PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Guide Touring Plans: Anyone Use Them?

Red Randal
12-27-2002, 04:22 PM
I know many people around these boards are truly WDW experts, and have taken TONS of trips and therefore know what they like to do and when to do it.

My question surrounds the tour book, "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" written by Bob Sehlinger. The book offers helpful, while sometimes overly critical, tips for WDW vacations and also includes touring plans designed to see the most attractions in the most efficient method.

Now, while I often recomend the book along with this site to people who plan on taking Disney vacations, I have never actually used one of the touring plans. They now offer custom touring plans for people, which is something I might like to take advantage of for my next trip.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Have people used the plans and liked/disliked them? Anyone know of some better ideas for touring plans?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

harperwi
12-27-2002, 05:22 PM
Well, it looks like you are planning a summer 2003 trip, right? I have read each of the last two editions of Bob's books, and I'd be reading this year's Mini-Mickey too, but it looks like they took a year off from publishing annually (maybe the Early Entry/Character Caravan/Extra Magic Hour switcheroo was too much too fast for them, huh?)

That said, while I READ his books and have gotten many useful tips from them (and other "official" books, I might add), I would never use their touring plans. Too often they have guests marching from Space Mountain to Splash Mountain then back to Buzz Lightyear followed by Big Thunder, etc. etc. That back and forth nonsense is mind boggling. I'm sure their plans are tested and proven, but I'm sure they haven't been tested and proven on MY FEET.

The one and only time of year I would consider using the 'canned' plans would be summer due to the peak crowds, but even then with Fastpass in fairly wide release now, I'd still pick either clockwise or counter-clockwise and go from there.

Custom plans? Sounds intriguing, but I guess I'd still save my money for souveniers and snacks and take my chances with Fastpass and a good working knowledge of the parks and traffic/crowd patterns.

Jon

Beast_fanatic
12-28-2002, 12:02 AM
I don't remember if it was my first or second trip to WDW that I attempted to use one of the touring plans at the Magic Kingdom, but it was back in the late 80's. I found the plan to be exactly as Jon stated above, TOO MUCH additional walking!!! It truly did have you zig-zagging across the park. graemlins/shakehead.gif My DH did not like this AT ALL, so we abandoned the touring plan and managed to do just fine on our own. graemlins/mickey.gif

HooksLeftHand
12-28-2002, 12:39 AM
From you signature, it looks like you've been to WDW six times in the last decade. With that kind of experience, I don't think there's any need to stick to anyone else's plan but your own.

There's plenty of good advice to be found in the unofficial guides, but I find that my own best park strategies come on the fly. Maybe you'll happen across a character or an outdoor performance that is more fun than rushing to your next pre-scheduled destination. You're a pro; trust yourself.

TiggerRPh
12-28-2002, 09:53 AM
By the time the books came out we had been a number of times....have never used them. I agree, too much unnecessary walking (especially during busy periods) and wasted time frittering about.

We've always planned the trips on our own.

graemlins/mickey.gif

With that said, I'm going to move this to Vacation Planning where you'll probably get a better array of responses and probably the answer you're looking for.

....please gather all personal belongings and find all members of your party, including small carbon based life forms...

[ December 28, 2002, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: TiggerRPh ]

faline
12-28-2002, 05:17 PM
We had already been to Disney World a number of times before I came across the Unofficial Guide. My very first impression of the "tours" outlined in the first book I read was that they had you criss-crossing the park all day long. Just reading it made me tired!

In fact, I wrote Bob Sehlinger a long letter with my thoughts on his touring plans. I don't remember the whole thing but I do recall that I said that while he had folks running to be first in line at Space Mountain, Dear Husband and I were enjoying a breakfast in front of the Castle while we watched squirrels playing on the lawns and that, despite this, we still got to enjoy all that the Magic Kingdom had to offer. He did (or his staff did) write a letter of response saying that dear husband and I were obviously relaxed travelers! graemlins/rotfl.gif

Oh...to answer your question,and as you might have guesseed, I don't follow these tour plans!

[ December 28, 2002, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: faline ]

Edzter86
12-28-2002, 05:28 PM
We attempted to follow the Magic Kingdom touring plan on our last trip during Presidents Day week in 2000. It was just too hard to follow the plan, and do exactly what they tell you.

Do what you can on your own. Get to the parks early and take advantage of Fast Pass. Its a great system. smile.gif

CaptSmee
12-28-2002, 10:20 PM
I take a lot of the general principles, but don't follow the tour plans the way they are in the book. graemlins/mickey.gif

Red Randal
12-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

The only reason I have considered using the guides was because on my last trip in 2000, we used one for Epcot, just because I felt like trying it out to see if they work (for future reference). And I did get to see a lot without standing in line. The problem was, like many of you said, by the time we ran from Test Track to HISTA back to Body Wars, we were getting exausted, and even though we saw 3 headliners before 10:00, we were wasted for the rest of the day.

I am just now considering the custom plans for an idea of how to see the most in, say, a half day at Animal Kingdom.

Thanks again, and keep adding if anyone had any more comments. I appreciate it. :cool:

Toni
02-15-2003, 09:38 PM
The book is so helpful, and it helps you plan. It was well worth the cost! We used the tour plans loosely and went with the flo. I think they are great for maps and avoiding major traps. Take it with a grain of salt, and it will be helpful. If you're having fun, that's all that matters. Next time we go we aren't going to "See it all." We are going to relax , and enjoy what we can see. But, we will avoid the crowd trappers, and plan ahead. graemlins/mickey.gif smile.gif graemlins/crazy.gif