PDA

View Full Version : Video Taping Your Trip

Fantasmicmagic
01-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Kind of an obscure question that I'm curious about as to whether I should bring my video camera along. I'm just wondering how many people video tape their trip in the parks. I want to but with all the stuff ie: backpack, water bottles, extra jackets, digital or 35mm camera etc... one has to carry into the parks and having to sort of remove oneself from the experience while taping,is it worth it? Or are digital or 35mm pictures enough? Just looking for points of view from people.

LovinWDW
01-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi,
On our trip last year I did take the video camera only because it was our daughters first trip to the World. I used it at least one day at each park, it wasn't easy having another item to lug around on top of the diaper bag, backpack, camera, stroller (get the idea). However, it was well worth it, and now along with the memories we have the video. My advice is take it, just don't kill yourself using it. Have fun!

SpecJoe Magic
01-09-2005, 06:44 PM
I say that video taping the trip is a near necessity. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy that works in the video taping for TV broadcast business. So, I'm partial to filming things. :D I do find that I enjoy watching old vacation videos. It brings back so many memories. Granted, I tend to want to video tape tons, but even video taping a little bit is better than none at all. It's worth the extra effort to carry the video camera in my opinion.

Jasper
01-09-2005, 06:46 PM
There was a time when you would not have seen me without my still or video camera. However, I did get tired of living my life through a viewfinder. Finally, we have come to a compromise, we normally take the camera along on our vacations, but we normally use it around the hotel, pool, etc. Anytime we have are going to a park or someplace we will be spending a long period of time we leave the camera at home.

The only exception to this practice is if it we know in advance that something special or unique is going to take place.

However, just like everything else, it is fine to gather opinions from all sorts of people on these message boards, but ultimately, you have to know what is important to you and your family. You mention that this is your child's first trip, I would tend to want to take the camera on a first time trip. But you have to know what is right for you and yours!

SamG
01-10-2005, 10:52 AM
The answer depends on what your vacation is for. If it's just you and your SO and you're looking for a relaxing, laid back vacation, I'd say don't bother.

However, if you are bringing kids, especially if its a first trip for them, I think you definately want the video. Still pictures don't always show the emotion of kids meeting their favorite characters. My 3 year old DD the first time she met Mickey exclaimed "It's Mickey!" with a big smile on her face. Fortunately, I was rolling at the time. graemlins/clappy.gif

If you want to cut down on what you bring into the parks, only bring one still camera (do you really need a digital AND a 35mm?)

BTW, SpecJoe Magic, what kind of broadcaster are you that you refer to "FILMING" things???? :D graemlins/rotfl.gif

Toughbug
01-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I could not imagine going to WDW with my two DC without the camcorder. I end up with about 3-4 hours of videotape for our five day trips. I like to tape us walking in the parks for the first time, talking to the kids after a ride or meeting the characters to get their reactions, tape attractions as permitted. It is a great way to relive all the memories we have made, plus when I patch the camcorder into the TV/VCR for the ride home it keeps them quiet.

Strmchsr
01-10-2005, 05:25 PM
We enjoyed taping all of the shows and rides where taping was allowed. Granted, reliving Big Thunder Mountain on DVD is not like the real thing, but it's fun to relive the moment, as are being able to watch the shows whenever we want. I'd say bring it along, at least for the shows.

JohnnyJayhawk
01-10-2005, 10:19 PM
I started bringing the video camera when I became a parent. My daughter loves watching the tapes we made at Disney. Is it a bit of a hassle? Of course...make sure the battery is charged, the spare battery too, have extra tapes, and so on. But, as others have responded, for me it is completely worth any trouble.

very_excited
01-11-2005, 08:28 AM
We were there in November - our first trip. We carried the camera around most of the time and taped what I thought at the time would be enough - because I too did not want to spend my first trip behind the viewfinder.

Well now that we are home, and we were just watching one of the tapes last evening, I now know that we did not tape nearly enough. I found myself "hungry" for more of the parks - for more of the atmosphere - for more, more, more! I told my wife that next time we go I think I would like to strap it to the side of me head and tape the entire day !! graemlins/rotfl.gif

Cookiedrop
01-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I just recently returned from my trip where I video taped it for the first time!

I thought long and hard about carying this camera around as I didn't want to take away from our experience. I found it easy to manuver. I made it easily accessible and whipped it out when the mood hit me. I didn't carry too much other items in my carry along bag so I didn't have to "fuss" with other items. I now have a great video of our vacation!

Beast_fanatic
01-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by very_excited:
I told my wife that next time we go I think I would like to strap it to the side of me head and tape the entire day !! graemlins/rotfl.gif How about a "helmet cam" like they sometimes use in sports? graemlins/laughing.gif