PDA

View Full Version : worth bringing a fanny pack

disneyrules
07-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Hey everyone!!

I'm going to disney in 6 days and i was wondering if anyone has any tips on carrying money, sunblock, chapstick around with you. Would a fanny pack be good or is it a pain to have on the rides. Would a locker be better? graemlins/muscles.gif

Thanks guys!!! :D

CBR 1986
CBR 1998
CBR 2002
graemlins/mickey.gif CBR 2003 graemlins/clappy.gif

[ July 26, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: disneyrules ]

ToddAllen
07-26-2003, 11:52 AM
I find a fanny pack to be very convenient, even on the rides. I have an extra large one w/a bottle holder on the side, and even it has proved to be just fine. The two rides in which I take it off are ToT and RnRC; on both, I just put it on the floor and thread my foot through it. On most others, it's easy to rotate it to the side.

Beauty
07-26-2003, 11:56 AM
I've tried both a waist pack and a back pack. I prefer a waist pack.I think it gives you more freedom and it is not a problem on the rides. My fanny pack is relatively small compared to some. I can fit a small suncreen, money, tickets, travel wipies and my camera in it and it works great. I will say that if you have children, you may need to carry a backpack. However, when my children were younger, I bought them each a waist pack of their own. I let them carry things that were not valuable. They were happy with that as well.

WhiteRose1
07-26-2003, 11:58 AM
I have a fanny back that lays flat against my stomach. I waterproof it. (inside and out) It can be worn as a fanny back or over the shoulder(like a pocketbook). It has a flap that covers any zippers and compartments, and inside has an area for my glasses, credit cards, money, as well as a larger compartment where I plan to fold my baseball hat for water rides and no hat rides. I think my cell phone and park map can fit inside, too.

I have used this at disney before and it is VERY easy for me. I forget what brand it is, but it's fairly small with really good compartments.

One word of advice.....make sure all zippered compartments are zippered before going on any water ride. I forgot one time and I had a fanny pack full of water when I got off Splash Mountain. graemlins/blush.gif

I'll be wearing a fanny pack when I go for my next trip in Oct.

Pam

TheRustyScupper
07-26-2003, 12:32 PM
1) The wife uses a fanny pack.
2) She carries sunglasses, makeup, camera, etc.
3) I don't carry anything.
4) I always thought toting a packpack wasn't like a vacation.

AmyKane
07-26-2003, 12:35 PM
I never leave for my trip without my fanny pack. I love it. I usually carry my camera, money, annual pass, chap stick and there is even enough room for my sunglasses when I go on a ride.
I very rarely bring my pocketbook with me to Disney.
My fanny pack was the best 6 bucks ever spent...

jefmblrd
07-26-2003, 12:36 PM
I'm someone who doesn't like to wear a fanny pack, but find it indispensable in WDW. I had worn one with a bottle holder on one trip and was always adjusting it multiple times on each ride, so this time I went with a smaller one that fits close to your side and found it great. I also had a "world class Passholder" that I had gotten with my Passporter that was the greatest. It is basically a blue vinyl wallet that worked well for a number of reasons including the fact that it was water resistant as well as thin. But the best thing was that it has a clear plastic window that was perfect for sliding Fastpasses into, so you could check times without having to open it up.

One of the best tips that was given to me was to travel as light as possible. Leave everything you don't need back in the safe at the resort.

Have a great time.

[ July 26, 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: jefmblrd ]

Gotta Love the TTA
07-26-2003, 01:52 PM
I LOVE fanny packs!
I make my whole family wear one, because Mommie is not a pack mule.

In addition to all the great ideas above, I like to hang hats or small bags off the belt of the pack. (we use package delivery for the bigger stuff) It looks a little dorky, but I'm on vacation and I don't care.

Joe, Sue and Joey
07-26-2003, 01:59 PM
We each bring a fanny pack and love it. We put a pack of cookies and a frozen juice box in each one. At about 11:00 the juice box is nice and cold and slushly and goes great with the cookies.

Horizon93
07-26-2003, 02:19 PM
My wife and I both have fanny packs. They are very useful. I keep my cell phone, resort pass, wallet, and sometimes binoculars for shows. I highly recommend fanny packs.

skipbreakfast
07-26-2003, 05:04 PM
i was wondering if anyone has any tips on carrying money, sunblock, chapstick around with you.Pockets?

I'll never understand fanny packs when you can wear cargo pants or a small backpack.

