PDA

View Full Version : Do you use traveler's checks, checks, credit??

katzeyezbeme
02-04-2005, 10:37 AM
We leave next Sunday for WDW...yipee!! What do you think is the best....simply using cash, traveler's checks or a credit card? I will be bringing my credit/debit card just in case, but I'd rather not use it for everything.

Another thing I'm wondering it....How do you carry your money? I will be carrying a backpack and have a wallet that clips to the inside of one of the pockets, so I won't accidently leave it somewhere and no one will be able to grab it out. Plus, I'll have tons of pockets for everything else we'll need.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

faberj
02-04-2005, 10:45 AM
I always get travelers checks when I travel and then have $50.00 to $100.00 in cash between the two of us. We also take the debit card and each have a credit card for just in case.
Travelers checks are the best way to go for the majority of your money, because if they get stolen or get lost you always get your money back. Just be sure to keep the recipts for the travelers checks in a safe place while you are in route and then keep them in the safe at your hotel.
Hope this helps!
Have a wonderful trip!!
:D

faline
02-04-2005, 10:53 AM
I also take travelers' checks. I might start my trip with $100 or so in cash (and usually quite a few $1 bills for tips at the airport, resort etc.).

On vacation, I generally use some combination of travelers checks and our credit card.

Generally, we get the travelers checks for two so either my husband or I can sign them. We split up the checks. I carry some and he carries some.

Munch
02-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Travelers checks are safest. Are you staying onsite? If so you can avoid carrying a lot of money around w/ you. Your room keycard can also be used to make purchases pretty much anywere w/in WDW. (probably a few exceptions but I can't think of them off hand). Then you can settle up w/ the front desk at the end of your trip by using the travelers checks and/or credit card.

Beast_fanatic
02-04-2005, 11:01 AM
We use credit and a small amount of cash. We put our credit card against our room key and use that primarily. We normally take a total of about $200 in cash which we leave the bulk of locked in the safe in our room.

katzeyezbeme
02-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Do the food stands take traveler's checks? What amount increments do they come in? Do you think my bank would cash any left over ones? (Boy, I'm full of questions!!) graemlins/silly.gif

katzeyezbeme
02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
We're staying off-site. I'm not sure if they have a safe or not in the room. I'd almost rather just keep everything with me. Does it cost anything to get the traveler's checks?

faberj
02-04-2005, 11:25 AM
I do not see why you could not use them at a food stand. Traveler's checks are the same as if you were using cash.

I have gotten them in $20's, $50's, and $100's. They do come in sets, for example $200.00 of $50.00 travelers checks.

It depends on your financial institution if they will charge you or not for them. Mine does not, but I know others do and it is a percentage of how much you get in travelers checks.

faline
02-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Your bank will cash leftover travelers' checks. Usually, I just save any leftover checks for our next trip.

My credit union doesn't charge for the purchase of travelers checks but many banks do charge.

Sander
02-04-2005, 11:39 AM
If you have AAA you can get travelers checks there for free.

I normally start out with $100 in cash and the rest in travelers checks.

[ February 04, 2005, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Sander ]

faline
02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
While AAA doesn't charge for travelers checks, they limit the amount you can get for no charge. Generally, this doesn't meet our needs.

Minnie Meshoe
02-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Always travellers checks with a small amount of cash. I have never been turned away from using a travellers check from anywhere.