PDA

View Full Version : Edzter86’s Disney Dream Vacation -- Trip Report – Day 4

Edzter86
03-07-2003, 09:03 PM
Note—I apologize for this report being so late. Back-to-school has really stressed me out this week, and my time on Intercot has been extremely limited. Enjoy nonetheless. smile.gif

Edzter86’s Disney Dream Vacation -- Trip Report – Day 4

Cast of Characters

Ed -–Dad-Advisor on Financial Matters
Chris --Mom is into the activities beyond the mouse-has the “been there, done that attitude”
Eddy –- Edzter86--(16) (Me!)--Disney Vacation Commander
David –- Brother--(13)—Likes the technical aspect of Disney

Monday February 24th, 2003
Disney’s Behind the Magic of Our Steam Train Tour

Wow it was early this morning. We had a 5:45 wake-up call. Again, like days past, I was up and out of bed within 10 seconds. When at Disney, I have a motive to get up early. :D I shower, and when I’m done, everyone else is up. They know they need to get ready, because we have our Steam Train Tour reservations at 7:30 this morning.

We leave the room and head for breakfast. I had the croissant sandwich again. Yum. Not bad for a cafeteria food-court. ;) We were at the bus stop at 6:55 to be sure we caught the first bus to Magic Kingdom. The bus arrived at 7:15 and went straight to the Magic Kingdom. It was also labeled Magic Kingdom, not Special, or Character Breakfast Bus. The driver said there would be several more buses till 8, when regular bus service would start.

We arrived at Magic Kingdom and checked-in right at 7:30 and met Jim McCloon, our tour guide for today. We had some time to spare; the tour didn’t begin till 7:45, though they say to arrive at 7:30. We posed for a picture in front of the Train Station with the 100 Years of Magic, and Magic Kingdom signs, as well as the train we would ride in the background. You can see that picture by checking out my Webshots account.

We were all presented with ID cards that had our names, and the Train Tour Logo on them. We proceeded up to the train station, but first popping in to see Main Street completely deserted except for service vehicles. Jim pointed out some very specific details about Main Street no one could possible realize on their own. There are electric lights in Town Square, as this quiet town is on the verge of progress, but still has gas lamps up Main Street.

The Lilly Belle locomotive engine was waiting for us. Another railroad cast member, Barbra, pulled me aside, and told me I was going to call “All Aboard!” To do this, I had to flip a buzzer switch 3 times simultaneously as shouting “All Aboard” and raising my arm up high and bringing it down in a swift motion. All 3 procedures are done for safety. David and I get to ride in the very back of the train with Barbra. She points out little cast member hints to us. For example, the access road in Adventureland as well as Frontierland is used for the parades and also the hidden Mickey cloud in Splash Mountain.

We pulled into the Toontown Station and David was selected to help throw the switch to switch us to the back line to bring us backstage. There’s some pictures of David throwing the switch at Webshots as well.

Oh, while I remember. You are allowed to bring cameras and video cameras with you. After September 11, cameras were not allowed at all, but the rules have been modified since then. You are only allowed to take pictures though while “on stage.” Once we traveled backstage, we could not take pictures, and the camera/film would be destroyed if we did.

So, we backed up, and Barbra showed us the crossing, and all the cast members hurry to get to work on-time. She said some get pretty annoyed on “Train Tour Days,” as the train takes several minutes to pass over the crossing. We back up into the roundhouse. We can’t get off inside the roundhouse because of safety hazards. The train then pulls forward out of the roundhouse (which is actually not round at all. It’s a rectangular building, and also houses the monorails.) We are able to disembark. The Lilly Belle then leaves us, as it needs to stop in Toontown and pick up Mickey and the gang to prepare for the new opening show at the entrance of the park. We learned that the Liberty Belle engine and cars are considered the “Show Train.” That is the only train used for the new opening show because the guard rails on the left hand side of the cars were removed so the characters could get off. If crowds pick up, and the train needs to be used by guests, they must reattach these safety bars. We also learn that at the time, the Roger Broggie engine is in for repairs.

