PDA

View Full Version : to make park plans or go w/the flow

Jen0610
03-25-2005, 07:59 AM
As first time vistors and having no clues as to what we are doing, I have been looking at a lot of the messages and actually getting a lot of really good ideas, especially what to odd things to pack.

But, my DH is telling me I'm nuts and making the taking of this vacation much harder than I need to. He has not looked at any of the info I have printed out. Took him forever to look at the MYW resort info just to pick out a package, settled on POR. His logic of thinking is that we are there from 8/13 (arriving @ 3:00 pm) to 8/20 (leaving @ 3:00 pm), that we will have plenty of time to get to all of the parks. We have the park hopper, but we are not doing the water parks. DH and I aren't much into swimming and w/the nicer pools at POR and POFQ, the kids will not miss out. DD is 8 and DS is 10. They both liked the look of the POR resort, from the MYW video.

There are only two items that we (really I) want to make sure we do. Dining w/Cindy for my DD and another dining w/Characters, but not sure what one.

Any and all suggestions, in planning are greatly appreciated.

diz#1fan
03-25-2005, 08:03 AM
i have to tell you that my DH was the same way. BUT after all my hard work in planning our trips and doing PS, as soon as we got there he always asked me "what's next?" he wanted this planned out also, graemlins/crazy.gif he just wouldn't admit it, and he liked knowing when we were doing what. So plan away and your whole family will be pleased with your decisions (and maybe a couple surprises)

Katzateer
03-25-2005, 08:14 AM
I always plan our trip-looking at hours at the parks each day (early entry and later hours now on some nights) and planning at least one PS a day.

Then when we get to WDW we just take it easy. I know we have our days planned if that is what we want to do. If not, I cancel that days' PS and we do whatever we want. It takes the pressure off while we are at WDW because I don't have to think of where everyone wants to eat or what they want to do.

Before the trip I have the kids and my husband write down what they HAVE to see at each park and where they really want to eat. Then I have them write down where they would like to eat and go, if we have time. I make sure the top list gets done each trip and sometimes we get to do part of the 2nd list.

Have a great trip!

dizfanforever
03-25-2005, 09:03 AM
As far as I'm concerned, planning a Disney vacation is absolute FUN...not work! What better way to get pumped up for the trip? :D
I agree with Katzateer, one thing I definitely plan is which park(s) we will be visiting on which day. For example, I wouldn't want to miss Spectromagic...and since it is only performed on certain evenings, I make sure I'll be in MK to see it. And it is great idea to get one "must see" at each park from each of your family members and make sure you see those few things before you do anything else. I do this every trip and everyone appreciates being able to do their favorite. (I'd cry if I went to the MK and didn't get to ride Splash Mountain! graemlins/shakehead.gif )
I also plan about one PS per day, but go with the attitude, "if we end up cancelling, no big deal."
As far as character dining goes, I try to take one day off from the parks during a 7 day visit. That is usually when I schedule a late character breakfast or character dinner. That way we are still getting a bit of the magic that day, but have the chance to sleep in, relax by the pool, etc. Since we don't go to a park that day, our character meal choices are limited to ones in the resorts. We like Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. Next trip we might try 1900 Park Fair at the GF. We've also done dinner at 'Ohana at the Poly and Boma at AKL on our "rest" days. No characters at either place, but we loved both. I try to find restaurants that my boys (7 and 4) will enjoy. At 'Ohana, the food was yummy and the boys got to participate in a coconut race. We went to the AKL a bit early and got to see the animals on the savannah before dinner.
Hope this helps. I am excited for you. I will never forget our family's first trip to Disney! Have a wonderful time planning your trip and then experiencing "the most magical place on Earth"! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

faline
03-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I've gone with and without specific plans. However, I've been to Disney World many times. Missing something on one trip is okay because we'll do it the next time.

Because this is your first visit, I'd suggest having a plan. Your plan need not (and shouldn't be) minute by minute. It is, after all, your vacation and you want to enjoy it - not be locked into a strict schedule.

I do suggest having a plan for which parks you are going to visit on which days - taking into account things like the Extra Magic Hours program; parades; or other events you want to be sure you see. Within each park, you should have a list of must-dos - which rides and attractions do each member of your family want to be sure they get to do. Once you knock those off, you can spend the rest of the time, taking in whatever else interests you. Lastly, I'd suggest you have a plan for your must-do dining and make priority seatings for those things. Many of the popular dining opportunties book up very quickly (such as dining with Cinderella) so you need to be sure you've booked these things as soon as your window of opportunity opens up.

Besides, planning for a Disney trip is half the fun of going on a Disney trip!

Googlie Bear
03-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I recommend you do plenty of planning and research, but dont necessarily have an itinerary. At least, the family doesnt have to KNOW you have an itinerary. Its really helpful to have a paper in your pocket to remind you what the most crowded days will be for each park, and the days of special events, parades etc, so you can easily make changes to your "schedule". You should also prepare a short list of must-sees so you dont get home and say, "Dinosaur? What was that? We missed it?!?!"

