PDA

View Full Version : Team Possible Adventure at Epcot

Figment!
08-15-2006, 10:12 AM
8/24/07

Recently filed permits appear to indicate that the Team Possible interactive adventure will be returning to Epcot in the near future. Walt Disney Imagineering has recently filed a Notice of Commencement with the General Description of "WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORTS-Epcot-Kim Possible World Showcase SFX Package".

8/15/06

Starting yesterday (August 14th, 2006), Epcot has started a test run for a new interactive Kim Possible themed experience, called Team Possible.

The previous Casting for the UK pavilion Kim Possible character and the work in the ImageWorks both were part of the preparation for this test run.

General Description
During the current test run, guests are selected for the adventure by being "recruited" by Cast Members at the Epcot main entrance. Guests are then directed to the Canada pavilion where they are given their Kimmunicator and start their adventure.

Through the Kimmunicator device, guests are directed to search out clues "around the world" in World Showcase's Canada, United Kingdom and France pavilions. The adventure ends with a trip to Dr. Drakken’s lair (upstairs portion of the Imagination Pavilion) for the finale of the adventure.

Operational Details:
Credit Card information is required for this adventure, only if the Kimmunicator device is not returned at the conclusion of the adventure will there be any charge.
Test Dates are 8/14/06 - 8/18/06, 8/21/06 - 8/25/06, 8/28/06 - 9/1/06 and 9/4/06 - 9/8/06.
Adventures are held 11:00 am - 6:00 pm on above test dates.
The Adventure lasts approximately 2 hours
Guests under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult
Participation is limited and per Cast Member invitation only (at the main park entrance) .News Article

Epcot Visitors Get into Game to Solve Kim Possible Mystery (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1045077#post1045077)

Detailed Description

The following details have been comprised from initial first hand reports of the adventure, individual experiences may vary. It has also been noted by reports that some guests start with the UK mission while others start with the France mission.

***The following details the major events contained with in the adventure and may provide some mild spoliers, do not highlight below if you wish to be completley surprised***

Highlight the portion below to read the detailed description of the Adventure:Briefing in Canada
Guests start inside the Hotel du Canada where Team Possible is using this otherwise unsuspecting hotel as a front to brief its newest recruits--You! Here guests are given their Kimmunicator device (essentially is a cell phone), which they will use to communicate with Wade and Kim and interact with various clues along the adventure. Another feature of the Kimmunicator is that it contains a “help” button that guests can use if they get stuck on a clue during the Adventure.

France Mission

Here guests are lead to a quaint Librairie where they seek out their first clue. Here guests also view the first of several videos that covertly appear in a pane of glass. Guests are next directed to take a closer look at the Eiffel Tower via a covertly placed antique tripod camera with a few high-tech secrets. It is at this point in the Adventure in which a picture of your group is taken and appears on your Kimmunicator device. The remainder of the guests Adventure in France includes a hunt for a gargoyle and a analyzing a fragrant clue. Guests’ French Adventure comes to an end when they locate Senor Senior Sr. and Senor Senior Jr. holding out in a second story hideout and have a showdown with them from the street below.

UK Mission

Guests are initially directed to an old fashioned British Toy shoppe where they meet their contact—Scotland Yard Inspector McGuffin. Due to the high secrecy of the mission, Inspector McGuffin is not able to meet in person, rather he communicates with the guests through a Toy Solider and a t.v. monitor both in the Toy Shoppe display window. The guests’ Adventure in England includes communicating with butterflies in a well manicured garden, giving a secret phrase to an fellow agent posing as an English tea server, and receiving a clue via a classic British style phone booth and analyzing it in a crazy contraption in order to foil the evil Duff Killigan.
Dr. Drakken’s Lair Mission

After completing the two missions in France & the UK, guests are instructed that their final mission is to infultrate Dr. Drakken's lair. Upon ariving near the lair guests are given a brefing by Wade-bot in order to help you defeat the evil doctor and expereince the finalie of the adventure. The finalie invovles guests invading Dr. Drakken's lair and having a showdown with the evil doctor. For completing the Adventure, guests are given an exclusive Team Possible pin that features Kim Possible and “Team Possible” text.