We separated into groups of 5, and each group got a chance to get “up close and personal” with the engine itself. We got to sit in the engineer and fire man’s seats. Jim pointed out all the controls—Very, very cool! I’d love to drive one of these things! :D

We then boarded the Walter E. Disney train and proceeded back onstage to Toontown again. We were allowed to take pictures again. The crew filled the water from the actual working water tower at the station. Jim and the crew also demonstrated several safety checks to us: running a red signal, water pressure, and other similar precautions. We were able to disembark and take pictures really close to the locomotive.

We then re-boarded and finished the circle and arrived in Main Street, the first train of the day. :D We then went downstairs and finished the tour with a history of Walt and his love for trains. Jim left us with the quote,

"It was all started by a mouse, who was born on a train." (See the new addition to my signature. ;)

My Thoughts on the Tour: Amazing. Outstanding. Well-worth every penny. For only $30 something dollars, this tour is definitely worth it. Also, its one of the only tours families can do together. Most other Behind the Scenes Tours have an age requirement of 16+. The Train Tour’s in only 10. Jim was fully knowledgeable and a great cast member. I actually told him I’m interested in some sort of job with Disney, and he said to write him, and he’d send me a referral card! :eek: graemlins/notworthy.gif I thanked him, and finished writing that letter yesterday.

[ March 07, 2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Edzter86 ]

Edzter86
03-07-2003, 09:04 PM
A World of Discovery

Train tour complete, we exited the Magic Kingdom and proceeded to Epcot. Since everyone was arriving at the Magic Kingdom, the express monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center was empty. I asked to sit in the cab-request granted! How cool! What a great experience. I’d love to drive one of these too! ;)

We switched monorails and headed into Epcot. After entering, it was decided we should obtain Fast Passes for Test Track. I did so, and we proceeded to Universe of Energy. It was closed for the time being-apparently they were having mechanical problems. We headed back to Spaceship Earth. This is one of the quickest loading rides at WDW, and we were seated right away. It’s a good ride, but best to do later in the day, when the lines have died down. After exiting, we saw a sign saying Energy was open. However after heading back there, we were told otherwise. Dad told the head lady there who was in charge the board says they were open. She said they would get that fixed right away, and for our inconvenience she issued us VIP passes for Test Track—Awesome!! We used them right away. We sure felt like Very Important People. Lol.

We used our Fast Passes afterwards for 2 rides in a row. ;) After Test Track, Universe of Energy was finally open. I’m glad we got to see this-Ellen is a joker. And with the talk of turning this into a Monsters Inc attraction, I’m glad I got to see this one last time.

With all the walking we did on this side of the park, we sure got to see Mission Space a lot. The boards are down and landscaping is finished. It looks awesome. I told mom about it, and she seemed very interested. (I think Mom wanted to be an astronaut.) I told her next time, and she said “definitely.”

We had a 1:30 priority seating for Le Cellier in Canada. We were running 10 minutes late. We checked in without a problem though. They weren’t busy at all. Thanks to all who recommended this place. I loved it. Everyone else enjoyed it as well. The atmosphere is nice and staff friendly. Mom and I ordered the Le Cellier burger with fries. It was hot and tasty. Dave had the Ruben Sandwich with fries, which I think was good, because he finished it all. Dad had the Toronto Chicken Sandwich with potato salad. He said the salad was different yet good! We’ll definitely be returning here. We stopped in to see the Canada movie as well. I really liked it. I love the Canada song they sing at the end.

We decided a quick stop at the Imagination Institute deemed appropriate before heading over to World Showcase. Honey I Shrunk the Audience was a bit loud. I thought it was ok, but everyone else seemed to really enjoy it. Oh well-go with the flow. ;) We checked out the new Figment ride as well. I thought it kind of silly, but its good to see Figment back.

