PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to take movies of the rides?

NEXTDIZCEO
12-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Happy Holidays! I am going to WDW in 11 days and was planning on bringing my DV camcorder. I would love to take video of rides so that I can watch them to remind me of that magical place. The only problem is I don't know if it is legal. Because filming movies is against international copyright laws, I would guess that theme park attractions would be the same way. I really want to film but only if it is legal. HELP!

faline
12-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Filming is permitted on a number of the rides as long as you do not use an external light source on your camera. (The external light source includes an open side door - you'll need to use the viewfinder!).

As you enter a ride or attraction, you'll be told if it doesn't permit filming.

LorrieP
12-14-2003, 05:37 PM
I taped POC with my side door opened and nothing was said. I didn't even think of it as a light source. I did have to use night shot though which makes it black and white.

I watch my videos all the time. graemlins/mickey.gif

ilovestitch
12-14-2003, 06:01 PM
A lot of people sell videos of the rides on ebay. That is probably illegal, but the auctions don't get pulled. My bf bought a tape of the HMH at DL on ebay, its pretty neat. -Stephanie

DisRuss
12-15-2003, 10:29 AM
I videotaped about 8 hours of ride footage a few years ago. I watch them all of the time it's awesome. I even taped MV3D I put the 3D glasses over my camera lens.

piget
12-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Is it just me - or does anyone else find that others doing this kind of taping is both distracting and kind of rude - not meant as a personal assault on any individual poster - talking in general here...

Please, please listen to the "spiels" at the beginning of the attractions - and at the VERY least be kind enough to follow these....and at the most take your fellow guests into consideration - and just because a CM doesn't come over and say anything - doesn't mean it is right!

SteveL
12-15-2003, 05:33 PM
You are permitted to videotape in some attractions.
If the Cast Member instructs you that no photography, video, or audio recording is permitted in an attraction, then in all probablity it would be a violation of copyright laws to do so. A prime example of this was the old Sony Superstar Theater.
Keep in mind that Intercot vigorously discourages the violation of these laws.

DisneyDudet
12-16-2003, 01:57 AM
I just got a new camera on my Birthday... Sat... and I plan on doing a lot of recording.. especialy the night time christmas stuff.... I don't think I'll do the ride videos... except maybe on splash.. but thast just b/c I love the ride...hehe... I don't even know if i'll do that... i don't really like it when ppl do that.

But I do want to record the Xmas parade and CP... will they let me record CP? I think that would be fun if i can!

faline
12-16-2003, 06:39 AM
I'm not aware of any prohibition against taping during the Candlelight Processional. I've got snippets of tape from two different performances.

piget
12-16-2003, 09:52 AM
Taping outside stuff is fine! - I mainly meant the inside attractions! Even if it is allowed - I just think it is distracting for others and really isn't considerate.....besides how can you fully enjoy it with a camera in your face/concentrating on filming?... I would rather fully enjoy it at the time and take home the memory in my mind that is so much more than a camera can pick up - and I would never do anything to detract from the experience for others!!!!

WDWCP Spring99
12-17-2003, 11:34 AM
Just last week I sat down and got ready to tape the Carousel of Progress (because who knows how much longer it will be around). I pulled out my camcorder and then they tell me that there is no videotaping....RATS!! Oh well, I still enjoyed seeing the Carousel again, but wish I could have somethig to remember it by.
I was allowed to tape "Food Rocks" which is nice because I know it will be closing in January.
My major gripe is with the people taking flash pictures inside the dark rides. I was on Spaceship Earth last week and a group of cheerleaders decided that they would all use their camera flashes. It was really distracting.

andromedaslove
12-17-2003, 03:07 PM
Ok, the last thing that I would ever want to do is inconvenience someone else while at WDW. I don't see how my videotaping a ride or show could bother someone. As long as I am not using a light, or a sideview then I just don't get where the inconvenience is. I have yet to figure out how to turn the flash off on my camera so I don't use it inside rides. This however will be remedied by the time I go down in January. Some of the best pictures I have gotten have been from on the rides.

piget
12-18-2003, 10:10 AM
It is definately the viewers - the light from them that is distracting! Having someone in front of you in a dark theater/ride is really annoying. So, if people are taping without using these - I am probably not noticing ..so that is cool and in no way inconsiderate to otthers.

[ December 18, 2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: piget ]

Donalds Duckie
12-19-2003, 04:32 PM
I taped rides using my infrared through the view finder and it worked great! Plus, other riders won't even know unless they look at you and see the camera to your eye.

TiggerRPh
12-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by faline:
Filming is permitted on a number of the rides as long as you do not use an external light source on your camera. (The external light source includes an open side door - you'll need to use the viewfinder!). I've taped rides and attractions for years with a camcorder with an LCD screen and used it many times without being told not to. The LCD screens really don't give off enough light to ruin the dark illusion of any ride.

The fact that someone is taping a show, ride or an attraction....if that is bothering you, then I think you're just looking for things to complain about. Unless the person is directly in your line of sight, you shouldn't even be noticing it.

