Cast of Characters:

Jane (aka ChipDale)
Ron (my husband)

Trip Dates:

Wednesday, September 18 – Monday, September 30

Resort:

Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel

Day Twelve, Sunday, September 29

graemlins/sleepin.gif Woke up today about 6:30am, made coffee and got ready before waking Ron. We were out the door and at Disneyland’s gate by opening (8:30am) and stopped in the Blue Ribbon Bakery for coffee, mocha and oatmeal raisin cookies. graemlins/tasty.gif After listening to Walt’s speech, we headed up to Fantasyland for rides on Peter Pan’s Flight, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland and It’s a Small World. We took a cruise on the Mark Twain after this, rode Pirates of the Caribbean, then went over to Adventureland to catch another showing of Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room. graemlins/thumbsup.gif After the Tiki Room, we wandered back down Main Street, stopped in the Candy Palace for a treat, then lined up in Frontierland for the 11:45am Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show. We enjoyed our last Billy show of the trip :( then headed out of Disneyland and over to DCA to catch a set of the Barncats. The Barncats weren’t playing in their regular spot (Farmers Market), so we had to track down a Cast Member who knew where they were. We found them over near the Grizzly River Rapids ride. (There was a Mexican festival this weekend and it was very loud over near the Farmers Market area so they were moved just for today.) We were lucky enough to catch the beginning of a set, then they took a lunch break so Ron and I walked over to the Lost Bar for a sandwich and a couple of graemlins/beer.gif between sets. We caught another of the Barncats’ sets graemlins/smokin.gif then went back to the hotel to begin packing for the trip home tomorrow. Packed a little, ironed some clothes and took a nap because we were meeting some friends for drinks (off-site) tonight.

After napping, we met our friends and spent a couple of hours with them before heading back to Disneyland. It’s our tradition to always spend our last night around Rod’s piano at Coke Corner. We made it in plenty of time and were really hungry (no dinner, just graemlins/beer.gif ) so we each got a hotdog and a coffee to enjoy while we listened to Rod play. Disneyland closed at 10:00pm this evening. We talked with Rod for a while after closing, took our last evening walk around the Hub, looked at the Castle and left Disneyland for the night. We pretty much finished the packing, watched some TV and fell asleep quickly. graemlins/sleepin.gif

imported_Melanears
10-21-2002, 11:08 PM
A great ending to the trip, Jane. I've really enjoyed reading your detailed reports. smile.gif

Would you mind explaining the Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show? You guys seem to love it so much. What's the draw? Is it different every time?

harlowandthemermaid
10-21-2002, 11:11 PM
So, what kind of music do the barncats play?
Sounds like another great day and a nice way to end the trip!

imported_PolyGirl40
10-22-2002, 08:26 AM
I love reading all about your California traditions.

TiggerRPh
10-22-2002, 10:24 AM
A wonderful last day of a great series of reports....thanks Jane!

graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ChipDale
10-22-2002, 11:45 AM
Melanie - Billy Hill and Hillbillies is a comedy/bluegrass band with a bass player, fiddler, mandolin and guitar/lead vocalist. It's sort of hard to describe what they do because they perform so many other types of music too.

Their lead (Kirk Wall) does Elvis impersonations, sings rock songs and is one of the funniest performers I've ever seen.

Their fiddler (Dennis Fetchet) toured with Hoyt Axton for 10 years and is probably the best bluegrass fiddler in the world. His Orange Blossom Special brings the house down all the time.

Two real brothers (Evan and John Marshall) make up the rest of the band. Evan is billed as the world's premier mandolin player. His rendition of the William Tell Overture receives standing ovations.

We not only have seen them at Disneyland countless times, they also perform with various symphonies around the country. We've seen them in Long Beach, CA, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Grand Rapids, MI. Their humor and talent blends with symphonies extremely well. They have an official website (billyandthehillbillies.com) and there are several fan sites out there too.

Mel - the Barncats are a bluegrass band recently hired by DCA on a permanent basis. They're a four-piece group (fiddle, banjo, guitar & bass). Some of the members of the Barncats (they have a couple of alternating groups) are substitutes for Billy & the Hillbillies. This group is excellent and a welcome addition to the DCA entertainment lineup!

Disney-4-Me
10-22-2002, 07:24 PM
Wow, what a great vacation. I am sure you are sorry it's over but now you can just start planning a new one.

Comments:
1. If sleeping in is defined as getting up at 8, we do it every day on vacation.
2. Cookies for breakfast! :D

Thanks for your entertaining reports, I have really enjoyed reading them.

Dopeysfriend
10-22-2002, 09:01 PM
A perfect ending to a perfect trip! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks for sharing your anniversary trip with us, Janie! graemlins/mickey.gif