Edzter86
03-07-2003, 09:05 PM
A Trip Around the World

And so our world adventure began. We walked through the United Kingdom. Off Kilter had just finished performing. Shoot. For some reason, Dad didn’t want to see the France movie, so we moved on. Mom found a shop in Morocco, so the guys got sodas and a bench while Mom browsed. After returning empty handed, we moved on. We skipped ahead to Germany to be sure we saw the train layout. Dad is the major train fan in the family. He was in heaven. We have a similar train setup in our backyard. He had his moments of glory, before we traced back to Italy and the USA. We caught a glimpse of the flag recovered from the World Trade Center. I’m really glad we got to see this. It was a really somber moment.

The Fife n’ Drum Corp was just about to begin. They were great. We then turned around and listened to the Voices of Liberty. These singers were fantastic. We all joined in on “God Bless the USA.” We then went into the show at the American Adventure. I hadn’t seen this in years and thought it was very patriotic, especially the finish. When we exited, the 6:20 Tapestry of Dreams parade had started. It was still light out, and we like this parade better at night, so we hurried ahead past Germany to Norway and rode Malestrom without a wait. We then moved on and saw the Chinese Acrobats. These guys are amazing!

We headed into Mexico to catch the boat ride. I wanted to spend some time here and practice my Spanish. After the ride, we browsed the shops. Then we headed outside to the Cantina de San Angel. I ordered dinner. En Español of course! ;)

We brought dinner back to a bench in Germany and waited for the parade. Again, great seats. We had a bench to sit down on, just like at the Studios, with no one in front of us. The second parade started at Germany and finished in Morocco. It was the final days of Tapestry of Dreams, and I’m really glad we were able to watch one of the last performances. We all loved the parade. The music, floats, colors, drums; everything was wonderful. I really hope something just as inspiring takes its place, or even Tapestry of Nations returns.

We then went out to the railing on the World Showcase Lagoon to wait for Illuminations. It was a good wait, seeing as though Tapestry of Dreams finished around 8:10. We passed the time just taking in the atmosphere around us. Its not everyday you see the countries of the world presented together right before your very eyes.

Illuminations started, still with the GE sponsorship intros. Mom though Illuminations was the best thing she’d seen. I was happy with that. A must see at Epcot.

Getting back to the All Stars wasn’t as bad tonight. We joined the massive crowd exit, and went back to the resort. Not thinking, I dialed in a wake up call for 5:45. It didn’t occur to me that we didn’t need to eat breakfast before leaving the resort. 6:30 would have been better. Mom objected to getting up, and it was decided just the guys would have breakfast with Pooh the next morning.

This should be interesting. :D

Highlights: The Train Tour was definitely worth it. I’d recommend it to all my Intercot friends, even if you’re not a train fan. It’s a very fascinating and informative tour for everyone.

Le Cellier was also excellent. Another positive priority seating choice.

Tapestry of Dreams and Illuminations capped off a great day at Epcot.

Disappointments: You really need at least 2 days to see Epcot fully. My only regret is not seeing more. But, that’s what next time is for.

Tomorrow: Breakfast with Pooh, a Day of Fantasy at the Magic Kingdom, and E-Ride Night Fun!!

[ March 07, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Edzter86 ]

MauiMouse
03-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Your description of the Train Tour does sounds like a great time. I went on a Tour at Epcot and fully enjoyed it as well, might just have to consider doing the Steam Train Tour. Plus the perk of having MK all to yourself for at least a little while.

Looks like you had a great day, rather long, but a great day nonetheless. I also have to agree that at least 2 days for Epcot.

Your pictures aren't showing up yet, did you just upload them to Webshots? I know it takes 30 minutes to update. I am interested in seeing your Steam Train pictures. graemlins/mickey.gif

Edzter86
03-07-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by MauiMouse:

Your pictures aren't showing up yet, did you just upload them to Webshots? I know it takes 30 minutes to update. I am interested in seeing your Steam Train pictures. graemlins/mickey.gif I'm still scanning them into the computer. I hope by tomorrow I'll have some pictures up. ;)

Jared
03-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Eddy, I had one massive problem with this report. You waited so long to write it! ;)

Sounds like another amazing day. I feel like I'm right there with you, and quite frankly, I wish I was. Too bad that you weren't able to totally see Epcot though.

