I don't think keeping "the worst" is funny at all.

That said, it's also the judges' fault for putting him through in the first place.

2Epcot
03-29-2007, 11:42 AM
The guy is just becoming a parody of himself now. He did not deserve to make it to this point in the competition and needs to go.

I agree. I told my wife when we watched him performing with his crazy hair, he's just loving this now. He knows he's not that great of singer, people aren't voting him off, so he can just do whatever he wants now.

I would like to see them to change the voting structure and take the absolute power from the people, like they've done on "Rock Star"

Big Brother learned their lesson after the first season. The first Big Brother had other problems too, but the main one was letting the American public vote people out of the house. They took out all the most interesting people first. The next year new producers came in, and the public hasn't been allowed to vote on the Big Brother houseguests since.

Ian
03-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Allow the people to vote, take the three with the least votes, and then the judges would pick one of the bottom three to go home.

This would solve several problems.

1) It will eliminate the person that deserves to be eliminated.
( Sanjaya seems like a nice kid, but whoever thinks he can sing on key with a nice pitch, does not know music. )I agree, but the scary thing is that this week even THAT wouldn't have been enough to get Sanjaya booted, because he wasn't even IN the bottom three!!! :eek:

Which is mind-boggling ...

They need to switch vote off the worst ... that's the easiest way to fix their problem.

pogo
03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree, but the scary thing is that this week even THAT wouldn't have been enough to get Sanjaya booted, because he wasn't even IN the bottom three!!! :eek:

Which is mind-boggling...
Good point ! :thumbsup: However, he might not have made it this far if they were doing this in the first place. :D

DMApixie
03-29-2007, 01:28 PM
DD13 and I agree that unless the voting system is changed, Sanjaya could sing the "Alphabet Song" and not get voted off the show. :ack:

MNNHFLTX
03-29-2007, 06:04 PM

I would like to see them to change the voting structure and take the absolute power from the people, like they've done on "Rock Star".

This would solve several problems....

...4) It will make for less controversey and a more enjoyable music experience for all. :DAs much as I would like to change the voting system on American Idol too, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. There have been voting complaints pretty much since season two, and yet people keep coming back to watch it. In fact, I'm sure the producers are counting on the controversy to pull in more viewers. I was just thinking this morning that I have never heard so much chatter about American Idol as I do now on the morning news shows.

As for Sanjaya, I think he took the contest seriously at the beginning and was twisting in the wind a bit with all the initial criticism. Now I think he's just out there for the ride and to see what he can get away with.

WEDTOPIA
03-29-2007, 06:33 PM
For those that think it's a hoot to join in this vote for the lousiest deal , what if it was your son or daughter up there , really trying to get a break in show business and along comes a dud like Sanjaya to take away votes ? This is a legitamate talent contest with real money and professional careers at stake. Either these people who joke vote, haven't a whit of talent themselves or they haven't been able to break in to show biz .Otherwise ,they would understand what is involved in a professional singing career.

Having said all that ,the real problem here is Simon ,Paula, an Randy. They allowed Sanjaya to hang around into the top 24. As I stated before , these guys were asleep at the wheel at the original auditions ,and in Hollywood. They are responsible for Sanjaya being there. They left it open season for the wacked out voting we now see.

:mickey:

Ian
03-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Amen, WEDTOPIA. That's exactly what I was trying to say earlier. It's not all a big joke to the contestants, even if it may be to Howard Stern (although he's a 50 year old man who still finds potty humor funny, so take his opinion for what it's worth).

Beth, I think ratings have actually slipped this year, if I'm not mistaken. I actually think that, while this whole Sanjaya mess has drawn in some new people who are watching it solely for the "car wreck" aspect of this season, I think they've lost a lot of die-hards because of the mockery it's become.

Honestly, I'd think they'd be chomping at the bit to make a voting change because think about it .... of the five former Idol winners only two have had significant careers .... Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. Reuben, Fantasia, and Taylor haven't done a thing. It looks to me like the system they have now is flawed, because they're obviously not picking people with mass appeal.

jedigrrrl
03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I think I read somewhere that the production company of the Idol show reserves the right for the "last word" on elimination, so I doubt Sanjaya will be the idol.

This tarnishes the show's validity WAAAYYY more than any of the Sanjaya stuff.

Bethanymouse
03-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Long gone are the days of Kelly,Ruben,and Clay.I think the voters have officially lost their minds.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am very disappointed this season with many of the finalists.

Then we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I think you're completely wrong about Sanjaya. I don't think he has a talented bone in his body. He's God-awful.

Chris may have had an off-night, but there have been previous nights when he put on a great show. Either you can sing or you can't.

Chris could sing ... Sanjaya can't.

AGREE AGREE AGREE. Sanjaya is no good. There were plenty of people that tried out that were above and beyond his level. He has no power. His voice is medicore-I would even cringe to hear him sing in my church.

I agree. I told my wife when we watched him performing with his crazy hair, he's just loving this now. He knows he's not that great of singer, people aren't voting him off, so he can just do whatever he wants now.

I think you are on to something here. He had to know that was ridiculous. I mean C'mon who are you fooling here kid?

As for VFTW, whatever. Any press is good press in Hollywood. They claim to have a huge fan base voting, but I think a lot of the tweens are voting for Sanjaya not just VFTW. I wont let them take all the credit for this mess (though they want it to promote their site)

Has anyone noticed that normally when Simon says cruel things about the singers the audience boos, but when he talks about Sanjaya no one says anything, in fact there are often a few snickers going on......

I am just very disgusted......:sick:

PirateLover
03-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Beth, I think ratings have actually slipped this year, if I'm not mistaken. I actually think that, while this whole Sanjaya mess has drawn in some new people who are watching it solely for the "car wreck" aspect of this season, I think they've lost a lot of die-hards because of the mockery it's become.

Yup. As I said earlier, compared to last season, viewership is down 12%, and each week they lose a handful more than the week before. AI is by no means in dire straits, but this isn't really bringing anything positive their way...

Ian
03-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Was I crazy, or did I see Blake make a face when Chris said goodbye to Sanjaya?

It almost looked like he rolled his eyes like, "I don't know how you can do that without choking him."

Carol
03-29-2007, 09:51 PM
I think they've lost a lot of die-hards because of the mockery it's become.That would be me. I half watched after the whole Clay thing. However, I stopped watching totally after Taylor Hicks won. No way is he an American Idol. :ack:

I know my one little TV set turned off means nothing to Fox - but at least I'm doing something about my views with the voting system.

DizneeRX
03-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, I came on to this site looking for some good tips for my trip to Disney from some of you experts - but I got caught up in this American Idol discussion.

I've never been a big fan of the show and I just don't understand all of the hub-bub over this Sanjaya person. Is he really that bad? William Hung-type bad?

DizneyFreak2002
03-29-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm a Stern fan and I highly object to being called an IDIOT and a drone... A post of mine was removed here because I said this show was a joke.. But you can call us Stern fans drones and idiots??

As far as some-one's dreams getting shattered, that's the breaks... He put himself on national TV, knowing the odds were against him in winning... That is what happens when you COMPETE for something you know you aren't good enough to win.... So, when Sanjaya finally gets knocked off, and he will, will you say Sanjaya's dreams were ruined? After all, if he wasn't dreaming about being an American Idol, then he would not have tried out... Right?

That said, this will catch up to Sanjaya and he will get knocked off.. Face it, the people that got voted off weren't exactly the next Aretha Franklin or Frank Sinatra....

tinkerbelle75
03-30-2007, 01:10 AM
A little off topic but not totally...
Anybody remember Carmen Rasmussen from Season 2? (i think:confused: )
Her tour bus ( a very GREEN tour bus!)parked at Longhorn Steakhouse restaurant in Dothan,Alabama late this morning.We drove by and my DD noticed it.We both just kind of said "oh,ok...." and left it at that because we thought she was another one of those who stayed too long on the show.Well by the time we went back by in a couple of hours, there was a full MOB of people trying to get in to see her. The TV station was there too.Don't know if it was some special event or something,but somebody sure does like her around here!(it's not us,though)
I didn't know she had even done anything since the show!

RAIDER
03-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Well the news of Sanjaya and the Howard Stern website has made real news back in the UK ( mainly because of the links with Simon )

I watch it back at home, we get it a day later than yourselves ..... but to be honest i cant see a bloke winning it as the girls are so far ahead so as a neutral i do find it kinda funny as to be honest the blokes are truely awful this year compared to what
you have had in the past ....

The point is what we dont get ...HAS Sanjaya got a real fan base ????? Or is this a genuine wind up by the mischievious american people ??:confused:

Grizz16
03-30-2007, 04:20 AM
American Idol isn't a legitimate talent search competition to begin with, otherwise they wouldn't allow contestants who have sung professionally, albeit as backup singers. If Sanjaya wins, which I hope he does, it will cement how illegitimate is really is.

Ian
03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm a Stern fan and I highly object to being called an IDIOT and a drone... You're right ... poor word choices on my part. I've edited my original post.

Ian
03-30-2007, 08:04 AM
American Idol isn't a legitimate talent search competition to begin with, otherwise they wouldn't allow contestants who have sung professionally, albeit as backup singers. If Sanjaya wins, which I hope he does, it will cement how illegitimate is really is.I'm not sure why you say that. It's not like it's the Olympics or something. They're searching for the best new pop star in America. Why would that have to be an amateur?

Do you have any idea how many professional actors, actresses, singers, musicians, etc. there are floating around that are good enough to be stars that just haven't been discovered yet?

I hardly see how the fact that they allow professional backup singers on the show somehow makes the show "illegitimate"?

tinkerbelle75
03-30-2007, 09:09 AM
American Idol isn't a legitimate talent search competition to begin with, otherwise they wouldn't allow contestants who have sung professionally, albeit as backup singers. If Sanjaya wins, which I hope he does, it will cement how illegitimate is really is.

I disagree.What's not legitimate is what record companies try to pass off as real.American Idol puts their contestants through some of the most difficult things it possibly can.I'd like to see most of the "recording stars" that are popular today (e.g. Britney,JoJo,Hinder,rappers,etc.) get on stage and sing without the aid of reverb and background tracks and we can really see what they sound like.The beginning stages of AI are just the contestant and their TALENT without the aid of mixers,etc. Ashlee Simpson proved my point a while back....she was one of the most popular people in music till everybody found out she couldn't sing.Put Kelly Clarkson up against any singer out there-she'll blow them away.

DizneyFreak2002
03-30-2007, 06:25 PM
You're right ... poor word choices on my part. I've edited my original post.

It's cool...

I am predicting that Sanjaya is gone next week....

jedigrrrl
03-30-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm a Stern fan and I highly object to being called an IDIOT and a drone... A post of mine was removed here because I said this show was a joke.. But you can call us Stern fans drones and idiots??

As far as some-one's dreams getting shattered, that's the breaks... He put himself on national TV, knowing the odds were against him in winning... That is what happens when you COMPETE for something you know you aren't good enough to win.... So, when Sanjaya finally gets knocked off, and he will, will you say Sanjaya's dreams were ruined? After all, if he wasn't dreaming about being an American Idol, then he would not have tried out... Right?

That said, this will catch up to Sanjaya and he will get knocked off.. Face it, the people that got voted off weren't exactly the next Aretha Franklin or Frank Sinatra....

Well Said .
However, even though I have been watching American idol since season 1 and really like the show, it IS a joke and always has been. It doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to watch. I look forward to it every year.

And to all the people that say it is cruel to keep voting for Sanjaya... I'm sure you all mute the TV so you don't listen to all the CRUEL things Simon says to some of the contestants.

Glad I'm not the only IDIOT DRONE on here.;)

Nini
03-30-2007, 07:31 PM
The point is what we dont get ...HAS Sanjaya got a real fan base ????? Or is this a genuine wind up by the mischievious american people ??:confused:

I live here, and I'm not even sure :crazy: !! But I'm thinking it's a little of the former and a lot of the latter!

Denise :mickey:

Ian
03-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Well Said .
However, even though I have been watching American idol since season 1 and really like the show, it IS a joke and always has been. It doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to watch. I look forward to it every year.

And to all the people that say it is cruel to keep voting for Sanjaya... I'm sure you all mute the TV so you don't listen to all the CRUEL things Simon says to some of the contestants.

Glad I'm not the only IDIOT DRONE on here.;)I'm sorry, but this makes no sense at all. You're completely comparing apples and oranges.

First off, why do you call the show a joke? Because you it's a joke? Because I can 100% assure you it is NOT a joke to the majority of the people competing (especially not those in the final 10). Ask Carrie Underwood if she thought it was all one big joke?

And there is just no way you can compare Simon providing pointed artistic criticism to the contestants with people who are intentionally and maliciously trying to manipulate the outcome of the show.

To quote Jules from Pulp Fiction (well ... an edited quote ... ), "They ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport!!!"

2Epcot
03-30-2007, 08:15 PM

I know in Los Angeles American Idol has been getting beat by Dancing with the Stars. That was the reason they extended the show last week, though they said it was to allow more time for Gwen Stephani. I've also watched the show since season one, and am among those fans who are thinking about not watching anymore.

Do you have any idea how many professional actors, actresses, singers, musicians, etc. there are floating around that are good enough to be stars that just haven't been discovered yet?

I completly agree. I've edited a few projects involving actors and musicians trying to make it in the business. These people may have been performing for years, and just haven't got been discovered or given a chance. A lot of people have talent, but show biz is mostly about luck, getting the right part at the right time, or someone hearing you and giving you a break. American Idol gives people who just started or been struggling for years a chance for that big break.

2Epcot
03-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Well Said .
However, even though I have been watching American idol since season 1 and really like the show, it IS a joke and always has been

American Idol has produced a top selling country and pop artist, both with Grammys, and one Oscar winner. I wouldn't call that joke. No other reality, competition, or game shows, can say that. American Idol starts off the season very light hearted showing those who shouldn't be there, but in the end, real careers are made.

Melanie
04-02-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm not liking all the negativity coming from Chris Sligh after his ouster. I understand that he's bitter, and rightfully so, but his attitude doesn't set right with me for some reason. :unsure:

NotaGeek
04-02-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm not liking all the negativity coming from Chris Sligh after his ouster. I understand that he's bitter, and rightfully so, but his attitude doesn't set right with me for some reason. :unsure:
Ditto.

Bad form, I read an interview with him and he said he was "considering quitting 2 weeks ago" so he was OK with it. Whatever. Did you read he has put out 2 Christian CDs and goes to a conservative Christian school? And evidently lots of his Christian fans and his school are upset with his secular fame. Not that his fans have anything to worry about since his 15 minutes are up. :thumbsup:

citizensnoopy
04-02-2007, 12:43 AM
He also talked about getting kicked out of Bob Jones University and then said that he'd been trying to figure out a way to leave that college all along. Sounds like he likes to make excuses!

MNNHFLTX
04-02-2007, 10:29 AM
And to all the people that say it is cruel to keep voting for Sanjaya... I'm sure you all mute the TV so you don't listen to all the CRUEL things Simon says to some of the contestants. Actually I've taken to muting Sanjaya in the middle of his performances, as well as during the judge's remarks, for the most part. It is all getting much too painful to watch--like ripping a bandage off of a wound. :eek:

Ian
04-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Actually I've taken to muting Sanjaya in the middle of his performances, as well as during the judge's remarks, for the most part. It is all getting much too painful to watch--like ripping a bandage off of a wound. :eek:I have the opposite problem ... much like a car accident, I can't look away when he's on stage.

I want to ... but I can't avert my eyes ...

PirateLover
04-03-2007, 09:34 PM
I will start by saying that I thought tonight was GREAT! The only 3 who belong in the bottom are Phil, Haley, and of course his Sanj-highness as I have taken to calling him.
Now for my individual reviews, which I haven't had time to do lately.

