PDA

View Full Version : Mardi Gras

goofy for pluto
01-19-2003, 07:32 PM
I have heard alot about Mardi gras in Feb. But I can't find out when it is. Is it only celebrated 1 day or are there parades at other times? I have checked calendars, but I can't seem to find any info on this. Any help about this would be appreciated. Thanks

[ January 19, 2003, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: goofy for pluto ]

Beast_fanatic
01-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Mardi Gras dates vary from year to year based on when Easter occurs. Per a web-site about Mardi Gras, "Carnival celebration starts on January 6, the Twelfth Night (feast of Epiphany); and picks up speed until Midnight on Mardi Gras, the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras is always 40 days plus 6 Sundays before Easter. Easter can fall on any Sunday from March 23 to April 25 with the exact date to coincide with the first Sunday after the full moon following a Spring Equinox!"

This year since Easter is so late, the finale of the celebrations occurs on March 4th. In 2004, the finale will occur on February 24th. So, this year, the crowds at WDW could be impacted by Mardi Gras crowds the last week of February through the first week of March.

Hope this helps! :D

goofy for pluto
01-20-2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks for you'r help. This means that the crowds for Mardi gras will fall just between my two trips. A Good thing for crowd control, but I was kind of hoping to be at Pleasure Island for some of the celebration. I hear that its a lot of fun. graemlins/party.gif maybe next year!

kimmishel
01-20-2003, 07:13 PM
When is it at pleasure island? I will be there from the 11th to 22nd. I need dates please.

Toughbug
01-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Pleasure Island usually holds a parade on a couple of occassions during Mardi Gras week. They used to invite a New Orleans krewe down to parade, but seems to have stopped this in order to hold their own parade at Pleasure Island. It is supposed to be a good duplication but I have never experienced this version and can not compare it to what we have here. I have seen information that there will be a Mardi Gras celebration in Pleasure Island, but have yet to find the details.

Now if you really want to experience Mardi Gras, come on down! New Orleans goes all out and puts on the best free show in the world! And go down to St. Charles Avenue in New Orleans to see the real Mardi Gras with the families. It is one of the best times you will have. Or head on out to the suburbs and catch the Jefferson parades on Mardi Gras with all of our families out here.

But I will be down in WDW this Mardi Gras having a great time!