PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club

Figment!
11-12-2006, 11:00 AM
3/19/07

As of 3/17/07, the Laugh Floor appears to have started an indefinite period of regular public previews. A clapper board outside the attraction has listed the attraction as "now open" while conducting previews of the attraction (set to officially open April 2, 2007) continuously. It is currently unknown how long this type of preview will last, although it seems likely they will be conducted until the exclusive previews start circa March 28, 2007.

3/7/07

New Passholder Preview Dates Announced (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1217116&postcount=51)

3/2/07

Disney has announced that the new Grand Opening date for the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club is April 2, 2007. At this time new AP / DVC Preview dates have yet to been released.

1/2/07

DVC Previews are confirmed to be delayed.

This means both Passholder and Disney Vacation Club previews will happen near the attraction Grand Opening in "Spring 2007".

Formal Announcement Delaying DVC Previews (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1152190&postcount=37)

12/28/06

The Orlando Sentinel has reported (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1147593&postcount=33) (via a Walt Disney World Resort Spokesman) that Passholder previews have been delayed along with the Grand Opening.

No confirmation yet it the announced Disney Vacation Club member previews have been delayed as well. Passholder and Vacation Club Member previews typically happen together.

12/20/06

The Grand Opening of the attraction has been reportedly delayed. Despite official promotional material listing a January 24th opening as recent as last week, this is only now expected to be another preview near this date.

The attraction has now been internally reported to have a Spring 2007 Grand Opening.

This extension of the preview period is not expected to effect the Disney Vacation Club or Passholder preview dates. This may mean that the attraction sees a 60+ day period of General Public Previews (aka Soft Openings)--or it may mean more of these "early rehearsal" type previews--or a combination of the two.

12/12/06

"Early rehearsal" type previews now also include the pre-show segment of the attraction.

12/11/06

Some promotional material now lists a Grand Opening date of January 24th, 2006. This falls in line with the preview dates. This would also be during the same time period as the Finding Nemo--The Musical Grand Opening Press Event.

12/8/06

Disney Vacation Club Member previews have been announced as January 19 - 21, 2007. Passholder previews are expected to be held the same weekend.

The official Grand Opening of the attraction is anticipated for the week of the 22nd.

Due to the "early rehearsal" type previews to hone the show's material and presentation, General Public Previews (Soft Openings) may be limited to a few days or may not be conducted.

12/4/06

The Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club Sign has manifested outside the site of the new attraction. The signage is similar in style to the one for Stitch's Great Escape, The sign features a 2-D mike cut-out holding a laugh canister and a microphone standing on top of the sign. Currently the sign has a coming soon banner across most of the sign, such that only "Monsters Inc." and "Comedy Club" is clearly readable.

11/20/06

Orlando Sentinel Article on Previews (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1119908&postcount=23)

11/14/06

Laugh Floor blurb (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1115184&postcount=19) has been added to the Magic Kingdom Monorail Spiel

11/12/06

The Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club held an unexpected preview on 11-11-06.

Following are some notes of interest based off of reports of that preview:
The new seating added to the theater is in the form of benches.
A slight slope has been added to the theater for improved visibility, but it is not to the degree of a "typical" theater.
The front of the theater is comprised of three screens, big screen in the center and two smaller screens on the side. One of the smaller screens is a "closet door".
There is planned to be a pre-show, however it was not previewed.
It has been confirmed that guests can text message jokes via cell phones and PDA's .
The show is split into three segments
1) Various audience members are shown on the big screen and are either given a humorous caption and/or are shown with a Monster (no true interaction here though)
2)Mike and three other Monster comics perform a stand-up session that fully interacts with the audience. Cast Members give individual guests a microphone to interact while being seated. The interacting guest is shown on the big screen.
3)The Monster Comics each share one or two jokes submitted by the audience along with the name and hometown of the sendee.
As expected, all of the Monsters are animated on the screens in the same style as Turtle Talk, there are no audio-animatronics used in the show.Full previews are still expected to be at least 30 days off; however, there more early previews like this are planned to be held in the coming weeks in order to hone the show.

tundramom
11-12-2006, 01:42 PM
What, where? My DH said he heard a blurb about this on one of the monorail spiels, but we never heard it again, do tell please.

