PDA

View Full Version : Song of the South in the US

MinMin
08-22-2000, 09:46 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know if SOS is available anywhere in the US. My husband would really like to find it--we looked in Disney World, especially in the Splash Mountain Store, but have never found it. He has the soundtrack on album, but we have never seen the video.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks.

------------------

beth
08-23-2000, 07:21 AM
SotS is NOT available for sale in the US. It is available overseas in Europe. However, you would have to get the video tape converted since European video is on a different system than ours.

It is highly unlikely that this video will be released here in the US.

For more detailed discussion on SotS, might I suggest you visit our sister site, www.webdisney. (http://www.webdisney.) There is a board there solely dedicated to Disney films.

------------------
beth
[email protected]
Intercot Staff Member
WebDisney Staff Member (www.webdisney.com)

"Once upon a long ago, children searched for treasure. Nature's plan went hand in hand with pleasure."

For more fun on all things Disney, check out our sister site, www.webdisney.com (http://www.webdisney.com)

For fun and info on the land that started it all check out our sister site: www.intercotwest.com (http://www.intercotwest.com)

pjbs35a
08-23-2000, 08:42 AM
I have seen it for sale on other non-related Disney web sites.

------------------
FIRST TRIP 1980 - LAST TRIP 2000 - NEXT TRIP - IN PLANNING STAGES

Dixie Springs
08-23-2000, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know the reason for the lack of a US release of Song of the South? I originally heard there was a concern for racial reasons, then I heard that was not true. I just watched it (a copy with Asian subtitles during the songs), and enjoyed it very much. While there were stereotypes on both sides, they were no more evident than, say, Gone with the Wind. Uncle Remus was a caring and insightful character, who disuaded a child from running away by employing 'reverse psycology'. This is the overriding plot that Br'er Rabbit fits into. Uncle Remus is a hero in the film. So since it's probably not the race issue, why are our friends in Burbank witholding this wonderful film from us VHS Yanks? They've released everything else to video that Walt Disney witheld from television. There is nothing sacred for the current regime when it comes to revenue, so what's the scoop?

------------------

Fantasmic
08-25-2000, 01:19 PM
Song Of The South is not avalible ANWHERE in the USA in USA format (it may be avalible in european format though)
The reason for this is becuase it is considered to be Politically Incorrect. So therefore it is technically banned in the States !
I have a copy of SOTS and apart from the animated parts(which are brill) , it isnt brilliant, and I am the Biggest Splash Mountain Fan ever !!!!

------------------
"You're you, let your Disney Magic Shine"

"See it in your mind, and you can find, in your imagination, mystries and magic, visions fantastic, leading to strange and wonderous things..."-Fantasmic!

H2O plus 45š Angle
plus GRAVITY
plus a 5-STORY PLUNGE
plus some unsuspecting
helpless, "too late to
get out now"
passengers
EQUALS...

SPLASH MOUNTAIN
Next trip to the world
Next year !

Previous trips to the world:

'89 '90 '91 '93 '94 '95
'96 '97 '98 '99 2šoš

dpamac
08-25-2000, 02:36 PM
Okay, I'm not trying to start a debate. I just wanted to give the background on the lack of a SOTS video.

Full Story:
Walt had originally intendend on doing a series of Uncle Remus films, as he felt the morals in the stories were wonderful. However, upon release, despite the fact that the film was profitable, it was picketed by the NAACP for depciting "happy slaves" despite the fact that the film was set in the Restoration period.

That being said, there are several scenes that play into sterotypes that many people would like to forget. In 1946, the film was percieved, because of those stereotypes, as being "anti-black." Disney, as a corporation, realizes that they weren't as sensetive as they could be, considering the time. There is much more to the story, including the fact that the man who lead the NAACP in LA in 1946 was a technical advisor on the film.

Therefore, the film has never really seen more wide releases in the US. Consider the reasoning behind it. In the last decade, Disney has been the subject of myriad protest from family groups, religious groups, etc. So, in their mind, they are playing it safe. Disney is constantly blamed for things (think Little Mermaid, Lion King and others). This time they feel that they did a disservice to their audience and have locked this one away in their vaults. All artists periodically do something that they are not proud of. For Disney, Song of the South is their paticular piece that they are not proud of because they didn't plan it out very well.

------------------
Gary(aka dpamac)
[email protected]
Webdisney and Intercot Staff

Visit Our Intercot Family Sites. All Disney, all the time:

Webdisney (http://www.webdisney.com): Walt Disney World Inside
& Out
Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com): Disneyland
Inside & Out

I was sittin' in a crummy movie with my hands on my chin

pjbs35a
08-25-2000, 02:43 PM
Do you find it odd, that Spalash Mountain was created by Disney with the same story line as Song of the South and they folded to the politically correct issue when it came to the movie?