Guests who have conducted the test run of this Adventure so far have reported it taking between 90 and 110 minutes to complete, on average. At the end of the adventure guests are asked to fill out a survey.

Annabelle
08-15-2006, 10:28 AM
hmmmmmm.... We'll have to work on being "recruited"

TuscanRaider
08-15-2006, 10:36 AM
That makes me real sad. :( For one thing, I dislike KIm Possible (well I dont really like Disney Channel at all anymore...it used to be good) and another thing I thought they were going to bring back the old upstairs or add some figment games etc up there. guess not... :(

GothMickey
08-15-2006, 10:43 AM
That makes me real sad. :( For one thing, I dislike KIm Possible (well I dont really like Disney Channel at all anymore...it used to be good) and another thing I thought they were going to bring back the old upstairs or add some figment games etc up there. guess not... :(

The key is this is only a test run. Only through September. The supposed refurb is to take place in October, but, nothing is confirmed with Disney. I think this is a good idea.

GrumpyFan
08-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Sounds like an interesting way to get more kids excited about Epcot and the World Showcase. But, I have to wonder how this will effect a family who just wants to stroll around WS and discover things for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like fun, and I'm not trying to pick it apart right now, but it also sounds like it will rush you thru WS so you can find a bunch of clues to a puzzle and "win". Maybe not, but that's just kind of the impression I got when reading about it. We'll wait and see what kind of feedback it has.

BrerSchultzy
08-15-2006, 11:34 AM
This sounds like a great new idea....and I would probably love it, BUT:

1) It's Kim Possible...maybe if they made it the Great Mouse Detective or something!

2) It's in the upper floor of the Imagination pavilion, where we had all hoped for some return of the magic...

although, Figment! correct me if I'm wrong, didn't one of the original posts say that they were going to permanently house this in the U.K. pavilion, and they are only testing it in Imagination?

2Epcot
08-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Sounds like an interesting way to get more kids excited about Epcot and the World Showcase. But, I have to wonder how this will effect a family who just wants to stroll around WS and discover things for themselves.

It does sound like a way to get kids more involved in Epcot. I've only seen short clips of Kim Possible, but I know my niece watches the show all the time.

My guess it that it wouldn't have really any effect on familes too much. Those with kids may have to plan time just to do that, assuming they are selected. It looks like they kept all the clues in pavillions all next to each, other on one side of the World Showcase, so you don't have to search the entire showcase ... and it only lasts 2 hours.

Figment!
08-15-2006, 02:26 PM
they are only testing it in Imagination?Yes. Reportedly the use of the former ImageWorks location is only for the test run.

didn't one of the original posts say that they were going to permanently house this in the U.K. pavilion, Not exactly.

The casting call for the Scotland Yard Inspector character stated that the role was for an experience in the United Kingdom pavilion. At the time, with no other related information, it appeared the whole experience would be in the UK pavilion. Now it is evident that the experience related information in that casting call was only relative to that specific role. The experience listed in the casting call (evidently) was for part of this larger "Kimmunicator" based adventure.

Mandykay
08-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I think it sounds fun. I just wonder what the chances of a 32 sf becoming recruited are? :D

Pop Centurion
08-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Sounds kinda fun. I'd only do it if Rufus tags along :D

tink4me
08-15-2006, 04:59 PM
It does sound like fun and my kids would have loved it. Too bad we aren't getting in to the World until Sept 12th

rsumrall
08-15-2006, 06:24 PM
My kids LOVE Kim Possible... and maybe I'll admit to being a closet KP fan myself. We'll be there during the test run. I hate to give up 2 hours, but I would do it if my kids wanted to do this adventure.

thefunkypurplegirl
08-16-2006, 12:35 AM
although i can't stand KP im jus so glad its nothing 2 do with thats so raven bcuz then id jus have 2 run away from my sister-shes obsessed wit the show an idk but it seems 2 me ravens not exactly a role model 4 a preteen....mayb a drama queen but not a preteen :princess: ya not in2 the whole cheesefest of acting school give me compelling stuff :D

well fingers crossed 4 more stuff 2 come along epcot's way-especially since the 25th anniversary is coming up-im so working at barnes n nobles 4 that, its not even funny-but yeah so who knows what theyll change there

my hopes n dreams is that theyll bring back wonders of life :doctor:-refurbish it or what not like they did wit universe of energy...but hey its the year of a million dreams :magic:

:mickey:

Figment!
08-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Cast Members have clarified the term "deposit" used in the orginal announcment.