Blake- I thought he was great, as usual. I'll be the first to admit that he doesn't have the best range and is not always perfectly on pitch but he is so endearing and his tonality is so good that even when he goes off pitch, it doesn't make me cringe.
Also he has the complete package- he always puts on a great show. I love the way he glides across the stage:number1:

Phil- I actually didn't think it started off bad but it was just weird and devoid of emotion. Also in the sequence with Tony Bennet, he looked like his hair was growing in, but I think he must've brought out the BIC before the show.

Melinda- This is one of my fave songs ever. Seriously, I love to sing and whenever I'm home alone I love to belt stuff out and this is one of my go-to's. I actually LOVE that she did the intro because I think its great. She was starting to bore me in past weeks, but I loved her this week. One thing you can say is she is always pitch-perfect which I am in awe of.:thumbsup:

Chris R- Sounded much less nasally and whiny this week to me. The nasal quality was still there a bit but not terrible. Overall a good performance, probably his best although I thought it got a little messy at the end. And I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that he just seems to be raiding Justin Timberlake's closet. The look is good on him, but maybe he should find a little bit different of a style. Even some of his moves were JT like.

Jordin- I thought she was great. She was on pitch and had emotion and just a great delivery. I'm a fan.:number1:

Gina- I thought she was really good again this week. It is unfair for Simon to compare her to the power singers. She is in a different genre and she did the song wonderfully well, I thought. Just because she doesn't have the power of another singer doesn't mean she isn't as good of a singer. There are many different types of good singers.:thumbsup:

Sanjaya- What can I say. Did you see the stash/beard he was trying to grow??? And the combover??? Was he channeling Clark Gable??? Again there is some semblence of a decent voice there but nowhere near American Idol quality, and this kid just makes me scratch my head. :scratch: It's gone beyond frustration at this point.

Haley- Um I was waiting for her to start slipping the dress off at the end there. :rub:
Seriously as soon as she came on screen I saw my dad's eyes dip straight to her chest. (We have a 60'' tv so it's easy to tell exactly where someone is looking and you can imagine how distracting those assets would be on a screen of such magnitude) Something about the whole thing with the dancing and the band and even the song choice just screamed burlesque to me. And it sounded completely off pitch in the middle, too.

Lakisha- Not as crazy about this as the judges. It wasn't bad but I just love the Lena Horne version and I don't really like it belted out and all amped up like that. And I don't like what she did at the end. But she's still good, I can't take that away from her. :)

WEDTOPIA
04-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Blake - Solid performance. Currently 3rd on my list.

Melinda - Really , why are we wasting time with this contest ? She is the best overall package in the bunch. 1st all the way.

Phil - He really does have a good voice. Just too much head. 5th .

Chris - I'm really not getting the buzz on this guy. Sanjaya keeps him off the bottom of the guy's list. 8th. Since Sanjaya apparently , has borrowed the immunity idol from another T.V. show , Chris is even odds to go ,along with Phil.

Gina - Good show. She pulled it off. 6th.

Sanjaya - Excellent! Marvelous ! Stupendous !Boffo ! Tremendous !
9th. ( actually about 140th )

Jordin - It was old-fashioned ? It's an old song Simon. Great pipes . 2nd on my list.

Hayley - She's taking the sexy thing to new heights. Fair performance. 7th.

Lakisha- Miss no-personality is straining to show some personality. As always , good vocals , though . Notice how she ignored Tony Bennetts' suggestion ? 4th. But her lack of charisma will never get me to rank her higher. Likability is at least 40 % of the deal.

Ian
04-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Blake - He was good, as usual. I thought Mack the Knife was a great choice for him.

Melinda - She's very talented, but I still don't see her as an American Idol. She reminds me more of a housewife from a 50's T.V. show.

Phil - Blech. I thought he was God-awful. If it was up to me, he'd go home.

Chris - Okay ... Chris Richardson proves I know absolutely nothing about current pop starts, because I think he is HORRIBLE!! I'd almost rank him below Sanjaya. His voice is not only not good, it's like hard on the ears. It's so thin and whiny. He just stinks, IMO.

Gina - Not bad ... definitely not as good as last week, but Tony Bennett week is going to be tough for a rocker chick. I thought she did the best she could.

Sanjaya - This is the last week I'm going to put up with him. If he doesn't go tonight (and I don't think he's going to) I'm not watching anymore.

Jordin - I love Jordin. I think she's the best of the bunch.

Hayley - Huh?? She sang something?? Oh ... okay ... well I'm sure she was good!

Lakisha - I missed her, because the entire show was so boring it finally put me to sleep. Tony Bennett may be some kind of legend, but his songs are dull.

Honestly, last night's entire episode was just totally boring. Those songs may be classics, but man they're snoozers. I struggled not to :sleepin: the entire show.

I swear they should all get a pass this week just for having to struggle through those awful, awful songs. I felt the same way about Diana Ross week ... how about picking some songs people actually want to listen to???

tinkerbelle75
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
My thoughts on this week's show:
Blake- my favorite. Not the best singer,but certainly the most versatile and most entertaining.:number1:
Haley- sexy only gets you so far.Her voice is so weak and she has no power.I agree totally with Simon that is sounded "pageanty".She's going to go soon if people will listen instead of looking...
LaKisha-she can certainly belt it out. She was my favorite at first but is becoming quite the "Diva" and doesn't respond well to criticism.
Melinda- she really has a great voice but just isn't hip enough to be the AI. I'd probably buy her CD, though.She looked great last night.The straightened hair really did wonders.
Gina- one of my favorites since the beginning.She doesn't always hit the notes,but hey man,that's rock-n-roll.She also has the advantage of being the only rocker in the bunch.I hope she stays.:thumbsup:
Chris R- ugggg, I HATE to hear people sing through their nose. I don't know how this guy is still here.Although I thought that was his best to date, it still stank.:sick:
Phil-Super nice guy but I can't bear to look at him.don't know why.He isn't a terrible singer,but for some reason,he irritates me.
Sanjaya- jeez, people!Lock up your 8 year olds until 10 pm every Tuesday night and maybe this guy can go home.He knows he is a joke and he is laughing all the way to the bank.:sick: :mad: :ack:
Going home this week-
Chris R.

PirateLover
04-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Honestly, last night's entire episode was just totally boring. Those songs may be classics, but man they're snoozers. I struggled not to :sleepin: the entire show.

I swear they should all get a pass this week just for having to struggle through those awful, awful songs. I felt the same way about Diana Ross week ... how about picking some songs people actually want to listen to???
I guess its a matter of taste but I happen to think these songs are wonderful, and in Idol history, "Standards" night has produced some of the best performaces. Now if you know me from these boards you'll know that I listen to everything from classical to heavy metal. Guns N Roses is my favorite band but I still find merit in these songs and love hearing them performed by younger generations, and I think most people DO want to hear them. Look how hot Michael Buble is. Now obviously I can't make you like this music but I think there was a huge difference in quality of performance between last night and Diana Ross night. To me, most of her stuff sounds dated, but standards are timeless.

PirateLover
04-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Look how hot Michael Buble is.

I'm laughing right now because I just read that Tony Bennet had to pull out of performing because he has a cold, and they are trying to get Michael Buble to fill in for him! :D

LibertyTreeGal
04-04-2007, 05:25 PM
WDWacky, you definitely are wacky ;) Tony Bennet's songs will still be around when all of today's modern artists are long forgotten. That is proven by the fact that after 60 years people my age still know him by his music.

I am 37 and I adore that type of music, this was -- in many ways -- my absolute favorite show and Diana Ross is AWESOME.

Hate to say it, but Sanjaya wasn't as bad as usual. Does anyone else worry that Sanjaya took Simon seriously???

Ian
04-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Ha ha ha ha! Let me clarify ... I did call his music "awful", but I was really talking about the performances more than the songs. I totally agree ... Tony Bennett is a legend and his music is definitely timeless.

I won't claim to be a big fan because I'm not. I find his music tolerable, at times pleasurable, and I defintely respect him immensely. You certainly have to admire his longevity.

What I was more trying to say was ... this is a pop star show. Let them sing pop tunes. Watching Gina try to wrap her rocker voice around these "old standards" I just felt bad for her. And also, let's face it ... that music is easy listening and it is dull.

At 8PM I'm already struggling to stay awake. How about something a little more uptempo to keep me tuned in?

But yes ... comparing Tony Bennett with Diana Ross was wrong. Mea culpa.

LibertyTreeGal
04-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Okay, I can agree that some of the performances fell way short of lackluster.

I thought about what you said with Gina singing his songs and she did actually look like she was in pain -- what was impressive was how rocker Chris Daughtry pulled off the big band number last year in style.....

Loved Melinda and Jordin for sure. Jordin is just such a pretty girl! I missed Chris because my sons started arguing *sigh*

And Haley... :jaw: her dress was very, er... unforgettable.

Marker
04-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm disappointed. I liked Gina. She wouldn't have gone to the end, probably not more than 2 or 3 more weeks, but I think this was too early.

Sanjaya should be gone. Does anyone actually enjoy his singing?

And for what it's worth, I love Tony Bennett's music, and thought most of the performances were pretty good. Some may call those old "standards" boring, but I enjoy that music, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Louis Armstrong, etc...

magicofdisney
04-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Does anyone else worry that Sanjaya took Simon seriously???
It crossed my mind. His dad is certainly sitting on cloud nine right now.

The break down of the groups was no surprise. I pegged them before Ryan revealed it. Wasn't too much drama in tonight's show other than the meltdown when they announced who was going home. After the send off video, I felt compassion. You can tell music is in the heart of that performer.

Momof2boys
04-04-2007, 11:14 PM
It's not even funny anymore. I really liked Gina . . . and I think that Sanjaya took Simon seriously last night. It's horrible !

Melanie
04-05-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm done.

Grizz16
04-05-2007, 02:16 AM
I hope Sanjaya wins cause it would be hilarious.

pogo
04-05-2007, 07:10 AM
I hope Sanjaya wins cause it would be hilarious. Would you care to explain why you think this way ? I don't understand.:confused:

DizneyRox
04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Would you care to explain why you think this way ? I don't understand.:confused:
Well, in all honesty, it's actually pretty funny how seriously people are taking the "Vote for the Worst" movement. I can't wait to get to work today and hear everyone complaining about this or that. Music has zero importance to my life. I could care less who wins and who loses.

If people want to have a little fun with the show and send people home before their time, more power to them. I think if the people who claimto care about the show actually did care about the show and voted, this wouldn't be a problem.

How many of you voted for your favorite and how many times? I haven't even watched one show and have voted at least 125 times each night for Sanjaya.

tinkerbelle75
04-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm done.

And so is American Idol.
There's no way Gina should have gone home.They just lost a lot of viewers.:mad:

MNNHFLTX
04-05-2007, 08:04 AM
I haven't even watched one show and have voted at least 125 times each night for Sanjaya.Please stop. :giveup:

Melanie
04-05-2007, 08:10 AM
I haven't even watched one show and have voted at least 125 times each night for Sanjaya.

That's really sad and a bit twisted. Seriously. But at the same time, I'm sure you get a kick out of me saying that. :yes:

I can't vote since I am in another country, but I sure would if I could.

Ian
04-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Whatever ... I'm with Mel ...

JanetMegan
04-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Man this whole show is so screwed up now. You know what? I actually cried right along with Gina last night. I felt like an idiot doing it, but cheating someone who wants this sooo badly by making a mockery of it is just crazy. I'm done too.

Carol
04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Unless people write letters and really stop watching - nothing will change.

I stopped watching last year after Chris was eliminated. I still read this thread and follow the news articles - but I refuse to give the show my one little household rating. I wrote a letter too. I never got a reply - but I felt better. :thumbsup:

sgdisney
04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Man this whole show is so screwed up now. You know what? I actually cried right along with Gina last night. I felt like an idiot doing it, but cheating someone who wants this sooo badly by making a mockery of it is just crazy. I'm done too.

I really felt bad for Gina last night too. This is one weird season. Makes me long for the good old days of Season 5!

ChipDale2708
04-05-2007, 09:10 AM

I'm with you too. I was so stunned they sent Gina home. Granted standards aren't her genre, but she did a great job with the song. I knew she wouldn't make it to the end, but to go before Haley and Sanjaya is just plain wrong. I'd love to say I'm done too, but it's like a train wreck - you have to see how it ends. And I'm still cheering for Melinda and Jordin.

mjaclyn
04-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Blake is my favorite - I hope he wins. I do think Melinda has an excellent voice but it doesn't seem like she would be a good pop star.

I'm really surprised that Sanjaya has made it this far. His voice is terrible and WHAT is with the hair??? I'm 100% positive it's because there are a lot of voters who want to discredit American Idol. I think Sanjaya and Hayley (and even Phil) should have gone home before Gina...oh well.

Marker
04-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Music has zero importance to my life. I could care less who wins and who loses.

And therefore no one else should care either?

I haven't even watched one show and have voted at least 125 times each night for Sanjaya.

Why?

Why waste your time if you really don't care?

Seems like a lot of effort for something you don't care about. If you don't care, and if you don't like it, then why bother at all with it.

I totally don't understand that.

DizneyRox
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Why?

Why waste your time if you really don't care?

Seems like a lot of effort for something you don't care about. If you don't care, and if you don't like it, then why bother at all with it.
Why not? My phone line would have been sitting idle had it not been for the couple hours I was using it to vote. And trust me, I didn't waste any time, my computer was doing the voting, I was busy elsewhere.

There's a lot of things I don't understand either.

Why do people drive all over town looking for the cheapest gas, when the savings is less than the cost of the gas they just wasted looking for cheaper gas.

Why does my dog insist on new water in her bowl, but doesn't have a problem drinking out of the tiolet?

I've long since given up trying to understand. You just deal with it...

Regarding AI, you can bet that they aren't in the least upset about what's going on. They couldn't buy the publicity they are getting on this, which boosts their ad revenue and that's really what they are looking for. If it weren't for the Vote for the Worst movement this wouldn't be nearly the event it is.

BrerSchultzy
04-05-2007, 10:44 AM
DISCLAIMER: I have never seen a full episode of American Idol. I have seen bits and pieces of a few episodes. I have heard Sanjaya "sing" on the news.

That said, this Vote for the Worst movement seems silly. Anyone else thinking of the guys in AC/DC shirts and greasy hair at the pep rallies in high school?

Look, if it's not your thing, give it up. Why should you care about AI? And if you don't, then let the people who DO care about have an influence on it. You guys are being selfish and inconsiderate.

Now, imagine if there are only 45,000 tickets available for MK on any given day, and Howard Stern decides that, since he doesn't like Disney World, he's going to guy up all of those tickets, and not let us enjoy the park for a few days...or give those tickets to graffiti artists who trashed the place. To people who don't care about Disney World, they'll say "what's the big deal...who cares."...they may even say it's a good thing that Disney fans are upset.

But to Intercotees, it would be blasphemy and downright disrespectful. See where I'm going with this?

I know you guys think you're just having fun, and I have no idea why an AI fan hasn't started a similar site opposing Sanjaya, but if it's not your toy, and you have real desire to play with it, give it to the people who do. And stop acting like bullies.

mjaclyn
04-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Well said!

A side note - how do you vote from your computer? AI should do something about that because it really is cheating. I'm sure that's the only way Sanjaya is staying out of the bottom right now.

Marker
04-05-2007, 10:56 AM
... selfish and inconsiderate... disrespectful

Yep. All, descriptors defining one's character.

Actually, I think it's kind of sad.

DizneyRox
04-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Well said!