------------------
FIRST TRIP 1980 - LAST TRIP 2000 - NEXT TRIP - IN PLANNING STAGES

dpamac
08-25-2000, 02:55 PM
The issues with the film revolve around the live action portions. To my knowledge, no one has ever had a problem with the animated segments.

------------------
Gary(aka dpamac)
[email protected]
Webdisney and Intercot Staff

Visit Our Intercot Family Sites. All Disney, all the time:

Webdisney (http://www.webdisney.com): Walt Disney World Inside
& Out
Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com): Disneyland
Inside & Out

I was sittin' in a crummy movie with my hands on my chin

Jeff Handshaw 100+visits
08-25-2000, 07:05 PM
I remember when they re-released the film about 12 years ago, we thought it was a great film.
Wonder if they will consider reworking it so my daughter can see it and know who Brer Fox/Bear/Frog are. She has a Brer Frog, and has met Fox & Bear, and has ridden Splash Mtn twice...I like to tie all these things together with a movie.

------------------
I'd rather be at Walt Disney World :)
Planned/possible trips this year: 10/27-29,11/18-19,12/18-25
Days at WDW this year: (24) 3/24, 4/14-20, 4/29-30, 6/4-11, 7/14-15, 8/4-7
Days at WDW last year: 46
Total days @WDW >300

Dixie Springs
08-26-2000, 09:03 AM
Thanks dpamac for the info. I guess that settle's it. It is a shame, because I thought the film had alot to offer. I sometimes find it funny that a big corporate player like Disney cowers on issues like this one, and for example, actually changing the lyrics to the opening song in Aladdin after it was released. The entertainment community is constantly citing 'freedom of speech', particularly when it comes to artistic expression. Vulgarity, violence, etc., all fall under the sacred realm of 'art'. I find some products under the Disney umbrella (the other film companies) to be repulsive, but I just stick to the stuff I like. It's funny how some special interest groups weild the same power of censorship that they abhor.

------------------

DisneyHog
08-26-2000, 04:11 PM
It really just makes me mad that these jerks at these extremists groups like the NAACP (yes I belive that) can dictate what I get to see. So they have a problem with the content of Song of the South, then don't watch it and shut up. I want to own a copy of it, I want to watch it and enjoy it. Who are they to decide anything Disney puts out. I get so mad at this kind of stuff! http://www.intercot.com/boards/reallymad.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/reallymad.gif http://www.intercot.com/boards/reallymad.gif

------------------
-Dewey- I'm a Disney Hog and I wish I was in Disney World!
13 Trips 1985-2000
Next trip-Last weekend in Sept. (Hopefully)
Michaelene, Disney, and Razorback fanatic.
"In fact, better make it a SUPER-STRETCH..." -RnRC-

MinMin
08-27-2000, 11:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. Looks like I opened up a lively discussion. I agree that the movie should be released in the US. Disney has angered groups before, and got through it. SOTS was one of the first animated/live movies made, and that in itself makes it a classic.

Thanks again--i appreciate the info and enjoyed the discussions.

MinMin

------------------

ScroogeMcDuck
09-15-2000, 02:09 PM
I have seen clips of Brer fox and Rabbit on the Disney channel, I think during their "Disney Shorts," and D-TV I know plays the songs with the SOtS clip related to them. I mean with the way the characters talked you could tell that it was outrageously stereyotypical of the time.

$

------------------

HollyB
09-15-2000, 03:00 PM
You could always try Ebay. They have a bunch of the PAL versions up right now. Apparently certain (most likely high end) VCRs can play this format over here, so you might check your VCR instructions too.

Holly

------------------

JPL
09-16-2000, 02:16 AM
I agree that it should be released afterall the problems people had with the Little Rascals you can still get them on video. If you don't like what the movie is about simply don't buy it or watch it .

------------------
Jeff
"Remember it all started with a Mouse"
Special thanks to everyone for making the NJ Meet a sucess!

01DisneyBound
09-16-2000, 04:38 PM
I saw several copies on Yahoo auctions. They were running $30, and stated they were new.

------------------
šoš

KEVINKAL
09-17-2000, 09:48 PM
I purchased the video from eBay.com, and had it converted to NTSC format. I love the movie, and my nephews & nieces Love it even more. This movie has great moral undertone and it is an absolute crime that it isn't available. The hero of the movie is Uncle Remos, a very poor black sharecropper. The little rich white boy's best friend is a young black boy (also very poor). The mean kids are white & poor. The entire movie deals with people, and just how little wealth has to do with character. It just happens that it is set in a time and place where blacks in the south had not yet attained the economic or social status that they have now. It's reality, and true. But, the story itself is in no way racist or offensive to anyone. If anything, Uncle Remos teaches some valuable lessons to the "rich white parents". Kids who watch this movie see nothing but good vs bad and right vs wrong - and that one's color or wealth have nothing to do with either.

------------------