PDA

View Full Version : Has Pin Trading been a success for Disney?

Volksjager
12-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Does anyone know how much Pin Trading adds to Disney's bottom line? Is it a *huge* revenue generator for Disney or something that they simply added to enhance the Disney experience?

I'm coming in January with just under 100 pins for trading...I'm looking to have fun with it.

DS-12 is into Goofy pins, though he was excited to find a complete set of buses last year. I think I will concentrate on Monorail, Muppets and perhaps a few hidden mickey pins this time around.

ibrowse17
12-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Well, considering what DW spent on pins the last two trips, I would say it really does put money into their pockets.

DizneyRox
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Considering it costs pennies to produce a pin, especially when you look at the numbers Disney produces, you can bet that it's a huge money maker for them.

I started like many during the millenium celebration, but have since stopped. It turned into an obvious money sink, one that I don't want to participate in any longer.

Volksjager
12-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I can see what you mean. It certainly can be expensive if you get the trading 'bug'. Obviously, you need to narrow down your target theme or else you will spend lot of $$$ on them.

My boy collected over 30 Goofy pins last year (thanks to Grandma) and was treated very special when he showed them off during our Goofy theme dinner. At that moment to was worth the cost.

Speedy1998
12-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Seeing as originally pin trading was only going to be at the Millienum celebration in WDW and they decided to expand it to all the parks I would guess it is a huge money maker. Personnaly, I like to buy one or 2 for every trip.

JPL
12-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Pin Trading is a major cash cow for the parks. As stated earlier in the post pin production costs are measured in pennies and prices range from $6.95 - $15.95. Not to mention the rubber backings, locking backings, lanyards and pin books they sell along with the pins. They also have promotional pin deals with Disney Visa and other companies most recently Kodak, Kelloggs, and Duracell. The amount of pins available is staggering and I would hedge a bet that Disney doesn't even know how many different are available. I was looking at my collection anbd realized how much I have spent in the past 6 years on pins and supplies :blush: and realized I could have a fully paid off DVC property

Melanie
12-13-2006, 04:37 AM
I started like many during the millenium celebration, but have since stopped. It turned into an obvious money sink, one that I don't want to participate in any longer.

:ditto: Although we still buy for our kids, because they do enjoy the trading.

Even in the few years I was involved, the increase in the amount of pins produced was insane. My hubby and I couldn't keep up with the new releases anymore, and that turned us off. It's obviously a huge money maker for Disney.

sneezyone
01-12-2007, 01:39 PM
my first year I went nuts with it but I "think" they were only like 5 bucks each then....now with them being like 7 or 8 bucks, I usually only get one or two "special ones" each trip and I keep them. I like my collection, but I don't want to buy ones just for trading, it's too expensive.

grumpyguy
01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
i must say pin trading wasn't on my priority list back in
2001 when i became reaquaited with wdw,but........
upon making a visit in '04 with my new wife,she was curious and we started a modest collection.this past sept we visited for 10 days and to quote the cast member who checked us out of resort,upon printing our
room expenditure receipt,"wow you guys has fun!!"i'm
not kidding our receipt lidt was about 3 feet long!!we had to upgrade from the complimentary lanyards to a
portfolio book that we bought at the pin trading spot
at dd.between the two of us we must have bought 45 pins on this trip,plus the portfolio,a "villians" lanyard
at mgm.they're great fun.we're mostly collecting them
and i don't think were looking to give any up!! :cloud9:
happy collecting,gg out :thumbsup:

tink2006
01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
My DS, age 14, is a pin trader. When he first started I thought it was a good way to encourage him to try to get "out of his shell". Now, it is just fun! I get pins for him for his birthday, Christmas, etc. He also gets several new additions when we go to WDW. His favorite ones are framed in his room. He loves trading pins/talking with CM. A couple of years ago we attended a pin trading session at DD. My son was very disapponted by the amount of adults that would not talk to him or let him look at their pins.

We limit our pin trading to cast members - we feel that it is safer and more enjoyable.

Not2Loud
04-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I am sure they make a ton of money, but I buy mine mostly from Ebay. I buy cheap traders and find stuff on CM's. I do it for fun, not collecting by any means. I probably only have 5-10 pins I really want to keep.

I loved the "Remember When" series.

2Epcot
04-03-2007, 10:04 PM

I started collecting pins very early, back in the early 90's. My first pins are from WDW's 20th Anniversary, and Disneyland's 35th Anniversary. I have some old Epcot Center pins as well. I'm sure some of these old ones are probably worth something as far as collecting, but I never got into the whole pin trading.

I've always liked pins, so I used to buy them especially during the anniversary celebrations. Once the pin collecting got so big, and you could purchase pins representing everything in the park I lost any interest in buying more.

I did bring back several from Hong Kong Disneyland, and was lucky to find a CM there wearing an "Opening Team" pin at HKD, which I traded a DCA pin for. Seeing how many there are now, it just all about money. I don't need a blue monorail pin, and the popcorn stand on Main Street.

glenpreece
04-21-2007, 10:38 AM
I just buy a few here and there when we go down. I like to get them at work (disney store) and then use them to trade when we get there. I don't even think I have 50. Some of them were things for doing stuff, buying a dvd or a book, doing the DVC pitch. I just display them on a throw blanket here above the computer.

Doug The Disney Man`
04-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I have been collecting pins (everywhere not just Disney) since I was a kid in the 80s. I love the enormous variety of pins we can get while we're down since the Millenium. I usually pick up ten pins or so each trip AS my souvenirs. Instead of buying two or three tshirts at $25 a piece, and rarely getting to wear them out, I get a whole range of pins and use them as tie tacks and display pieces.
I never really got into the trading aspects of the pin collecting, though. Maybe this July I'll give it a try. I say that every year, and just like eating at Restaurant Marakesh in Morocco-I always chicken out! :pout: Oh well.

Kathie_WE
06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Is it a money maker? Of course! Do we care? NO!!! We find it to be a great ice breaker and conservation starter.

DH has mostly pirates and I have bit of everything. While we do trade for the right pins, we have also been known to just give pins away..... such a great way to share a smile!!!

CHEERS!

Kathie

vamaggie
06-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Our DS got into it when we went to WDW for the 1st time when he was 4. Now, myself, DS, & DD (4) are all into it. We have about 60 pins total. I bought about 80 on Ebay for our upcoming trip and they ended up wanting to keep about 15 or so. The kids like to trade and try to see how many of their favorites they can get. I'm sure it is a big money maker for Disney and it is nice to me that there are so many pins to choose from.

PirateLover
06-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't really get the whole trading thing. I mean I've loved pins and buttons since I was a child and used to have a jacket full of pins, patches, slogan buttons etc and have bought a fair amount of Disney pins, but I never wanted to trade. I know there were probably some cooler ones out there but the way that I look at it is if I liked it enough to buy it, I don't want to trade it away. I guess I just can't get into the trading spirit, lol.

The important thing here though is that I still do buy pins even though I don't trade, so they make money off me as well.