Rosanne
11-12-2006, 02:49 PM
OOOOHHHH I can't wait for this!! I honestly think that it will be a really amazing attraction!

I LOVE NEW STUFF! :mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
11-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Here's hoping it will be showing when we go in 50 Days! :fingers:

Coleby
11-12-2006, 03:17 PM
To me it still sounds incredibly cheesy. I have a hard time sitting on benches so I guess I will be "sitting" this one out. I do wonder how long each show will be though. Just from reading about it though I don't feel the Disney magic. I could be wrong. I will try to keep an open mind.

Figment!
11-12-2006, 05:04 PM
What, where? My DH said he heard a blurb about this on one of the monorail spiels, but we never heard it again, do tell please.It's a new Tommorowland attraction at the Magic Kingdom--the replacement for the Timekeeper.

ariel03
11-12-2006, 05:24 PM
It has been confirmed that guests can text message jokes via cell phones and PDA's .

Do they really expect us to pay to send a text message to participate in the show. I know it is only 20 cents a message but wow. Hope it is something they are handing out. I won't be one sending a text message.

Coleby
11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
I just thought of something, if the jokes come from the audience, what happens if no one can think of any?

DizneyFreak2002
11-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Not all the jokes come from the audience. I think Jason said 1 or 2 per comic, which turns out to not be many if you think about it. I think I like the sound of this. However, I say it is only a matter of time before someone sues Disney over showing them on the screen with a funny caption. Sooner or later, someone will take offense since everything now-a-days offends people.

PixiePrincess
11-12-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm excited about this attraction! Can't wait! :woohoo:

The Funbunch
11-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Any chance that previews available to us during first week of Dec?

Figment!
11-12-2006, 10:29 PM
I just thought of something, if the jokes come from the audience, what happens if no one can think of any?The audience jokes are only used for the third segement of the show, which appears to typically contain 4-8 jokes. Further, it is only stated that submited jokes might be used, so there are likley some "default" jokes as well.
Any chance that previews available to us during first week of Dec?Too early to tell, stay tuned to INTERCOT for the latest. :thumbsup:

The Funbunch
11-12-2006, 10:58 PM

IDreamofEeyore
11-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Wow! This is the first I've heard of this...and we were just talking about the surprising lack of Monsters Inc attractions at WDW!!

Any idea on when this will be opening?? Hopefully it will be up and running before our trip in July 07!

Donald Duck 224
11-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Im probably gonna miss it next week since it wont be open. Does anyone know how long this attraction will be? Or if the jokes are not adult material(i assume they arent)

Figment!
11-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Any idea on when this will be opening?? Late January 2007.
Does anyone know how long this attraction will be?The early preview did not include the pre-show and the show was not in "final" form, so it is not concretely known.

Extrapolating from the single preview so far, the attraction length is estimated to be 20-25 minutes plus pre-show.
Or if the jokes are not adult material(i assume they arent)The jokes were reportedly all "family friendly".

DREAMADREAM93
11-13-2006, 11:34 PM
oh great, my little sister will go nuts. When the movie came out it was her all time favorite, and now that she is 7 she still adores the movie. Seeing it on the big screen[ and of course the two smaller ones ], will make her not want to come home even more!

GiltterDisneyGirl
11-14-2006, 03:35 AM
I hope they have som early shows when i am there! :fingers:

Ms.Disney
11-14-2006, 11:23 AM
I was at MK last night and in the monorail spiel it says that the laughing floor is set to open in early 07 :mickey: Just wanted to let everyone know, I was not sure if this had be reported or not :thumbsup:

tundramom
11-14-2006, 09:52 PM
It's a new Tommorowland attraction at the Magic Kingdom--the replacement for the Timekeeper.
Thank You!

ktflisa
11-15-2006, 12:03 AM
yay! I'm hoping we get a sneak preview. I love Turtle Talk, so this should be great!

