PDA

View Full Version : back packs in parks?

merrymouse
01-07-2004, 11:38 AM
I was wondering if you can bring back packs into the parks? I did a search but nothing came up. If not, how the heck to you carry everything. There are 2 adults and 3 kids (1 being 18 months old). We are going in 13 days and I plan on starting out the day with shorts under jogging pants so once it gets to warm the kids can just slip off their jogging pants. But what do I do with them and all the other stuff Ill probably have to carry? 13 days and counting woo hoo!!!! graemlins/party.gif graemlins/party.gif

drummerboy
01-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Yes, but it will be inspected before you get to the gate. If you unzip all compartments before you get to the security table, it can speed things up.

andromedaslove
01-07-2004, 11:43 AM
I always carry backpacks into the parks. Normally between the whole family we have at least 3. One for my camera equipment, one for a diaper bag, and another that carries all of our little extras. The only thing that will happen is that they will ask you to open your bag as you are entering each park so that they can search it and make sure you aren't carrying anything that you shouldn't be. I am only 3 days behind you. Praying for good weather and low crowds.

Vacation Dad
01-07-2004, 11:58 AM
I usually carry two. One for the water, camera equipment, ponchos, water shoes, sunglasses etc. and stash the second one with a change of clothes and extra socks in a locker. If my son wants to get wet, we can go for it and I won't be miserable for the rest of the day.

Kags1200
01-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi Just a thought I had while reading you can also rent a locker in one of the parks & remember, if you visit more than one park you wont have to rent another locker, your one rental fee will carry over to other parks. It works well for our family!! ~~~~~~~~~K~~~~~~~~~

merrymouse
01-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Well that will make things easier. Great idea about the locker...I didn't even realized they had them. How much do they cost?

Beast_fanatic
01-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Lockers are $7/day with a $2 refundable deposit when you return the key.

As stated above, if you rent in one park, you don't have to pay in another park on the same day so long as you show your receipt.

DisneyAddict62
01-08-2004, 08:41 AM
We had two backpacks, one we carried with stuff we might need for the day, the second with warmer clothes (it was November)for evening that went into a locker. Well worth the money! We also would put any souveniers in there that we may have bought throughout the day!

Security barely looked throught them at they check-in! I think they were just going through the motions!

Marker
01-08-2004, 09:21 AM
I would take a good look at the amount of stuff you carry, and consider if you really need it all.

With a tiny-tot a diaper bag is going to be unavoidable.

But, for the grown ups, do you really need all that stuff. Changes of clothes - do you really need to change clothes? Tons of snacks - we don't really have to eat all day. Pounds of video/camera equipment - home many hours of video do you already have that never get watched?

I typically have my water bottle around my waste, and my sunglasses around my neck. Perhaps a simple camera in my pocket, or at the most a fanny-pack.

I've always been intrigued by the folks carrying 20 pounds (or more) of luggage with them all day. I always wondered what they do with it when they go on a ride, and what on earth could all that stuff be that they can't do without for a few hours.

But that's just me.

drummerboy
01-08-2004, 09:30 AM
In the warmer weather, especially when DW and I are just us, I'm with Marker--minimal stuff, usually just a water bottle holster strapped to my waist. But this Dec. I did carry a backpack with: extra diapers and wipes for 4-mo.-old grandson; sweatshirt for sundown; a few small snacks for the grands; some lunch sandwiches; and not much more. Too much for a fanny pack, but still lightweight enough not to be a bother. Oh Yeah, digital camera fit into a cargo pocket. Love those cargo jeans.

DisneyDog
01-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Of course you can bring a back pack. Our diaper bag is a back pack, which is wonderfully convenient. They will inspect it at the gate and then you can be on your way. We sling the backpack over the back of the stroller and we don't ever have to carry it graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Vacation Dad
01-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Marker:

But, for the grown ups, do you really need all that stuff. Changes of clothes - do you really need to change clothes? Tons of snacks - we don't really have to eat all day. Pounds of video/camera equipment - home many hours of video do you already have that never get watched?