A side note - how do you vote from your computer? AI should do something about that because it really is cheating. I'm sure that's the only way Sanjaya is staying out of the bottom right now.
There are dialer programs that dial a phone number with your modem. It's a phone call as far as AI is concerned and must be counted as a vote. Dials much faster than a person (even redial) and can detect a pickup or a busy signal before you can register it in your brain. The same programs that are used for Sanjaya can also be used for the other contestants.

They have already closed all the holes in the other ways of voting, text messaging, etc.

NotaGeek
04-05-2007, 11:58 AM
MODERATOR ALERT

Ok folks, let's take a breather. This forum is getting too personal and FAR too close to crazy. DizneyRox has the right to his point of view. NO BASHING. If you would like to discuss on a personal level please use PMs and discuss on an individual level.

And to all the haters out there, this forum is for people with an active interest of American Idol. Please if you are NOT a fan or don't provide constructive criticism please be considerate of your fellow INTERCOT Members that DO post here and there are lots of people that actually care about voting, the show, the "stars" etc. Just as we don't have the right to think the worst of you for hating the show or stacking votes, you DO NOT have the right to question why anyone watches a TV Show. That is not the point of this thread!

Now back to the fun. PLAY NICE! :mickey:

Grizz16
04-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Would you care to explain why you think this way ? I don't understand.:confused:

Because American Idol isn't really about finding good singers, it's about ratings. Otherwise they wouldn't put Sanjaya in the top 24. That's why I think it isn't a legitimate talent competition.

NotaGeek
04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Because American Idol isn't really about finding good singers, it's about ratings. Otherwise they wouldn't put Sanjaya in the top 24. That's why I think it isn't a legitimate talent competition.

Unfortunately everything on TV is about ratings. I don't know of any legitimate talent competition on television because it's never JUST talent that makes you a star. I suppose the Met Auditions might be legitimate, but that doesn't make it to prime time on a major station as opera isn't as widely populatr as Top 40 music.

Even more unfortunate would be that anyone can vote as many times as they like and it keeps people like Sanjaya in a winning position, as opposed tot hose with true talent. The fact that the voting can be changed merely because people either hate the show or love to cause controversy make the show NOT a legitimate talent competition.

GO Jordin Sparks! :cheer:

pogo
04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Because American Idol isn't really about finding good singers, it's about ratings. Otherwise they wouldn't put Sanjaya in the top 24. That's why I think it isn't a legitimate talent competition.Thank you for explaining your thought process for me.

I happen to disagree. Kelly Clarkson is a great singer. Carrie Underwood is a great singer. Fantasia is a great singer. Taylor Hicks is a great singer. Rubin Studdard is a great singer.
These are the American Idols. But I do not agree that they all were the best each year because of my personal tastes.

You are right, it is not a legitimate talent competition. It is an entertainment program designed to sell product with advertising by Fox so people will buy Fords, Coke, ATT, etc. under the disguise of finding the American Idol.

The top six or eight will all have recording contracts. Some will be hit makers and other will fade away.

But I think it is wrong to justify anyone voting for Sanjaya because they think it's funny destroying something other people enjoy. And frankly, I'm very surprised and saddened that some of our Intercot Family can get a laugh at someone else's expence.

(edited due to TOS)

Anybody want to try to explain that one to me ?:confused:

Jimenyfan
04-05-2007, 04:25 PM

I stopped watching last year after Chris was eliminated. I still read this thread and follow the news articles - but I refuse to give the show my one little household rating. I wrote a letter too. I never got a reply - but I felt better. :thumbsup:

I stopped watching last year also when Chris was eliminated but now I am glad he didnt win. I think he has done so much more on his own then he could have done with the Idol contract. I have found most of this season disappointing and the whole Sanjaya thing is a very unfunny joke.

Marker
04-05-2007, 04:54 PM

But, regardless of who gets voted off, I enjoy the show. For me it's not about one individual performer, it's the competition, it's the choice of song and the preparation.

And for me, if quit watching because of stuff like this, then they win. Then once again we are all being restricted from things we enjoy because of the people who do this sort of thing.

I mean, I can't buy a set of lawn darts because of the "difficult" people. We all pay the price for the "difficult", this is just one more example.

PirateLover
04-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I would again like to point out that ratings are continuing to go down. How does that boost ad revenue? Yes the story is all over the news but if less people are watching, I wouldn't be more encouraged to purchase air time if I was looking to advertise.

As far as Stern goes, I will come to his slight defense and say that I do find his show to be humorous for the most part. There is far more to his show than the gross-out stuff, but that is what gets him his noteriety. I turn it off when the sexist and gross stuff comes on. And I do think it is kind of ridiculous that many of his minions will do whatever he asks.

But I think this Sanjaya thing is going too far. I went from being really angry about the whole thing, to finding Sanjaya mildly humorous (the hairstyles??? come on), and now I'm just sick of it. It isn't funny at all anymore in my opinion. If you don't watch the show, you shouldn't vote IMHO.

And a big thank you to Michael for coming to the defense of both sides and reminding us what Intercot is all about..

DizneyFreak2002
04-05-2007, 07:15 PM
(edited per TOS)

And by the way, it was not Howard Stern who started this Sanjaya movement.. Want to blame someone? Blame the wonderfully talented Paula Abdul... The musically inclinded Randy Jackson, and Simon for allowing him to get that far in the first place....

I won't bash American Idol and I won't bash the people who, for some reason, actually watch this show... So please refrain from bashing those of us who do like Howard Stern... We can like who and what we want and shouldn't be bashed for it just because someone doesn't like the same thing....

Marker
04-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Ok, I apologize. I edited that last post.

(edited per TOS)

I believe I will cease responding to this thread, or at least on this particular topic within this thread. I've never understood the sort of humor that is intentionally hurtful to someone, and I never will. I guess, if Sanjaya wins, then "America Voted", but perhaps they should change the name of the show from American Idol, to American Laughing Stock.

I will continue to watch, and no doubt continue to be frustrated. Now, on to happier topics.

jedigrrrl
04-05-2007, 10:41 PM
DISCLAIMER: I have never seen a full episode of American Idol. I have seen bits and pieces of a few episodes. I have heard Sanjaya "sing" on the news.

That said, this Vote for the Worst movement seems silly. Anyone else thinking of the guys in AC/DC shirts and greasy hair at the pep rallies in high school?

Look, if it's not your thing, give it up. Why should you care about AI? And if you don't, then let the people who DO care about have an influence on it. You guys are being selfish and inconsiderate.

Now, imagine if there are only 45,000 tickets available for MK on any given day, and Howard Stern decides that, since he doesn't like Disney World, he's going to guy up all of those tickets, and not let us enjoy the park for a few days...or give those tickets to graffiti artists who trashed the place. To people who don't care about Disney World, they'll say "what's the big deal...who cares."...they may even say it's a good thing that Disney fans are upset.

But to Intercotees, it would be blasphemy and downright disrespectful. See where I'm going with this?

I know you guys think you're just having fun, and I have no idea why an AI fan hasn't started a similar site opposing Sanjaya, but if it's not your toy, and you have real desire to play with it, give it to the people who do. And stop acting like bullies.

This is an irrelevant, ridiculous scenario that doesn't even compare, because it's an impossibility. If American Idol wanted it to REALLY stop, they'd change the voting, but that would discredit the show more and they are enjoying the attention.

jedigrrrl
04-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I guess I don't understand how anyone can look up,to a guy like Stern who is vulger, obnxious, rude, a sexist, and a pig and still have "Disney (family)values".

Anybody want to try to explain that one to me ?:confused:

HI THERE!:hi:

I've been listening to Howard for 13 years, I am MAJORLY addicted to WDW, I love American Idol, I vote for Sanjaya, and I teach Pre-K.

Nice to meet you.

To each her own....
(edited per TOS referenced post edited)

P.S. the ratings are going up again and they are still waaaaay in first place with 30 million viewers

PirateLover
04-06-2007, 12:08 AM
P.S. the ratings are going up again and they are still waaaaay in first place with 30 million viewers
If you read the entire thread you would see that I did not dispute the fact that Idol is still THE show to beat and is as it has always been, a ratings juggernaut. But ratings ARE down! I'm not sure what you are referring to when you said they are going back up....
As an example, here are the numbers compared with last year:

Season 6 top 10- 26.8 million viewers and a 10.4 /29 share

Season 5’s Top 10 performance show drew 31.7 million viewers and a 13.0/33 share.

Season 5, 33.3 million viewers tuned in for the Top 11 Performance show, according to Nielsen numbers. That’s versus 29.4 million for this year’s Top 11.

So as you can see, not only are they down from last season, but they also are down slightly more each week. So the arguement that Sanjaya is providing record ratings is just completely false.

NotaGeek
04-06-2007, 02:05 AM
MODERATOR ALERT: OFF TOPIC!

This thread is NOT about Howard Stearn or his listeners. Bashing is bashing and it will NOT be tolerated under ANY circumstances, and it is against the INTERCOT Terms of Service. Final warning folks, please keep this thread discussing American Idol in a respectful manner to everyone's opinions, no name calling.

In lieu of closing this topic I have edited and deleted posts to wash away the bad feelings ... can't you feel it? It's all sunny and nice again in the American Idol thread!

Here's a picture to bring some happiness to this thread: :eek:

Mickey 101
04-06-2007, 03:06 AM
I just think its sad that Sanjaya's ego seems to be growing each week and that he will be compensated well for being included in the Top 10 American Idol tour this summer when someone else that was more deserving (had some talent) was sent home........:(

NotaGeek
04-06-2007, 03:15 AM
There are a million partially talented people making loads of cash due to good publicity. It's called show business. Don't take it so personally ... odds are everyone on the show will have the opportunity to keep making music, or whatever they choose. :thumbsup:

jedigrrrl
04-06-2007, 09:15 AM
MODERATOR ALERT: OFF TOPIC!

This thread is NOT about Howard Stearn or his listeners. Bashing is bashing and it will NOT be tolerated under ANY circumstances.

Here's a picture to bring some happiness to this thread: :eek:

LOL that picture brought a smile to my face. :mickey:

And thanks!

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2007, 09:47 AM
But I have to wonder--are the ratings down related to the controversy on American Idol? Or is it due to a natural waning of interest that takes place with most television shows? I don't have statistics to prove a point one way or the other, but I wonder how other reality shows(especially "contest" shows) fare by the time they get to the 5th or 6th season. It may be that AI's viewer shares would actually be lower if it weren't for the publicity generated by a situation such as Sanjaya still being on the show.

Personally, I hope we can keep this thread on track, at least as long as there are people who still want to watch the show. Our previous AI threads have always been for those who watch and want to comment on the performances and/or voting issues, which is fine. People are entitled to their opinions if they hate the show, but maybe this thread is not the best venue for them to post in.

DizneyRox
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
At least part of me thinks that the Vote for the Worst campaign is actually an ingenious marketing scheme started by FOX to keep AI in the top of the rankings. As far as FOX is concerned, it's really about the ratings, not the talent, etc.

It's not so far fetched... Remember there's no such thing as bad publicity.

PirateLover
04-06-2007, 12:13 PM
After the audition shows ratings have consistantly been down this year. It isn't just because of Sanjaya because it started from the first performance show. I'm just saying that this controversy is giving them more publicity, sure, but not better ratings.

DizneyRox
04-06-2007, 01:43 PM
After the audition shows ratings have consistantly been down this year. It isn't just because of Sanjaya because it started from the first performance show. I'm just saying that this controversy is giving them more publicity, sure, but not better ratings.
The intent of publicity is to drive ratings. So, yes, they are different, but are related in some way.

It MAY be that this publicity is driving away the true fans because it has gotten out of control. And since many of the folks participating in the Vote for the Worst campaign are not watching. So yeah, I can see lower ratings, makes perfect sense. Maybe not what they were expecting, but should have been discussed at some level if this is a marketing ploy.

Ian
04-10-2007, 09:09 PM
My thoughts from tonight:

Melinda - I'm sorry, but no matter how well she sings I'll never be able to get past the fact that she looks like a refugee from a Mom role in a bad 70's sitcom. Thought her performance tonight was dull and I still find her immensely boring.

Lakesha - Eh. You'll see this theme run throughout my reviews from tonight ... I don't get what the judges saw in that. I thought it was the definition of lifeless and flat. She had no real emotion (as usual) and just mailed it in. I was flabbergasted that the judges liked it.

Chris R. - Another one where I was just floored when the judges said it was good. I thought he was just horrendous. He sounds like he's in pain when he sings ... actually he sounds like someone is twisting his ... well ... nevermind. ;)

Haley - As cute as I think she is, I think she's going home this week. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as the judges did, but she's been consistently in the bottom three. I just think this is finally her week to go. Too bad ... she's really the only one in the group that has any true pop star potential.

Phil - Once again ... baffled that the judges didn't like him. I thought he sounded really great. He seemed like he found his niche ... reminded me a lot of Jon Secada. I thought it was one of the better performances of the night.

Jordin - Not her best, but not her worst. Middle of the pack. Good enough for her to stay another week.

Blake - Best of the night, I thought. He's really fun to listen to and watch. He has such a good time with it and he really has got star power and charisma. If it can't be Haley, then it should be Blake because he's the other one with real pop star potential.

Sanjaya - How in the world the judges could say they liked that mess I have no clue. But it's obvious from the fact that they put him on last that DisneyRox is right ... they're loving him. I think the judges gave him props just to help him stick around for another week and help the ratings.

jedigrrrl
04-10-2007, 09:11 PM
LOL!! Sanjaya was #2 tonight to Blake(he's the only contestant I see actually having a career)!! Everyone else was really terrible. Latin Night was a bad idea and I AM LATIN! Time to go Vote . . .

:funny:

LibertyTreeGal
04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Gotta say it, Sanjaya is no idiot and he knows how to make love to the camera -- ick, did I just say that about that child? Ew..........

Actually, he reminds me of Mowgli.

I agree, I was only impressed with Blake and Sanjaya tonight.

PirateLover
04-11-2007, 02:02 AM
LOL!! Sanjaya was #2 tonight to Blake(he's the only contestant I see actually having a career)!! Everyone else was really terrible. Latin Night was a bad idea and I AM LATIN! Time to go Vote . . .

It was a stinky night that's for sure, but no way was Sanjaya the #2 performance tonight. Most surprising maybe, but...no...

Here is how I would list them, best to worst:
Blake-great, but I wasn't a fan of that hat!
Melinda- spot on vocals as usual but performance was lacking and she just looked weird
Jordan- good overall, didn't like her shirt though
Chris- I liked the ending but the beginning was rough
Lakisha- I thought this was just wrong. And why does she keep wearing those dresses? Why does Paula tell her she looks good?
Sanjaya- He must've been taking lessons from Constantine on seducing the camera... surprisingly he stayed kind of in pitch! But still I ask... WHY???? And the facial hair, ICK
Phil- sorry Wacky, I agreed with the judges. He wasn't very good.
Haley- She stinks. No way around it.

I think that gone this week will be Haley or Phil, with Lakisha rounding out the bottom 3 for a bit of a "shocker."

So yes, I will admit that Sanjaya actually was not the worst tonight...but he's still is not good and shouldn't have been there in the first place.

And Jennifer Lopez as a vocal mentor? Umm ok...

NotaGeek
04-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Latin night was a stinker.

See ya later Haley. :ack: I felt like I was watching a performance on a telethon.

DizneyRox
04-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Possible :spoiler:

According to dial idol, it's Chris, Jordin and Lakisha in the bottom three. They admit to the margin for error being too great to pick anyone but Blake being safe.

Haley actually scored higher than Sanjaya according to the predictions.