Jared
07-26-2003, 05:06 PM
I definitely agree that fanny packs are nice to have. I don't leave for the parks without mine. I carry my wallet, ticket, notepad, and any other miscellaneous items I might need. It's especially useful because I don't have many pairs of shorts with pockets. smile.gif

Freetime
07-26-2003, 06:59 PM
I put a small amount of sunblock into a smaller bottle, carry some pennies and quarters (penny presses) in 35mm Film Cans, Penny Book, Disposable camera (if it's lost I'm not out much), moist towelettes (small package), tissues, and money in my Fanny Pack. In place of the Camera, my wife (tiggermania) carries the meds... you know.. pepcid, Imodium, Asprin, prescriptions if needed, ect...

I carry Park tickets/room keys around my neck.. We do carry a Backpack into the parks with extra pair of dry socks, shoes and moleskin/first aid kit with small bandages and mini-sewing kit (you never know when you will get a rip ;) . The backpack is thrown into a locker as a "Just In Case"... We don't want to leave the parks for any minor urgency.... Note, To date, we have never used the sewing kit though I was tempted my last trip with a rip in a shirt sleeve. But have had to change socks and shoes to keep from getting blisters (think Kali).

Tony

[ July 26, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Freetime ]

WhiteRose1
07-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Forgot to add - Jeff will be carrying a small backpack with 1 camp towel (shammy), extra moisture wicking socks, sun screen, 1 camera, rain ponchos, and water shoes for both of us. That is a very light bag.

I will carry: our fast passes, maps, money, room cards, copy of ressie #'s, sunscreen and hats. (Basically everything Jeff would misplace!)

Towel: save spots, dry off seats
Extra socks: I have sensitive feet and will need a change of socks.
Rain ponchos: guess what they are for...
water shoes: we will take off our sneakers and socks before any water ride (while in line) and slip on water shoes...no wet socks and feet! I will not walk around with wet or sweaty feet. (or else I'll have to go back to the room and soak for half a day!)

Also, on my last trip, I bought the disney bottled water holder lanyard thing, and I still have it. I WILL wear it. I really liked that it was easy to stay hydrated. It was a good investment (I think it was $2.00!)

Yes, I look like a tourist, but I'm a nice and comfortable tourist.

Pam

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
07-26-2003, 10:45 PM
Denise always wears her mickey fanny pack! It has some great compartments and she carries our sunchapstick,sunglasses,a couple shoutwipes,glass cleaners and some money. I carry a small thin over the shoulder bag w/most of the $ and our ultimate park hopper cards. Dawn carries a small backpack for the digital camera and stuff. We cover all the bases. Denise said she couldn't do Disney without her fanny pack! Have an awesome time at WDW!!! We are so.... jealous!! Give Mickey our love!! smile.gif Dawn,Denise&Diane

Disney_Girl
07-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Fanny packs are useful, however I try to avoid looking like a total tourist. I prefer keeping my things in a small backpack simply b/c its a better fashion choice. Just my opinion... :cool:

DisneyWizard
07-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Since this doesn't pertain to Theme Parks I'm going to move it over to Vacation Planning.

Hold on!

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
07-27-2003, 11:18 AM
My girlfriend started using fanny packs a few years back when she'd go out and not want to take her purse or at least leave it on a bar table while up for her turn at karaoke. One friend of hers had sticky fingers and prompted this. When she showed signs of interest in me I mentioned how I don't like fanny packs very much. I understand that she uses them at work (nurse, seems most of her coworkers do too) but I wouldn't be seen with someone in public with one. Amazingly, it was time to reassess what she needed to carry and when!

I noticed that she had a lot of "junk" on her keychain... besides 10 supermarket discount barcodes, keys to things that no longer existed or were accessible, and radio station trinkets from times when radios stations would have promotions at the bars. She would have several identical ones from each station. So when we were going to the local Six Flags and she chose this one pair of shorts with just two front pockets that zippered, the need for a purse or fanny pack was diminished but the huge/gigantic bulge of keys looked silly. Within minutes my suggestions were finally taken. I guess it took reality shock to get the point through.

Now she had this change purse (aka "the wallet") which has a spare key holder and just her car key is on it. Now its all we need when we go certain places. Everything else stays in the trunk. We can put our Six flags passes in there, or our ride tickets for the rides at the shore, or our room keys and hoppers at WDW. An atm card and a few dollars fits in too. Perfect! And she likes the cargo trend, so there is always a pocket whatever she is wearing when we go to such places. The only thing we carry is a water bottle, and not a refillable, but one that had store bought water that she refills at water fountains (what a mess!) and later we toss. Hey, it works! At WDW, we always get a locker and the camera/camcorder and tripod(s) go in there along with a towell or two and rain ponchos, plus whatever else. When it looks rainy, we head back and grab the ponchos. And we try to ride the rides first and then grab pictures. Works out great this way.

