PDA

View Full Version : Gay Days -- Good or Bad Time to Go?

catnip
03-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Just found out that I booked our trip to coincide with Gay Days (June 1 - 6). I'm okay with this from a philosophical point of view so long as we don't see a lot of inappropriate public displays of affection (which I also have an issue with for heterosexual couples!) --but just wanted to see if it was a problem or a benefit for anyone else going as a family. My son is only 3, so he probably won't notice, but just wanted to hear if anyone had any good or bad experiences during that time.

Edited to say that we have some close friends who are gay so this question is not at all a "bash" --just info gathering!

[ March 30, 2005, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: catnip ]

couple78
03-30-2005, 12:22 AM
I think there is a website which shows which events are at which parks each days. I think each day it's something at each park, not all at once, but I'm sure people from the events will venture everywhere. I can't find the website but I'm sure someone has it.

Pigletgirl
03-30-2005, 12:54 AM
I've been there during Gay Days and I've never found anything with them to be a problem. I have a ton of gay friends too, and I kind of wished that they were with me to enjoy the festivities. It looked like they were having fun. smile.gif

faline
03-30-2005, 06:27 AM
Most people have reported that this event has not had a signficant impact on their vacation on Disney World.

coconutpalm
03-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Gay Day is like any other day..........

PirateLover
03-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Maybe it was just a one time thing, But when a group of my friends went for graduation a few years back, it coincided with gay week. But they only ran into them in the Magic Kingdom. Not let me preface this with the fact that i do not have a problem with homosexuals, and i do indeed have homosexual friends. But my friends said that they were pretty crazy. Lots of PDAs, many dressed like princessess which made at least one little boy they saw cry because he was scarred/confused...
And my friends were a group of girls, and so they kept getting hit on as though everyone thought they were lesbians. But all in all they had a good time with it. If you can deal with it, and you don't think your son will notice, than don't worry about it.

RazdOnDis
03-30-2005, 08:40 AM
I've actually found the gay people at WDW to be some of the nicest and most respectful guests I've ever encountered. We saw some light kissing and hand holding but that was about it. To tell you the truth I'd much rather deal with gay day than any spring break I've had to endure. graemlins/mickey.gif

Momof2boys
03-30-2005, 10:08 AM
We were also at WDW last year during Gay Days and it didn't affect our trip at all. Most of the couples who were in line with us would ask our sons if they were having a good time, what their favorite ride/character was, etc . . . they were just having a great time like we were.

There was a few outlandishly dressed people, however we also saw some teenagers who were dressed WAY worse.

AvonleaCF
03-30-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm also going during Gay Days this year. If you go to their official site (gaydays.com), they have a calendar of events. Just avoid the parks that they'll be at to avoid the crowds. I think it's a great group; I just don't like when large touring groups of any race, ethnicity, or orientation flood the parks all at once. But at least their touring schedule is posted, so if they are going to be at Epcot on a Tuesday, for example, just avoid that park that day.

wendyfan
03-30-2005, 12:13 PM
My friend's sister works at Epcot. I mentioned to my friend that they were going to be down there at this time and what did she think about it. (She goes 2-3 x a year) She said her sister never has seen anything during these days and didn't know what the fuss was about. Aparently it is not that big of a deal and there seems to be a bigger concentration of these "guest" at the Magic Kingdom.

I noticed some couples when we have been there in the past not during this time. Like other posters have stated, I have been much more appalled with the behaviors of teen agers! :mad:

Pagan
03-30-2005, 12:28 PM
I was there for Gay Days once, and saw no problems in the parks themselves. Like others have said, rowdy teenagers are the worst.

That being said, Pleasure Island was another experience altogether that week. I won't get into details, but it was an experience!

I have no problem with it at all, but I could see how some people would. Best to avoid PI those nights if it's something you don't want to see.

[ March 30, 2005, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Pagan ]

AvonleaCF
03-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Pagan:
I have no problem with it at all, but I could see how some people would. Best to avoid PI those nights if it's something you don't want to see.I just want to comment that I don't want to avoid the parks because of the people (I am gay!), but I'm more concerned about the large masses of people. I'm kind of intrigued to be going during this time, but I don't want to wait for hours and hours for each attraction.