Another suggestion I have is to go into your menu and disable the 'record' light. CM seeing this will ask you to stop thinking that it's a infrared emitting light which I've been told can affect audioanimatronics on some rides.

[ December 22, 2003, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: TiggerRPh ]

faline
12-22-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by TiggerRPh:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by faline:
Filming is permitted on a number of the rides as long as you do not use an external light source on your camera. (The external light source includes an open side door - you'll need to use the viewfinder!). I've taped rides and attractions for years with a camcorder with an LCD screen and used it many times without being told not to. The LCD screens really don't give off enough light to ruin the dark illusion of any ride.
</font>[/QUOTE]I never thought of the open door as an external light either. All I can say is that I got yelled at by a cast member for using it and was I ever graemlins/blush.gif !

piget
12-22-2003, 08:26 AM
I am NOT looking for something to complain about - as I said they ARE right in front of me and it IS distracting - amazing the lengths some people will go to justify their inconsideration to others! Heaven forbid you realize that you may be doing something that is rude and inconsiderate - as if the attraction is just there for your personal taping/use - but go right ahead and explain it away by saying it must somehow the fault of the other person!!! Again, no thought or consideration given to the other person - just "it can't possibly be me or my actions.."

People here complain about rude and boarish behavior at "the World" (and outside) - this is why it prevails: you make an honest statement that "hey this is bothersome" ...and instead of looking at their own behavior and saying "oh, I never thought of that way...maybe I should rethink my actions"....they just justify their actions by assuming there is fault with the other person....amazing!

Here I am making an honest contribution to a thread on this board - and once again, someone has to get nasty and make a personal attack!

[ December 22, 2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: piget ]

Ian
12-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Hey guys, let's play nice, k?

Everyone has an opinion on every subject and we're not always going to agree on everything.

I don't think anyone in this thread crossed the line to personal attacks ... There are just differing opinions being expressed.

As long as we're respectful in the way we do it, that's what this board is for. It is, after all, called a discussion forum.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. graemlins/mickey.gif

piget
12-22-2003, 09:30 AM
I am sorry - but it is NOT respectful when someone makes a statement directed at me and states I am "just looking things to complain about" - it is rude and out of line for someone to dismiss my feelings and opinions this way... to suggest that there can't possibly be any validity to them!

I find it ESPECIALLY so coming from a moderator - and then to have another come along and back it up!? I thought the moderators were here to forward the discussions and keep them from from going this route....!?

Ian
12-22-2003, 09:48 AM
I apologize if you thought I was only stepping in to side with a board moderator. That was not the intent of my post.

I was just trying to smooth things over and get the discussion back on track. I wasn't taking either side.

piget
12-22-2003, 09:53 AM
And I apologize that I misread your intent! smile.gif

Ian
12-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks!! smile.gif

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-22-2003, 11:34 AM
"Let there be peace on Earth..." graemlins/shakehead.gif

Ryan Simmons
12-22-2003, 11:46 AM
OK now that we are all friends again, let me put my two cents in.

IMO Taping the attractions is very important. It may not seem that way now but years in the future when these attractions are torn down or closed forever you will wish you had something to remember them by. So take all the pictures and film all you want to share attractions with others because Disney will tear down things sometimes without notice and then they are gone forever.

R.I.P.
Submarines
Mission to Mars
Alien Encounter
Horizons
Journey Into Imagination (First Incarnation)
Etc.
Etc.

andromedaslove
12-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Now back to the topic at hand!!! For those of you that do tape on the dark rides how do you get the picture to come out? I tried to film Peter Pan last time I was there and I believe I used the night time mode on my camera and hardly anything came out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dizneegirl
12-22-2003, 03:11 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by andromedaslove:
Now back to the topic at hand!!! For those of you that do tape on the dark rides how do you get the picture to come out? I tried to film Peter Pan last time I was there and I believe I used the night time mode on my camera and hardly anything came out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. [/QUOTE]

First, I wanted to agree with Ryan Simmons that it is very important to me to tape certain rides. Not only because the ride may be gone in the future but because I love to watch the videos and pretend I am there again. smile.gif And, BTW, I have a video camera with an LCD screen. I use limo dark window film cut to size that I lay over the top of the screen during rides. It works really well (I can still see the basic outline of what I am taping) and I have never had anyone complain. In fact, some poeple have thanked me for it.

Now, as far as taping in the dark rides and making them come out. I have learned that by changing my film speed that can help a lot. Check your manual to find out how to do that on you camera specifically. Hope that helps.

And everyone have a great holiday and be happy!!!

graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

TiggerRPh
12-23-2003, 11:52 PM
I never thought of the open door as an external light either. All I can say is that I got yelled at by a cast member for using it and was I ever graemlins/blush.gif ! Wow...yelled at!

I was asked once to not tape....sorry...did not hear the CM say it...but never yelled at. Talk about being rude.

I would tape whatever you want that is allowed by Disney. I'll use the LCD screen but adjust it so I don't have to hold the camcorder at eye level...though I have been in show/attractions with people taping and it hasn't bothered me mainly because I'm not paying attention to them. Using the viewfinder is absolutely the worst since you are missing the show/attraction...that's why I have an LCD screen...I can do both.

