PDA

View Full Version : Walking

Jasper
02-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Ok, I know you mod's probably looked at the title of this post and got itchy fingers just waiting for the chance to move this post to a more suitable forum. But if you give me a chance to explain you will see this makes the perfect forum for this discussion. Before any of us pack up for our trip to the House of Mouse we all now that we need hotel reservations, priority seatings, show reservations, plane tickets, etc. But how many of us stop to think about getting our feet, legs, ankles and entire rest of our bodies in shape for all the extra walking we will be doing? I would dare say that in reading trip reports the number 1 complaint that can be prevented is foot/leg pain/aches.

Since this topic hasn't been discussed in a while, I thought I would remind everyone one of the need to start an early, consistent, intense regiman of walking in preperation for their visit to Walt Disney World. This should be just as important a part of your vacation planning as getting your plane tickets.

While I am not a physical fitness expert I can tell you from my personal experiance that if you start at least 6 months in advance you can easily start out very slowly. Say as little as 1/2 mile a day at only 2 miles per hour and by the time you arrive in Disney World you can easily be doing 5 or 6 miles a day and averaging doing between 3.5 and 4 miles an hour. Those of you more physically fit can certainly do more.

I can tell you that I am 41 years old. I at one point weighed over 300 pounds. In the last four years I have had a stent put in my heart and the same herniated disc in my back operated on twice and now have severe lifetime nerve pain down my left leg as a result. I have lost 65 pounds from my previous high. Even when I was at my highest and was having all those physical problems I still followed the walking program I laid out here and I can tell you that I never have had a problem with sore feet/ankles or legs while at Disney World. And I can tell you we are park Kamakazies! We are the first ones at rope drop and we don't leave until security pushes us out at the end of the day.

I don't say this to brag or gain sympathy, it is just that I feel bad for others when I know that they have worked so hard to get there and then are so disappointed because they feel miserable after the first day because their feet are killing them.

Bottom line, make daily walking a part of your Disney World Vacation Planning starting at least 6 months before you go!

WDWdriver
02-19-2003, 07:22 PM
Good advice, Jasper. And congratulations on the weight loss.

Remember what Epcot stands for - Every Person Comes Out Tired!
;)

Darbylew
02-19-2003, 08:31 PM
I agree with you about getting out and walking
before you go to Disney. We are up and out of our
hotel early and we don't come back until the
parks are closed. So we have a regular routine
that requires a lot of walking. :D But it worth
every mile we walk. FUN FUN FUN graemlins/party.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

Beast_fanatic
02-19-2003, 09:20 PM
I just wanted to say that the title of the post did not give me itchy fingers to do a move. ;) It's not that we enjoy moving topics, we just want things to be in the most appropriate forum to receive the correct responses.

And, yes, I do think it's important to plan ahead for the increased amount of walking you'll do on your WDW vacation.

Janmac
02-19-2003, 11:03 PM
As long as we're talking about planning, it's important too to make sure your feet are used to your shoes. Some members of our extended family buy shoes the day before we leave for WDW and seem to get away with it, but I'd sure have blisers. :eek:

This is one subject I devote some time to, in the months before going to WDW. I have done both: the get in shape before you go plan and the oops I was too lazy method. I had leg (more than foot) pain both ways. Also had a good quality walking shoe - had leg pain.

This last trip, I had no leg pain, except for the evening after walking all day all over Blizzard Beach in wimpy water shoes - and that was more foot pain. The difference? Birkenstock sandals. Just plain old Arizona style - no heel strap.

This doesn't work for everyone of course. DH says his Birks wouldn't do him that way. His method is to change shoes every day, or even during the day, and never pass up a bench without sitting.