Can't wait for the next day! :D

MauiMouse
03-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Edzter86:
I'm still scanning them into the computer. I hope by tomorrow I'll have some pictures up. Excellent, love to see everyone pictures, really gives me that haven't been there in a while feeling go away. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks Eddy

Goodwife
03-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Eddy, thanks so much for the great reports!
It helps those of us with the "haven't been there, or done that in a while" attitude.
I look forward to the rest...that pesky school work taking time away... :D

DW88
03-08-2003, 03:53 PM
I love your reports and pictures, Eddy! graemlins/mickey.gif :thumbsup:I can understand how you had alot of schoolwork after a long WDW trip. Glad you had a fun experience with the train tour. Thanks! smile.gif

imported_Melanears
03-08-2003, 04:35 PM
Eddy, what a great day! smile.gif The tour sounded wonderful and then a fun day at Epcot. I'm really enjoying your reports. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

dmick
03-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Great report! In your earlier reports you had mentioned as far as mom was concerned this could be the last trip. Sounds like that is changing now. graemlins/clappy.gif

I think it is cool that your considering working for WDW. Be sure to check about working for a semester when you are in college. Many schools give credit hours for this experience. My cousin went through the program & loved it graemlins/thumbsup.gif

faline
03-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Terrific report, Eddy!

The train tour sounds terrific! Thanks for all the information about it. I think I'll have to put that on my "to do" list for a future trip!

It's always so much fun to be able to ride in the front of the monorail!

Overall, it sounds as though you had a terrific day!

LottaLubes
03-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Wow~another jammed packed day! I lose my energy just reading your reports! smile.gif That's too bad about the pictures/video. My husband and oldest took the tour November 2001 and they were allowed to take picture and video. In fact it was encouraged when we received our confirmation phone call about the tour.

I'm also going to check out your pictures when they are up! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MauiMouse
03-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Yeah graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif Pictures.

Great pictures Eddy, I like the photo of you and your family waiting for Fantasmic. Also the photos of the All-Stars. Thanks for sharing. graemlins/mickey.gif

Beast_fanatic
03-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Eddy! You've got to get your priorities straight! I mean, I understand you putting school work first graemlins/thumbsup.gif but, you wrote asking for your referral letter before you finished your trip reports? graemlins/nono.gif What are we going to do with you? :rolleyes:

Just kidding! ;) tongue.gif

Loved your description of the train tour - just wish I could talk my Dad into going to WDW even if just for that tour!

I was disappointed that no one in your group tried the cheese soup at Le Cellier (it was fantastic!), but glad everyone enjoyed!

Looking forward to the rest! :D

Jeff
03-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Great report Eddy. Thanks. I've just got to try Le Cellier next time.

ChipDale
03-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Eddy, I'm so glad you enjoyed the Train Tour! We loved it too - sounds like you had the same experience that we did. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Your day at Epcot sounds perfect! Thanks for another great report. graemlins/mickey.gif

Dopeysfriend
03-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Thanks for another excellent & informative report, Eddy! graemlins/mickey.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed the tour so much. It sounds fantastic! I may have to add that to my wish list for my next trip. smile.gif

SpecJoe Magic
03-10-2003, 03:04 PM
I am a big train fan and so is my Dad. I'm sure we would love it. Thanks for reporting on it. Sounds great! graemlins/thumbsup.gif Also, I had been wondering about Le Cellier. Your positive review of it makes me think that we should give it a try. smile.gif Another great, full day! graemlins/mickey.gif

Sportster
03-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Tsk, tsk, tsk...we've been waiting for this report! Just kidding, I can understand getting back into the "groove". School does come first!

Great report! The train tour sounds awesome and well worth the money. I'll have to look into that next time down. Riding in the front of the monorail is a great experience too!
I love WS...the train setup in Germany, Chinese acrobats, Japanese drummers etc. Thanks for the descriptive reports and taking me back to where I want to be...in WDW!
Great pic's, can't wait to see the Train tour!