A deposit is not actually required for this test run. What actually is required is reportdely just a credit card number. There is no charge made to the credit card unless the Kimmunicator device is not returned at the end of the adventure.

vizsla
08-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Sounds like something kids would enjoy. I know DD would enjoy that. Thanks for the update.

dad2princess
08-18-2006, 09:14 AM
I think this may have some merit, but possibly needs a small change. I think it would be wonderful if you were able to get one of these devices, and have it all day if need be. We like to take our time in Epcot, and my DD loves talking to the CM's there. While I think we'd like this idea of an adventure, I don't know if we'd like having to finish in 2 hours.

Honey_BDynamo
08-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Sounds kinda fun. I'd only do it if Rufus tags along :D

Yay, Rufus.

I think this sounds like a great idea to keep tweens interested in the "non-ride" part of the park. Actually, it sounds like it would even be fun for DH and me.

It's a bit more gadgety than the VMK quests, but doesn't it sound similar? Add the Pal Mickey technology into the mix and it's a Kimmunicator.

It doesn't bother me that they're trying something new. I'm glad they're at least doing the research and spending the money.

mycutiepatooties
08-18-2006, 10:57 PM
I think my daughter, age 6, would really like this idea! I hope they develop it further and make it available to anyone in Epcot. I know it would keep her interested in the WS longer than normal.

Figment!
08-23-2006, 12:24 AM
A few updates to the original post:

Name of the Adventure is "Team Possible"
Corrected start location of the Adventure (Canada)
A composite Detailed Description has been added based off a few reports of the test run.

magickingdom67
08-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Sounds pretty cool. I am sure my girls would love to do this. :mickey:

Figment!
08-29-2006, 10:21 AM
A few updates to the original post:

Updated/Corrected Detailed Description based off a further reports of the test run.

Figment!
09-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Epcot Visitors Get into Game to Solve Kim Possible Mystery

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
September 6, 2006

Those mild-mannered shopkeepers and their well-tended establishments at Epcot's United Kingdom Pavilion are now embroiled in a world of secret agents, mystery, and an evil plot to turn the whole world into one giant golf course.

So that explains what those kids, Ellen and Faye Meadows, were doing crammed in a phone booth playing with cell phones. Was that a golf ball that just popped out of the pay phone's change return? A clue!

Sleepy little areas in Epcot's World Showcase are coming alive with high-tech intrigue, as young heroes such as Ellen, 9, and Faye, 7, of Hemel Hempstead, England, run around trying to save the world, playing a prototype, high-tech, adventure game that Disney researchers are testing.

Ellen, Faye and others are on missions to help the cartoon character Kim Possible and her friends save the world. At the same time, they're helping Walt Disney Imagineering's research and development department explore possibilities for using the latest generation of interactive, hand-held technologies in theme-park environments.

Every weekday for another week or so, up to 100 selected visitors at Epcot are being handed specially programmed cell phones with global-positioning-system chips. Video, audio and text messages direct the participants to places, then activate special effects when they arrive, as they try to solve the mystery.

Disney Imagineering's research and development team is watching closely, first to see if the game is a hit, and what should be done to make it a permanent attraction someday. But more significantly, the researchers want to see how such technologies might be woven into new or enhanced Disney experiences without disrupting normal operations. The U.K. Pavilion, for example, cannot devolve into being just a game set.