My customized map I received today says it is opening 1/23/07. We will be there Dec 15-19 and will be checking the area closely each time we are in MK.

As for the text messaging, a lot of shows are doing that. We saw Blue Man Group recently and they had an ongoing text ordeal. We pay a very small amount for unlimited text messaging on our Verizon plan, so I'll be thinking up jokes *just in case* !!

mrsgaribaldi
11-20-2006, 03:12 AM
DH and I were there on 11/11 (his 40th birthday) and got to see the show. Some of it was extremely slow but some was hilarious(IMHO). The inside looked really good. We were asked to stay behind and offer ideas and opinions about the show and what they could do to improve it. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's 100% ready.

joelkfla
11-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Monsters, Inc. comedy act gives material a test

Christopher Boyd and Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted November 20, 2006

Visitors to Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom might find themselves walking in on a new Monsters, Inc. comedy act being rehearsed in Tomorrowland by Walt Disney Imagineering.

The new attraction, Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club, is supposed to open in mid- to late January but is far enough along that Disney is occasionally "test playing" its routines before audiences over the next few weeks.

The new attraction is taking the place of the old Timekeeper experience in a pavilion shared with the Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin ride. Disney has remodeled the room as a 400-seat theater.

The new show, based on Pixar's 2001 animated movie Monsters, Inc., uses technology that was first tried at Disney World at the Turtle Talk with Crush show at Epcot to create an interactive dialogue between the audience and projected animated characters from the movie, led by Mike Wazowski, the one-eyed hero.

In the attraction's story line, Mike, having realized in the movie that laughter is many times more powerful than screams as a power source, has opened the comedy club to collect laughs that will generate power for the future.

Disney still has not announced an opening date for the show, but officials last week confirmed the play tests mostly with visitors who are invited in. Currently, the attraction is not marked with signs.

big blue and hairy
11-30-2006, 11:20 AM
What are the chances of the Laugh Floor being "rehearsed" during MVMCP? DW and I will be there Dec 21. :santa:

:sulley:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
12-03-2006, 09:26 AM
This is going to be sooooooo Cool!!!! I'm a huge Mike and Sulley fan. Hopefully the characters will come over to the Magic Kingdom now for meet and greets. It would probably be right in front of the new event. My husband and I are thinking about coming to Disney next year in Oct. or Nov. 2007 for our 10 year anniversary. ( cannot wait!!!) Soooooooooooo-in the mean time, everyone who's down there now or before my time please give Sulley and Mike a big hug for me....... :sulley:

Figment!
12-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Update 12/8/06

DVC Previews Announced

MCFantasia
12-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already--I'm at MK right now and didn't have time to scan the thread from my phone. Those wishing to catch a glimpse of the Laugh Floor... its lobby can be seen from the "outside" windows while you are on the TTA.

Figment!
12-20-2006, 03:06 PM
**Preview Period Extended**

See 12/20/06 Update in original post.

Flower
12-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Have any AP preview dates been announced yet?

We will be buying our AP's when we are down there in January so I do not have access to the passholder site yet!

Figment!
12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Have any AP preview dates been announced yet? I don't believe so, but the Disney Vacation Club dates have (see first post).

Typically, both of these previews are held at the same time.

JPL
12-21-2006, 11:28 PM
I have heard from several sources that they are having alot of technical diffulties with this attractions despite the fact they are using the same technology as Turtle Talk but on a slightly grander scale. The main problems seem to be with the audio and the animation sync.

GothMickey
12-22-2006, 12:14 PM
The opening of the attractio has been pushed back from January 2007 to Spring 2007 as crowd reaction has been not too friendly. Crowd response was lukewarm, not great, and the Imagineers want GREAT.