Granny Jill A
03-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Re: Gay Days I always have to laugh about folks getting upset over being around gay people.

Someone once said that if you got rid of all the gay people who WORKED at Disney World, it would become the largest self-service amusement park in the country. graemlins/laughing.gif

I have found that gay people are just like straight people - people first and foremost.

Go and have a great time, and don't worry! smile.gif

TCLites
03-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Have been at WDW during this convention, and have been at WDW during other big convention/meeting times. As with any big convention or meeting, the parks are busier, but not overcrowded as this is a lighter season. We too, only really ran into groups of people from this convention at MK and PL. Other then the size of the crowds, no different then any other time. We had grandparents and younger children with us on this particular trip. No more or no less different behaviors then from any other crowd of people.

People are people. IMHO, any larger group of people display basically the same variety of characteristics as any other larger group of people, regardless of how they are "labeled".

crazy4dizney
03-30-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm also planning a trip to Disney that week~ I'm more concerned w/ how HOT and HUMID it might be. I'd rather not be at the same park because I don't want crowds!
I am concerned about my kids seeing something they shouldn't~ as a parent that's my right...
We just plan on avoiding their schedule, I'd rather not wait in long lines! Combine that w/ the heat OY! I'll be grumpy! graemlins/laughing.gif

WDWFanatic
03-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by crazy4dizney:
I'm also planning a trip to Disney that week~ I'm more concerned w/ how HOT and HUMID it might be. I'd rather not be at the same park because I don't want crowds!
I Combine that w/ the heat OY! I'll be grumpy! graemlins/laughing.gif That was the EXACT problem I had! It was so hot and humid I was about to melt! Living in New England, I'm not used to that much heat so early in the year. I tried one of those neck cooler things....felt like I was wearing a warm slug around my neck. The crowds weren't really much worse, but one warning, don't wear a red shirt. At least the year we went there seemed to be a sea of red shirts.

Cindy Ahart
03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
I too have booked our family vacation for May 31 through June 5, not knowing at all that this was scheduled for Gay Week...nowhere had i read posted on Disneys website in their calendar of events this information. Had I known this at the time of booking and prior arrangements to everything I have since then booked, I probably would have chosen another date to go as I have 4 children and would be concerned as to what they/we might encounter. However, I have decided NOT to rebook this vacation and try to avoid the parks when the group is scheduled to be in them, in order to avoid the mass crowds as well. I just don't want my children to feel uncomfortable under any circumstances and hope this will not be the situation.

Pagan
03-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by AvonleaCF:
I just want to comment that I don't want to avoid the parks because of the people (I am gay!), but I'm more concerned about the large masses of people. I'm kind of intrigued to be going during this time, but I don't want to wait for hours and hours for each attraction.I hope my comment didn't offend you. It was not meant as a "stay away" comment. What I meant is that if someone has an aversion to such things, as unfortunately some do, that maybe PI wasn't where they should go.

My apologies if you were offended.

[ March 31, 2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Pagan ]

Leota74
03-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Cindy Ahart:
I too have booked our family vacation for May 31 through June 5, not knowing at all that this was scheduled for Gay Week...nowhere had i read posted on Disneys website in their calendar of events this information. Gay Days is not a Disney Sponsered Event. That is why you would have found no listing on any of their literature or web pages.

It always amazes me how many times this topic comes up. Go . . .have a good time! I will bet you my Intercot membership that you will come back complaining more about "line-jumpers", "last-minute-parade-peepers", and the infamous "stroller brigades" than anything related to the Gay Days events. smile.gif

catnip
03-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses -- I think we'll just avoid the MK on the day of the crowds! And, as many mentioned, I agree that there are a lot of teenagers that create more commotion than anyone else I can imagine. Regarding the outrageous costumes, I have to say that I think both my son and I would enjoy them! I think that this will be a great trip -- and from what I have read, is a time that is a little less croweded than the remainder of the summer! graemlins/mickey.gif

Kingdom Kid
04-02-2005, 01:11 PM
My friends, husband and wife took their children to MK on Gay Days several years ago and came back with a funny story. The husband couldn't understand why so many men were approaching him, asking personal questions, etc.