Overall, sounds similar to what you guys are saying actually went on last night.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't think of this info as a possible spoiler.

sgdisney
04-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Gotta say it, Sanjaya is no idiot and he knows how to make love to the camera -- ick, did I just say that about that child? Ew..........

Actually, he reminds me of Mowgli.

I knew there was someone that he reminded me of, just couldn't quite place it. But you are so right!

As for the performance last night, Blake was way ahead of the others. I think he will end up in the finale, but against who is hard to say at this point.

Ian
04-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Rox, I hope you're right. Dialidol got 2 of the 3 right last week.

Could this possibly be the week America tires of Sanjaya and he gets sent home?

One can only pray .........

tinkerbelle75
04-11-2007, 11:14 AM
As much as I can't stand Sanjaya, I wish Haley would go home tonight.:ack: She's beginning to irritate me more than he does.Chris R. MURDERED one of my favorite songs.It was agony!
Blake and Jordin are the only 2 that will ever do anything worth listening to.
At least I will save the $250 on AI tour tickets this year.Guess we'll be staying an extra day at WDW!!:thumbsup:

tyandskyesmom
04-11-2007, 11:31 AM
I gotta say, I agree with those of you that said Sanjaya was one of the best last night...gosh I hate saying it!

I even hate saying so was Blake...can't stand the guy! And Tyler is picking him to win (my 8 year old)...let me give you a background on Tyler...he loves these types of shows from American Idol to America's Next Top Model to Rock Star, all of them...if he can gamble on a winner, he's there (sad isn't it?!?!?!). So in the past, he has cried when Bucky went home and then Bo. He has never, and I mean never, even with our coaxing toward or away from certain people, picked a winner! So I feel safe in saying Blake won't win, aaahhhh.

And Lou and I like Lekiesha much better than Melinda and we do not see how people keep saying she is boring and lifeless yet don't say it about Melinda...don't like her either. From the begining, before I even know her name I called her "Somebody's Mom" like that was her name...not American Idol material!

We think Phil is too rocky but this was one of his better nights but we cannot get past the fact that he looks like his cone fell off!

Chris is a boy band wanna be (and a bad boy band wanna be at that) and we do not like that...

I think Haley would be good on stage somewhere...meaning in musical theatre and while she has the look of an American Idol and the ability to change up her style much more than the others she is not as strong a singer as the others but we do not see where she is so much worse than many of the others.

And Jordin, what can we say, we think she is our American Idol. She has a great ability to cross styles, she's young, she's cute, she could be made into whatever someone wanted to.

We thing bottom 3 should be Chris, Haley, and Phil this week with probably Haley or Chris leaving. If Lekiesha leaves (which is something I have been hearing a lot this morning) we may have to consider not watching in the future...that would offend me more than Sanjaya staying! Chris, Haley, and Phil are all worse than her.

Just my opinion!

Bethanymouse
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Rox, I hope you're right. Dialidol got 2 of the 3 right last week.

Could this possibly be the week America tires of Sanjaya and he gets sent home?

One can only pray .........

Agreed!:thumbsup: I can't believe this kid is still on here. I just dont see it America. Latin night was a flop. I was a JLO fan in the past, not digging her new music, though I do enjoy Latin music. Next week Martina McBride....does this mean a country night? Would love to see Sanjaya belt that out!

On a positive note, I think these idols are the politest thus far. I mean thanking Simon for critisism? That is fairly new to most! I enjoyed Blake the most with Jordin as a second. Melinda is talented but I worry that she isnt marketable. I say Blake all the way!:marg:

PirateLover
04-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, no surprises tonight.

I can't say I am looking forward to next week. Country night is probably my least favorite night every season. I just find country music to be a snoozer, I don't get it. I realize though that country is becoming huge and many Idols (Carrie Underwood especially) have gone on to be very successful in this genre but man I dunno. I'll be at a baseball game next tuesday night anyway so at least I can fast forward through the boring parts.

Ian
04-12-2007, 07:09 AM
There goes my last reason to watch the show.

JanetMegan
04-12-2007, 07:48 AM
BUH-BYE...no loss there ;) (Sorry Wacky!)

I actually can't wait for next week with Martina McBride being probably my favorite living singer. Although I don't think any of the current contestants could pull off one of her songs...

2Epcot
04-12-2007, 09:46 AM
We watched Idol as our pre-show to our Lost party last night, and I had predicted that Phil and Haley would be the bottom two, though I thought Phil would be the one to go. I knew Sanjaya wouldn't make the bottom three, especially after getting that somewhat backhanded compliment from Simon the night before. Who would have thought Sanjaya would become the star of the show ... Ryan is starting to play around with him as much as he does with Simon now.

LibertyTreeGal
04-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I just don't see how Mowgli (Sanjaya) is going to pull off a country tune.... I mean, he's a cute kid, but not my idea of a country star. I just don't see where he has any kind of a range that would include that.

Maybe he can do a Billy Ray Cyrus version of The Bare Necessities? Just PLEASE don't do "Achy Breaky Heart!"

Should we start betting on which country song Sanjaya would sing? I wonder if he would do a Patsy Cline song... that might be something he would try.

DVC2004
04-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I also thought Phil would go last night. He must be getting used to being up there in the bottom three.

I like Blake alot. I don't think he'll win, but he is my fav.

Ian
04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Should we start betting on which country song Sanjaya would sing? I wonder if he would do a Patsy Cline song... that might be something he would try.I could see him singing Crazy. He might be able to pull that off enough to avoid stinking it up.

Unfortunately.

Mousefever
04-13-2007, 12:07 AM
There goes my last reason to watch the show.

Maybe Haley was a good reason to watch the show, but I didn't think she was an especially good reason to listen to it. Especially after she butchered True Colors. I think the thing that bothered me most about her is that the guest singer/coach would give her great advice and she would totally ignore it. The others seemed to have a little more humility, Sanjaya excepted.

:dory:

Bethanymouse
04-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Maybe he can do a Billy Ray Cyrus version of The Bare Necessities? Just PLEASE don't do "Achy Breaky Heart!"

:funny: :rotfl: :funny: :haha: Now that is funny!

Ian
04-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Maybe Haley was a good reason to watch the show, but I didn't think she was an especially good reason to listen to it.I don't disagree ... she clearly wasn't the best vocally (although I didn't think she was as bad as everyone else did).

But that being said, I firmly believe that to call this a "singing competition" is silly. It's a competition to find a pop star and, fair or not, pop stars need to look like pop stars. Haley was one of the few that fit that bill.

I think Jordin, Chris R., and Blake could pull it off, too.

And anyone, very few of the people this season are interesting to watch or listen to. This is definitely the saddest crop of finalists I've ever seen. The only two left worth watching are Blake and Jordin.

WEDTOPIA
04-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Seriously folks , this season is Bizarro world.

Blake - Truly contemporary and marketable to a degree. But not the greatest range in the world. He makes up for it in his movements , control , and personality .If he wins , it won't be a surprise.

Melinda - Close your eyes and listen to her. She has a voice for the ages. Now open your eyes and watch her perform. She is easily , the best song interpreter in the bunch. But ,is she a pop idol ? No. Her voice is too classic and her look is too ordinary .

Lakeesha - She has a good voice ,but that's it. She has to try so hard to show even an inkling of personality. She's not believable when she sings a song. To me , it's like she's doing it on a bet.

Phil - Extremely likeable ,but I don't know who he could sell his records to. He doesn't have " the look " ( whatever that is these days ). He has a good range , but has trouble controlling it sometimes.

Jordin - She is maturing rapidly. Tremendous vocal range for a 17 year old. She could sell records with her personality alone.

Chris - I honestly don't get it. It has to be his teen idol persona , 'cause it sure a'int the voice.
Ironically , he is most likely to do well for country week . That isn't a knock on country music , I just think his voice will work on a variety of country songs.

Sanjaya - It's funny that some people think he did allright this week. The thing is ,he's been so excruciatingly bad all these weeks , that even a slight improvement makes him look decent.

This guy is Leif Garrett , Andy Gibb , and David Cassidy reborn. No voices among them , but a million mega-watt smile to melt the little girls hearts.

A combination of vote -for -the - worst , and a loyal following of teeny boppers dialing his number a hundred times at a crack , has kept this guy afloat. Really now , if he wins this thing ( and right now , it's not out of the question ) where does that leave the credibility of American Idol ?

Marker
04-14-2007, 05:07 PM
It's a competition to find a pop star

If you look at the previous winners, this competition does not specifically select "pop" stars....

Kelly Clarkson ---- Yes, definitely pop
Ruben Studdard -- Nope, went R&B
Fantasia --- Nope, R&B
Carrie Underwood --- Nope, Country
Taylor Hicks --- Well, maybe. Not really sure where he falls, so we'll say pop.

Just one really "pop" star in the bunch.

DizneyFreak2002
04-14-2007, 07:19 PM
We'll call Taylor Hicks FIZZ since his CD sales, um, fizzed...

Marker
04-14-2007, 07:37 PM
We'll call Taylor Hicks FIZZ since his CD sales, um, fizzed...

I felt that Taylor Hicks was a talented singer. But even during the show last year I really didn't feel he was all that marketable. And I guess it's turned out to be true. I don't really know where to categorize it, but he was VERY GOOD (in my opinion) with a Joe Cocker kind of sound. But in today's market, I just didn't see that selling well.

I don't think anyone would (ok, I'm some people would) deny Joe Cocker's talent, but in today's market, would he be marketable? Or Janis Joplin? In my mind, that's the sort of hole Taylor Hicks is in, he's talented, just not with a sound that's currently selling. I'll bet he could do an awesome live show.

So in my mind, I sure wouldn't call him a flop, or a FIZZ. Music should is about more than just selling records, or at least to me it should be.

Now, this year, if someone like Melinda manages to win I think she'll fall into that same trap. An awesome singer and performer, but so much a sellable commodity.

PirateLover
04-14-2007, 07:50 PM
While we are on the subject of Idol records, quite a few former Idols have albums out that have met with some success.

Katherine McPhee tried to go pop/R&B on her album but kinda fell flat on her face if you ask me

Daughtry as everyone who is a fan of AI probably knows is a great success story. That is some good pop rock right there, and much better than Nickelback, whom he is often compared to.

Elliot Yamin, the underdog from last season has released an album as well. It is mostly R&B/Soul like what he tried to sing on the show and it is pretty good. His voice really shines. You can get it on iTunes. If you don't want the whole album I would recommend downloading Song For You, which he performed on the show last season. It's awesome!

Kelli Pickler also released a country cd but I can't say much about that because I haven't listened to it. I didn't much care for the song she did earlier this season on her guest appearance, but her effort met with decent sales.

Bucky Covington actually just released an album as well and it's not my cup of coffee but it has been met with decent reviews.

I think many of the Idols this season have seen this trend and are well aware of the fact that they may be very well offered some sort of contract even if they don't win, and are proceeding with a sense of false security...

pogo
04-14-2007, 11:49 PM
With all my experience, I can't figure out why some people made it to Hollywood this year.

There were three people that have a huge chance to be stars in the music industry out of all the Hollywood group.

#3......You'll hate me for this one....... Haley will or already has a recording contract. She would be the first one I'd sign to a long term contract.

#2..... Blake. He's going places fast. He has a recording voice for sure as well as looks and personality.

#1..... Jordin...... great voice, great stage presence, and whn she looses her baby fat, she will turn some heads.

These are the only ones I'd sign out of the whole bunch. :D

Ian
04-16-2007, 09:06 AM
If you look at the previous winners, this competition does not specifically select "pop" stars....

Kelly Clarkson ---- Yes, definitely pop
Ruben Studdard -- Nope, went R&B
Fantasia --- Nope, R&B
Carrie Underwood --- Nope, Country
Taylor Hicks --- Well, maybe. Not really sure where he falls, so we'll say pop.

Just one really "pop" star in the bunch.That's sort of my point. Of the ones you list there, really only Kelly and Carrie have had any success. The rest are duds.

And the reason for that is they shouldn't have won the competition. They weren't the best all around choice. They didn't have mass appeal.

PirateLover
04-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh lord... you all have to check out this pic of Sanjaya as a kid... look what he has....mods, maybe someone can just attach the photo in a post..
http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20007868_20015945_4,00.html

sgdisney
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
I felt that Taylor Hicks was a talented singer. But even during the show last year I really didn't feel he was all that marketable. And I guess it's turned out to be true. I don't really know where to categorize it, but he was VERY GOOD (in my opinion) with a Joe Cocker kind of sound. But in today's market, I just didn't see that selling well.

I don't think anyone would (ok, I'm some people would) deny Joe Cocker's talent, but in today's market, would he be marketable? Or Janis Joplin? In my mind, that's the sort of hole Taylor Hicks is in, he's talented, just not with a sound that's currently selling. I'll bet he could do an awesome live show.

So in my mind, I sure wouldn't call him a flop, or a FIZZ. Music should is about more than just selling records, or at least to me it should be.

Okay, I have to jump in here because Taylor was my favorite last season and I have closely followed his career since he won. No, his record sales are not what Daughtery's are, but his self titled album is very good and he is currently in the middle of a mostly sold out cross country tour. His take on all this is just as you said, music IS about more than just selling records. He loves the live performance and this is where he shines. And next Tuesday instead of watching AI, I will be sitting on the front row watching him do what he does best.

Sorcerer M
04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
i just thought i would put my 2 cents in. my favorites are jordin and blake, and i don't know who to vote for between the two of them if they get in the top two. i predict that phil will be off next, and i was kind of happy when haley got voted off last week. i am not a big sanjaya fan, but i think it is really interesting to see what he comes up with every week. (i actually thought he was pretty good last week!) anyway, GO BLAKE AND JORDIN!

Marker
04-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Of the ones you list there, really only Kelly and Carrie have had any success. The rest are duds.

Someone else spoke about Taylor, I did a quick look up on Fantasia and Rubin. I don't know what criteria you are using to judge a "dud", but based on just a portion of what I found in Wikipedia(see below), I'd hardly call these performers "dud"s.

Now, I am not particularly fans of either Fantasia or Rubin. Primarily because they perform in a space that I don't normally listen. But that certainly doesn't make them duds. They're not particularly "pop" artists, but still successful nonetheless.

AND, if the wrong person wins in any particular season, it's not the judges fault, it's not America Idol's fault... as Ryan says every week, "America Voted". Regardless of who wins, they are given an opportunity.

According to Wikipedia ----

Fantasia -
- will also be starring as Celie in the Broadway musical, The Color Purple.
- first album, Free Yourself, was a commercial success, garnering four Grammy nominations
- named the number-one artist of the Adult Urban Contemporary format for 2005 according to the December 13, 2005 Billboard Magazine
- 2004 Billboard single of the year - "I Believe"
- 2004 Billboard Top selling R&B/Hip-Hop single of the year - "I Believe"
- 2005 Billboard-American Urban Radio Networks Top R&B/hip-hop single (sales) - "I Believe"
- 2005 NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Female Artist
- 2006 Groovevolt Music Awards - Best New Artist
- 2006 ASCAP R&B/Hip-Hop Awards - "Free Yourself"
- 2006 ASCAP R&B/Hip-Hop Awards - "Truth Is"

Ruben -

- released first single, "Flying Without Wings" fueled largely by sales, it debuted at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100
- album Soulful topped the 1 million mark before it was released into stores...debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 album chart that month, selling over 400,000 copies in its first week
- single "Sorry 2004" from this album found substantial airplay, reaching #9 in the Billboard Hot 100 and #2 on the Billboard R&B singles chart
- received a Grammy Award nomination in December 2003 for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance
- March 2004 won the NAACP Outstanding New Artist award.
- gospel album I Need an Angel...sold over 96,000 copies in its first week, it also entered the Gospel charts at #1, opened at #20 on the Billboard 200 chart, it since has sold over 500,000 copies. It was also #1 on the 2005 Billboard Year-End Gospel Albums Chart.