[ December 23, 2003, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: TiggerRPh ]

ChewyStriker
12-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Aside from the videotaping, we experience a lot of people using flash photography while on the indoor rides when we were there earlier this month and found it quite distracting and rude. It is difficult to enjoy the ride to its fullest when someone in front of you is flashing every five seconds. I think we experienced this most in the MK - at Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Snow White to name a few. graemlins/shakehead.gif

TiggerRPh
12-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ChewyStriker:
...we experience a lot of people using flash photography while on the indoor rides... :mad:

Hopefully these people have regular cameras (not digital) and get a crummy picture developed.

It's probably not rude, but why use a flash when taking pictures of the fireworks?

:confused:

Taswira
12-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by TiggerRPh:
It's probably not rude, but why use a flash when taking pictures of the fireworks?LOL. It's always amusing to see so many guests clicking away with a flash that has a range of less than 10 feet, and they are certain it's going to get them a clear pic of the globe at Illuminations, not to mention the fireworks. graemlins/rotfl.gif I recently used my digital camera to show a woman trying that the immediate results of with/without flash, and explained the reasoning. She was shocked!

goofyfanatic
12-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Taswira:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TiggerRPh:
It's probably not rude, but why use a flash when taking pictures of the fireworks?LOL. It's always amusing to see so many guests clicking away with a flash that has a range of less than 10 feet, and they are certain it's going to get them a clear pic of the globe at Illuminations, not to mention the fireworks. graemlins/rotfl.gif I recently used my digital camera to show a woman trying that the immediate results of with/without flash, and explained the reasoning. She was shocked! </font>[/QUOTE]I find that with a digital camera you should almost never use the flash. The results are almost always better without it.

Seth

Ian
12-26-2003, 08:39 AM
I am constantly amazed at how many people use flashes to take pictures of fireworks. I mean wouldn't common sense dictate that illuminating flashes of light really isn't necessary?? :confused:

Not to mention that the range of the average camera flash is maybe 9 - 12 feet tops!

Taswira
12-26-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by goofyfanatic:
I find that with a digital camera you should almost never use the flash. The results are almost always better without it.Seth Definitely true, especially with high-end digitals. I use the flash so rarely that I often forget it is there. About the only time I use it is shooting close-ups in shadows.

But the illogic of most people IS amusing. As mentioned, "Gee - Let's pop the flash to brigten the area just in front of the lens, so we can destroy any chance of capturing that far off light in the distance!" (hee-hee)

Puppy Mom
12-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Oh dear, I hope I don't start something up again, but here are some of my experiences that give photographers a bad name. It doesn't exactly all apply to the dark rides, but it might help some of the camera folks know why people groan at the sight of 15 pounds of camera equipment being lugged through the park. I assume since we all love the Disney experience here, none of us would do these types of things ourselves.

1. People standing up when they are in the front row of a parade so they can get that perfect picture/movie, effectively blocking the view of several people behind them.

2. People taking VERY long to take pictures of their family up against a rail on one side of a walkway, from the other side of the walkway, and getting huffy if 50 people don't want to wait while they take five minutes to take a picture.

3. People walking right into me while they were filming instead of watching where they were going. Not as bad as the stroller commandos, but still painful.

4. Someone not only filming a dark ride which is usually fine, but NARRATING IT into a sound recording camcorder. I'll bet all these boors heard on their movie was a huge Ssshhhh!

Honey_BDynamo
12-30-2003, 08:00 PM
DH and a friend were taking non-flash photos in CoP last week. There's enough ambient light for a 1/2 second shot with nice results. (Digital cam, BTW)

Apparently, DH let the camera turn off by accident. When he turned it back on the flash was no longer set to "off" ... and he took a picture. Emily, her DH, Bill, and I all groaned, "JD! No flash!"

I'm pretty sure *we* were more distracting than the flash, but I felt like such an idiot ... being one of "those people" as DH thinks of them.

To my satisfaction, it's a horrible shot b/c we were more than 15 ft. from the stage :)

imported_Mommy Tsunami
12-31-2003, 04:18 AM
I have to agree with Piget, it IS annoying and rude when people are filming during rides, the light from the side view cameras is distracting and takes away from the magic of the ride. I don't see any problem with anyone filming stuff, as long as no-one else can tell you're doing it (therefore you're not disturbing anyone).

As far as stroller commandos...I guess I'm guilty. Until you've tried to push a stroller around a crowded area and have person after person walk right in front of you, making you have to stop, you won't understand why you might get "nudged" every now and then smile.gif

Puppy Mom
12-31-2003, 05:08 AM
Mommy Tsunami,

I have never had to negotiate a stroller, but I did use to take my Mom out in her wheelchair so I know what you mean. I used to wonder if the chair was invisible.

I was talking more about the people that are pushing the stroller one way and looking another and run right into the back of you at much more than a nudge. I have had blood drawn from that. I would also add that letting a small child push a stroller in a crowd is a very bad idea. I am amazed at how many parents let kids push strollers when the child can't even see over it.