PDA

View Full Version : Finger scans and healthcare workers

Cinderelley
01-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm reading that we'll have to scan our fingerprints to get into the park. My problem is that I'm a nurse, and by the end of my workweek, I can't get my fingerprint to register on our Pyxis system. What if it doesn't register on the WDW system? Are there any other healthcare workers out there who have run into this?

Beast_fanatic
01-18-2005, 11:12 AM
It's not a fingerprint scan, it's a biometric scan (related to bone structure).

From what I've read, if it doesn't work, they'll likely just ask you for another form of ID to match to the signature on the ticket.

faline
01-18-2005, 11:59 AM
How well it works seems to vary from machine to machine and sometimes even park to park. Like Rhonda said, if there's any question, they'll ask for another form of identification and let you in the park.

jefmblrd
01-18-2005, 01:30 PM
That's correct; if it doesn't work just make sure that you have a photo ID with you, and you'll be fine.

2NfinitE&B-ond
01-18-2005, 01:36 PM
I had a problem with my scan at MK...it never worked...at one point they tried to re-do it. THey just asked for a picture id, and off we would go. Also, my kids have APs, and they never had to try the scan, in fact, they rode through each entrance in a stroller!

Shouldn't be a problem unless you forget your id!!

Flower
01-18-2005, 06:50 PM
I found the newer machines were much better than the old ones, and not very different at all!

I always had a problem with the old machines and kept my ID handy - I never had to use it once this past trip!

RNTinkFan
01-19-2005, 12:43 PM
You may not experience the same issues at WDW as you do at work though. Mine tends to work less toward the end of a shift and I have a theory that it has to do with how dry our hands get at work. So, it may not be a problem at WDW for you as you shouldn't be washing your hands or using an alcohol based foam (like prevacair) there. At least not quite as often.

threeh
01-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Cinderelley:
. My problem is that I'm a nurse, and by the end of my workweek, I can't get my fingerprint to register on our Pyxis system. ok, now that's funny because i can NEVER get into pyxis, it always wants me to reset my bio whoose e whats. and i thought it was only me...
you gave me a good chuckle!!

tracy

Marilyn Michetti
01-20-2005, 06:23 AM
It doesn't often work for me because I have an agressive arthritis in my hands, and by the time we went the second time on our AP's, my fingers were a little different. Since I ride through in a scooter, they just put my ticket in for me, and away I go.

Cinderelley
01-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Tracy, I'm glad I'm not the only one. There are sooooo many times I just want to throw the whole Pyxis out the window!

Lauri, I agree with you about the dry hand thing. My concern is that I'll be working up until we leave. I was just worried that when I first get there, I won't have any fingerprint. Then it'll change as my skin repairs itself. It's also the latex gloves. My DH recently went to get fingerprinted and the guy who did it said that healthcare workers are horrible because of the latex gloves.

I'll make sure to bring my ID the first day, like everyone suggested. If I don't need it, great! If I do, I'll have it. Thanks everyone.

RNTinkFan
01-20-2005, 11:07 AM
There are so many staff members on our unit that have trouble with the latex gloves, and with our increasing number of latex allergy pts, our manager has started stocking non-latex gloves in every room. It has helped a lot, they are especially nice in winter when it is super dry anyway. No more icky rashes, yeah. Maybe you could use the Pyxis problem as a reason for them to supply them, it does help a little. And I'm sure you already know, but lotion lotion lotion. :D Good luck and have fun.

Beast_fanatic
01-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Let me reiterate, the scanners at WDW are NOT fingerprint scanners. They are biometric scanners and look at your bone structure, not your fingerprints.

stitchfan97
01-22-2005, 01:21 AM
I have been an AP holder for two years now and I have never had any trouble using the biometric scanners.

joelkfla
01-23-2005, 12:38 PM
As Rhonda said, they measure something to do with the geometry of your knuckles, so the condition of your skin should have no effect.