MNNHFLTX
04-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I think it would be short-sighted for anyone to say that past American Idol winners (or even runner-up contestants) flopped after the competitions were over. If you're talking about "superstar" status (if there is such a thing these days), that Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are probably the only two that come to mind. But the other winners have all had modest and/or critical success in their genre. As for Taylor Hicks, his first album might not have been very successful so far, but as the most recent winner he has time to make up ground.

I never expected any of the Idol winners to be overnight successes; I think they need time to find their niche and build on their material (and in some cases, the AI production teams might not have allowed them a great deal of freedom in that).

WEDTOPIA
04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
They all did well tonight , except for you know who.

I thought the judges criticism of Lakisha and Chris were off base , and I'm not a fan of either of them. Phil , Jordin , and Melinda were all on their A-game. Blake ,as usual ,made the song his own.

I think this is the week that will really put the serious focus on the Malakar kid. If he makes it through again , no matter who goes ahead of him ,that person will have been horribly wronged. Anyone listening to the other 6 tonight ,then comparing it to Sanjaya's performance , would have to have 2 tin ears not to notice the disparity in talent. I mean , it's absolutely crystal clear ,at this point in the competition , that anyone voting for " The Hair " is doing it out of spite . And it's long past the funny stage. :ack:

PirateLover
04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Time for recaps!!

Phil- Wow, Nosferatu had a sort of comeback this week! His vocals were really spot on I thought. I liked that he moved around but something still seemed a little lifeless about it. Like he was having fun but just going through the motions at the same time... I think I'll attribute it to nerves. I think Phil has stagefright. Week after week we hear the guests praise him and then he comes out flat. There is definitely a voice in there, but Simon is right, it might be too late.

Jordin-I LOVE this girl now. I can really tell that she feels the music and that this means so much to her. And she has an amazing voice to boot. Anyone remember Christina Aguilera at that age? She was great too and now she is amazing. This is what I see for Jordin. She will continue to grow and can really be a star.

Sanjaya- I agree with Simon. Sunny just isn't funny anymore. Time to go. I applaud the judges for finally being honest, and really acknowledging the "joke" that has been going down, Simon especially. The guy from Vote for the Worst is actually gonna be on Letterman tonight. :ack:

Lakisha- Her dress was much better this week but what was up with those BOOTS?????? And UGH the lyrics may have meant something to her but the song didn't fit her at all. I think the band also had something to do with it. They sounded really loud, and even with her screaming you could barely hear her. I think someone was asleep at the mixing board.

Chris- Have my ears stopped bleeding? This was terrrible. I have found him tolerable for the most part and occassionally endearing but YICK! And telling Simon that "Nasally is a singing style"??? Was he serious??
And maybe I heard this wrong but was his reasoning for giving a shout out to VATech that he had "a lot of friends in Virginia"? I mean we are all reeling from this tragedy but it seemed to me like this was a cheap attempt at a sympathy play. Maybe that is just the cynic in me.

Melinda- Actually looked REALLY nice tonight. That is a good hairstyle for her. And she knocked it out of the park. I was totally thinking Tina as well.

Blake- He was good but it wasn't his best. He needs to work a little more on his transitions... he definitely has the talent to perfect that song. I do think it was a good choice for him though given the genre.

OK so my bottom 3 are:
Sanjaya, Chris, Lakisha

with...dare I say it... Sanjaya finally saying bye-bye-a

Oh and shout outs to Martina... This was one of the least boring Country nights I can remember and I actually recognized some of her songs! I just never knew who she was.

WEDTOPIA
04-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Chris-[/ And telling Simon that "Nasally is a singing style"??? Was he serious??
And maybe I heard this wrong but was his reasoning for giving a shout out to VATech that he had "a lot of friends in Virginia"? I mean we are all reeling from this tragedy but it seemed to me like this was a cheap attempt at a sympathy play. Maybe that is just the cynic in me.

Actually ,certain country songs are meant to be sung that way. I've always thought that Chris was always on the verge of a country song , every time he sings.

As far as a sympathy play ? C'mon , give the guy a break. It happened in his home state , and if you noticed , he had tears welling up in his eyes. How do you know he doesn't have friends at Virginia Tech ?

PirateLover
04-17-2007, 11:05 PM
As far as a sympathy play ? C'mon , give the guy a break. It happened in his home state , and if you noticed , he had tears welling up in his eyes. How do you know he doesn't have friends at Virginia Tech ?

I did say maybe it is the cynic in me... I did not hear him say he had friends at VATech just friends in Virginia which is a decent size state. His home town is 5 hours away from the college. If I heard wrong I apologize. I did not notice the tears, only the evasion of Simon's question. I will point out that he has been on the verge of tears every time he has reached elimination, so he may have been upset by the comments.
Again, he may have been genuine but I am a little skeptical. At this point in the game, in the 6th season, people know how to play on emotions.

And back to the singing...I think there is a major difference between having a country twang and singing through your nose. Go to one vocal practice and the first thing they will try teach you is to sing from your chest. It just isn't a pleasant sound, and it is also detrimental to your vocal cords to sing through your nose.

WEDTOPIA
04-18-2007, 12:24 AM
I did say maybe it is the cynic in me... I did not hear him say he had friends at VATech just friends in Virginia which is a decent size state. His home town is 5 hours away from the college. If I heard wrong I apologize. I did not notice the tears, only the evasion of Simon's question. I will point out that he has been on the verge of tears every time he has reached elimination, so he may have been upset by the comments.
Again, he may have been genuine but I am a little skeptical. At this point in the game, in the 6th season, people know how to play on emotions.

And back to the singing...I think there is a major difference between having a country twang and singing through your nose. Go to one vocal practice and the first thing they will try teach you is to sing from your chest. It just isn't a pleasant sound, and it is also detrimental to your vocal cords to sing through your nose.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. My point is simple. The day after the worst mass shooting in U.S. history is un-nerving for everyone. He just happens to be from Virginia. Whether or not he's 5 hours away from Blacksburg or 5 minutes away is irrelevant. I'm sure there are those that would criticize him if he didn't say anything. Some things are bigger than a singing competition. I wouldn't second guess anyone's emotional response to yesterday's events.

Marker
04-18-2007, 01:06 AM
it seemed to me like this was a cheap attempt at a sympathy play. Maybe that is just the cynic in me.

Wow. Such harsh judgement of what was in this young man's heart. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but cynic or not, that's a harsh assumption to make about someone's character.

NotaGeek
04-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Chris is cute, so he won't have any problem staying around. "Nasally" however is not a style of singing that anyone would work towards. I don't believe he was the worst of the night, of course this week HANDS down Sanjaya was horrible. But, Lakisha and Chris will definitely be with him in the bottom 3. Let's hope people have finally gotten sick of voting for the worst.

I refuse to get into whether or not Chris mad his comments about Virginia Tech with good or bad intentions. No one here is psychic, he was obviously upset about something. Give him a break! he just got raked over the coals by the judges!

I couldn't believe how good bald Chris sounded this week ... he is definitely on the way to a strong career in the country world.

JORDIN!! :cheer:

PirateLover
04-18-2007, 06:16 AM
I'm sorry I offended anyone but honestly that is how I felt and I am not the only one. It has nothing to do with me not liking him, in fact if you read through the thread I have been more fair to him than most people. Sometimes you get a gut feeling about things. It just struck me as odd when he said it ... even Simon rolled his eyes. It was just a thought that I had and I do not regret expressing it. I won't comment anymore on that particular matter except to say that I want to express that I am not trying to mean for mean's sake and that I am not a Chris hater and it also does not make me a bad person to have thought that way.

*I also wanted to add that having grown up in the Columbine era this story affects me more than you will ever know and my observation is not a result of me being callous towards the situation, in fact I think the reaction stems from the opposite feelings. It mad me angry to think that he might've been trying to get more votes by throwing that out there. Everyone else may disagree and that's fine but don't judge me. You want me to give him a break for his emotions, maybe you can give me a break for mine.

tinkerbelle75
04-18-2007, 07:20 AM
You want me to give him a break for his emotions, maybe you can give me a break for mine.

I agree with Piratelover about Chris' comment.It wasn't necessarily the way he said it, or what he said,it was the timing. He did seem to be side-stepping the comments and trying to stop the questions by making the remark.My husband thought the same thing too.I think everybody has been upset about the events of the past couple of days,and I am sure Chris was too,but I think Piratelover is right on this....something about it just wasn't right.

JanetMegan
04-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Yup I'm still watching, against my better judgement so here are my thoughts...some of which surprise even me ;)

Phil-Pretty good, good choice of song, I think the guy can really sing but agree with the judges that he just hasn't found his niche or something. I hope he's ok tonight.

Jordin-Very well done, BUT, even though I am a huge Jordin fan, I'm also a HUGE Martina McBride fan and I just didn't think it was a good as the original. I also just don't think you should sing a mentor's song on the week they are there. It just didn't do it for me b/c I am such a huge fan of the song and Martina's version.

Sanjaya-Ok here goes, I prepare to be raked over the coals on this one...I thought it was funny and entertaining. Not good singing of course, but, you have soneone here who is really learning some life lessons. He's rolling with the punches, his song choice was hilarious and oddly appropriate. He stands there and smiles while the judges tell him he's horrible. Honestly I'm starting to take his side. Just because he's bucking up and showing up with a smile every week...

LaKisha-Ugh. Bad. Song. Choice. Agree with above posters that she shouted it. Note to future contestants, don't sing previous Idol's songs.

Chris R.-Hmm. Now I have been a NON-Chris fan since the first show but I have to say this is his first performance I actually liked. If you know the song (which few people do) it does sound a good bit like that. It wasn't as good as the Rascall Flatts version, but it wasn't too bad.

Melinda-Wow finally some spark and personality. She looked way better, sounded good. I might be back on her side...

Blake-Wow, where do I start here. I like Blake, he has been in my top two pretty much the whole time. But while he made a great song choice, he just didn't pull it off. His break in his voice between his chest voice and his falsetto was very noticable and distracting. I didn't like it.

-------------------------------------------------------

I think I may have been harsher this week on some of my faves since I am such a huge fan of the genre. Also to the whole Chris/VA thing: I was way less annoyed about him saying something than I was at Simon's eye rolling which was TOTALLY innappropriate. Even when Simon tried to recover at the end of the show he mentioned the horrific events but didn't actually mention the school, the state or what happened. It was like he didn't even know and the producers made him say that.

Marker
04-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Everyone else may disagree and that's fine but don't judge me. You want me to give him a break for his emotions, maybe you can give me a break for mine.

You are absolutely correct. We absolutely should not judge someome. Especially when we don't know them well enough, and we don't know what's truly in their heart. Casting judgements on someone without any basis in fact would certainly be extremely disrespectful, and dare I say reckless.

Karma.

And besides this thread is meant to be about American Idol,

My opinion for this week, Chris, Lakisha, Phil for the final 3 - Chris voted out.

(I don't even consider Sanjaya anymore, naturally he should be the one going, he should have already been gone weeks ago.... but we have the unfortunate behavior of others to contend with, so may as well just ignore him as far as the competition. Maybe they should take a week and appoint him the "winner", then continue on looking for 2nd place)

allie_to_you
04-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Sanjaya-Ok here goes, I prepare to be raked over the coals on this one...I thought it was funny and entertaining. Not good singing of course, but, you have soneone here who is really learning some life lessons. He's rolling with the punches, his song choice was hilarious and oddly appropriate. He stands there and smiles while the judges tell him he's horrible. Honestly I'm starting to take his side. Just because he's bucking up and showing up with a smile every week...

Who cares if he can smile if he gets lousy review from his singing. His singing is completely horrible, he's not at all cute or good looking, has ridiculous looking hair and I think that instead of entertaining, he's just gone to being ridiculous. How he ever made it this far is beyond me and I just cringe every time I have to hear him or anything about him. I loooove this show but it has gotten to the point that I don't look forward to it as much because it's become a joke. To have people who are so much better than Sanjaya voted out each week because people are stupid enough to keep him in as a joke is making this show and the whole competition a farce.

Flame me if you want to, but it's my opinion & i'm sticking with it.

I'm sorry I offended anyone but honestly that is how I felt and I am not the only one.

You have as much right as anyone on these boards to have any opinion you want to. No one has the right to put you down or call you crazy because you expressed a certain view and anyone who does is very close-minded.

Carol
04-18-2007, 08:52 AM
MODERATOR ALERT!

Let's stay on topic, Folks.

JanetMegan
04-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Who cares if he can smile if he gets lousy review from his singing. His singing is completely horrible, he's not at all cute or good looking, has ridiculous looking hair and I think that instead of entertaining, he's just gone to being ridiculous. How he ever made it this far is beyond me and I just cringe every time I have to hear him or anything about him. I loooove this show but it has gotten to the point that I don't look forward to it as much because it's become a joke. To have people who are so much better than Sanjaya voted out each week because people are stupid enough to keep him in as a joke is making this show and the whole competition a farce.

Flame me if you want to, but it's my opinion & i'm sticking with it.

I'm not into flaming either ;) Trust me, I had the EXACT same things as you to say a couple weeks ago, but I decided being mad and bitter about the joke one of my fave shows had become wasn't helping things. As much as we don't like Sanjaya, it's pretty obvious he isn't going away, so I guess I just decided changing my attitude might help me enjoy the show more again. I'm trying to laugh at the whole situation instead of be mad...

Ian
04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
My thoughts, in order ...

#1 Phil - WOW!! Okay, I will admit I loved the song he did which definitely influenced my enjoyment of his performance, but I thought he was AWESOME last night. If, after that, he doesn't get a country music contract I'll be very surprised.

#1.1 Jordin - WOW!!! To me that performance was one of those special Idol moments where you just see a contestant break out and steal the show. I ranked her 1.1 because she and Phil were both great, but I just liked Phil's song choice a lot more.

#1.2 Melinda - WOW!!! Melinda was also right up there ... This is the first week when no-neck really impressed me. She looked a lot younger and fresher than she has in the past ... her hair was styled nicely and her outfit looked great. This was the first time when I really saw her as Idol material. I mean yeah she can belt it out, but she never looked like she had "it" before. Last night she had "it."

#4. Blake - To quote Randy (again), "It was just okay for me, dawg." He was certainly good enough to avoid the bottom three, but it wasn't his best performance. The vocals were a little off in places, but he did put his own spin on the song and I liked the arrangement a lot.

#5. Lakesha - Blech. I thought she was downright terrible. Honestly, she just isn't a good performer. She has no stage presence at all, no personality, and no energy or emotion in her songs. Prior to last night her vocals saved her, but I thought even that was average at best last night. Personally I feel like she got a big head and has been mailing it in ever since. Like Simon said, she was labeled the front runner early on and ever since she's just been dying on the vine.

#6 Chris - Holy cow was that just terrible. Nasally a singing style?? No, Chris, twang is a singing style. Nasally is just annoying. And Simon used the word "tinny" to describe his voice last night. I've been saying "thin", but it amounts to the same thing. He has no power behind his vocals. He butchered that song last night ... it was worse than bad karoke.

#5,999,999,999 Sanjaya - I ranked him as number 5 billion, nine hundred ninety-nine million, nine hundred ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred ninety-nine because every single other person on the planet could have done a better job on that song than he did. He's been bad all along, but last night he sounded like he didn't even deserve to have made it through to Hollywood. That was just sickening.

So my bottom three would be Sanjaya, Chris, and Lakesha. Sadly, I doubt Sanjaya will even be in the bottom three, let alone be sent home.