Finally a CM said, " you're not gay are You," When he responded "no" she told him he needed to change shirts and took him to the front and gave him a new shirt. Evidently he was wearing a red shirt which is a color of preference for Gay Day. After he changed shirts no one approached him.

My advice- tell your husband not to wear red.

[ April 02, 2005, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Kingdom Kid ]

RazdOnDis
04-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Kingdom Kid:

My friends, husband and wife took their children to MK on Gay Days several years ago and came back with a funny story. The husband couldn't understand why so many men were approaching him, asking personal questions, etc.

Finally a CM said, " you're not gay are You," When he responded "no" she told him he needed to change shirts and took him to the front and gave him a new shirt. Evidently he was wearing a red shirt which is a color of preference for Gay Day. After he changed shirts no one approached him.

My advice- tell your husband not to wear red.
Now that's funny!!! graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif

crazy4dizney
04-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Kingdom Kid:

My advice- tell your husband not to wear red. Oh goodness, so much for the red Mickey shirt my hubby has! graemlins/rotfl.gif

wendyfan
04-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I tried one of those neck cooler things....felt like I was wearing a warm slug around my neck.
graemlins/rotfl.gif :D graemlins/rotfl.gif

I was wondering if those things were any good.

Grumpy's_Wife
04-04-2005, 09:19 AM
We have been there as a family during gay days. If you do not mind PDA'S you will be fine. I found it hard to explain to my kids "why are those two men kissing?" Some are there to SHOCK but most are there for vacation. IMHO

crazy4dizney
04-04-2005, 09:32 AM
What PDA's?? :confused:

John D
04-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by crazy4dizney:
What PDA's?? :confused: Public Displays of Affection.

princesspower
04-04-2005, 11:03 AM
I have not posted about this but I wish someone would have given me this info so I'm going to post. When we were there during Gaydays 2 years ago, we had no problems.( we are a family of 4.) We just avoided MK that Saturday. However last year we avoided MK and went to Epcot and it was also very crowded! We also saw a man wearing a red t-shirt with a slogan that might be confusing to kids IMHO. Luckily, my kids didn't see it. Now I have a gay Aunt and have a couple gay aquaintances. I'm not being homophobic or trying to worry anyone about what they will see. That t-shirt is the only controversial thing we have seen in 2 years. Everyone we met was there to enjoy a family vacation or vacation with loved ones or friends like any day at WDW. Now with that being said we are going back the first week in June again this year! smile.gif However we are planning on avoiding MK on Sat.6/4 and Sun. 6/5. We will probably avoid Epcot on 6/4 too.
There are 2 different celebrations. If you go to the Gayday website you will see that they have their Gayday celebration at the MK on Sun. 6/5 . If you go to Gaydays website you will see that their celebration at the MK is on Sat.6/4. As for the other days, we were there on an AK day and it didn't seem overly crowded so we don't worry about going to the other parks on a gayday or Gaydays designated park day. Red is the color of choice at least for the MK celebrations!
I hope this helps! I'm not trying to offend anyone ,I don't like inappropriate t-shirts, behavior,etc. from anyone , but like I said I wish someone would have given me this info 2 years ago so I could have planned our trip a little better!

crazy4dizney
04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by John D:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by crazy4dizney:
What PDA's?? :confused: Public Displays of Affection. </font>[/QUOTE]Ohhhhh graemlins/blush.gif thanks!

Anyhooo, we changed our dates~ I was too nervous about the heat and the crowds. I think going one month earlier will be better, I hope! graemlins/mickey.gif

I don't do well w/ very hot/ humid weather OR when Disney is packed to the seams! I've heard early May is better.... we shall see!

Cindy Ahart
04-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Thank you Princess Power for your posting...any advice is more than helpful to me. We will be arriving at WDW on May 31 and will be visiting the parks on Jun1-June 4. As of now I have scheduled to see Animal Kingdom on Wednesday, June 1, MGM Studios on Thursday, June 2, MK on Friday, June 3 and Epcot on Saturday, June 4. I am a little leary about the saturday at epcot visit because of your posting. Does anyone have any better suggestions for me on days to visit which parks.? We are a family of 6 and are trying to make the most of our trip, just as everyone else is. I am trying to avoid visits to the parks that either have the late nights or early mornings but sometimes that is impossible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

[ April 05, 2005, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Cindy Ahart ]