Figment!
12-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Humor Put on Hold

Monsters, Inc. attraction to get more fine-tuning

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
December 28, 2006

A comedy club show based on the popular Monsters, Inc. movie apparently isn't quite ready for the big time.

Walt Disney World has confirmed that the opening of its next big attraction -- The Monsters, Inc. The Laugh Floor Comedy Club show -- will be delayed a few months so that Walt Disney Imagineering can make adjustments now that test audiences got to try it out earlier this month.

The Magic Kingdom attraction draws on characters from the 2001 Pixar Animation movie, Monsters, Inc., and uses new technology to give audiences an interactive, sometimes improvisational, robotic comedy show. The attraction was built into the old Timekeeper location in Tomorrowland.

The Laugh Floor Comedy Club was slated to have passholder previews, then a grand opening, in January. But now those won't happen until sometime in the spring, said Disney spokesman Jacob DiPietre.

The delay will give staff members a chance for more training in the complex technology being used, and writers a chance to re-script parts of the show based on audience feedback, he said.

DiPietre would not elaborate on what script changes would be made or why. However, audiences reportedly have been lukewarm to the humor.

Chris Eliopoulos, who was in one test audience, said he thought the overall structure was sound and the crowd found the technology exciting, but the humor was a bit flat and the jokes didn't hit their marks. However, Eliopoulos, 39, of New Jersey, himself a humor writer and cartoonist, respectfully pointed out that humor is hard work.

"Humor that is funny for all ages is even harder," he conceded.

The Laugh Floor Comedy Club is one of three attractions that Disney World expected to open in short order during the early part of the Year of a Million Dreams promotion that began in October. At Epcot, a ride called The Seas with Nemo and Friends opened in November. At Disney's Animal Kingdom, a stage show called Finding Nemo -- The Musical had a soft opening this month and prepares for an official premiere in January.
So it appears that at least the Passholder previews have been delayed.

Have any Disney Vacation Club Members received word that the previously announced DVC previews have also been delayed?

Ian
12-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I read about a week ago that the entire opening was going to be delayed several months while WDI went back and retooled the show. Apparently, guest response was tepid at best and WDI didn't feel like the show was ready to be opened yet.

Apparently, they're considering re-doing large portions of the show to try and make it play better for audiences who, by and large, seemed very underwhelmed by the whole thing.

Frankly, I think this concept is a little thin to hold up an entire attraction. Turtle Talk is more of an interesting diversion ... I'm not sure this idea can hold up long term.

dlpmikki
12-28-2006, 12:23 PM
So it appears that at least the Passholder previews have been delayed.

Have any Disney Vacation Club Members received word that the previously announced DVC previews have also been delayed?

Nothing heard from them but it is not mentioned on the member website (however it was not on there even before this delay was announced) The only mention has been in the monthly email that came 8th December.

Carol
12-28-2006, 03:28 PM

We should be getting our next email newsletter next week.

Carol
01-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Here is the official word from DVC;

There has been a change in the preview dates for the new Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club attraction at the Magic Kingdom® Park in Florida (announced in the December edition of Vacation Magic E-mail Update). It seems the always demanding Roz, pictured above with the one-eyed Mike Wazowski, has requested a bit more paperwork. Disney Vacation Club is in close contact with Monstropolis officials and will share new dates as soon as they're available.

When the new attraction opens officially in Spring 2007, Guests will be treated to an engaging and interactive attraction that lets them laugh, joke and match wits with beloved characters from the hit Disney/Pixar film Monsters, Inc.

Please remember that attraction-preview dates always are subject to change (particularly when the attraction is run by a bunch of monsters), so watch for the latest information online at www.dvcmember.com.

SgtTigger
01-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Sounds like another Test Track Fiasco in the making.........

:doh:

When do they start putting the sand bags in the ride??????