Unfortunately, I think the real bottom three is going to be Chris, Lakesha, and Phil with Phil going home. And that's going to be a real shame, because he was hands down the best last night.

Marker
04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
From the Times of India:
"He was just sitting there having a good time with his friends, just like a regular person. And when the Dodger camera noticed him, the cameraperson ran over and taped him."

"Sanjaya's face pops up on the big screen right away. At first he smiled, he seemed to like the attention. But then the entire crowd at the stadium started to boo and it was loud! His smile faded a bit and his eyes looked sad," said an eyewitness who was at the Dodger stadium to watch the game.

"It's like he was trying to keep a fake smile on, but you could tell he was crestfallen. He just kept waving and smiling for a few seconds more then his image went off the screen," added the eyewitness.

Yeah, fun. What's more fun than being scorned by an entire nation. Everyone likes to be ridiculed, embarrassed and made a laughing stock. Imagine, bullied by an entire country, for simply trying to sing.

Ian
04-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Yeah, fun. What's more fun than being scorned by an entire nation. Everyone likes to be ridiculed, embarrassed and made a laughing stock. Imagine, bullied by an entire country, for simply trying to sing.You know what? I tried to feel bad for him, but the truth is he knows he doesn't belong on that stage. If he wants to avoid being ridiculed and booed then he should do the honorable thing and quit.

He knows he's only there because of Vote the Worst. If he chooses to stick around because of the good stuff (publicity, money, fame) then he has to take the bad with it and not expect sympathy.

PirateLover
04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Dial Idol Predictions:

:spoiler: Only Phil is considered "safe." Here are their rankings:
1-3 Phil Stacey
-
1-7 (B3) Jordin Sparks
-
1-7 (B3) Chris Richardson
-
2-7 (B3) Melinda Doolittle
-
2-7 (B3) Lakisha Jones
-
2-7 (B3) Blake Lewis
-
2-7 (B3) Sanjaya Malakar
....One can only hope

Ian
04-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, but Dialidol has been wrong for like the last four weeks in a row.

Sadly, I suspect they're wrong again.

Marker
04-18-2007, 10:13 AM
You know what? I tried to feel bad for him, but the truth is he knows he doesn't belong on that stage. If he wants to avoid being ridiculed and booed then he should do the honorable thing and quit.

Yeah, that wouldn't be humiliating at all. But I guess that's typically the goal of bullies anyway, to make their target's quit and run away.

IN MY OPINION, no matter how you spin this, this is not his fault, and he doesn't deserve to be treated like this. No matter what the eventual outcome is, not matter how much fame or money he is able to translate this into, he has done nothing to deserve this. Attempting to sing does not deserve such a lack of respect. I am not a fan of his singing, but I am a fan of treating people with human decency and respect. Bullying is an ugly thing. How would you feel if it was you, or your son... would it still be fun?

Now can we get back the topic of American Idol, and let the fans discuss the show.

allie_to_you
04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Attempting to sing does not deserve such a lack of respect. I am not a fan of his singing, but I am a fan of treating people with human decency and respect. Bullying is an ugly thing. How would you feel if it was you, or your son... would it still be fun?

Now can we get back the topic of American Idol, and let the fans discuss the show.

I believer we are on the subject of American Idol. Sanjaya is on the show and people are discussing him so we are discussing the show. I don't think people are bullying him just because he is getting bad reviews. Your right, attempting to sing shouldn't get you bullied, but if you attempt to sing in front of millions of people and can't do it, then you are subjecting yourself to a wide spectrum of comments, both good and bad.

If I were his parents, I'd feel bad that he's getting such negative reactions from people but I'd also figure that if he wants to be an adult and do this, then he has to either accept the criticism or quit.

Ian
04-18-2007, 10:58 AM
If I were his Father I would tell him to do the honorable thing, be a man, and step down.

It's not "quitting" nor would it expose him to ridicule. HE DOESN'T BELONG THERE! Whether or not it's his fault or not is totally irrelevant. He is aware that he's only there because of Vote the Worst. The judges can't have been any more pointed in their feedback last night. He knows he's sent home performers that were better than he is by refusing to resign from the competition.

If I were his Father I'd be booing right along with everyone else for the complete lack of respect he's had for the other competitors on the show and for the lack of honor he's displayed.

And how anyone could possibly imply he's being "bullied" I have NO clue. Booing someone for performing poorly is NOT bullying someone.

I'm curious if the same people would stand up for a professional athlete who was booed for underperforming the same way they're standing up for Sanjaya???

Marker
04-18-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't think people are bullying him just because he is getting bad reviews.

I agree. Bad reviews are part of the show. Dealing with bad reviews is part of attempting the entertainment business.

What I consider bullying, is intentionally keeping him around just so we can laugh at him. Getting our jollies at his expense. To me, this is no different than a "bring a nerd" or "bring an ugly girl" party. To me, this is just as disrespectul, and just as offensive. To me no matter how much benefit Sanjaya may or may not receive in the long run, the behavior is wrong. Money/fame does not make it ok, wrong is still wrong.

LibertyTreeGal
04-18-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree with Marker, I didn't watch last week or this week and I am not going to watch it anymore. I don't want to watch a show that is being manipulated by people who are simply enjoying being cruel. It's why I hate the audition shows, and it is why I really hate this season. I never watched AI before the final 6 last year so maybe things aren't different, but this is new to me.

It's a hard thing, it isn't Sanjaya's fault that Vote for the Worst and Howard Stern and his listeners are reducing him to a mockery just because they think it is cute and/or fun. I can't help but remember that he is 17 years old, and 17 year olds are not considered adults for darned good reasons. We do not know what is going on in his head, we just don't.

I just can't stand it anymore. I feel like I have been watching a child slapped around for the amusement of others.

Marker
04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
And how anyone could possibly imply he's being "bullied" I have NO clue. Booing someone for performing poorly is NOT bullying someone.

I'm curious if the same people would stand up for a professional athlete who was booed for underperforming the same way they're standing up for Sanjaya???

Actually, I think booing is kinda rude, but also it's part of the deal. I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I don't see the resolution to this being the responsibility of the target. I think he's doing an amazing job of "grin and bear it". Would it be easier if he would just step down, yes. But is it his responsibility to do so, to me, NO!. IF he was to step down, at this point, I would most like to see it done in the finale, if he were actually to make it that far.

Hey, remember, I live in the home of the KC Royals - who make underperforming an art. If we booed for all of their underperforming, we'd never see any of the game.

Jenemmy
04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
You know what? I tried to feel bad for him, but the truth is he knows he doesn't belong on that stage. If he wants to avoid being ridiculed and booed then he should do the honorable thing and quit.

He knows he's only there because of Vote the Worst. If he chooses to stick around because of the good stuff (publicity, money, fame) then he has to take the bad with it and not expect sympathy.

Ya know, I just keep thinking about how he is only 17. man, I remember 17 --everything was drama and insecurity for me -- and I wasn't on TV trying to keep from becoming a national joke! My heart just breaks for this kiddo, it really does. He is probably at a point where he doesn't even know what to do. I can't imagine what it must feel like to walk out on that stage week after week knowing all that is being said about him.

I know, he walked through that door and all, but the mama in me just feels heartbroken for him.

Ian
04-18-2007, 01:09 PM
What I consider bullying, is intentionally keeping him around just so we can laugh at him. Getting our jollies at his expense. To me, this is no different than a "bring a nerd" or "bring an ugly girl" party. To me, this is just as disrespectul, and just as offensive. To me no matter how much benefit Sanjaya may or may not receive in the long run, the behavior is wrong. Money/fame does not make it ok, wrong is still wrong.Sorry ... I totally misunderstood what you were saying when you said he was being bullied (perils of reading what people say with no visual or audio context associated) ...

Yes, I agree with you that that is a form of bullying. But hey ... that's what Stern is all about. The lowest common denominator. The man is 50 and still thinks potty humor is the height of hysteria. He invites mentally challenged people on his show so he can make fun of them. He lives off making fun of others, so this should be no surprise to anyone.

And yeah ... he may be 17 ... but so is Jordin and to me they look WORLD'S apart in terms of their maturity.

Marker
04-18-2007, 01:41 PM
that's what Stern is all about. The lowest common denominator. The man is 50 and still thinks potty humor is the height of hysteria. He invites mentally challenged people on his show so he can make fun of them. He lives off making fun of others, so this should be no surprise to anyone.

Because "we", the american public, allow it. Heck, we do more than allow it, we encourage it. In fact, look how many follow along and emulate it.

Doesn't make it right. You know, sometimes wrong is more "fun", and much easier..... but it's still wrong. And for me, that sort of disrespectful behavior towards anyone is wrong.

allie_to_you
04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
It's why I hate the audition shows, and it is why I really hate this season.
I can't help but remember that he is 17 years old, and 17 year olds are not considered adults for darned good reasons.

Well, as for the audition shows, there may be some who truly think they can sing and then get kicked in the teeth cause they can't, but there are some idiots who know they can't sing and just want their 15 seconds of fame so they deserve all they get when they make a mockery of themselves by auditioning in the first place.

And yeah ... he may be 17 ... but so is Jordin and to me they look WORLD'S apart in terms of their maturity.

Amen! Just cause your 17 doesn't mean you can't make mature decisions. A lot of times it just means you have a built in excuse. Sure, kids make stupid decisions at 17, but so do people at 40. You can still be mature even at 17.

PirateLover
04-18-2007, 01:49 PM
I just really want to know why he was put through to be judged by America in the first place. From the first moment he sang in the top 24 they did not give him a good comment. I wish they would come out and say what they saw in him- why did he get put all the way through?. His audition wasn't even that good. I remember liking his sister much more. Blah.

*Also wanted to add that I know dial idol has been off for the most part, just thought I'd post it any way. Last year they were much more accurate. Oh well. The only silver lining is that many of the stern/vote for the worst camp use their dialer so if he was last on their thing it may be a good sign.

SBETigg
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I really loved Phil this week. I also enjoyed Blake, Melinda, and Jordin. I did not think LaKisha was at her best, and Chris and Sanjaya seemed to struggle with their songs. I think Sanjaya did the worst with what he had, but Chris wasn't in top form either. So, LaKisha, Chris, and Sanjaya in bottom three, probably Chris going home.

2Epcot
04-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I just really want to know why he was put through to be judged by America in the first place. From the first moment he sang in the top 24 they did not give him a good comment. I wish they would come out and say what they saw in him- why did he get put all the way through?. His audition wasn't even that good. I remember liking his sister much more. Blah.

I had the same feelings. I thought between him and his sister, the sister was a better singer. I was surprised when he made it over her.

I missed last night's Idol, because I've been moving the last few days. I did spend last night hooking up the DVRs ... The cable guy came today, so I'll be watching and recording tonight.

PirateLover
04-18-2007, 10:03 PM
WOWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warning West Coasters, spoiler coming up....

HE'S GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Dial Idol actually got the rankings EXACTLY right. What a crazy night. I was sooo nervous for Blake. Can't believe he was in the bottom....

Mickey 101
04-18-2007, 10:06 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tinkerbelle75
04-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Not only is Melinda talented, she's smart too!:

As for the results:
:joy: :woohoo: :muscles: :clappy: :dance: :thanks:

sgdisney
04-18-2007, 11:06 PM
I'd like to fast forward through the next couple of weeks because I'm afraid Antonella will stay and she needs to pack it up and go home. My pick for the top 6 are Melinda, Lakisha, Gina, Jordan, Blake and Chris Sligh.

Back on March 8th I posted my prediction for the top 6. I got 4 of the 6. THANK GOODNESS one of the ones I got wrong was not Sanjaya. I am relieved that he is gone.

Now the good part can begin!

Here we go again...
04-18-2007, 11:26 PM
I was biting my nails when it got down to the last 2....
All I can add to what every one else has already said is, It is about time!

Now maybe we will be able to enjoy the show.
I do feel a little sorry for Sanjaya. He did not ask for all the turmoil around him. I think that he would have been under a lot of pressure on a daily basis. And when it was time for him to go, he broke down. I wish him luck...

jedigrrrl
04-18-2007, 11:47 PM
It was fun while it lasted!:thedolls:

Now back to our regularly scheduled program....

Go Blake and Jordin! Jordin blew everyone away last night.

Let's hope the judges learned a lesson about who they let through to Hollywood next year.

p.s. Why is the Chris' comments/Simon's-eye-rolling incident not relevant to the discussion? it happened on the show and we're entitled to our opinions. I think it's weird we are not "allowed" to discuss it. :shrug:
Whatever.

NotaGeek
04-19-2007, 02:08 AM
p.s. Why is the Chris' comments/Simon's-eye-rolling incident not relevant to the discussion? it happened on the show and we're entitled to our opinions. I think it's weird we are not "allowed" to discuss it. :shrug:
Whatever.

I am not sure who said you couldn't discuss the eye rolling, even though it has been addressed on tonight's elimination show and seems to have been taken out of context ... but anything on the show that is relevant is open for discussion. We moderators only jump in when things get out of control and horribly off topic, and I didn't notice anyone with a mod alert anywhere.

By the way, SEE YA SANJAYA! :wave:

Ian
04-19-2007, 07:11 AM
America finally got it right. Thank you.

Bottom three was close to correct except they needed to switch out Blake for Chris. I do agree that Blake should have been the 4th rated of the night, though, which would have put him only one slot above bottom 3.

Next I'd like to see Chris or Lakesha go. Either one of them and I'll be happy. Does anyone know if, with this Idol Gives Back stuff going on next week, are they effectively taking a week off or will someone still be sent home next week?

sgdisney
04-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Wacky, Tuesday night is a 2 hour show with the final 6 performing and Wednesday is elimination night, but I'm not sure about the times. The AI website does not even have the times posted on the front page yet

Ian
04-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Okay, that's good to know. I thought it might be a Fox ploy to extend the show by one week. ;)

I wonder how Fox execs feel about Sanjaya being gone. It will be interesting to see what the ratings do.

By the way, did anyone besides me notice that Ryan said they got 38 million votes this week? I was wondering if that was an indication that people were sick of Sanjaya so more people turned out to vote for the real contestants?

poeticeclipse
04-19-2007, 10:42 AM
I've been an avid AI watcher and i've never seen been so appauled by the lack of talent in a group as a whole. When they do group songs I just think to myself "oh goodness, this is not pretty." If you ever get a chance to watch Idol Rewind and you see the first season's group performances. They blow everyone elses away.

Now, as single performers. I truly think that Blake has the best chance to take it all. I'm judging by marketability, personality, and actual talent on stage. He's someone that I think many people would love to see on an album cover. Blake is very smart when it comes to music and producing. That could take him very far.

Melinda is well... Melinda. Great great voice. But as Simon said on Tuesday, she needs to lose the "surprised" look on her face. She wouldn't have even tried out for AI if she didn't thinks he had some great talent so she shouldn't feel as though she needs to be modest. Being humble is great but she also needs to learn how to take a compliment with grace and a little bit of pride.

I really like Lakisha but I think that she needs to be more versatile. That's what's hurting her.

The people that I want to see off ASAP, Chris and Phil. Goodness, i'm not sure how much more I can take of them! haha.

TheDuckRocks
04-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I can't help but feel sad for this kid, I really feel the judges did a big disservice to both him and the other contestants when they put him through to the final 24. But that said...

HE'S GONE !!!!! :joy: :wave:

allie_to_you
04-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Woo Hoo! Sanjaya is Gone! (Doin the happy dance!)

I just shouted yes! when he got voted off last night. I was seriously sitting on the edge of my seat thinking that I wasn't watching another minute of this show if Lakisha was voted off before him.

I don't think she is good enough to win at all but she is 100% better than Sanjaya.