BTW, I carry nothing :D ok ok, I gotta lug the electronics around... and even then she'll grab something for me since videotaping and taking pictures of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth invloves two sets of electronics and two tripods, etc etc and its a long walk back! graemlins/rotfl.gif

Beast_fanatic
07-27-2003, 11:49 AM
The problem with using the lockers is that they don't move around with you. For instance, if it starts to rain and you're back in Frontierland, but your rain poncho is in the lockers under the Main Street train station, it's not going to help!

I carry a bag that is 8" tall, 6" wide and 3" deep that has a strap that can be worn over the shoulder like a purse or around the waist like a fanny pack. I also has an attached piece of fabric that a belt could be passed through so that you could eliminate the strap (of course that makes it hard to move on a ride). The bag has a pouch on the outside that is perfect for carrying sunglasses, another zippered pouch that is the length of the outside pouch, and a smaller zippered pouch that's great for stashing passes and money. The inside compartment is well-padded and carries my digital camera along with other paraphenalia such as a poncho. The bag was less than $10 and I got it at Kohl's. I don't know what brand it was, but I got it in the luggage area.

I love this bag because of its flexibility and durability. I use it while hot air ballooning too, and it's held up well to that.

WhiteRose1
07-27-2003, 12:07 PM
Personally I think cargo pants look kinda stupid, sorry. I never understood that style, never will. My fanny pack is a pocketbook style and I think that being fashion conscious
at WDW is being kinda silly, sorry.

I'll be wearing my very fashionable flat fannypack (about 6 inches wide and 4 inches high) and feeling totally comfortable.

Pam

technoarch
07-27-2003, 12:28 PM
may i suggest a camelbak to hold all of your belongings AND carry water with you while you are walking. They come in all different sizes but we have found that the "cloudwalker" from camelbak serves out needs very well. Its a backback/water holder(bladder). Its around $60-70 but it well worth it to have 2 liters of cold water at your fingertips!

BTW, i dont work for the company, i just really dig this product.

Patti
07-27-2003, 08:54 PM
I prefer my fannypack. Keep in mind all bags have to go through a security check before entering the park, even a fannypack. (At least it was this way the last two years we were there.)

I try to get in a line that has fewer backpacks and diaper bags the security CMs have to check. The line moves faster.

This year, I'm going to try a small wallet attached to my belt. This way I won't have to stop for security.

arm00leg
07-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Do yourself a favor and take a fanny pack, they will hold everything you need and don't get in the way on most rides. If you keep your money in it it's up front where you can keep an eye on it -unlike a back pack.
When you put a bottle of sunscreen, a camera, money, chapstick, bottle of water or juice in cargo pants don't your pants fall down? tongue.gif

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
07-27-2003, 11:41 PM
I understand that theory of lockers not moving with you - especially from the back of World Showcase. But that changes nothing. We look up in the sky and compare notes with the weatherman. My girlfriend has been pretty accurate about the "four o'clock showers" :D The idea is that we don't carry anything at all. We know where everything is, more or less. The times guide doesn't mean a thing cuz when you get there is when you get there. And you never know exactly how long you'll be getting on and off a ride, even with fastpass - things happen. ;)

I like to count fanny packs and and point them out to my girlfriend. Sorry. But cargo looks better to us. The packs don't flatter her body, and I'll just leave it at that (what if she sees this??). smile.gif I guess real cargo has bigger pockets and also some on the sides - but you know fashion - what a word really means and how its applied are two different things. Hardly anything she has comes with the side leg pockets. Our friends are going in a few weeks and one mentioned her backback in her planning - she does what she thinks is best for her, but I'd only have a backback on me if I were to wonder around Fort Wilderness. Like someone else said, that just isn't a vacation! Once we've been around the park having taken our fill of attractions, we are near the lockers anyway - so grab the camera gear. And for what its worth, no fanny pack can possibly hold the amount of gear I bring - shoulda mentioned that before (as if two tripods - actually one and one monopod - didn't tip things off!).

But I would consider the benefits of a fanny pack if it were to be used to hold a few hot dogs from Casey's for those moments when the walk is too far and the urge too great. graemlins/crazy.gif