:scratch:

:cop: :tigger:

washuswede
01-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Today (January 9th) at around 12:00, Disney Imagineering held a test phase of the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club. According to staff members outside the show, the Imagineering staff was looking for real-life input on how to change the show. Three hundred Magic Kingdom visitors (the capacity of the theater, I assume)that happened to be walking by the old TimeKeeper pavilion were asked to stop in, watch the show, and leave comments. After the show (which lasted about 20 minutes, all of which I managed to video tape) a member of the Imagineering team (unaffiliated with the show) asked the audience for their input, with most happy of the show and its acts.

The show as it stands is not yet finished, with Imagineering deciding on whether to put in more "video capture" moments where they pick out more audience members, or even the naming of the characters. Today's cast member referred to one set of the performers by different names than their present names "Sam and Ella." The other performers were a purple monster named Bobby Boil (I think) and Mike Wocszowski's nephew Mikey (I think)... After voting with applause, Roz (the secretary on the scare floor at Monsters Inc.) told us that Sam and Ella had won, but Mike later told us one of the video capture audience members had really won (he was constantly referred to as the man with smelly armpits). After concluding the show, all audience members were given a "golden ticket" fastpass that allowed us to pick any fastpass line at Magic Kingdom between now and Feb. 17.

It's a pretty cool show, much better than the old TimeKeeper, but they're still working on it, hopefully some of you get to see it soon!

WashUSwede
--I've been to Disney World too many times to list...

1987-Present, Dixie Landings, Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge

Chipfan
01-20-2007, 07:57 PM
They did a similar testing yesterday January 19th, we were walkinng out of Buzz Lightyear and were asked if we were interested in seeing a preview of the Laugh Floor. It was an interesting show. It did seem to have some problems with the audio matching up with the animation and there were moments where the animation kept going but there was no audio to be seen. After the show we were held in the theater for another 5 minutes during which a survey was taken. simple questions like was there too much of this or that. Overall I really enjoyed the attraction it will be really good after they get the bugs worked out.

goofy for pluto
01-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I am looking forward to this attraction, and I am glad that they are taking time to fine tune the show
before they have a grand opening. Unlike Stitches Great Escape where INTERCOT members were coming up with better scripts than what the CMs had to work with.

amorillo
03-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Another site is saying the show will offically open on April 2nd. Is this true? If so.... has anyone heard about passholder previews? My family will be there 3/23 to 3/29... and we were hoping to get in on the fun!! :fingers:

Figment!
03-04-2007, 11:41 AM
My family will be there 3/23 to 3/29... and we were hoping to get in on the fun!! :fingers: If they follow their typical procedure, the attraction would likley be in General Public Preview mode at that time. AP / DVC previews are typically held on a weekend anywhere from a month to 2 weeks ahead of the Grand Opening date.

Christine
03-04-2007, 11:45 AM
We'll be there 3/13-3/21. I am an AP holder so maybe I will get to see it.

Although having read WDWacky's review of it, if I don't get to see it, I may have dodged a big bullet! ;)

DizneyFreak2002
03-04-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing it in May.... Hopefully it will be up and running full steam by then...

GrumpyFan
03-04-2007, 03:56 PM
I guess this means they've worked out all of the "bugs" or "crickets" would probably be more appropriate. Can't wait to see it.

Ian
03-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Although having read WDWacky's review of it, if I don't get to see it, I may have dodged a big bullet! ;)Ha ha ha ... hey, don't listen to me. You may like it! That's why they make 31 flavors, right?

Even as bad as it was the first time around, I'm still going to check it out when we're down in May. Here's hoping they improved it!

GrumpyFan
03-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't know all the cast of this new show, but I think the two goofy maintenance guys from Monsters Inc (Needleman/Smitty) would be great comic relief for this show, maybe for entrance/exit kind of voices.

Ian
03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
I don't know all the cast of this new show, but I think the two goofy maintenance guys from Monsters Inc (Needleman/Smitty) would be great comic relief for this show, maybe for entrance/exit kind of voices.Yeah, they could use them in a similar fashion to how they use Statler and Waldorf in Muppet Vision.

