PDA

View Full Version : Pop Warner Football Week.

Lyle
08-24-2002, 04:52 PM
I was just wondering if any one been to Disney during the Pop Warner Football Superbowl. I just read where there will be 12,000+ kids at Disney on Dec. 8-14, how bad does that jam it up? I know if you scatter them over all the parks it dont seem like much. I nomally go in Jan. and usedto the light crowds. This year I chose DEC. 3-12, because I read were it was "one of the least crowded times of the year. Could someone shed some light on this. I kinda got a little down when I read about this Pop Warner thing. Thanks :confused:

Scott C
08-24-2002, 05:40 PM
The only thing that I can compare it to is the Cheerleading championships that we encountered last Feb. The only real problem was at the resort (CBR) food court. It was jammed no where near enough staff. Other than that no big deal. We are planning a trip for the same week next Feb and I have not been able to find out if the situation will be the same. It will probably depend on where you are staying. Most of the kids will be coming and going and involved in the activity and hopefully out of your way

Good Luck

Scott C

TiggerRPh
08-24-2002, 05:44 PM
We usually go to WDW the first 2 weeks of December. I will say that you will see them around but I have never experienced a problem with them in any of the parks. I have heard that the food courts at the All-Star Resorts have been known to be crowded and a bit loud (they seem to stay more at these resorts than the others).

miasmom
08-25-2002, 01:14 PM
I agree with TiggerRPh. We were at All Star Music last December, right in the middle of it all. The only really impact was at the Food Court and the Pool. They tended to be noisy and crowded. All in all, though, the kids were incredibly well behaved!

Their presence in the parks was minimal. Given the low volume during the beginning of december, there would have to be a lot more than 12,000 of them to make a dent!!!

My only suggestion would be to stay anywhere but the All Star Resorts. They have some awesome deals for early december, so the moderates should all be about $85!

Lyle
08-25-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input. I have reses. at the ALL-STAR SPORTS. I plan on keeping them too. I go to Disney for the parks, so I won't be at the hotel except for a few hours at night to sleep, HOPEFULLY! I aways take ear plugs, so maybe it won't be too bad. If I don't get any sleep, "no problem", I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I get home. This is Disney anyway, it would,nt be normall if you did'nt have kids screaming. I don't eat much in the food court either, so that won't be a problem . I'm gonna try and have fun no matter how many people are there. This is Disney, THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH. EVERYONE HAVE A MAGICAL DAY! graemlins/mickey.gif

Timbo
08-26-2002, 02:40 PM
It seems that everytime we stayed at an All Star resort (before becoming DVC members), we ended up being there during some kind of competition or kids sports event. Now, I understand that the AS resorts are perfect for these groups, especially since they are so affordable and well-themed. But I was completely turned off to them because of the crowds and the lack of supervision. I'm not applying this to all groups in general, but the ones that were there when I was there (once it was a dance competition, once a cheerleading competition, and once it was a baseball event) made me think twice about checking into which groups were booked when I was planning to go.

Additionally, these groups do impact park attendance, especially MK. And once again, the lack of supervision engendered a general spirit of complete disregard for others among these young folks. Not all of them mind you...but a good percentage. Some were extremely polite and well-mannered and I made sure to tell them how much it was appreciated.

These are just some facts to consider for your next vacation when there are large groups meeting at WDW.

Scott C
08-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Timbo, I agree with you, but there is one problem. How do we find out 6mo to a year away when these events are? I wish that they would have closed CBR when we were there last Feb with the cheerleaders or at least given us some options. It was not that bad, but it was not the experience that I was accustomed to. Perhaps Disney should build some sort of dorm for these groups. It seems that there are enought of them to make it profitable.

Just Dreaming

Scott C

SpaceShip Earth
08-27-2002, 04:55 PM
I was there last year during this time and I hardly noticed them. I guess it is all your perspective. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge so I can't comment on the hotels. The parks were really not any more crowded as that is a down time anyway. The only thing close to bad was MGM closed early one night because of something they were having for the kids.

Now there will be groups of giggling girls in line waiting. One older gentleman kept saying why do they have to keep laughing all the time.(of course I thought how can they stop. Science proves that giggling occurs when two or more girls are together).

I would not make any change in plans. They have activities scheduled for the kids so you will hardly know they are there.

Besides it was fun watching all the young guy cast members flirt with the girls like these 10, 11, and 12 year old girls really had a chance.

Go have a great time.

Lyle
08-27-2002, 05:44 PM
Spaceship Earth,
Thanks so much for your comments, it makes me feel better about my trip. As I said before I only use my room for a few hours sleep and a place to keep my lugage and clean up, other than that I won't even be around my hotel. I gonna have plenty of time for the parks, so if I have to wait in line, fine, if I don't even better. I'm still gonna try and have a MAGICAL time.
Thanks to everyone again.
Lyle
*95 DAYS TILL DISNEY. YAHOOO!!!!

Lyle
08-27-2002, 05:51 PM
WHOOP! Make that 97 days till Disney!
I miss-counted. HA! HA!

harlowandthemermaid
08-27-2002, 05:55 PM
You can always ask when you get to Sports what buildings the cheerleaders/players are concentrated in...i would think they would know that...then you can see if there is a room ready in another building. I'm going to be at Music the same week and hoping to make a similar request. I think the biggest impact will be waiting in lines...I did have the misfortune of being in the Haunted Mansion last year right behind a group of them and they ruined the ride because they kept yelling to each other from car to car and screaming unnecessarily :rolleyes: This will be my first stay at a resort where they are staying so I'm hoping for the best too!

Womble
08-27-2002, 06:29 PM
Lyle, I’m glad you did not change your plans. I’m sure it will be fine.

I also was at the All Stars the first week of December last year, we had a group of cheerleader’s turn up on the Wednesday. The girls were very well behaved and a credit to their school or collage. The parents were a different story!
If you do have any problems with noise don’t be afraid of ringing reception and making a complaint.

I personally did not complain about the parents shouting and drinking outside their rooms (their rooms were near the pool). I’m sure somebody did! On the second evening there was Disney Security and a senior CM (She was wearing a very smart suit!) as soon as the noise started to go up, they went up. That was the last we heard from them even though we were there for another three nights and so were the cheerleaders.