Your kidding about the change of clothes right? Ever been on Kali River rapids? You can get soaked, no absolutely dripping wet. I can still hear the squish squish sound of my wet sneakers wrapped around my white crinkled feet with my underwear sticking to my...... :D It's either that or listen to the child beg and beg to go on the water rides all day.

It's just easier to stow extra cloths, socks and some baby powder in a locker, and in less than ten minutes your high and dry with a satisfied smirk as you watch others shiver in their wet clothes or walking bow legged out of the parks back to the hotel

BrerMama
01-08-2004, 02:51 PM
After carting a backpack last trip, I refuse to do it this trip. It's awkward and a pain to maneuver when getting on/off rides. I did find a great cross-body bag from Eddie Bauer that I will be using, however. I don't plan to be using it as a cross body bag, but more as a cross-hips bag. It's got a large pouch that can hold ponchos and camera supplies. It's even got slots for park passes and picture ID. It hangs off my waist but not in a bulky or uncomfortable way. I've been looking for the perfect bag for months and think I've found it. Best part? It sells for more than $30 from Eddie Bauer and I got it for $3.50 on ebay!

xipetotec
01-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Marker:
Changes of clothes - do you really need to change clothes? Hhahaha, well you might if you're going on KALI RIVER RAPIDS :D

No but seriously, I do bring a back pack having the three kids with us, space like that can easily fill up. Camera, ( single camera ) water bottles for everyone, maybe a sweater just in case. Right there, you've already got a lot of stuff. Granted, it DOES have to be evaluated, you don't need to bring your entire trip's worth of luggage into the parks with you.

As for the rides, I've never had any problems bringing the packs on the rides with me and putting it at my feet.

Marker
01-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Vacation Dad:
Your kidding about the change of clothes right? Ever been on Kali River rapids? You can get soaked, no absolutely dripping wet. I can still hear the squish squish sound of my wet sneakers wrapped around my white crinkled feet with my underwear sticking to my...... :D It's either that or listen to the child beg and beg to go on the water rides all day.
No, actually I'm not kidding. Getting wet has never posed any real problem for me. Especially on a hot day. And get this, I don't bother with a poncho either, if it rains, I get wet. But it's ok, I'll dry. Actually, that afternoon shower on a hot July/August day feels pretty darned good. As for squishy socks or shoes, not a problem, I wear sandles.

So I guess you must only be allowed one turn on one water ride? Or do you bring several changes of clothes and change each time?

xipetotec
01-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Well to be honest, *ME* personally, I'm like you, couldn't care less if I get wet. In fact, the wetter the better. But my wife on the other hand... She doesn't share my enthusiasm for soggy drippins

merrymouse
01-08-2004, 07:24 PM
I have to agree about getting wet I could care less but we are going in Jan and the weather could be quite cold and with three little kids it won't fun if they're drenched and cold. We are staying on the monorail so if they get wet in MK we could probably just pop back to the hotel right? I can't remember, I haven't been there is 23 years...back then it was only the MK. graemlins/blush.gif I think Im showing my age graemlins/blush.gif

GeminiAngel
01-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Clear backpack - that's what I carry. make securit checks for you quicker. if it rains no problem. graemlins/crazy.gif graemlins/muscles.gif :D graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/party.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

WOO HOO

Vacation Dad
01-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by merrymouse:
I have to agree about getting wet I could care less but we are going in Jan and the weather could be quite cold and with three little kids it won't fun if they're drenched and cold. We are staying on the monorail so if they get wet in MK we could probably just pop back to the hotel right? graemlins/blush.gif I think Im showing my age graemlins/blush.gif Yes, being at a monorail hotel does make it easier to pop back to the hotel to change clothes. Crowds levels being light should make it even easier.

To be honest, the only place I got wet at MK was Splash Mtn. and then not because of the drop, but because the seat had a 1/4 inch of water on it before I even sat down. There is a childs wet play area over next to the Barnstormer that is awful hard for kids to pass up once they see it. There is very little rain in January compared to the summer so that may not be much of a problem. Hope you have a good visit!