PDA

View Full Version : Bug spray???

MrsB
03-21-2005, 08:55 PM
What is your experience with "bugs" in WDW?? Are some locations more prone to mosquitos than others?? I have seen "bug spray" on many "what to bring to WDW" packing lists. I don't ever recall having a problem with bugs on previous trips.

PirateLover
03-21-2005, 09:30 PM
a few years back i used to go on the beach at Poly every night....and every night i would come back with tons of little bites all over my legs! However, no one else got them, we think they were attracted to my vanilla lotion. But that is the only bad bug experience i have had

dvc4us4
03-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Ya know, now that you mention it, I do not recall ever having a problem with bugs at Disney! smile.gif

Beast_fanatic
03-21-2005, 09:59 PM
In general, Disney does a very good job controlling insects. However, last year after all the hurricanes, there were definitely some problems with bugs. I haven't heard any reports for awhile, so I would think they may have them back under control.

I'm sure someone that's been there recently will chime in soon with more information.

faline
03-22-2005, 07:31 AM
We were there in September and December of last year. In September, we were there between hurricanes and didn't have notice too many bugs. I've very prone to misquito bites but it wasn't a problem. In December, it was probably too cold for the misquitoes to be out much (Yes, it was that cold in Florida!).

brownie
03-22-2005, 09:31 AM
We've never had to use bug dope at WDW. They do a very good job of controlling the bugs. You might want to bring it, but I don't think you'll have to use it.

RazdOnDis
03-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Except for flies I've never really been bothered by insects at WDW. Last May we were at MGM and I noticed that there were all these tiny flying black bugs. They didn't bite or sting but if you accidentally smashed one it left a nice little stain. I only noticed them back near MV3D and Star Tours. They seemed to be thick in the shrubs.

2tinkerbellsmom
03-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Well I guess were the only ones but we have had problems w/ mosquitos before. I didn't notice it as much until last April when we visited and then again in Nov. I ALWAYS take the bug spray and use it lightly (my daughters are allergic to everything, and the oldest will develop HUGE soars if she gets bit) I use it on myself lightly also just so I don't get bit. I keep in mind that Disney was built on basically wet land so they can do a great job of keeping the pests away but there still there!

TheMartellFamily
03-22-2005, 02:42 PM
we usually stay at Ft Wilderness and they have bugs there and would recommend having it if you stay there. we have stayed elsewhere on site and not a bite anywhere else at any of the resorts. so the short of it is Ft Wilderness yes anywhere else no. if it concerns yo then I would get a bugspray/ sunlotion combined so you only need to bring one.

DisneyCrazyET
03-22-2005, 03:39 PM
We were ther last June and I usually use bug spray, but didn't this trip. I got mosquito bites all over my legs. This was at AK. I will take bug spray this time.
Maybe it was the frozen banana I ate. graemlins/shakehead.gif

tyandskyesmom
03-23-2005, 01:22 PM
In October we saw tons of mosquitos (mostly near splash mountain but we usually go end of November or early December and have never had a problem...although there is always a paper on bugs in the room when we arrive...

GoingToWonderland
03-23-2005, 04:33 PM
I never thought of mosquitos at WDW until I read your post. We have never encountered any! Geez, maybe that's why the nights are so magical at Disney??? graemlins/silly.gif

mn_gal
03-25-2005, 09:36 AM
We have never had any problems at wdw.

DizNut42
03-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Our first trip with the kids (1990), we took bug repellent (Deet) and used it - mainly due to quite a few cases of Encephalitis in FL due to mosquitos. I don't recall encountering any though

We have never taken it since.

We've stayed quite a few times at FW and never had an issue with bugs there either other than perhaps an occasional bite or two.

aldebkate
03-27-2005, 02:59 PM
I still have a mark on my leg from a nasty bug bite while at POR. This trip I'am going to try thr Cutter wipes. I dont want to take any spray cans so I thought the wipes may work out to put in my fanny pack.

pedro2112
03-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Just got back from a week at WDW and we packed bug spray but never needed to use it. No problems whatsoever.

KylesMom
03-27-2005, 11:27 PM
The only problem we had involving bugs (mosquitos) was while viewing the water pageant at the Fort Wilderness beach. In fact, my DH told me to take bug spray off the list this year since we always take it & never end up using it. Since we're flying instead of driving, every little item we can cross off the list helps! graemlins/mickey.gif