If and when the game returns, it might cost extra. Disney officials say it is too soon to talk about whether visitors would be charged for the experience. But it's similar in nature to the Segway transporter attraction that Disney offers at Epcot. People can sign up for lessons on how to ride the two-wheeled scooters, then tour World Showcase before it opens, for $80 a person.

Bruce Vaughn, vice president for research and development at Walt Disney Imagineering, Disney's creative branch, envisions similar technology going into games or other activities that could be used not just in the parks, but at hotels, Disney Cruise Line ships and other places. In addition to games, Vaughn sees prospects for everything from concierge services to interactive guided tours.

Who better to try out such gadgets first than the people most likely to know how to use them -- kids?

"This new generation is growing up with the Internet, cell phones, mobile devices, hand-held devices, video games. This younger generation, I would say 20 and under, have a whole different idea about how to consume entertainment, how they can be involved in entertainment," Vaughn said. "That same generation, when they come to the park and we hand them a Kimmunicator and say, 'Go out and interact in the park as a secret agent and save the world,' they totally get it."

In the current test, which runs though Sept. 15, participants follow leads, collect clues and eventually try to help Kim Possible -- the main character of the Disney Channel adventure cartoon -- defeat the dastardly Dr. Drakken.

Ellen and Faye played the U.K. Pavilion version -- there's also a France Pavilion version -- while their parents, Julian and Sarah Meadows, relaxed nearby at an outdoor table of the Rose & Crown Pub. Faye, a big fan of the Kim Possible show, said she knew from the start that she would love the game. Much older and worldly Ellen wasn't so sure, until she started playing.

"I really want to continue now; I don't know why I almost turned it down," Ellen said, just before she and Faye rushed off to find another clue in the teashop.

"It's very interesting, they're trying to come up with new ideas, a new kind of entertainment, I think. It's fantastic," said Julian Meadows, an antique-furniture restorer. "It gets the children so involved. And I can sit here with my Guinness and I'm sure that they're safe."

The phones and GPS chips are not the only technologies involved. Lasers, talking puppets, audio and video special effects and other devices, all activated by the phones, move the story along toward a big finale in the bonus round. At least one professional actor is involved, and some of those shopkeepers must play along. There also is a chance for participants to communicate with one another to seek help. And it's not just for children; adults are playing, too.

After the test runs its course, Vaughn's staff will take all the surveys and observations they've collected back to the labs to figure out what to do next. It might be a year or more before the devices re-emerge for good. Regardless, it's clear to Vaughn that the time has come for personal digital devices to become part of the theme park fun.

"We believe this kind of device, with [software] overlays, we can make it appropriately for any age," Vaughn said.

Team Possible Photo Gallery (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-kimpossible090606,0,1803145.photogallery?coll=orl-business-headlines-tourism)

[Do Note: the photo gallery displays guests actually playing the game and reveals some game elements]
(http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-kimpossible090606,0,1803145.photogallery?coll=orl-business-headlines-tourism)

goofyfanatic
09-06-2006, 02:15 PM
It looks interesting to me.

Seth

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-06-2006, 04:24 PM
We did the Team Possible adventure last week at the World. It was just awesome! My DD-8 loved every minute of it, and DH and I think that it was the best part of our trip! It was fabulous, the effects were great, and you got to really explore France and UK. I can't say enough good things about it!

Figment!
08-24-2007, 09:09 AM
**Update**

brownie
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Sounds cool to me. I think our kids would enjoy it.

pdrlkr
08-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

glenpreece
08-24-2007, 12:04 PM
I really hope they bring this back!!! I'd do it in a second I love scavenger hunts!! Plus I love KP.

wdw_bound
08-25-2007, 10:51 AM
We didn't participate last year, as DD was not really in to Kim Possible yet, but we did see several other kids who really seemed to be enjoying it. DD9 is now a Kim Possible nut, so this would be right up her alley.

Here's hoping it's up and running by December :thumbsup:

Niecyboo
08-26-2007, 12:29 AM
I hope they do bring it back. We got to participate last August and my girls LOVED it. There were so many neat aspects to it. The already love Epcot, but this was a highlight of the trip.