So each morning during your trip, you can make suggestions to steer the family in the right direction. Like, "C'mon, lets go to MGM this morning for extra magic hour!" or "Hey, we'd better do MK tonight, because its our last chance to see Specro."

You can also "surprise" the family with plans for a character meal, or anything that might require advance reservations.

Sorry theyre not enthusiastic about helping you plan. Thats why you have US!!!

anneb
03-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I do think you should plan what park to be in which days - (based on things like their hours, Spectromagic, etc.,) or at least most nights - so you can have PSs and not miss great things. And it's important to know which things at each park are most important to you, and plan around that - especially with shows or other things that need fast passes. And it's important to know when to do certain things - like Fantasyland first thing in the am at MK, NOT in the afternoon,when everything is crowded with long waits. But leave some flexibility - for a stay that long leave a few days unscheduled, so your family can add time at the places they like best. Scope out the menus in advance, so you'll know what places have things you and all your family members will like - so you don't have to wander from crowded place to crowded place when you're hungy looking for something you like.

Beast_fanatic
03-28-2005, 12:34 PM
I told my hubby the other day that I didn't intend to overplan our upcoming trip. I actually meant that I wasn't going to start planning yet since the trip isn't until the end of October.

What he heard was that I didn't intend to do any planning. He said, "but you know how much more fun we have when you plan!" graemlins/thumbsup.gif

So, no, I don't think planning is a waste of time at all, and even my hubby appreciates the outcome of it all!

cckelly
03-28-2005, 01:12 PM
If your husband has never been to Disney, it is understandable that he wouldn't think planning is necessary. After all, if you're there for a week, you'll get to it all, right??? Wrong.

I say plan...pick out all of the must-dos at each park and be sure you get to those. The rest you can see as "extras" if there is time.
Leave room each day to redo the best of the best.

Another suggestion: If you want a princess breakfast at CRT, get on the phone at 6:55 a.m. 90 days prior to leaving exactly. Then keep hitting redial until you get through. As soon as you get a live person, say Cinderella Royal Table for (your date). The CM will know right away to hurry and try to get it. Good luck!! ;) You may have to try several days before you're actually able to book it. I hope you get it, but if not, try the Princess breakfast at Epcot (Norway). Although I've never been to it, I've heard good things.

Remember, planning is great, but be willing to be flexible. If your family wants to do something different than what the itinerary says, go with the flow.
Have a wonderful, magical trip!!
:D

matt2672
03-28-2005, 03:26 PM
I agree with most posters here. The most you need to plan are the basics like what you definitely want to see and do at each park, shows, etc. that you know you want to see, but dont plan too much more than that. I guess Im a go with the flow kind of guy and I would never do one of those itineraries that try to plan out ever ride down to the minute and all that nonsense.
We go at least twice a year and the most we talk about is maybe making sure we hit magic kingdom this day because its the day you can the extra hours ticket for when the park closes,stuff like that. If theres a place we know we want to eat and that we need reservations, we will plan something like that out, but thats about it.
Im sure you could do one of those itineraries and plan every waking minute out and maybe you could get on certain rides at better times and all that jazz, but thats just too much work and too restricting. Go and have fun and do some random exploring. Just my 2cents.

Spindrift
03-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Planning is important to get the most out of the vacation. After all you are spending quite a bit of money.

You are also going at a busy time. So making those Priority Seating reservations in advance is important.

Don't tell the DD about breakfast with Cindy until you have the PSs. Remember they are hard to get and you don't want to disappoint her.

You don't have to go overboard on planning but there are some things you should minimally do.

Here's my top ten:

1) Do not push the kids more than 2 days in a row. They will get tired and very cranky on day 3 and you won't have much fun.

2) Select which Character Meal(s) you want and book it.

3) Select a place(s) you and DH really want to eat at and book that. Remember almost every restaurant has a children's menu so don't worry about whether or not they will be something for them.

3) Have a general idea of which parks you are going to on what days. But be flexible.

4) Do not try to see everything at a park in one day. Pick out some "must do's" and make sure you see them. Then anything else is a bonus. Use FastPass.

5) Make sure everyone has comfortable, broken-in shoes. A week at WDW is not the place for stiff new shoes.

6) Arrive before the parks open. In that first hour before the crowd really gets there, you can get a lot done. Especially if you want to do rides with slow moving lines like Dumbo.

7) Take advantage of EMH (especially in the evening).

8) Take an afternoon break. Go back to the resort and nap or lounge by the pool.

9) Relax, it's a vacation! Don't let the occasional inconsiderate guest get to you.

10) Plan for the weather. In August, don't underestimate the Florida sun. Drink lots of water and use sunblock. Many a vacation in Florida has been ruined by sun-poisoning.