Now if I can just solve the water park shoe problem, no more foot/leg pain at all! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jan

MonkeyBaby
02-19-2003, 11:09 PM
I am planning a trip in a little over two months with my Dad and Older brother, My dad teaches vocational Horticulture and my brother does GPS/GIS research in the field most days, so they are used to walking alot :eek: I on the other hand have spent the last year as a new "Stay at Home Dad" graemlins/shakehead.gif I am not overweight or in BAD shape, but I know if I don't start walking a little everynight before we go to get ready... the other two Disney Commandos will have to carry me out of the parks (we never leave a man behind :D )

-Dave graemlins/mickey.gif

Nicola Ross
02-20-2003, 08:33 AM
I always wanted to know how far I walked when I go to WDW, and last year my Dad bought me a pedometer (sp?) You set it to your walking pace / stride and it measures how far you walk!

We last year I walked 120 miles!!!! We were there for 3 weeks, but I only used it on 19 days, thats an awful lot of walking! And for 4 of the 19 days we were on the cruise!

This year I intend to build up walking a bit each day as previously mentioned, so I am ready for the big time when I get to WDW!

Nicola

brownie
02-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Make sure your shoes have good ankle support, since if you don't have good ankle support, this can cause you problems. Don't wait to the last minute to get new shoes, but don't bring old shoes. Bringing some new shoes that have just been broken is the best bet. My favorite shoe is the Merrell Mesa Ventilator. These shoes are very breathable, which can be somewhat of a problem when you have to slosh through big puddles or when its cold out. They keep my feet cooler, though. They run $70-80, and used to be available from LL Bean (now I have to find another source since Bean's not carrying them as far as I can tell).

Interval training can really help to build up your endurance, so you might want to look into incorporating it into any walking program you might adopt. Also, try walking or biking instead of taking the car whenever you can. Too cold outside? Go to the mall early in the morning since a lot of malls offer walking times.

momof2princesses
02-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi Everyone!

I can't agree more on this topic! I will say this as a 37yo Mom of two girls (2 & 3) and a perpetual Weight Watcher, I totally believe in exercise. I try to go to the gym 3x/wk. This allows me to walk 2 miles 3/week.

I will increase this when the weather gets better and take my girls with me. I don't expect them to walk 100 miles in a week, but they will have more stamina and energy to walk the airport and ride the rides, etc. We are going at the end of August and I am hoping by mid-May to get them out there and walking. My husband is another story. He is a walking machine but it would be nice if I could get him walking a couple times a week. We both could use to lose at least 20lbs ea.

That is another topic... :rolleyes: graemlins/silly.gif :rolleyes:

We all could use the exercise and it will make the trip that much more enjoyable when you know you can handle it. I want our breaks to be breaks from the sun, NOT because we are exhausted.

Keep on Walking!!!!! graemlins/clappy.gif

Ruth

Disney-4-Me
02-24-2003, 03:46 PM
I also want to mention to be sure to take an extra pair of shoes in case your first pair gets wet. We know it rarely rains in Florida ;) but you may just be there when it does.

I learned this the hard way and it takes a long time to dry out shoes with a hair dryer! :D

Freetime
02-24-2003, 05:59 PM
I agree with all the tips for keeping you on your toes/feet all day.

My town is too small for a Mall and we are over 30 miles from Little Rock. But we do have a nice jogging/walking park with benches and even divided lanes! It is 2.75 miles exactly from start to finish in length. We walk our dogs there. They love it, We love it and we get the needed exercise. I am 44 and have for most of my life been at a desk job. Exercise doesn't come easy for me and I still managed to not be tired on any of the days of our trip to WDW.

Just start out slow with good walking shoes and you can break you and the shoes in at the same time.

Tony

CarrieAllie
02-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Yes, my family jokes about such things as this, we call it "Training for Disney World." graemlins/mickey.gif

ddeitch
02-27-2003, 02:02 AM
Comfortable sneakers and Dr. Shoals Gel soles are a part of my vacation package.

Edzter86
02-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Definately start walking a few miles everday before you leave! By the end of our trip, my feet were killing me! Walking beforehand is now the best advice I'll give to anyone planning a WDW vacation. :D