PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy ... Big Disney Fan?

Ian
12-16-2002, 10:12 AM
I have a question for anyone who reads Tom Clancy novels ...

Is he a big Disney fan? I can't help but notice that in almost every one of his books (especially the later ones) he mentions Disney or Walt Disney World or Disneyland or some Disney reference like 10-20 times in each book.

I'm reading his new one, Red Rabbit, right now and I swear I'm not done and I think he's mentioned Walt Disney World like 25 times. The novel involves Ryan breaking a Russian defector out from behind the Iron Curtain and one of the things they talk about over and over again is how much his little girl will LOVE Disney World.

Also ... in Rainbow Six, Clark's team stages an assault on terrorists that have taken over a theme park that is distinctly reminiscent of Disneyland.

Clancy doesn't seem like the type to be a big Disney fan, so I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me?

TiggerRPh
12-16-2002, 12:34 PM
Gee Ian....I read a lot of Clancy....I'll have to think about that. I'm not as far as you are in his series of books.

Hmmmmmm...thinking...thinking...thinking!

Beast_fanatic
12-16-2002, 08:10 PM
I'm not a Clancy reader, but the only thing that came to my mind was that maybe Disney is giving him a kickback for mentioning them. You know, like the "subliminal" advertising that takes place in movies constantly.

Disney-4-Me
12-16-2002, 08:35 PM
I don't think Tom Clancy has to mention Disney to make extra money, nor does it sound like something he (or Disney for that matter) would do.

Ian, I hadn't thought about it before, but yes, I have noticed his references to Disney. I'm guessing he is just a Walt Disney fan. I did a quick search and didn't find any connections. I'm sure you could find out on one of the many Clancy fan sites.

I was disappointed in the latest Jonathan Kellerman book. I loved the book, but he wrote about his primary character taking his daughter to "Epcot or maybe Disney World" for a vacation. GEEZ where was his editor? I get annoyed by Disney ignorance in otherwise intelligent people.
graemlins/shakehead.gif

DisneyPan
12-16-2002, 10:59 PM
That's funny that you say that, because this past summer I read a book The Millionaires by Brad Meltzer. Half of the book takes place in Disney World, in the tunnels, and the Production Center where the parade floats are stored. I wonder if he worked there, because he described everything accurately.

It was a decent murder mystery book, but I loved it b/c it took place in Disney World.

EPCOTBoy
12-17-2002, 12:32 AM
I remember in "Along Came A Spider" (the book was so much better than the horrible movie), there was a big scene that occurred at the Transportation and Ticket Center. There was some decent descriptions of areas of Disney World and the other surrounding areas. I would recommend this book for suspense fans, especially if you liked the author's other book/movie, "Kiss the Girls".

WardKimballFan
12-17-2002, 01:08 PM
I think these writers set scenes in Disney World so that they can write-off their family trips as business expenses. graemlins/laughing.gif

SpecJoe Magic
12-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by WardKimballFan:
I think these writers set scenes in Disney World so that they can write-off their family trips as business expenses. graemlins/laughing.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif Well, I don't know if that is the reason, but it sure is a good idea. :D

TheInventor'sDaughter
12-17-2002, 08:42 PM
Hmmm .... I've always wanted to be a writer -- now I know what to write about!!!

Can you say, "write-off"!!??

smile.gif - V

imported_Melanears
12-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by EPCOTBoy:
I remember in "Along Came A Spider" (the book was so much better than the horrible movie), there was a big scene that occurred at the Transportation and Ticket Center. There was some decent descriptions of areas of Disney World and the other surrounding areas. I would recommend this book for suspense fans, especially if you liked the author's other book/movie, "Kiss the Girls". That is James Patterson, correct?

SC RacerX70
12-19-2002, 01:49 PM
There's also Clive Cussler's "Iceberg" in which the story concludes with a battle IN Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland... outstanding stuff graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Disney-4-Me
12-19-2002, 03:29 PM
That is James Patterson, correct?

Yes, Mel, it is. He is a very good author too. I have enjoyed all of his books.

Diane

Red Randal
12-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Yeah,

I love taking notes of those Disney references. Aaron Sorkin, who writes and produces the West Wing TV show, loves mentioning Epcot. I used to have one of the quotes from the show in my signature. In "In The Shadow Of Two Gunmen part 1" Josh (Bradley Whitford) chastises one of the Vice President's policies by saying that you can't run for President of the Walt Disney Company by saying you're going to fix the rides at Epcot. In another episode, the same charactor proposes taking his girlfriend on vacation, and while naming possible destinations he says (somewhat sarcastically) "we can even go to Epcot if you want."

Anyway, just thought I'd drop that in there.