Now if we can just get rid of Chris, Blake, & Phil I'll be happy. I don't like any of them. Lakisha needs to go after them and I want the finale to be Jordan & Melinda. Those two are awesome although I agree with others that say Melinda needs to learn to accept compliments more.

I truly hope Jordan wins it all. Shes cute, great voice and great personality!

2Epcot
04-19-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't think I've ever heard so much applause and cheers when someone was kicked off the show. I'm glad Sanjaya is finally gone. I'm sure a few of the other contestants wished he had left before they did.

MNNHFLTX
04-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Wow! American Idol has become so unpredictable this year that seeing a logical outcome almost seemed, well--illogical! Anyway, I don't really feel sorry for Sanjaya. As I said in an earlier post, I think he took the competition really seriously at first and so all the criticism seemed to wound him a lot. I think once he realized that he was being voted through, for whatever reason, that he had a chance to either continue to look bewildered and guilty each week, or that he could capitalize on the situation and gain some notariety. So that's what I think he did, and in a way I admired him for that. Not enough to want him to stay in the competition, mind you! But I think when all is said and done he will have extended his fifteen minutes (or fifteen weeks, however you look at it) of fame into a career of some sort. He is already a household word.

That said, when he was crying after the results were announced, it made me think how in the end he is still just a kid who's been on one doozy of a roller-coaster ride.

Marker
04-19-2007, 01:18 PM
I think he took the competition really seriously at first and so all the criticism seemed to wound him a lot. I think once he realized that he was being voted through, for whatever reason, that he had a chance to either continue to look bewildered and guilty each week, or that he could capitalize on the situation and gain some notariety. So that's what I think he did, and in a way I admired him for that. Not enough to want him to stay in the competition, mind you! But I think when all is said and done he will have extended his fifteen minutes (or fifteen weeks, however you look at it) of fame into a career of some sort. He is already a household word.

If I may use this as an example.... This strikes me as a pretty good attempt to justify the bad behavior or a lot of people based only on what we think he thinks. Money and fame do not always make everything ok, and doesn't make bad behavior good. Honestly, I hope he has a good publicist who can help him parlay this into a much more positive experience.

Actually, after they announced the bottom 3, and his eyes were tearing while sitting on the couch, the first thought in my mind wasn't that he was afraid to be leaving, but that he was afraid of not leaving and causing Lakisha or Blake to go. But, there again, no one knows what was going through his mind, but the man (boy) himself.

Now I only hope that those who don't care about the show will STEP OFF AND LEAVE IT ALONE. But I suppose that's not likely.

Final 3 - Jordan, Melinda, Blake
Final 2 - Jordan, Melinda
Winner - Jordan (but if it's Melinda, I won't be disappointed)

Ian
04-19-2007, 01:20 PM
If the final two this season isn't Jordin and Blake, America made a mistake.

Marker
04-19-2007, 01:33 PM

I don't know. Me personally, I would vote off Blake before Jordan and Melinda. I'd even say if these aren't the final three, then America made a mistake (at least in my opinion). But beyond these as the final 3, for me it's kind of a **** shoot. I honestly think that Melinda is the best singer and performer...but, I don't think she's as marketable as the other 2, at least not as a "Pop" star.

I also wonder how much Jordan will improve over the years to come. In the beginning, I really didn't think much of her, but it seems like her talent improved amazingly.

And to be honest, when I saw Blake at the auditions, I thought he was a joke.... oops.

allie_to_you
04-19-2007, 02:58 PM

Just can't agree. I don't think Blake is all that great.

And to be honest, when I saw Blake at the auditions, I thought he was a joke.... oops.

Amen!

PirateLover
04-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I didn't think Blake was a joke at his audition, but I did think he was a one-trick pony and I wasn't sure how much singing talent he really had.

Turns out he's pretty good.

The only negative things that I will say about him are
1. He doesn't have the most perfect pitch
2. His range isn't HUGE but then again neither was Frank Sinatra's ;)
3. His transition to his falsetto could a little work- it's rough sometimes

Other than that I think this kid is way talented. His tone is so smooth and with a little work he could easily fix at least 2 of those problems. (It's hard to extend your range)

Plus, remember he is an overall entertainer and the beat boxing is a huge part of his shtick. He was performing for years doing that sort of stuff (you can see some of his clips on youtube) So this is probably the most straightforward singing that he's ever done. I love the way he modernizes the music, but then again I love alternative/electronic stuff.

He can sing, he can beat box, he can work the stage, he has smooth moves, and he can produce. Even if he doesn't win the competition I think many doors will open for him and he will have a pretty big career, at least in the Alternative/Indie world if not in the general popular music charts.

jedigrrrl
04-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I am not sure who said you couldn't discuss the eye rolling, even though it has been addressed on tonight's elimination show and seems to have been taken out of context ... but anything on the show that is relevant is open for discussion. We moderators only jump in when things get out of control and horribly off topic, and I didn't notice anyone with a mod alert anywhere.

By the way, SEE YA SANJAYA! :wave:

Then I don't know if it was a fluke, but I posted a short post about it yesterday afternoon and it disappeared.... :confused:

DizneyRox
04-19-2007, 06:57 PM
INow I only hope that those who don't care about the show will STEP OFF AND LEAVE IT ALONE. But I suppose that's not likely.
Correct, there's already a poll over there now to pick the next worst. Looks like Phil is next in line...

WEDTOPIA
04-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Now that the distraction has been removed , the competition can begin....
1. Melinda
2. Jordin
3. Blake
4. Phil
5. Lakisha
6. Chris

This is how I see it. The difference between Melinda and Jordin will probably be just a few thousand votes. Lakisha just barely scraped by in this last round. If she doesn't invest in a personality A.S.A.P. , she will battle with Chris for next one gone. Phil , Jordin , and Melinda had , by far ,the top 3 performances this week. At this stage of the game ,you're only as good as your last song. Personally ,I think Phil has the best all-around voice of any of the guys left. His problem is his looks. As I've said before , it wouldn't even be a total shock if Blake wins it ( Taylor Hicks ,anyone ? ) .

Having said all that ,Melinda and Jordin have the total package ,or at least , as close to the total package , as anyone in this competition.

PirateLover
04-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Then I don't know if it was a fluke, but I posted a short post about it yesterday afternoon and it disappeared.... :confused:
I remember reading it.

Correct, there's already a poll over there now to pick the next worst. Looks like Phil is next in line...
Yes they have done this every year. When their "pick" is voted off, they simply choose a new one. I think the difference is, no one is as controversial as Sanjaya, so once again their impact will return to minimal.

citizensnoopy
04-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Just can't agree. I don't think Blake is all that great.

Same here. He's okay, but I think Melinda and Jordin are way better.

MNNHFLTX
04-19-2007, 07:55 PM
If I may use this as an example.... This strikes me as a pretty good attempt to justify the bad behavior or a lot of people based only on what we think he thinks. Money and fame do not always make everything ok, and doesn't make bad behavior good. Honestly, I hope he has a good publicist who can help him parlay this into a much more positive experience. I guess I'm a little confused as to what bad behavior I'm justifying? :confused: As I've stated before in this thread, I certainly don't think people should have voted for Sanjaya because of any kind Vote for the Worst type of campaign--I think that is making a mockery of the competition and of him. And of course, I don't know what Sanjaya was thinking, I was just stating an opinion based on my own observation and perception (which is all any of us can do unless he eventually talks about his experience). And my perception is that he took a bad situation and went as far as he could with it. That's all.

Now I only hope that those who don't care about the show will STEP OFF AND LEAVE IT ALONE. But I suppose that's not likely.
Now that I can agree with you on. I would like to get back to the basics of the competition, and see the best man (or woman) win, so to speak.:cool:

Marker
04-19-2007, 10:45 PM
I guess I'm a little confused as to what bad behavior I'm justifying?

Yeah, you're right. You weren't justifying the bad behavior, but what you wrote sounded somewhat like what you'd hear from someone who was doing just that. I really wasn't meaning you in particular. It's more just the feeling you get from some who justify behavior such as this by presumptions about how the other person feels, or what they think. It's just generally frustrating. :shrug:

PirateLover
04-20-2007, 12:16 AM
If I may use this as an example.... This strikes me as a pretty good attempt to justify the bad behavior or a lot of people based only on what we think he thinks. Money and fame do not always make everything ok, and doesn't make bad behavior good. Honestly, I hope he has a good publicist who can help him parlay this into a much more positive experience.
Well, he's already been invited by People magazine to be their guest at the White House Correspondent's dinner. I think he'll be ok. Anyone think there might be a possible reality show in the works? I think one with Sanj and his Sister Shyamali might get decent ratings. She seems to have gained quite a fanbase of her own.

I don't think it's necessarily justifying bad bahavior by pointing out the truth- Sanjaya is a performer. He didn't wander into the auditions having never sung before. There are plenty of videos out there of him performing, reports of him going on school choir trips, doing everybody's hair and how everyone loves his voice back home. They say he's always been a showman. According to his friends, he always wanted this - to be in the spotlight. Of course it wasn't the way he necessarily wanted but he'll be OK.

I think those first few weeks he was just having a hard time taking it all in- which is why he seemed so shy. But then he relaxed and did his thing. Yes it was torture for all of us who wanted to see contestants like Sundance or Brandon or Stephanie or Chris Sligh get one more chance at it. But at the end of the day I don't think he'll be scarred from the negativity. He seems like he has a great family support system and I honestly wish him the best in his future. I just hope he doesn't get a record deal-though he probaby will. Maybe he could be part of the new Menudo ;)

imaprincess!
04-20-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm doing the happy dance since Sanjaya's gone! :woohoo:

My husband heard a rumor that when Sanjaya was wiping his tears away, he was doing it with his middle finger. Does anyone recall this? :shrug:

I thought it was pompous for him to change the words to "Let's give 'em something to talk about other than hair ..." :elvis: Of course, I know he's only 17 years old. :baby:

imaprincess!
04-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Does anyone know why Lakesha says she is from Michigan (I think it's Michigan)? She works at a bank here in Maryland.

I started out favoring her because she lives here and I thought she could really sing. I agree that her performances aren't what they were at the beginning and I definitely think there's a bit much hanging out of her outfits :eek: which is distracting. I like her better than Melinda. Lakesha seems genuine; I'm tired of Melinda's surprised look, too! I missed Simon's comments about that. I think Melinda has an unfair advantage since she already sings professionally.

PirateLover
04-20-2007, 06:23 AM
My husband heard a rumor that when Sanjaya was wiping his tears away, he was doing it with his middle finger. Does anyone recall this? :shrug:

Not sure but I did notice Simon resting his head on his middle finger and thought oh no here we go again. I've noticed Simon do that a lot. Maybe 2 rumors got mixed up?

I thought it was pompous for him to change the words to "Let's give 'em something to talk about other than hair ..." :elvis: Of course, I know he's only 17 years old. :baby:
I dunno, it didn't bother me. It's true. Now that he's kicked off, we'll have something to talk about, other than hair!

LibertyTreeGal
04-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Please don't read anything into whether or not someone wipes away tears with a middle finger. In many cultures, the middle finger is the pointer and I know many Americans who are second and third generation who are just the salt of the earth who will still point things out using that finger. It is just ingrained in them from a young age. It took me a while to get used to it, and now I don't notice anymore. I see it a lot in people who are descended from India.

Marker
04-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Well, he's already been invited by People magazine to be their guest at the White House Correspondent's dinner. I think he'll be ok.

I have no doubt that he will be ok. And if he can translate this into some kind of success, more power to him.

But for me, no matter how ok his is or isn't, and no matter how much success it brings him or doesn't, it still in now way excuse what I consider to be bad behavior. Intentionally subjecting someone to ridicule for your own enjoyment to me is wrong. To me, intentionally trying to distroy something that other people like simply because you don't like it, is wrong. It's rude, it's very disrespectful, it's mean, it's selfish, it's bad behavior. Whether or not Sanjaya is ok or not is not the issue at all, wrong is wrong. At least, that's my opinion.

Jeff
04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Intentionally subjecting someone to ridicule for your own enjoyment to me is wrong. To me, intentionally trying to distroy something that other people like simply because you don't like it, is wrong. It's rude, it's very disrespectful, it's mean, it's selfish, it's bad behavior. Whether or not Sanjaya is ok or not is not the issue at all, wrong is wrong. At least, that's my opinion.

Well Said!:exactly:

jedigrrrl
04-21-2007, 11:54 AM
To me, intentionally trying to distroy something that other people like simply because you don't like it, is wrong. It's rude, it's very disrespectful, it's mean, it's selfish, it's bad behavior. Whether or not Sanjaya is ok or not is not the issue at all, wrong is wrong. At least, that's my opinion.

I was voting for Sanjaya and I Love American Idol. It was fun in an otherwise mediocre year for the show. It also made Howard Stern's show even funnier whenever they talked about it. And I think the "effect" on the show has been blown way out of proportion. The people voted out before him weren't all that great either and it made the show much more fun to watch every week. Now that he's been KICKED OFF BY THE PRODUCERS, I'll still watch, but it won't be as fun.

Yes I am selfish. Too bad.
Rude and Disrespectful is a stretch.

I just hope next year they wake up and pick people with actual talent and marketability. I think the producers wanted Sanjaya on the show because it'd be funny or entertaining and it blew up in their face.:funny:

PirateLover
04-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Now that he's been KICKED OFF BY THE PRODUCERS

Ummm.... Conspiracy theory much? I think that sometimes the bottom 3 is manipulated but I don't think they would rig the actual elimination. :rolleyes:

jedigrrrl
04-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Ummm.... Conspiracy theory much? I think that sometimes the bottom 3 is manipulated but I don't think they would rig the actual elimination. :rolleyes:

According to the official voting rules of the show, “Rules and procedures are subject to change at producer’s discretion without notice.”

The results show was shady. It was obvious that Simon knew, in advance, that Sanjaya was getting the boot and even Sanjaya was crying the entire time, like he knew. It was weird, especially since he hadn't even been in the bottom 3 for many weeks. My husband thinks they might have even paid Sanjaya off, LOL. Also, the next morning, the top 6 was scheduled to be on OPRAH to talk about the Africa thing next week and I doubt the producers wanted Sanjaya around for that. It all seemed weird to me. Even Blake being in the bottom was waaaay weird, since he's probably the most popular contestant on the show. I think they tampered with the voting in a way that also affected Blake's votes. Maybe they didn't count any vote that was made using the online auto-dialers. I think that would affect Blake, too because many young girls that vote for him know how to use that type of technology.

i know you all think I sound crazy,:crazy: LOL, but the producers tampering with the results tarnishes the show way more than the "Sanjaya Movement."

This Thread is fun.

PirateLover
04-21-2007, 03:25 PM
I think EVERYBODY had the inkling that Sanjaya was a goner. I predicted the night before that I thought this may have been his final week, and when he was anounced in the bottom 3, I was smirking as well. As far as him not having been in the bottom 3 the prior few weeks, it means nothing. Do you remember Chris Daughtry? He was the heavy favorite and then BAM he was gone.

And I don't think they blocked the autodialers because Dial Idol's predictions were dead on. I just think some people who had been voting finally got tired of him, and fans of other singers voted more than they had in previous weeks. The joke got old. Everyone had their fun and now its over. I don't see the need to question the validity of the vote at this point. If the producers were going to mess around with the vote why would they wait this long to do it???? I'm sorry but I just can't buy the arguement. :shrug:

Ian
04-21-2007, 06:53 PM
i know you all think I sound crazy,:crazy: That about sums it up for me. ;)

PirateLover
04-21-2007, 07:05 PM
I just wanted to add one more thing.. even if the producers DID step in, I don't really care. It's not like he was good. And it doesn't seem like they've ever exercised that power before. Nikki McKibban staying on longer than Tamyra?? Reuben winning over Clay?? And I highly doubt they wanted Hicks to win the whole thing last year... I mean they still signed Daughtry and his album is doing great. They are using his song as the "kickoff" song. Why wouldn't they have used their powers to keep him on? OK well that's it for me wasting my time thinking about this. I'm glad that Sanjaya is gone. Back to the focus on talent.

