PDA

View Full Version : The new luau dinner show

WDWdriver
01-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Some excerpts from the current Eyes & Ears:

Work is underway on a new dinner show that's scheduled to debut next month at Disney's Polynesian Resort. The new show will feature story-telling, singing, dancing and emotional connections.

The previous dinner show offered a luau and entertainment that a tourist might see on a visit to Hawaii. But in the new show guests are not tourists. They are villagers gathering together to celebrate the return of Leilani, a local girl who had left the islands to attend school. Throughout the luau we meet all of her friends that she grew up with. The new script is filled with comedy, dancing, familiar Hawaiian songs, and some music from the film Lilo & Stitch.

Cast members are making extensive modifications to the Luau Cove, which houses the show. Changes to the outdoor show area will include a refurbished entrance, new tables and chairs, a more colorfully decorated stage, and new sound and lighting systems.

Remzlightyear
01-27-2003, 07:00 PM
Sounds like it's going to be fun. Unfortunately, I never saw the original. What was that one like?

DizneyFreak2002
01-27-2003, 10:06 PM
I did not like the original... My opinion.

Jillpie
01-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Loved the original. Thanks for all of that news Ron. It sounds wonderful!

imported_PolyGirl40
01-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Thank you, Ron. :cool:

I will have to add this to my ever growing list of things to do on our next trip. We're going to have to stay even longer. We've already increased our trip by a day to see La Nouba before it goes dark. graemlins/laughing.gif

Originally posted by Remzlightyear:
Sounds like it's going to be fun. Unfortunately, I never saw the original. What was that one like? My family always enjoyed the "original". As Ron described above; It was similar to what you would see as a tourist in Hawaii. Native dancers, fire dancing and songs.

Katmegali
01-28-2003, 11:11 AM
I have never got to see the first one but this sounds like a definite on our next trip. I'm glad they decided to include some from Lilo and stitch. My girls really like that movie

faline
01-28-2003, 12:04 PM
We just did the "old" one a few months ago after not attending for more than five years. As wonderful as the new show sounds, I'm glad I got a chance to see the old show one last time.

MauiMouse
01-28-2003, 06:20 PM
I've been seriously thinking about adding this to our to-do list, now I just might have to convince the other 2 ladies that we might have to do this dinner. Thanks for the update. graemlins/mickey.gif

Disney-4-Me
01-28-2003, 10:06 PM
So this is replacing the old one? We used to see it every year, but hadn't in awhile. We were going back to see it again this summer. Is there still going to be fire dancing? That is the part my sons wanted to see again the most.

If anyone goes to see this soon, please write it up in a trip report so I can decide whether or not to make PS.

MaryburkS
02-03-2003, 12:40 PM
I was just thinking about adding this to my priority list of things to do next time when I found this post. That's interesting to hear. I'll be excited to find out what everyone thinks of the new show. Hopefully in the next month or so we'll get some good reports!

I wonder what in the world "emotional connections" are?? smile.gif

jwallace378
02-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Hope it has better food than the old luau

robyn221
02-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Do you know if reservations/priortity seating requests are being taken now for the new and improved luau show? My family and I are going to WDW the first week in March and the kids, especially my daughter would enjoy this.

Thanks!

Robyn

imported_PolyGirl40
02-05-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by robyn221:
Do you know if reservations/priortity seating requests are being taken now for the new and improved luau show? Welcome.

I'd call Disney Dining, at 407-WDW-DINE, and check on dates. Normally reservations for the Luau can be made 2 years in advance. However, the completion date for the renovations may impede with an early March date. It is tentatively scheduled to be done by February 28th.

Let us know how you make out. --- smile.gif

joelkfla
02-05-2003, 07:52 PM
There is a small article on it in the new Mickey Monitor (Passholder newsletter).

It will include a "spectacular fire-knife act," and will run "2 times a night, 5 nights a week (Tuesday-Saturday) beginning in early March 2003."

dansyr
02-07-2003, 09:41 PM
We made our priority seatings long ago. We will also be attending the first week of March. I believe they accepted our ps in Nov.

Verminator
02-10-2003, 05:08 PM
just made PS for May - no problem

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
02-21-2003, 04:18 PM
I just called WDW and got a spot for two at the show NEXT WEEK Friday Februaru 28th for the (_very_) first show at 5:15. Supposed to be 90 minutes. Looks like Disney is on schedule (I'll bet they padded the sched just in case and its been ready). Speaking of schedules, I hope I don't miss the first available monorail outta there afterwards(should end 6:45pm) 'cuz 7PM is E-Ride nite! I am so excited!! Luau + E-Tix = graemlins/ack.gif

It'll be in my trip report.

imported_PolyGirl40
02-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Steve, aka tikiman, posted this Luau review in another thread:

The other news is the Luau is open and here is a review from one of the staff:

The Disney's Spirit of Aloha dinner show (replaced the Luau) has started and I was able to go and check it out. It's completely different in the beginning, very upbeat and more up to date with the dress and dance and it's more of a theatrical type performance with a story line.

The second half of the show they do the dances from the different islands like they used to. The ending is once again, very upbeat and lively. They do the Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride song from Lilo and Stitch and have a dance to it. The food is pretty much the same fare but prepared a little different, (Coconut bread, salad, roasted chicken, ribs, fried rice, saluted fresh vegetables and dessert). I enjoyed it.

wdw_88
02-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Last Thanksgiving when my band came down to WDW, we ate Thanksgiving dinner at the Luau :eek: . Well, it wasn't turkey and filling but it wasn't that bad. I thought the show was entertaining, but I could see where somebody could lose interest in the show. Oh well, I hope the new show is just as good.

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
02-23-2003, 10:51 AM
Wow! Thanks for pointing that out. Now I can't wait! My tummy is growling already. graemlins/mickey.gif