PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a cold

Stallion
03-07-2005, 08:52 AM
My Disney vacation starts this Saturday but I feel a cold coming on, was wondering how bad it is to fly with a cold? I'm taking as much over the counter medication as I can to prevent it but it will probably hit me within the next couple of days.

Thanks!
Steve

Kags1200
03-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi Sorry to hear you're getting sick, try zinc lozenge's & lots of Vit C
Works for me Have a great time
K

HannahOr18
03-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Hello! On my last trip to Disney I got a headcold while I was there. I got on the plane without taking any decongestant. It was a very bad idea. My ear drums almost burst. I was in quite a bit of pain. :( If I were you, I would nurse that cold now and take a decongestant (whether you feel congested or not) before you step on that plane. Try Sudafed or Claritin D 12 hour. Have fun and enjoy yourself!

DVC2004
03-07-2005, 11:38 AM
I second the decongestant suggestion! In October I flew to WDW and was suffering from a sinus infection. My ears became blocked after the flight and remained blocked for 6 weeks! It was painful, too. I had fluid in my ears and had to take antibiotics and decongestants for several weeks. The doctor said they would have to put tubes in my ears if they didn't clear up. Luckily they did. I was told to take Sudafed before the flight, you might want to start now, so the swelling will go down. You should be fine if you do this. Hope you feel better and have a great trip!

faline
03-07-2005, 11:46 AM
I've flown with a cold before and it can be quite painful.

Make sure you take that decongestant before your flight!

dra_rosie_k
03-07-2005, 02:12 PM
I recommend nasal spray just before takeoff and landing. This really can help relieve some of the pressure. My mom uses it even when she does not have a cold as she gets earaches whenever she flies and it works for her.

aunsen
03-07-2005, 02:19 PM
I suggest the Airborne stuff that is out. It is like alcaselzer (spelling ?) but it was developed by a teacher and it really does help you get over or prevent a cold. I speak from personal experience! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MargaretMessler
03-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I have VERY bad problems with my ears/sinuses and flying. After a rather painful (and kind of scary) first flight experience, I went to my doctor who advised me to take a 12 hour sudafed, start taking it 2 days or so before flying, and up until the day of. It's worked every time.

Stallion
03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm on Sudafed Max Strength, and taking Cold-Eze. I bought Afrin for the plane ride. All I have right now is a minor sore throat on one side so I'm hoping this won't turn into much. I can't get sick for my Disney vacation!! 4 days!!

Thanks again!
Steve

wifey5794
03-08-2005, 09:49 AM
I'd have to say if it were me I would be at the closest Med First or "Doc in the Box" as the kids call them to make sure you don't have strep and if it would be a sinus infection receive a good dose of antibiotics.
I had a trip once where it was just a cold and went from my throat to my ears and had to rent a car and drive home to Missouri from North Carolina!

Better safe than sorry! graemlins/nono.gif :(

Buddha
03-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Can I sugguest Ear Planes, they reduce pressure and this may help if your overally stuffed up and it backs into the tubes of the ear. I've taken Claritan-D. I know you may not have an allergy, but the D portion contains a high amount of Pseudoephedrine. I wouldn't drink much coffee though, you'll get the shakes.
And hey just imagine that even if you didn't have a cold getting on the plane you'll most likely have one from being on the plane with it dirty circulated air. I've actually seen people wear masks on the plane, so they are not breathing in the dirty air. Good luck I hope you feel better. My wife had a sinus infection one year when we went down. Bad trip very bad.

Dave

disneynarula
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
I would try a nasal spray right before you take off.

ohiokel
03-08-2005, 09:17 PM
I second the thought of going to the doctor before you go "just to make sure" you don't have anything that will ruin your trip. They may want to start you on a prescription nasal spray, like flonase or nasonex, for you to use the whole time you are there. I had one of the worst ear infections EVER after flying, when I forgot to take sudaphed and had a slight cold. Hope your trip goes well!