That's actually a good idea and the upside is that they didn't have "famous" voices, so using them wouldn't be as distracting.

JPL
03-06-2007, 10:18 AM
As much as I hope this attraction is a success I'm still pretty convinced it is going to bomb. I look forward to checking it out on my trip in June although something tells me it will be closed for re-tooling again by then. Sorry for sounding so negative but I have yet to hear a single positive review of the test showings from anyone. Even those sources that are usually overly kind in their reviews of Disney attractions have been bashing this one :(

joelkfla
03-08-2007, 01:17 AM
Be among the first to enjoy our newest
Magic Kingdom® attraction before it officially opens!

Friday, March 30 through
Sunday, April 1, 2007
Regular Park Hours

Because you're a valued Passholder, you and up to three guests are invited to join "Monster of Ceremonies" Mike Wazowski and his wacky friends at Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor, the hysterically funny new Magic Kingdom attraction inspired by Disney•Pixar's "Monsters, Inc."

You'll be at the center of the fun as a crazy cast of wisecracking creatures takes the stage to trade quips with each other—and maybe you, too! Under the watchful gaze of Roz, it's up to you and Mike to power the city of Monstropolis with riotous laughter!

Here are a few things to know:
For you to be admitted into the special preview, you'll need to present your valid Walt Disney World® Annual or Seasonal Pass and photo ID.

For your guests to be admitted into the special preview, they'll need to be accompanied by you.

Park admission will be required for your guests.

Christine
03-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Oh well...I will miss the AP preview by 9 days, as I leave on the 21st.

But again, having read so many scathing reviews, I don't think I will be crying into my :beer: too much!:D

tomorrowschild
03-10-2007, 07:34 PM
My aunt and uncle were in DW last week. They were in Tommorowland and their were cast members out front of Monsters Inc. They were inviting people who walked by the opprotunity to experience this new attraction. My aunt and uncle are not AP holders- they were just at the right place at the right time. They said it is soooo good, they loved it.

Figment!
03-19-2007, 09:38 AM
**Updated**

mjaclyn
03-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm excited to see this new attraction. Has anyone else seen it yet? How is it?

WDWfanatic742
03-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned in here or not, but supposedly the Comedy Club part was dropped and it's just Monster's Inc Laugh Floor. The sign outside and all signs inside have been changed to include this.

TracyL
04-01-2007, 11:44 AM
We went to the AP preview yesterday. The attraction was actually open to everyone, but there was a passholder-only line to the right that was basically like a Fastpass line. We bypassed a bunch of people and got into the pre-show space, which has been redecorated but is basically the same space it was when it was Timekeeper. We had a brief wait, then moved into the main show space. It's sort of dimly lit with long curved rows of benches and little tables with lamps, so it does look kind of like a comedy club.

It uses the same technology as Turtle Talk, so you do get a very interactive show, and it is well-done and clever. Of course, by its nature, it's always going to be different, so I think it has good re-ride value.

I love the idea of the text-messaging your jokes in, and people are clearly happy to do it despite whatever costs they incur -- I think these days, people who regularly use the text messaging feature of their phone don't even think about the cost of it anymore. AFAIK Disney doesn't charge, it's just whatever you would normally pay your cell provider.

The only glitch I see with the way they're doing this is that because they "pick on" particular members of the audience rather than purely taking volunteers, they occasionally get someone who does not speak English well enough to understand what they're being asked. This can be awkward for the Guest and it plays havoc on the pacing of the show, so they may need to change that in the future.

Overall, we really enjoyed it and are looking forward to seeing it again!

SteveO
04-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Not sure if there are other threads on Laugh Club so I'll just stay in this one. I saw this last week; I rather enjoyed it. I thought the technology was pretty neat; anyone know how this works? I'll always miss Timekeeper; I was a huge fan of that show but the Laugh Club was good for a couple of chuckles.