DizneyRox
04-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, I can tell you that among the people I know, we voted about 4 times MORE for Sanjaya than previous weeks. I went from about 125 or so up to 510, someone else I know went from about 150 to 639 last week.

According to my stats, there were significantly more busy signals encountered than previous weeks, which is indicitive of more people calling.

They won't release it, and if they did, no one would believe it anyway, but among our group (it's a small group and statistically insignificant) it doesn't add up.

Oh well, not a huge deal, it was fun while it lasted. Onto bigger and better things. PHIL!

imaprincess!
04-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Really, you think the producers kicked him off? Honestly, I figured that even the people who were voting for him realized there was no denying how bad his version of "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About" was :ack:
and didn't vote for him. And I'm not a total Sanjaya basher -- I thought his performance the week before (Latino music) was very good, as did Simon.

Ian
04-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I think two things happened that contributed to Sanjaya's demise ....

#1, I think his performance was clearly the worst and I think that hurt his vote totals from the "average" folks who watch this show and just vote based on who does best from week to week.

#2, I suspect the non-Vote the Worst contingent got sick of seeing him trotted out there week after week and went into overdrive voting for everyone other than him (notice Ryan said they had like 38 million votes that night, which is a huge number).

I know I personally haven't voted once up until this week, but I voted 10 times this week for Phil because I was afraid he was going to go and he didn't deserve to.

jedigrrrl
04-22-2007, 07:39 PM
I just wanted to add one more thing.. even if the producers DID step in, I don't really care. It's not like he was good. And it doesn't seem like they've ever exercised that power before. Nikki McKibban staying on longer than Tamyra?? Reuben winning over Clay?? And I highly doubt they wanted Hicks to win the whole thing last year... I mean they still signed Daughtry and his album is doing great. They are using his song as the "kickoff" song. Why wouldn't they have used their powers to keep him on? OK well that's it for me wasting my time thinking about this. I'm glad that Sanjaya is gone. Back to the focus on talent.

this argument doesn't make sense because all those people had talent and there wasn't any hoopla surrounding them. They had no REASON to exercise that power before. All your examples are America getting lazy and not voting because they think "oh, (insert name here) is so good that there will be enough people voting that I don't have to waste my time voting, too." and then, oops, fans of the other contestants stepped it up and what you cited above happens. It's COMPLETELY different.

jedigrrrl
04-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Really, you think the producers kicked him off? Honestly, I figured that even the people who were voting for him realized there was no denying how bad his version of "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About" was :ack:
and didn't vote for him. And I'm not a total Sanjaya basher -- I thought his performance the week before (Latino music) was very good, as did Simon.

The whole point of this whole thing was that he is TERRIBLE, so the more terrible, the better. Most of the people voting for Sanjaya never even watched the show. At 9pm, the phone number to vote for Sanjaya was posted online and scrolled across the Sirius satellite radio.

PirateLover
04-22-2007, 10:01 PM
this argument doesn't make sense
Welp, it is clear we will not see eye to eye on this matter, so I am moving on.

Tuesday (as everyone should know by now due to Fox and Idol's relentless self-promotion) isthe beginning of the 2 day Idol Gives Back special. The theme is "Inspirational Songs" and as far as I can tell there is no guest mentor. I'm hoping that it's not a :ack: fest in terms of song choice.

Melanie
04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Moderator Alert!!

Welp, it is clear we will not see eye to eye on this matter, so I am moving on.

As we all now should!

Sanjaya is gone. While his presence obviously caused a bit of controversy in our otherwise happy little 'American Idol' thread, he is now no longer a part of the show. Let's all move on and discuss the remaining shows and contestants without sarcasm or flaming.

Thanks everybody! :sing:

dw2649
04-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Major Spoiler Below! Do not highlight if you do not want to read:

Tomorrow Night's performance show was taped tonight. Here are the songs that people sang (From televisionwithoutpity.com):

01 Chris Richardson "If I Could Change The World"
02 Melinda Doolittle "There Will Come A Day"
03 Blake Lewis "Imagine"
04 LaKisha Jones "I Believe"
05 Phil Stacey "The Change"
06 Jordin Sparks "You'll Never Walk Alone"
I think the theme was something that inspired the contestants, or something like that to tie into the Idol Gives Back show on Wednesday.

Ian
04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
My reviews, in order from worst to first:

Chris - Holy Hannah, I swear the judges have headphones in while they're listening to Chris and are mistaking whatever they're listening to for his singing. I think he's screechy, nasally, pitchy, out of synch, and just plain horrendous. Honestly, I'm starting to think he's worse than Sanjaya was. He needs to GO!

LaKisha - Bleh. Another mailed in, dull as paint, shouty, overwrought mess from our one-trick-pony LaKisha. She's next on the list after Chris. I dislike her more and more each week and I didn't think that was possible.

Blake - I agreed 100% with Simon and Paula on this one. Wasn't his best, but it's tough to get too carried away with Imagine. It's one of those songs that is what it is ... an anthem. You can't mess with it, but you'll never be quite as good as Lennon so it's a tough spot. He'll be in the bottom three for sure, but he'll probably be safe at least one more week.

Phil - Again, I agree with the judges. I think Phil has stepped it up huge in the last two weeks. All of a sudden he's gone from a joke to a contender. Since I said it about LaKisha, though, I have to say it about Phil ... he's a bit of a one trick pony although he sure is good when he's in his comfort zone. One thing, though, I thought Simon was right. The entire performance I felt something was a little out of whack and then I realized it as soon as Simon said it ... he sang a country song with his soul voice. It would have been even better if he had brought that country voice from last week.

Melinda - Okay ... the last two weeks I've officialy switched over from a Melinda-doubter into a believer. She's cleaned up her look and of course her vocals are amazing. All that being said, she's still no ...

Jordin - Who, to me, might as well get handed the title now and call it off. On a scale of 1-10, she's a 37 as compared to everyone else. This is two unbelieveable, amazing, star-quality performances in a row. She's the one to beat.

Melanie
04-25-2007, 08:35 AM
I thought Lakisha sounded really bad. I hope it's her night to go. I didn't think she had "it" before, but now I'm convinced.

I wasn't as blown away by Jordin's performance as the judges were. Certainly not the best performance on AI ever, IMO. It was good, but it didn't give me goosebumps. :shrug:

I honestly thought the best performance was by Phil. :thumbsup:

Jeff
04-25-2007, 08:41 AM
A pretty good week.
I agree with Ian's rankings completely. That is the order I would put them in based on last night.

conorsmom2000
04-25-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but this is the first year Mike and I have watched AI! :blush: And our friends all keep saying that's a shame, because to them, it's the worst season.....but, it's definitely interesting when you are a newbie to all this!

My reviews, in order from worst to first:

Thanks for the review! We did miss this weeks show, unfortunately, though we'll catch it tonight. It's at a point where it's tough for me to pick one, though the two I'm not crazy about are Chris and LaKisha. But, I do think Melinda and Jordin will be the top two contenders. :mickey:

Brer Mickey
04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I am completely disappointed in the judges after last night. Jordin had the best vocals and performance? I don't think so. Jordin has a very beautiful voice, but she is young and inexperienced and she needs to develope and refine her technique before I could personally consider her the best singer.

She has very poor breathing techniques and you can hear her sucking in deep short breaths between phrases though her entire song, whatever she happens to be singing. And if anyone was shouting last night, it was Jordin. I love the song You'll Never Walk Alone, (that and If I Loved You are the only redeeming qualities of Carousel) but on the chorus at the end, she was shouting far more than Lakisha ever has.

I am not bashing Jordin. I think she has great potential and has had some very memorable perfomances (Reflections being the most memorable)and with some proper professional training, she could be a superstar!

However, American Idol is a singing competition not a who-has-potential contest, and I have to consider the entire scope of a competition, not just the previous night's performance, to say who is or who is not a true contender for the prize. Based on that, I would have to say so far that Melinda has delivered the most consistant, star-quality performances and in my eye, is by far the best singer on the show this year.

citizensnoopy
04-25-2007, 11:10 AM
I agree with Brer Mickey. I like Jordin. I wasn't thrilled with her performance last night, though. I feel like Melinda is more polished as a singer.

I'm hoping that Chris or Lakisha goes tonight. I can't believe Lakisha sang another song by a previous AI winner! :confused:

MNNHFLTX
04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I thought Jordin's performance was wonderful last night. It's true she is not as polished as Melinda (who was also wonderful), but she has more star presence, IMO, and is more marketable. I would love it to come down to the two of them at the end of the competition.

I thought Phil did very well, but then "The Change" has always been one of my favorite songs. And Blake was fine too. I'm in agreement with at least some of you that I do not know what the judges see (or hear, as it may be) in Chris. He has good pitch, but with a tight, pinched and (yes) nasally sound to his voice. He would do okay in a boy band, but as a solo artist, I know his voice would bug me.

PirateLover
04-25-2007, 01:32 PM
I think I must be living in Bizarro World this week. Maybe it's because I was at the Phillies game (which they won! 4 in row! lol) and watched it on DVR and fast forwarded all the Idol Gives Back hoo hah. Now I am definitely a fan of bringing awareness to charity but the way I feel is that if Fox News Corp wants to give $5 mill, just DO IT. Why is it dependent on our votes? I think it would've been more effective had it been a seperate telethon thing maybe after the season and they brought in tons of former contestants and mentors

But anyway, basically every recap I read said it was a snoozer, yadda yadda... but I actually LIKED all of the performances!
Lakisha was the worst for me again, but not as bad as last week. However she keeps committing the cardinal sin of choosing songs made famous by former idol winners. This is 2 weeks in a row and I'm not sure it did her any favors.

Chris was eons better than last week I thought. Of course he's no Eric Clapton and the judges slobbered over him a bit too much but I found some enjoyment in it.

Phil was on key and everything and he sounded good but I just can't do it. I can't be a Phil fan, sorry guys! Just something about him bores the heck out of me. I admit to fast forwarding about halfway through his performance.

Blake, I thought, was great. I wasn't bored at all. The beauty of that song is in the lyrics and the simplistic melody. I have heard so many really god awful versions where people try to jazz it up and diva it out and everything and you just wanna scream NO. I thought he did not hit a bad note and he played it well. I mean what did Randy want him do, moonwalk? Given the theme for this week, there weren't too many options for him.

Melinda was great per usual.

With Jordin, I did agree with the judges. I thought she showed great control of her voice and her emotions were just pouring through. This is my mother's favorite song and it made both of us cry so she gets an A in my book.

I have no clue who will be in the bottom. But with 4 hours of voting there might be a shock, who knows. My bottom would be Lakisha, Chris, Phil, with Kiki or Chris getting the boot

jedigrrrl
04-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Idol Gives Back took the fun out of the show. That was hands down the most boring episode of Idol EVER. I watched it on my Tivo and fast forwarded through most of, even the BLAH performances. i couldn't sit through them. I watched the whole thing in 10 minutes. What's next week's theme? I hope it's more exciting.

I finally caught American Idol Rewind this weekend and my husband and I both got goosebumps after hearing Kelly Clarkson sing during the Final 4 performances. That has not happened this year at all. I got it last year from Chris Daughtry.

If you wanna see a pretty cool video, search "Kelly Clarkson Metal" on youtube and watch the video of her performing with a metal band. She's awesome.

Bethanymouse
04-25-2007, 04:58 PM
I think that Jordin was fabulous last night. She rocked the competition. Melinda is a good singer, no one can take that away from her however I dont believe that she will sell records. I think she will be the next Fantasia, Rueben, and Taylor Hicks. I think Jordin has the voice and the package. Hats off to her.:thumbsup:

Marker
04-25-2007, 06:13 PM
My opinion....

Top 3 - Jordan, Melinda, Blake
Bottom 3 - Phil, Lakesha, Chris..... Chris goes home.

Jordan was awesome.

"Idol Gives Back", the show is usually an hour long, it was an hour long last night. Everyone had a chance to sing. They showed a few pieces designed to increase awareness.... I don't see a problem. In fact, I voted more than I normally would BECAUSE OF Idol Gives Back.

But then, I watch the show because I enjoy it, and I vote for performances I like. Likewise, I don't mind a relatively minor intrusion for the sake of awareness and raising funds for a worthy cause. This helps children, it IS worth a few minutes of my time.

poeticeclipse
04-25-2007, 06:24 PM
I finally caught American Idol Rewind this weekend and my husband and I both got goosebumps after hearing Kelly Clarkson sing during the Final 4 performances. That has not happened this year at all. I got it last year from Chris Daughtry.

If you wanna see a pretty cool video, search "Kelly Clarkson Metal" on youtube and watch the video of her performing with a metal band. She's awesome.

I've been a huge Kelly Clarkson fan since AI started and long story short, i've followed her career very close and there is just no one popping out of AI like her. I won't go on and on about how much I adore her and why but I will say that she had something that not many other contestants have had on AI, thats the "X" factor. No one knows what it is but she has it. I think Chris Daughtry had it and I'm not sure about anyone else on the show prior. I think Blake is the closest one this season.

Really, to me, Blake is the whole package. The Voice, the Style, the Personality, the Charisma, the Brains, and the Heart. He knows so much about music and that's really impressive. I'll rattle on later but I have to go tan (gettin' ready for the Florida sun!)

Wayne
04-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I fail to see what is so special about Blake. His performance of Imagine almost put me to sleep.:sleepin: Chris is just anoying.

Phil has found his niche with the country songs but I don't think that he'll go all the way.

Jordan is great for 17, but I felt she had intonation problems last night and yelled a bit during the song. LaKesha started off great but has been a disappointment of late.

Melinda has the complete package. She is totally professional, has a voice that knocks 'em dead everytime and knows how to sell a song. I hope she goes all the way.

Bethanymouse
04-25-2007, 10:13 PM
So...what did everyone think?

jedigrrrl
04-25-2007, 10:13 PM
:ack: :ack: :ack:

Unwatchable.

PirateLover
04-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Well I actually liked tonight better. I feel like this is what Idol should've done in the first place, not intersperse the clips with the actual Idol performances like last night. I liked the Josh Groban and Kelly Clarkson performances. Annie Lennox was ok but she's not as good as she once was. Celine with Elvis was just kind of odd, even though Elvis was (is?:secret: ) the man. The Bono song wasn't as good as I would expect but ah well. I guess he was aiming more for the "we are the world" type of thing, not a U2 style.

I thought the elimination thing was really dirty though. They got me. I let out an audible gasp.

Marker
04-25-2007, 10:36 PM
So...what did everyone think?

I believe he said they had already made $30 million...... doesn't matter what I thought, IT WAS WORTH IT.

I thought the Elvis thing was cool.
I thought the Simpsons thing was funny.

The end caught me off guard, but not really surprised. In fact, if you go back and listen to what Ryan first said.... he said he was going to read the names in no particular order, no top or no bottom... he gave the hint right there. ( but if the contestants didn't know about it, I thing Jordan owes them a kick in the pants)

But back to the purpose of the program, they had my donation from their very first stories, in particular the one about the 12 year old boy and his 7 year old system who's parents had died, and the 12 year old was being head of the house.

I hope, no I pray the total raised keeps climbing. That sort of poverty amongst the children of the world is ridiculous.