PDA

View Full Version : What to do the first day/night.

june05trip
05-12-2005, 03:11 PM
We are going to WDW the first week in June (4-10), plane lands at 2:27 PM, using the disney transportation, so not sure when we will get to our room (staying at Pop Century).

This is our first trip to WDW and for the most part our first real vacation. Will be myself, DW, DD (11) and DS (7).

Any ideas or suggestions on what to see that first day/night (a Sat), would like a special way to kick the whole thing off.

nell
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
We're arriving 2 weeks after you but a bit earlier in the day (10 am landing).

Give 2 hours from landing until you check in. This way you don't feel like you are rushed. So figure you'll be checked in around 5.

If you have the time on your ticket, I'd suggest EPCOT or MGM, as MK is busy on Saturdays according to Disney and AK closes early. If you can, stay for the show - Illuminations or Fantasmic. It's quite a good way to start the vacation.

If you don't have enough days on your ticket to use one for just an evening, the hotels are fun. We love doing the pool and arcades as a way to unwind and get into the "Vacation Mood".

One piece of advice - don't try to do EVERYTHING. It'll kill you. :eek: :D

Rekced
05-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Seeing Hoop Dee Doo review is a good way to start out the vacation. Or you could see Cirque Du Solei. A cheaper alternative would be go to go downtown disney for the night, which is what we often do.

If you go you could check out Goofy's candy shop and get some yummy Slushies. smile.gif

june05trip
05-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, we have the WYW 7 day with park hopper option, so i am pretty sure we could go to a park. I have a PS for the Fantasmic dinner package on Sunday. Epcot sounds good.

mdricks
05-12-2005, 03:44 PM
We are getting in on the 7th at much the same time. We got a PS at ohanas and are going to eat a nice dinner and watch the fireworks and water parade from the beach. That way we get a nice first night, get a good nights sleep and we are at the gates for opening of MK the next morning! :D

BluegrassDaisy
05-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Hello from a fellow Kentuckian. We like to visit Epcot's World showcase on our first evening. It is a bit more low key and has lots of good dining options. We usually leave Louisville at the crack of dawn and we have found that it is fun to stroll around the countries and leave Future World for another day when you will have more energy! We did this a couple of times when our kids were about the age of yours and it worked out well. Whatever you decide, have fun graemlins/mickey.gif

KylesMom
05-12-2005, 04:50 PM
We go with a completely different mindset - and hit the Magic Kingdom as soon as we are physically able to! Kicks our vacation off on a very magical note! graemlins/mickey.gif

crazypoohbear
05-12-2005, 06:02 PM
I would try Epcot and see Illuminations the first night, try MS, Figgy, Test track, get as many big rides done to get the feel. Have a great trip

pedro2112
05-13-2005, 12:15 AM
We went to the Epcot Resort area (Yacht/Beach Club and Boardwalk) the first evening and had a wonderful dinner and walked on the boardwalk.

motherhamv
05-13-2005, 09:36 AM
We love PC graemlins/clappy.gif

Since you have a day of "rushed" travel, I would suggest a relaxing evening at one of the pools. If you have enough energy, a surrey bike ride is always a fun thing to do. Enjoy your trip! graemlins/mickey.gif

Kendall0303
05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
We too like to hang out at the pool and then eat a nice dinner at our resort or one of the other Disney Resorts! Last trip we had dinner at Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was a great way to kick start our vacation!

Momof2boys
05-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Travel days can be very tiring & rushed. Last year we checked into our hotel around 3 and spent the afternoon exploring our resort, taking a monorail ride around the MK resorts & to EPCOT and back just so we could experience Disney. A swim in the pool, dinner and early to bed to get ready for the full days of being in the parks.

Erich32
05-13-2005, 11:50 AM
My family was first timers to disney,except for me DS 12, DD 8. We went to DD and saw the cir de solia show and walked around DD after the show. We had the cheap seats and my kids LOVED it. My DW and I thought the show was worth every penny.

E-OR
05-13-2005, 11:53 AM
We are a family that hits the ground running. Even though we normall don't get into Orlando until around 6 PM we head straight to the resort, check in, and then head to EPCOT to eat and watch Illuminations. On one trip we went to the Boardwalk and spent the evening as well. That was fun and more relaxing.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Since you probably won't get to your resort until later in the day, I wouldn't use a whole day's park ticket to go to a park for the evening. Unless you go for the extended hours. But since you are probably going to be tired from traveling, I wouldn't recommend that.
You could go soak in the atmosphere of Downtown Disney or the Boardwalk and grab a quick supper or a nicer one, depending on what's available.
Whatever you do, have fun.

HooksLeftHand
05-13-2005, 07:40 PM
We always take it easy the first day. Explore the hotel, maybe hit the pool, and then go to DTD for some shopping and dinner! It's nice to visit World of Disney early in the trip, so you don't need to spend as much time in the park gift shops.

Beast_fanatic
05-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by june05trip:
Thanks for the quick reply, we have the WYW 7 day with park hopper option, so i am pretty sure we could go to a park. I have a PS for the Fantasmic dinner package on Sunday. Epcot sounds good. If you have 7-day tickets with Park Hopping, and you're only going to be there 7 days, I would probably go to a park when you arrive unless you have (or intend to get) the no expiration option since the 7-days are only good for 14 days from your first use.

There are no evening Extra Magic Hours that day, so I would probably go to Epcot and wonder around World Showcase. If you plan to eat at a sit-down restaurant that evening, I would suggest making an Advanced Dining Reservation (Priority Seating) to insure you are seated where and when you want to be (particularly since it's a Saturday evening during the last weekend of the Flower & Garden festival).

Mary Poppins fan
05-14-2005, 09:12 AM
We usually check-in, get a snack (and refillable mugs) at our hotel, unpack, and then head over to Epcot for the evening. Illuminations and a great dinner are a wonderful way to start your vacation.

holbear
05-14-2005, 12:21 PM
We like to check in early (we drive over from Daytona beach so can get in whenever we want). The 'official' check in isn't until 3 pm, but the resorts will issue your tickets and store your luggage. We head straight for the Magic Kingdom. graemlins/clappy.gif I like to have dinner at our resort the first night.

OkieMom
05-14-2005, 03:31 PM
In September, we, too, will be visiting WDW for the first time. We should arrive mid-afternoon and plan to play mini-golf, get familiar with the different modes of transportation(especially the monorail) and check out DTD our first half-day there. We have MYW 7-day tickets with the dining plan and want to save the park tickets for full days. Have a great trip! graemlins/mickey.gif

PEDSNURSE
05-15-2005, 11:21 AM
we plan on getting settled (probably me doing the settling) DH to the pool with the kids and then going to MK for evening. our plane gets to MCO around 1030 so i figure we will get to resort by 1 or so. i think any way you go you can't be wrong. its vacation..... so enjoy!!! :cool: